Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

34 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

This. "You're destroying the program so if you don't leave we'll destroy the program" is totally on-brand for aggy, but not exactly a great negotiating tactic.

There was post to this effect quoted on one of these threads. 

You're a proud man Jimbo with a legacy that will be destroyed if you stay here and keep losing. We're Aggies and accustomed to that kind of humiliation, so we will outlast you on that front. Why not just take this money and go?

I'm serious. I believe I parodied the notion with having Jimbo feign concern then:

spacer.png

However, I also floated the idea that an offer of $40MM might be very tempting as Jimbo has already "earned" something like $35MM from these idiots. That sum would put him at the amount of the original contract. If the program is shit in his opinion with just about no upside, why put up with the aggravation?

I wouldn't, but I'm not the kind of person driven enough to be a multi-millionaire.

25 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

However, I also floated the idea that an offer of $40MM might be very tempting as Jimbo has already "earned" something like $35MM from these idiots. That sum would put him at the amount of the original contract. If the program is shit in his opinion with just about no upside, why put up with the aggravation?

I wouldn't, but I'm not the kind of person driven enough to be a multi-millionaire.

The only plausible scenario I can think of is if his agent convinced someone like WVU to hire him for ~ 40% of his remaining contract fully guaranteed and A&M agreed to pay the remaining ~ 60% through the curent term.   Now whether WVU or anyone else would do that is another story (I think Jimbo would be a horrible Big 12 fit for numerous reasons) but that is the kind of exit that could make sense.

Edited by Skipper

Let me try to analogize. 

you have signed a contract to dig ditches using a backhoe. The work lasts 10 years and pays 9 million a year, fully guaranteed if you don’t quit. After a year, people are questioning your work. Where you dig, how deep, how far you’ve progressed. You say tough shit, I do what I do. 

they say, we are going to take your backhoe away and give you a shovel, to make the work as unpleasant as possible for the next 9 years.   

or, you could take 30 or 40 million right now (or even over 5 years or something) and never have to deal with that shovel. 

doesn’t that offer at least sound appealing enough to consider?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let’s hope. 

He's not going anywhere voluntarily.  He's going to Jerry Jones this shit.  It's not about money.  It's about legacy.  He's going to shit all over the bed, convinced someone else is the problem until they have to haul him away in a bag.

And it's going to be glorious to watch.

What's even better - with the Cowboys worth billions and Jimbo's generational wealth locked in, neither have a true incentive to win.  They get paid either way

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let me try to analogize. 

you have signed a contract to dig ditches using a backhoe. The work lasts 10 years and pays 9 million a year, fully guaranteed if you don’t quit. After a year, people are questioning your work. Where you dig, how deep, how far you’ve progressed. You say tough shit, I do what I do. 

they say, we are going to take your backhoe away and give you a shovel, to make the work as unpleasant as possible for the next 9 years.   

or, you could take 30 or 40 million right now (or even over 5 years or something) and never have to deal with that shovel. 

Not if you only dig an inch deep with the shovel. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let me try to analogize. 

What about the possibility that your employer gets so tired of you ruining his company that he pays you the entire contract after only 5 years of work?

Is the extra $50mm+ worth 5 years of getting yelled at for acting like you're digging?

• Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Well without support, his legacy will be turning a perennial 8-4 also ran into a perennial 6-6 tire fire. 

We see it.

The ags see it

The rest of the country sees it

Apparently he does not.  There are only two realistic options left:  hubris or incompetence.  

Just now, hook me said:

What about the possibility that your employer gets so tired of you ruining his company that he pays you the entire contract after only 5 years of work?

Is the extra $50mm+ worth 5 years of getting yelled at for acting like you're digging?

We’re all motivated to decisions differently, yeah?  What’s the read on jimbo?  He bailed on fsu, but maybe only because he found a safe landing on a pile of money at aggy. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We’re all motivated to decisions differently, yeah?  What’s the read on jimbo?  He bailed on fsu, but maybe only because he found a safe landing on a pile of money at aggy. 

Oh I have no clue what to expect from Jimbo. I'd personally be fine walking away with $40mm to not work at his age, but maybe that's just me. It's just an important part of the equation that wasn't included. I couldn't imagine Jimbo walking away with less than 1/2 of the remainder of the contract - whatever that may be at the time of negotiations since he holds all the leverage.

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It's A&M.  They'll probably just pull a Tech, fire him, not pay him, and rely on their immunity and the statutory caps to protect them.  

it's crystal how much this make sense.  it's a tactical nuke but it's less expensive than a $120m walkaway check.

there is a 49% chance sharp has already decided this path but he can't launch until bowl eligibility is gone.

but sharp also has a problem in that they can bury the $9m salary in their annual AUF shell game.

the source and G/L debit entry for Nine Figures is going to be a bitch to scrub for FOIA.

that's why this would be beautiful beyond compare because it would crack open the subject of State of Texas Constitution diverstiture of aggy in the lege when they are forced to show how they appropriate the AUF payments.   since aggy are a branch College of the UT System as they are today according to the Texas Constitution they have a specious argument to maintain their 1/3rd annual share of the AUF.  paying out jimbo could truly be a 100-year decision.

+++

there is another edge case i haven't seen anyone postulate.....

jimbo could use his own money to hand out bags to seniors, upper classmen, recruits they are not in for at all right now, the portal, just go wild

hand out $10m of his money

what does he have to lose?

if that bought him 2 years, he's $10m ahead

the pirate put tech on the map and they broke his contract for bullshit

jimbo is erasing aggy from the map and has the CW fLOU incident, an actual, real, case of shenanigans

was it steelshank that posted "sharp has been awful quiet lately"???

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's crystal how much this make sense.  it's a tactical nuke but it's less expensive than a $120m walkaway check.

there is a 49% chance sharp has already decided this path but he can't launch until bowl eligibility is gone.

but sharp also has a problem in that they can bury the $9m salary in their annual AUF shell game.

the source and G/L debit entry for Nine Figures is going to be a bitch to scrub for FOIA.

that's why this would be beautiful beyond compare because it would crack open the subject of State of Texas Constitution diverstiture of aggy in the lege when they are forced to show how they appropriate the AUF payments.   since aggy are a branch College of the UT System as they are today according to the Texas Constitution they have a specious argument to maintain their 1/3rd annual share of the AUF.  paying out jimbo could truly be a 100-year decision.

+++

jimbo could use his own money to hand out bags to seniors, upper classmen, recruits they are not in for at all right now, the portal, just go wild

jimbo is erasing aggy from the map and has the CW fLOU incident, an actual, real, case of shenanigans

That is a seriously Randy Duke-esque breakdown.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hook me said:

Yes, it's worth it. I see no way in hell that Dumbo leaves any money on the table.  But if he does,  he's more stupid than I thought. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let me try to analogize. 

why would that be appealing to me? 

Especially that part where I take it over 5 years or something...  my something would be "right now".  I can lean on my shovel and "think about digging" a whole hell of a lot longer than they can work around the hole they're paying for but not getting.  Best I could offer is 50 mil now, and you increase it to 50-55 later.  But not much later... 

Negotiations are tough when you have no leverage whatsoever other than "making it hard on you".  And you can see what whip-smart negotiators he's dealing with just by seeing what he got when he didn't have all the leverage! 

• Hook 'Em 1

If the Aggies welch on their deal, I wonder if their next savior coach will demand half the money in the contract up front.

Urban, we'll pay you $13MM a year for 7 years! 

I'll have $45.5MM of that in cash by the end of the week. Each annual check will be paid at the end of the previous season. In exchange, I will recognize your commitment to me in the contract to make you feel good.

OMG! We signed Urban who the media has slandered all these years. He loves being at A&M. It was secretly his dream job forever. Oh boy! Next year will be great!

Urban takes the 45 + 6.5 to walk in the door and decides to coast because of his health. Maybe even gets a doctor's note after season 2 to say he is physically unable to continue. $58MM easy peasy.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

+++

I will simply say from experience and knowledge of the man...John Sharp is not an individual I would want to be in direct conflict with.  The man knows how to work people including the legislature.  He very much puts me in mind of Frank Erwin with how he deals with people who cross him or that he sees as an adversary.  Be they Vice Chancellors, Unit directors, boosters, or members of the legislature.  That man knows how to ruin people who cross him in a very old school political way.

If Sharp decides Jimbo is gone....

Goodbye GIF

26 minutes ago, ricky queso said:

why would that be appealing to me? 

Especially that part where I take it over 5 years or something...  my something would be "right now".  I can lean on my shovel and "think about digging" a whole hell of a lot longer than they can work around the hole they're paying for but not getting.  Best I could offer is 50 mil now, and you increase it to 50-55 later.  But not much later... 

Negotiations are tough when you have no leverage whatsoever other than "making it hard on you".  And you can see what whip-smart negotiators he's dealing with just by seeing what he got when he didn't have all the leverage! 

True. The immediacy is half the pitch, so a longer timeframe really dilutes the offer.  Ignore that parenthetical note. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hope they don't luck into Reescano. Dude can play. I believe the thought was Ole Miss had the inside track when he decommitted from Michigan State.

He is slow as shit. He has pretty nice balance, but seems more of a straight line power back to me. 

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

We see it.

The ags see it

The rest of the country sees it

Apparently he does not.  There are only two realistic options left:  hubris or incompetence.  

Honestly, I get the impression that he might have some Tom Herman type stuff going on mentally. Hiring idiot buddies to be yes-men. Blaming the failure of his brilliant offense and play calling on everyone but himself. If so, he's NEVER going to change and, even if they force him to hire an OC, he's going to obstruct and meddle with everything the new guys tries to do. It'll probably be a disaster

I can't wait

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I will simply say from experience and knowledge of the man...John Sharp is not an individual I would want to be in direct conflict with.  The man knows how to work people including the legislature.  He very much puts me in mind of Frank Erwin with how he deals with people who cross him or that he sees as an adversary.  Be they Vice Chancellors, Unit directors, boosters, or members of the legislature.  That man knows how to ruin people who cross him in a very old school political way.

If Sharp decides Jimbo is gone....

Goodbye GIF

@TexasRenegade, you may want to change your password. I'm pretty sure the aggy athletic department has hacked your account.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

@TexasRenegade, you may want to change your password. I'm pretty sure the aggy athletic department has hacked your account.

Afraid not. I give the devil his due.  Not many people in my life I have encountered that would scare me to be on the wrong side of.  John Sharp is an individual who very much meets that description.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

FhJq4XbUoAEeNTe?format=jpg&name=mediumFhJq4pyUUAAR2Z1?format=jpg&name=mediumFhJq4_9UoAEHglW?format=jpg&name=mediumFhJq5QfVUAA2vIb?format=jpg&name=medium

Always great when Brauny has to apologize to his audience at the beginning of every update. 

Also it’s hilarious that while other programs are attempting to poach most of their existing class, Shanahan’s phone doesn’t seem to be ringing. Odd!

• Haha 8

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I guess Sharp's has never fought for success of the athletic department? 

I didn't say he was good at getting things done. I said he was good at destroying people he gets crossways with.

Ask Robert Duncan about it sometime.  Or Lois Kolkhorst.  Or Doug Steele.  Or Ray Bowen Loften. Or etc etc etc.

I have seen him bring legislators to heel and am thankful that while he knows who I am, our dealings don't put me into a position of conflict and will leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I didn't say he was good at getting things done. I said he was good at destroying people he gets crossways with.

Ask Robert Duncan about it sometime.  Or Lois Kolkhorst.  Or Doug Steele.  Or Ray Bowen Loften. Or etc etc etc.

I have seen him bring legislators to heel and am thankful that while he knows who I am, our dealings don't put me into a position of conflict and will leave it at that.

????

image.thumb.png.8bf46a57db160f7f100a1c4f6b109c91.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Always great when Brauny has to apologize to his audience at the beginning of every update. 

Also it’s hilarious that while other programs are attempting to poach most of their existing class, Shanahan’s phone doesn’t seem to be ringing. Odd!

The update on Shanahan was funny. It reads as Shanahan doesn’t want aggy but nobody else worth a damn is all that interested.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Afraid not. I give the devil his due.  Not many people in my life I have encountered that would scare me to be on the wrong side of.  John Sharp is an individual who very much meets that description.

you are ascribing a tremendous amount of agency and acumen to someone most likely responsible for the language about "coach acknowledges his job is important"

this is also the same man that hit the button to blow up their stadium standing downwind

and who likely threw a temper tantrum in his office when he found out the sips were coming...  you think bjork cried to the media on his own volition?

and don't forget the talkiebirds

• Hook 'Em 1