Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

15 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I don’t see us or a&m hiring traylor.

I’m a fan of traylor and would be down to hire him. It’s not like we are getting someone one like urban,saban,Kelly,dabo, Riley . the first 3 already said no to us once.

The comment of a&m not hiring traylor after paying this massive buyout is spot on I think. Will traylor be on another team in 2-3 years when we need him? I find it a little hard to believe that Texas will hire someone from UTSA. But who knows. We will instead hire a loser from a P5 college. I feel like he is more fan fiction than reality. We will probably hire someone like Franklin if he doesn’t get fired before then. I could possible see them going after kiffen if he stays at ole miss. I don’t see him moving to a job this season then in a couple of years do the same thing but who knows he did it once.

I could see a&m go after kiffen. But when do we think they will actually pony up and pay the buyout? Not this year, not next, maybe 2 more years? That’s a lot of money.

In the current landscape of College Football I could see guys like Urban reconsidering us, I just don't won't to go down that path and I don't think we have to. Paying players is legal now. I don't like the fact that we could hire a dirty under the table butt fingering douche when we can recruit the best players and win without him.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And his 7-win first year is great when compared to the history of the program.  But it's a lot easier to engineer that kind of turnaround when you have a Conference USA schedule as opposed to one in a P5 program. 

I never understood this argument for any coach. How is it easier to win against a CUSA schedule when you have CUSA players? My 5th grader's basketball team is playing shit competition that can't hit a layup to save their life. She should dominate right? Except that she's a 5th grader and can't hit a layup to save her life. How is that an advantage?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I never understood this argument for any coach. How is it easier to win against a CUSA schedule when you have CUSA players? My 5th grader's basketball team is playing shit competition that can't hit a layup to save their life. She should dominate right? Except that she's a 5th grader and can't hit a layup to save her life. How is that an advantage?

The resources gap between schools in the G5 is even more massive than in the P5 schools like UH, UCF, and UC towered over their competition in recruiting, facilities and support staff.  So guys at the top programs Herman, Frost, Jones had a whole lot easier time leveraging that advantage then they did at their P5 schools.

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But they big dicked it and got the coach with the most wins in ND history. Will be interesting to see Kelly in the next 2-3 years with LSU talent.

if you are willing to guarantee $100m to someone, it opens up your applicant pool to a whole new candidate group

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you are willing to guarantee $100m to someone, it opens up your applicant pool to a whole new candidate group

I think that is something we will need to look into....USC/LSU set a precedent that just about anyone can be available for the right price and concessions. When you do it, just make damn sure you hit.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think that is something we will need to look into....USC/LSU set a precedent that just about anyone can be available for the right price and concessions. When you do it, just make damn sure you hit.

Yeah and look at MSU and A&M, so no fuck that bullshit the risks far out weigh the pros.

9 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Yeah and look at MSU and A&M, so no fuck that bullshit the risks far out weigh the pros.

You’re right. Let’s continue same thing we’ve been doing for 40 years

Just so we're clear if you could land one of Day, Kirby, Dabo, or Urban for fully guaranteed 10 year 100 million plus deal, you wouldn't?

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

In the current landscape of College Football I could see guys like Urban reconsidering us, I just don't won't to go down that path and I don't think we have to. Paying players is legal now. I don't like the fact that we could hire a dirty under the table butt fingering douche when we can recruit the best players and win without him.

Can we though?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

I don’t see us or a&m hiring traylor.

I’m a fan of traylor and would be down to hire him. It’s not like we are getting someone one like urban,saban,Kelly,dabo, Riley . the first 3 already said no to us once.

The comment of a&m not hiring traylor after paying this massive buyout is spot on I think. Will traylor be on another team in 2-3 years when we need him? I find it a little hard to believe that Texas will hire someone from UTSA. But who knows. We will instead hire a loser from a P5 college. I feel like he is more fan fiction than reality. We will probably hire someone like Franklin if he doesn’t get fired before then. I could possible see them going after kiffen if he stays at ole miss. I don’t see him moving to a job this season then in a couple of years do the same thing but who knows he did it once.

I could see a&m go after kiffen. But when do we think they will actually pony up and pay the buyout? Not this year, not next, maybe 2 more years? That’s a lot of money.

I'm all for hiring a coach on a team that is/has recently been ranking higher than Texas during that period, especially a team with less resources and athletic talent. Doesn't hurt if said team also happens to recruit in same area.

Agree, everything after Jimbo's title pointed to him being washed and regressing. 

So our best bet is to poach Kirby, Day, or Dabo!

Meant to add this to my original post-Not only do you have to have the money but the willingness to comply with what they want. A la Urban Meyer. We had the money just not the yes man attitude iirc.

Since we’re wish casting. I think Riley and Kelly were the perfect storm. OU didn’t have the resources and bagmen to lure the players. ND is ND. Too prestigious.

Who could we lure away? Ryan Day- why would he leave, he owns the big 10. Easy to win. Riley and Kelly ain’t leaving. Saban-will retire at bama. Dabo- maybe if he feels the heat for just winning 9-10 games a year but I’d imagine by the time we need a coach, bama might lock him up.
Urban could happen again but I’d assume we’d get him and he fails here too, because that’s the way it’s been going.

Forgot about smart but isn’t he a UGA alum? Would he really jump laterally in the same conference?

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Meant to add this to my original post-Not only do you have to have the money but the willingness to comply with what they want. A la Urban Meyer. We had the money just not the yes man attitude iirc.

Since we’re wish casting. I think Riley and Kelly were the perfect storm. OU didn’t have the resources and bagmen to lure the players. ND is ND. Too prestigious.

Who could we lure away? Ryan Day- why would he leave, he owns the big 10. Easy to win. Riley and Kelly ain’t leaving. Saban-will retire at bama. Dabo- maybe if he feels the heat for just winning 9-10 games a year but I’d imagine by the time we need a coach, bama might lock him up.
Urban could happen again but I’d assume we’d get him and he fails here too, because that’s the way it’s been going.

Forgot about smart but isn’t he a UGA alum? Would he really jump laterally in the same conference?

The bolded underlined part IMO is what needs to change at Texas. 

I just don't see Urban not working. His entire history says he's successful no matter where he went in college.

Kirby is a Georgia Alumn so I now have a new name. Kyle Shanahan, MAKE HIM SAY NO!

Of all the ones mentioned Dabo seems like it could be a realistic option if we laid our nuts out IMO. Clemson to Texas is an upgrade in multiple areas of football but see above with the underlined/bolded portion needing to change.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I just don't see Urban not working. His entire history says he's successful no matter where he went in college. The bolded underlined part IMO is what needs to change at Texas. 

Kirby is a Georgia Alumn so I now have a new name. Kyle Shanahan, MAKE HIM SAY NO!

I was about to say Kyle Shanahan should be the first, second, third, and last call Texas makes in the next coaching search. I Don’t care how unrealistic it is or how much people say he’ll never leave the NFL make him say no a thousand times if you have to. 

Dabo would also be great if he’d ever take advantage of the portal. 

Edited by TXRed

8 minutes ago, TXRed said:

I was about to say Kyle Shanahan should be the first, second, third, and last call Texas makes in the next coaching search. I Don’t care how unrealistic it is or how much people say he’ll never leave the NFL make him say no a thousand times if you have to. 

AFAIK Shanahan was reached out to before even the Urban Meyer shit got stirred up. Due diligence was done there just as a hail marry. Zero interest in coaching college at this point though who knows maybe it will have changed by the time we dump Steve ScottFrostian. 

Honestly if we are going to play the "who might be our next coach?" game I think the two to watch are just Traylor and Dykes. How Traylor does with his next class of players will be key as will how Dykes continues at TCU while likely losing Garret Riley this winter to a larger program. CDC loved the idea of Dykes before and would certainly be his champion were Sark to get like hit by a bus tomorrow or something. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I just don't see Urban not working.

Dude, give it up. The college game, and football in general, has passed him by. His tactics don't work anymore with everything that has changed since he left the college game. He is one of the greatest college coaches of all time and he will ride off into the sunset that way. His coaching career outside of him randomly deciding to coach in the XFL or some garbage league is over.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dude, give it up. The college game, and football in general, has passed him by. His tactics don't work anymore with everything that has changed since he left the college game. He is one of the greatest college coaches of all time and he will ride off into the sunset that way. His coaching career is over.

Very weird time to judge coaches. The portal is a significant change in the dynamics. It will be interesting to how different coaches handle roster management going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dude, give it up. The college game, and football in general, has passed him by. His tactics don't work anymore with everything that has changed since he left the college game. He is one of the greatest college coaches of all time and he will ride off into the sunset that way. His coaching career outside of him randomly deciding to coach in the XFL or some garbage league is over.

Brian Kelly is 3 years older and generally seen as a hard ass coach that expects a lot. This team would be 11-1 or 10-2 next year with him at the helm. Great coaches like that who still have fire in the tank will win big quickly here or any other blue blood. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Brian Kelly is 3 years older and generally seen as a hard ass coach that expects a lot. This team would be 11-1 or 10-2 next year with him at the helm. Great coaches like that who still have fire in the tank will win big quickly here or any other blue blood. 

Yup but hey Urban Meyer won every where else but he wont' win at Texas because the game passed him by!

Nick Saban is older
Brian kelly is older

Im sure the game passed them by

The hard ass tactics work when you win....he's a winner. Even CTJ says he'd take Urban in a heartbeat but shit not that know it all @Hookem2147 

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Urban Meyer is not a hard ass anymore. He has transitioned to a dumbass.

Great coach, but coaching career is done and he has no one to blame but himself.

• Haha 1

If we could get Urban Meyer, I'd be lead driver in a line of U-Hauls to forcibly remove Steve Sarkisian from Austin. And I actually LIKE Steve Sarkisian and think he is doing a good job to build a better program than we've seen in a long while.

I'd take him, in a heartbeat, over everyone else, including Saban (due to age).

The dude's all-time winning percentage is 86% in well over 200 games. He's a god.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, bad_teammate said:

If we could get Urban Meyer, I'd be lead driver in a line of U-Hauls to forcibly remove Steve Sarkisian from Austin. And I actually LIKE Steve Sarkisian and think he is doing a good job to build a better program than we've seen in a long while.

I'd take him, in a heartbeat, over everyone else, including Saban (due to age).

The dude's all-time winning percentage is 86% in well over 200 games. He's a god.

Unfortunately the game has passed him by according to 2147. :(

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The game hasn't passed him by.. He hired Day who took over once he had to leave.  I think everyone is basing his demise over what happened at Jax..  He's still a terrific college coach who makes solid hires.  If we were to move on from Sark in the very near future, Urban would be #1 on that list.

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

lmao you're so fucking stupid

What's fucking stupid is seeing you bounce around this board into various threads with the same 3 lines you use every damn week. We get it. You don't like our current coach and wish we had Urban Meyer. Whoop de doo. I'll probably get on IT later today and see you posting under another username when you get your current one banned again. You are insufferable prick who refuses to acknowledge the fact that circumstances and things change in college football year over year.

You just tried to tell me that Urban Meyer has won everywhere he's ever been and the dude was just fired from his last job coaching football after 13 games because he was so incompetent. The dude couldn't manage his staff, players laughed in his face, he didn't know the names of his players or the opponents in which he was facing and was on the verge of TEARS after losing a PRESEASON game. The dude is borderline mentally unstable and he is done coaching football. If he is so damn good and so ready to go, why hasn't any other school hired him? Why are you the only one that has discovered this God coach who is available, ready to coach at a high level, recruit the portal, retain current players, hire a staff, kiss boosters asses and win 10 games a year? Why hasn't anyone else discovered this hidden gem?

He is good football coach who is done coaching football and you are one of the few people who still think he will one day coach at Texas. There's a difference between wanting him to coach at Texas 2 years ago and acknowledging that he isn't a realistic candidate two years later. Shit changed. Kinda like when you spent all of last season in the Casey Thompson thread defending him before dancing on his grave 3 months later.

I'm sure you'll respond to this with one of your smart-ass comments before you run and go hide behind one of posting buddies that agrees with you. 

I don't mind arguing and seeing people with different viewpoints but you just have no feel to how to interact with others. It's sad.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What's fucking stupid is seeing you bounce around this board into various threads with the same 3 lines you use every damn week. We get it. You don't like our current coach and wish we had Urban Meyer. Whoop de doo. I'll probably get on IT later today and see you posting under another username when you get your current one banned again. You are insufferable prick who refuses to acknowledge the fact that circumstances and things change in college football year over year.

You just tried to tell me that Urban Meyer has won everywhere he's ever been and the dude was just fired from his last job coaching football after 13 games because he was so incompetent. The dude couldn't manage his staff, players laughed in his face, he didn't know the names of his players or the opponents in which he was facing and was on the verge of TEARS after losing a preseason game. The dude is borderline mentally unstable and he is done coaching football. If he is so damn good and so ready to go, why hasn't any other school hired him? Why are you the only one that has discovered this God coach who is available, ready to coach at a high level, recruit the portal, retain current players, hire a staff, kiss boosters asses and win 10 games a year? Why hasn't anyone else discovered this hidden gem?

He is good football coach who is done coaching football and you are one of the few people who still think he will one day coach at Texas. There's a difference between wanting him to coach at Texas 2 years ago and acknowledging that he isn't a realistic candidate two years later. Shit changed. Kinda like when you spent all of last season in the Casey Thompson thread defending him before dancing on his grave 3 months later.

I'm sure you'll respond to this with one of your smart-ass comments before you run and go hide behind one of posting buddies that agrees with you. 

I don't mind arguing and seeing people with different viewpoints but you just have no feel to how to interact with others. It's sad.

Facts say sark is a sorry ass coach. 

facts say urban is a great coach

your feelings and opinions ignore facts. Dumb mother fucker. 

Damn Nick Saban must suck them because he failed at coaching in the NFL. THATS YOUR LOGIC RIGHT NOW WITH URBAN 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Facts say sark is a sorry ass coach. 

facts say urban is a great coach

your feelings and opinions ignore facts. Dumb mother fucker. 

I love how your default whenever you get into any type of argument is "Sark sucks". Even when the topic has nothing to do with him.

Thanks for pointing that out. Really insightful. Go run to one of your buddies now or go create another handle on IT to post under.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I love how your default whenever you get into any type of argument is "Sark sucks". Even when the topic has nothing to do with him.

Thanks for pointing that out. Really insightful. Go run to one of your buddies now or go create another handle on IT to post under.

Get out of your feelings pussy. 

F052C162-06B7-4F37-8218-8C43A648105D.png

514F61EF-EEFE-407A-A8F8-3753E62254C5.jpeg

Having @BurntOrange&White and @Hookem2147 in the Jimbo 2023 thread debate the merits of Urban Meyer as Sark's replacement in an apparent grudge match ofwho can make the dumbest possible argument while Sark being replaced won't even come up for at least another 2 years at which time Urban Meyer will most likely not be a real candidate is peak Surly. 

All I can say is both of you absolutely belong here. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TXRed said:

Dabo would also be great if he’d ever take advantage of the portal. 

Maybe it's just me, but making someone say no a thousand times seems like a waste of time

• Haha 1