Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

Briles makes sense. They're both desperate. And no good coach or agent will entertain A&M if they weasel out of their guaranteed contract to Jimbo. I'm also guessing that every single other agent and coach in America will be in Jimbo/Sexton's ear telling them that they cannot settle for anything less than the full guaranteed amount. It's akin to players in free agency feeling that they need to accept the best offer because offering a home-town discount lowers the compensation floor for every other player throughout the league, and doing so may fuck another player out of their money. 

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Briles makes sense. They're both desperate. And no good coach or agent will entertain A&M if they weasel out of their guaranteed contract to Jimbo. I'm also guessing that every single other agent and coach in America will be in Jimbo/Sexton's ear telling them that they cannot settle for anything less than the full guaranteed amount. It's akin to players in free agency feeling that they need to accept the best offer because offering a home-town discount lowers the compensation floor for every other player throughout the league, and doing so may fuck another player out of their money. 

While I think aggy would do it - it would require Jimbo to not only change his offense but also the way his team practices.  Can't see Jimbo going that far.

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While I think aggy would do it - it would require Jimbo to not only change his offense but also the way his team practices.  Can't see Jimbo going that far.

I'm saying they fire Jimbo and hire Briles to be the HC. No fucking way Briles is gonna join that staff as OC and have Jimbo be the meddling fuck that he is. That ain't ever gonna happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm saying they fire Jimbo and hire Briles to be the HC. No fucking way Briles is gonna join that staff as OC and have Jimbo be the meddling fuck that he is. That ain't ever gonna happen.

I won’t put anything past the aggies, but the Briles take is lazy and stupid. He’s 67 or about to be. He’s going to require them to defend him against all comers for the entirety of his stay. They hate being put in a negative light more than anything else. They’re so insecure about it that it dominates their worldview. The Veer and Shoot or whatever the fuck it is called is no longer a mystery to defenses. If Briles couldn’t stick with a CFL team or Southern Miss in non-HC roles, Texas ATM isn’t weathering a storm for him as the  head coach, on top of paying $90+ million in staff buyout money. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I won’t put anything past the aggies, but the Briles take is lazy and stupid. He’s 67 or about to be. He’s going to require them to defend him against all comers for the entirety of his stay. They hate being put in a negative light more than anything else. They’re so insecure about it that it dominates their worldview. The Veer and Shoot or whatever the fuck it is called is no longer a mystery to defenses. If Briles couldn’t stick with a CFL team or Southern Miss in non-HC roles, Texas ATM isn’t weathering a storm for him as the  head coach, on top of paying $90+ million in staff buyout money. 

Oh, I agree with you. It would be absurd and untenable. I was really just pointing out that they're in similarly desperate situations which might make both parties think about it for a moment. I don't think it's really gonna happen. 

Let’s say they fire Jimbo this year and buyout the whole staff, over pay for another hire.  In three years if the new guy doesn’t workout are their boosters really going to pay $16 plus million a year on buyouts and pay a new staff again?  This could go really really bad for them.  

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You're right about Briles.  They will probably go after Urban or Saban.

30 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You're right about Briles.  They will probably go after Urban or Saban.

I would take Urban right now over Steve Sarkisian, so I would envy that hire. Folks can blah blah blah about his ethics or energy or whatever the fuck, but I’d take my chances over the loser on campus. I’d prefer ATM go after someone like Chip Kelly or Dan Mullen than Urban Meyer. My nightmare is that hire Jeff Traylor before Texas can hire him. Or maybe I don’t give a fuck anymore. I can just hope we eventually get lucky before they do, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 7

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My nightmare is that hire Jeff Traylor before Texas can hire him. Or maybe I don’t give a fuck anymore. I can just hope we eventually get lucky before they do, I guess. 

Great, here come the boners for Jeff Traylor.  I just don't get the fascination some folks have with him.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Great, here come the boners for Jeff Traylor.  I just don't get the fascination some folks have with him.

1) I don't have a "boner" for any given coach. My guess is that any of them coming to Texas will find a way to fuck it up.

2) I'd take Traylor above most at this point, but maybe I need to watch more football.

3) You appear to be taking some sort of contrarian position that implies that you think the guy isn't much to talk about as a candidate. That is your bullshit to both unpack and defend.

The guy lost double digit starters from last year's conference championship team and he has them 8-2 and about to win the conference again. He recruits Texas well and has great relationships at both high schools and with trainers/agents. He has a low buyout for a UT system school hiring him and his salary wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Also, he coaches sound, tough football. 

Could there be better candidates for UT or ATM outside of the humorless takes about Belichick or Saban? Maybe. I'd like to hear the realistic list. 

• Hook 'Em 8

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) I don't have a "boner" for any given coach. My guess is that any of them coming to Texas will find a way to fuck it up.

2) I'd take Traylor above most at this point, but maybe I need to watch more football.

3) You appear to be taking some sort of contrarian position that implies that you think the guy isn't much to talk about as a candidate. That is your bullshit to both unpack and defend.

The guy lost double digit starters from last year's conference championship team and he has them 8-2 and about to win the conference again. He recruits Texas well and has great relationships at both high schools and with trainers/agents. He has a low buyout for a UT system school hiring him and his salary wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Also, he coaches sound, tough football. 

Could there be better candidates for UT or ATM outside of the humorless takes about Belichick or Saban? Maybe. I'd like to hear the realistic list. 

I want to see Traylor do it with another quarterback but other than that I agree with you. The only other better realistic candidate I can think of is Matt Rhule. 

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I love how speculation about the unlikely occurence of Texas getting rid of Sark (I don't want to this soon), we not only have a prospective coach named, but we're getting into who he should keep off the current staff.

Surly with a captial S.

Well, you're being a little ridiculous to make a point, but you know that. HTown was the only poster working on the staff keepers. Outside of that, the discussion was about ATM hiring Traylor, which would be undesirable to most of us outside of South Austin, I presume. 

I've been very, very repetitive that I think Sarkisian gets 4 years here, irrespective of on-field results, unless he's found in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. I don't think anyone is seriously discussing his termination as happening anytime soon. We're on a bullet train to 6-7 this year, and then somewhere between 5-7 and 7-6 in 2023 and 2024, so I don't think anyone is out of bounds wishing to see an exit, but I don't think it's happening.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, you're being a little ridiculous to make a point, but you know that. HTown was the only poster working on the staff keepers. Outside of that, the discussion was about ATM hiring Traylor, which would be undesirable to most of us outside of South Austin, I presume. 

I've been very, very repetitive that I think Sarkisian gets 4 years here, irrespective of on-field results, unless he's found in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. I don't think anyone is seriously discussing his termination as happening anytime soon. We're on a bullet train to 6-7 this year, and then somewhere between 5-7 and 7-6 in 2023 and 2024, so I don't think anyone is out of bounds wishing to see an exit, but I don't think it's happening.

Also, I am being ridiculous to make a point, but I feel like there's almost an expectation that I should do that at least once a day.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You appear to be taking some sort of contrarian position that implies that you think the guy isn't much to talk about as a candidate. That is your bullshit to both unpack and defend.

I discussed this when we shitcanned Tom Herman, and others agreed so it was hardly contrarian, but if you want some unpacking, here it goes.

When we sent Herman packing two years ago, a number of folks on this site geeked out about Jeff Traylor as a possible candidate because of his high school connections and his ties to Texas after two years as a Charlie Strong assistant, where he had quickly built a reputation as a good recruiter, but we had no idea of his college coaching competency given how horrendous the Strong era was.  At that time, he was coming off a 7-5 record at UTSA.  Hey, not a bad record for your first year on this planet as a college head coach, but some folks couldn't understand why you just don't hand the Texas job to a guy with only one year of head coaching experience, and at a school playing in Conference Fucking USA.

And now, two years later?  He's got a nice little record down there in San Antonio.  He's currently 8-2, but his wins are over schools like Texas Southern, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Florida International, and University of Alabama at Birmingham, and it's not like he's blowing those schools out of the water.  He doesn't have any signature win over a decent program.  At least Tom Herman at Houston had wins over Florida State, OU (ranked 3 at the time), and Louisville (ranked 3 at the time with Lamar Jackson as QB).  Traylor's wins don't have anything to show for other than beating the UTEP's of college football.

Do I think there's never, ever going to be a time when the idea of Texas hiring Jeff Traylor as its head coach is worthy of discussion?  No.  But based on his relatively short head coaching record at a middling program, I just don't see how you can say that right now that your "nightmare" is aggy hiring him before Texas can. 

But I can understand how the last 10 years has beaten you down such that you'd be willing to give this guy a shot at head coach of the Longhorns (and hey, he's got a championship on his resume).

A9ECCE9C-0538-4F03-9248-B7BAAAEC1E49.jpeg.7112d44051d13a76b2a996290828e603.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I am worried they are going to hire Elko, they completely collapse as a program with Elko gone and he immediately turns around a liquid shit Duke team, makes me think he was dragging A&Ms program across the finish line while he was there.

That would be the most insightful and rational thing to do, so we're probably safe from this reality. 

Elko has only sparingly come up because no one cares enough Duke to see how well he has been doing 

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I discussed this when we shitcanned Tom Herman, and others agreed so it was hardly contrarian, but if you want some unpacking, here it goes.

When we sent Herman packing two years ago, a number of folks on this site geeked out about Jeff Traylor as a possible candidate because of his high school connections and his ties to Texas after two years as a Charlie Strong assistant, where he had quickly built a reputation as a good recruiter, but we had no idea of his college coaching competency given how horrendous the Strong era was.  At that time, he was coming off a 7-5 record at UTSA.  Hey, not a bad record for your first year on this planet as a college head coach, but some folks couldn't understand why you just don't hand the Texas job to a guy with only one year of head coaching experience, and at a school playing in Conference Fucking USA.

And now, two years later?  He's got a nice little record down there in San Antonio.  He's currently 8-2, but his wins are over schools like Texas Southern, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Florida International, and University of Alabama at Birmingham, and it's not like he's blowing those schools out of the water.  He doesn't have any signature win over a decent program.  At least Tom Herman at Houston had wins over Florida State, OU (ranked 3 at the time), and Louisville (ranked 3 at the time with Lamar Jackson as QB).  Traylor's wins don't have anything to show for other than beating the UTEP's of college football.

Do I think there's never, ever going to be a time when the idea of Texas hiring Jeff Traylor as its head coach is worthy of discussion?  No.  But based on his relatively short head coaching record at a middling program, I just don't see how you can say that right now that your "nightmare" is aggy hiring him before Texas can. 

But I can understand how the last 10 years has beaten you down such that you'd be willing to give this guy a shot at head coach of the Longhorns (and hey, he's got a championship on his resume).

A9ECCE9C-0538-4F03-9248-B7BAAAEC1E49.jpeg.7112d44051d13a76b2a996290828e603.jpeg

I am not sure what 10 years you're talking about inside the punishment of the last 13 years, but I guess you've got a shrine built for the 2018 season in your mancave or something. It's been a 13 year wandering with more to come for the rest of us and the program. 

You've certainly offered up a defense by moving your goalposts from 2 years ago. "He's had one year and went 7-5." to now: "He's got no signature wins, other than winning the conference he's coaching in for the past 2 seasons. It's reminiscent of Urban Meyer's tenure at Bowling Green. Both kind of 'meh'." 

You already pulled the self-own on that position by pointing out the fact that Herman had several signature wins at UH and that showed the predictability of precisely dick for his future at Texas. 

Traylor coaches fundamentally sound football teams that play tough. He won titles at the HS level and I recited the other thoughts in his argument otherwise. Texas ignoring him and watching him go to ATM and actually developing them into a conference title winner/CFP participant would, yes, be a nightmare scenario. Are there better candidates for both schools? Maybe. It's not like any of it matters this year anyway.

After 2024, I assume there's a shot both programs are mining through the candidate lists and maybe the guy is still winning at UTSA and part of that process? Maybe he falls flat on his face the next two years and he's irrelevant? I could see either thing, but I don't really see the point in being dismissive about him now. You do not have data on your side. You therefore have to fall back on arguing for the absence of data. That alone should be enough to give you pause on the drive-by shot at other informed posters on this board. But it didn't. So now we can follow the course of his career and I'll take petty glee in mocking you along the way if his star continues to rise. 

In any event, I am not committed to the guy as the best candidate now, and I certainly viewed the possibility of hiring him in 2020 as absurd, even if potentially inspired. You chose to take issue with an otherwise semi-absurd about the futility of the coaching situation at both schools, but I've generally given up on trying to figure out who the right guy will be for Texas at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am not sure what 10 years you're talking about inside the punishment of the last 13 years, but I guess you've got a shrine built for the 2018 season in your mancave or something. It's been a 13 year wandering with more to come for the rest of us and the program. 

You've certainly offered up a defense by moving your goalposts from 2 years ago. "He's had one year and went 7-5." to now: "He's got no signature wins, other than winning the conference he's coaching in for the past 2 seasons. It's reminiscent of Urban Meyer's tenure at Bowling Green. Both kind of 'meh'." 

You already pulled the self-own on that position by pointing out the fact that Herman had several signature wins at UH and that showed the predictability of precisely dick for his future at Texas. 

Traylor coaches fundamentally sound football teams that play tough. He won titles at the HS level and I recited the other thoughts in his argument otherwise. Texas ignoring him and watching him go to ATM and actually developing them into a conference title winner/CFP participant would, yes, be a nightmare scenario. Are there better candidates for both schools? Maybe. It's not like any of it matters this year anyway.

After 2024, I assume there's a shot both programs are mining through the candidate lists and maybe the guy is still winning at UTSA and part of that process? Maybe he falls flat on his face the next two years and he's irrelevant? I could see either thing, but I don't really see the point in being dismissive about him now. You do not have data on your side. You therefore have to fall back on arguing for the absence of data. That alone should be enough to give you pause on the drive-by shot at other informed posters on this board. But it didn't. So now we can follow the course of his career and I'll take petty glee in mocking you along the way if his star continues to rise. 

In any event, I am not committed to the guy as the best candidate now, and I certainly viewed the possibility of hiring him in 2020 as absurd, even if potentially inspired. You chose to take issue with an otherwise semi-absurd about the futility of the coaching situation at both schools, but I've generally given up on trying to figure out who the right guy will be for Texas at this point. 

Oh yeah? What about that time I found you naked with that bowl of Jell-O (and a picture of Jeff Traylor)?

• Haha 9

For any Traylor consideration (for me)  he will have to go to some place like Ole Miss, Kansas, WVU, or Louisville this off-season and be immediately successful (all of those could be without a coach in a month). He might be really good or he could just be moderately successful but he's not going to be bad. At that point there might be more data on him with assembling a staff, game management,  recruiting, and developing. By then we will be probably firing Sark after year 3 or sometime in 4th. We can make an informed decision.  I kind of wish he took the tech job to cut his teeth and we can see him in a bigger conference. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

this is really all there is to it.

really.   tht's all there is to it.   Everything that's happening, has happened and will happen only needs to cover one bar.....

that one.

Traylor seems like he belongs here and I don't think aggy has the ability to think in a way that would allow him to be a candidate there.

Urban Meyer, tho....that I can see. 

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

And yet here they are, the ridicule of the CFB world.

Their on-field performance, their off-field idiocy, their business idiocy, all of it. Everything all of us have seen all our lives the entire CFB world is laughing at now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I just can't see him getting for if we do go 6-7 this year. Hell I think 7-6 is most likely at this point. 

6-7 would put him right with Charlie Strong in terms of W/L in first two years.

For instance, lets say he goes 8-4 at best next year is that good enough in 3 years?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

14 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

I am worried they are going to hire Elko, they completely collapse as a program with Elko gone and he immediately turns around a liquid shit Duke team, makes me think he was dragging A&Ms program across the finish line while he was there.

It's quite impressive what he's done record wise at Duke so far:

Especially with duke being 3-9, 2-9, 5-7 the 3 years prior.

Imo, A&M isn't passing the hat around to pay the biggest buyout ever in college sport to then hire a relatively small name like Traylor or Elko, unless those guys do something in the next two years like make a NY6 bowl in Traylor's case or win the ACC in Elko's case 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

At that time, he was coming off a 7-5 record at UTSA.  Hey, not a bad record for your first year on this planet as a college head coach, but some folks couldn't understand why you just don't hand the Texas job to a guy with only one year of head coaching experience, and at a school playing in Conference Fucking USA.

Here is UTSA before Jeff Traylor:

• 4-6
  • 8-4 (included wins over 2 D2 programs, 2 FCS programs and a 1-11 NM State)
  • 7-5
  • 4-8
  • 3-9
  • 6-7
  • 6-5
  • 3-9
  • 4-8

That comes out to an average of 5.0 wins and 6.8 losses. a 42.45 winning %

Here is UTSA after Jeff Traylor was hired:

• 7-5
  • 12-1
  • 8-2 (so far)

in the 6 years before Jeff Traylor was there they had 26 total wins. in less than 3 seasons after he was hired, they have 27 wins. Traylor has a 77.14 winning %

UTSA has existed as a program for 12 years. in 12 years they went to 1 bowl game. Traylor is 3/3.

the CUSA comment is legitimate, but stop acting like he is and was shit for taking a team that won 7 total games in the 2 years before he was hired and then winning 7 games his first season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

the CUSA comment is legitimate, but stop acting like he is and was shit for taking a team that won 7 total games in the 2 years before he was hired and then winning 7 games his first season.

I've never acted like he is and was shit.  To be clear, I am a Jeff Traylor fan, and I thought that one of Herman's many blunders out of the gate at Texas was his failure to retain Traylor.  I'd like for him to continue his upward trajectory and get a job on a level above UTSA, wherever that might be.  I just didn't think he was ready for something like the Texas job in 2020, and I still don't think he's there given his relatively short college career at a lower level program. 

And his 7-win first year is great when compared to the history of the program.  But it's a lot easier to engineer that kind of turnaround when you have a Conference USA schedule as opposed to one in a P5 program. 

If a program like aggy or some other P5 school hires Traylor after this season and he kills it, I'll gladly eat a serving of crow from all of you.  Just go easy on the liquid smoke.

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've never acted like he is and was shit.  To be clear, I am a Jeff Traylor fan, and I thought that one of Herman's many blunders out of the gate at Texas was his failure to retain Traylor.  I'd like for him to continue his upward trajectory and get a job on a level above UTSA, wherever that might be.  I just didn't think he was ready for something like the Texas job in 2020, and I still don't think he's there given his relatively short college career at a lower level program. 

And his 7-win first year is great when compared to the history of the program.  But it's a lot easier to engineer that kind of turnaround when you have a Conference USA schedule as opposed to one in a P5 program. 

If a program like aggy or some other P5 school hires Traylor after this season and he kills it, I'll gladly eat a serving of crow from all of you.  Just go easy on the liquid smoke.

Your postings seems to limit choices to like 2-3 active coaches. Do you have a list of coaches who meet your criteria?

• Like 1

I don’t see us or a&m hiring traylor.

I’m a fan of traylor and would be down to hire him. It’s not like we are getting someone one like urban,saban,Kelly,dabo, Riley . the first 3 already said no to us once.

The comment of a&m not hiring traylor after paying this massive buyout is spot on I think. Will traylor be on another team in 2-3 years when we need him? I find it a little hard to believe that Texas will hire someone from UTSA. But who knows. We will instead hire a loser from a P5 college. I feel like he is more fan fiction than reality. We will probably hire someone like Franklin if he doesn’t get fired before then. I could possible see them going after kiffen if he stays at ole miss. I don’t see him moving to a job this season then in a couple of years do the same thing but who knows he did it once.

I could see a&m go after kiffen. But when do we think they will actually pony up and pay the buyout? Not this year, not next, maybe 2 more years? That’s a lot of money.