Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

• If you say a negative thing about Oklahoma, the Sooners go insane. Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.
  • Texas might be the most delusional fanbase in American sports. They're loud on Twitter. They get these talking points, and no matter how bad their team is or how good things are going in College Station, they cannot come off their talking points. How much money did they pay to fire Herman and hire Steve Sarkisian? We know what Sark has done. You want to boil it down to Fisher not winning a title in three years? You spent $75 million to hire Sarkisian.
  • LSU is just scared. They had that great year and smoked the Aggies in 2019, but they've lost two of three to Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they've tried to hire twice. Ed Orgeron is a trainwreck of a coach, and they know it. They were hoping they could possibly hire Fisher at some point, and the Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.

Just amazing stuff right here. Fisher > Riley and LSU wishes they had Fisher.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Liucci: Jimbo Fisher's extension will be another 'bargain' for Texas A&M

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

Tweet Share Jump to Discussion

Key notes from Billy Liucci interview

• You're going to see this contract be 10 years, starting from now, with an average right around $9 million per year. You're starting the existing deal over with a significant raise to make him the second-highest paid coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban and one of the highest-paid in college football.
  • This is a great deal. We're going to look at it again as a great bargain. We've been talking about it for the last three years and how wrong people were the first time. Now they're doing it again. People don't seem to understand the no-buyout thing, and that makes me laugh. The buyout is $9 million a year, $90 million guaranteed.
  • Nick Saban doesn't look like he's going to retire anytime soon, but say Alabama comes after Jimbo Fisher in three years when Saban is done. That's the only school that could take Fisher with the money that Texas A&M is paying. If Alabama does that, it means the next three years have been really good in Aggieland.
  • A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout? Do you think a one-year buyout, another $9 million, would keep A&M from going to get a coach? The buyout is $90 million. It also keeps the coach here. It's like the SEC not having a grant of rights. The SEC basically says, "You want to leave? Go."
  • I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money. If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?
  • A&M is three years into this, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're investing in. People are saying it's only one good year, but it's not. It's one great year and three years of progress. Jimbo's first year was a nice, strong season. They finished ranked and won a bowl game, playing great football at the end of the year. His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff.
  • In 12 years as a coach, Fisher has a national title, a playoff berth and another top-five finish. He probably has five top-ten finishes in 12 years to go along with that. At what point do you look at that resume and say that Fisher is an elite head coach in this game? He is. It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.
  • If you look at what Fisher is doing in recruiting and don't feel extremely confident in your investment, I don't know what to tell you.
  • Regarding the timing, coaches don't like negotiating during the season. What if Texas A&M reached the playoff this year and LSU spiraled? I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.
  • This guy won a national title. He won 27 of 28 games with Jameis Winston in 2013 and 2014. People want to say it was all Winston, but you can't take away a guy's best player. If you take away Vince Young, what did Mack Brown do? Take away Joe Burrow, Ed O doesn’t win a championship.
  • I know what Dan Mullen has done, and I know what Jim Harbaugh has done. What in the hell have they done that Jimbo hasn't done? Mullen won a New Year's Six game, and Florida caught some criticism for that extension. The blowback shows how big the spotlight is on Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher.
  • For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU. They're whining fake tough guys.
  • If you say a negative thing about Oklahoma, the Sooners go insane. Somebody asked me if I'd rather have Lincoln Riley or Jimbo at Texas A&M, at the answer is Jimbo. Riley is a good coach, but he coaches in a league where he has five times the talent as anybody he plays. They're both good coaches, but it's apples to oranges. Jimbo Fisher is a great fit at Texas A&M.
  • Texas might be the most delusional fanbase in American sports. They're loud on Twitter. They get these talking points, and no matter how bad their team is or how good things are going in College Station, they cannot come off their talking points. How much money did they pay to fire Herman and hire Steve Sarkisian? We know what Sark has done. You want to boil it down to Fisher not winning a title in three years? You spent $75 million to hire Sarkisian.
  • LSU is just scared. They had that great year and smoked the Aggies in 2019, but they've lost two of three to Texas A&M. Jimbo Fisher is the guy they've tried to hire twice. Ed Orgeron is a trainwreck of a coach, and they know it. They were hoping they could possibly hire Fisher at some point, and the Aggies just put up a wall around College Station.
  • A day ago, what was the big cry coming out of Austin, Baton Rouge and Norman? That Fisher would be in Baton Rouge in a year. That was the battle cry from those three fanbases, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Today, 10 years and $90 million later, A&M is stupid for paying it? It's a constantly moving target.

Someone should tweet this at Looch every day until Jimbo is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Can anybody decipher the bolded analogy for me?

"I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money. If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?"

I mean, clearly both Olin AND Billy are idiots in that scenario but can anybody explain the point that Billy was TRYING to make?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Can anybody decipher the bolded analogy for me?

"I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money. If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?"

I mean, clearly both Olin AND Billy are idiots in that scenario but can anybody explain the point that Billy was TRYING to make?

$95 million on a mediocre coach that you're going to have fire halfway in is a ridiculous luxury expense, but aggy has infinite money so who the hell cares? Only a middle class prole would be taken aback.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Liucci: Jimbo Fisher's extension will be another 'bargain' for Texas A&M

By Billy Liucci
September 1, 2021

Tweet Share Jump to Discussion

Key notes from Billy Liucci interview

• You're going to see this contract be 10 years, starting from now, with an average right around $9 million per year. You're starting the existing deal over with a significant raise to make him the second-highest paid coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban and one of the highest-paid in college football.
  • This is a great deal. We're going to look at it again as a great bargain. We've been talking about it for the last three years and how wrong people were the first time. Now they're doing it again. People don't seem to understand the no-buyout thing, and that makes me laugh. The buyout is $9 million a year, $90 million guaranteed.
  • Nick Saban doesn't look like he's going to retire anytime soon, but say Alabama comes after Jimbo Fisher in three years when Saban is done. That's the only school that could take Fisher with the money that Texas A&M is paying. If Alabama does that, it means the next three years have been really good in Aggieland.
  • A buyout does nothing. When was the last time a school didn't hire a coach they wanted because of a buyout? Do you think a one-year buyout, another $9 million, would keep A&M from going to get a coach? The buyout is $90 million. It also keeps the coach here. It's like the SEC not having a grant of rights. The SEC basically says, "You want to leave? Go."
  • I don't think there is any danger of Fisher leaving. The danger is losing money. If it doesn't work, you lose money. Everyone is making a big deal about it, but it's like me and Olin living in the same neighborhood. If I saw him driving a Maserati, that's Olin's business. Not mine. The way the media is acting would be like me walking around the neighborhood calling Olin an idiot for spending that money on a car. Who's the idiot in that scenario?
  • A&M is three years into this, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're investing in. People are saying it's only one good year, but it's not. It's one great year and three years of progress. Jimbo's first year was a nice, strong season. They finished ranked and won a bowl game, playing great football at the end of the year. His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff.
  • In 12 years as a coach, Fisher has a national title, a playoff berth and another top-five finish. He probably has five top-ten finishes in 12 years to go along with that. At what point do you look at that resume and say that Fisher is an elite head coach in this game? He is. It's not debatable. Texas A&M has a coach that is among the very best, the top five, in this game.
  • If you look at what Fisher is doing in recruiting and don't feel extremely confident in your investment, I don't know what to tell you.
  • Regarding the timing, coaches don't like negotiating during the season. What if Texas A&M reached the playoff this year and LSU spiraled? I think Texas A&M did the right thing. We got our guy, and he's locked up for as long as he wants to coach.
  • This guy won a national title. He won 27 of 28 games with Jameis Winston in 2013 and 2014. People want to say it was all Winston, but you can't take away a guy's best player. If you take away Vince Young, what did Mack Brown do? Take away Joe Burrow, Ed O doesn’t win a championship.
  • I know what Dan Mullen has done, and I know what Jim Harbaugh has done. What in the hell have they done that Jimbo hasn't done? Mullen won a New Year's Six game, and Florida caught some criticism for that extension. The blowback shows how big the spotlight is on Texas A&M and Jimbo Fisher.
  • For the people that say A&M isn't relevant, you're hearing most of that from Texas, Oklahoma and some from LSU. They're whining fake tough guys.
  • A day ago, what was the big cry coming out of Austin, Baton Rouge and Norman? That Fisher would be in Baton Rouge in a year. That was the battle cry from those three fanbases, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Today, 10 years and $90 million later, A&M is stupid for paying it? It's a constantly moving target.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

• Haha 8

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Where did you find that? sauce?

Comes from Stewart Mandel. https://theathletic.com/3766877/2022/11/06/georgia-tennessee-alabama-lsu-clemson-notre-dame/

With one more loss (they have Auburn, UMass and LSU left), A&M would become the first preseason top 6 team to finish below .500 since Texas in 2010.

Come season’s end, three of the past five preseason top 6 teams to finish unranked will have been coached by Jimbo Fisher (2017 Florida State, 2021 Texas A&M and 2022 Texas A&M), per our research guru Matt Brown.

So, 3 things here.

@Wild Billdid fix the mistake, since it would be 3 of the last 6 unranked. 

It hasn't happened yet. Still time for the best 6-loss team in the country to win out!

Fuck Mack Brown. 

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think this is true

image.png.2f4588ab7eebc6de404b3bbd7b88d7ed.png

Wild Bill fucked it up.  Its not 'finished with a losing record', its 'finished the season unranked'.  3 of the last 5 teams to start as a top6 ranked team and finish the season unranked were Jimbo Fisher coached teams (2017 FSU, 2021 A&M, 2022 A&M)

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Damn, I was one year too early with this.

I’d been saying it every summer for several years. Gave up on the idea this summer, figured there was just too much trash on their schedule every year to lose more than 4-5 if they hasn’t done so already. It’s been a fun 6 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Olin's propaganda piece is up:

At least for now, Fisher appeared confident that the nucleus of the freshman class will remain intact.

“They’ve been great,” Fisher said. “We’ve had conversations about (the future). They’re excited about where they’re going, what’s happening and the future of what you’re doing.

“We talk to them every day about it. As a matter of fact, two of them came up to me today and go, ‘I know we’re short, but man, we’re going to be a good team. We can still be a good team this year. We like where we’re going in the future.’

“They like each other. They practice together. They spend a lot of time together and unify.”

Spoiler

Talented true freshmen are A&M's foundation for future success

November 7, 2022

There may be one ray of hope breaking through the smog of Texas A&M’s polluted football season.

The Aggies (3-6) have plummeted from No. 6 in the early national rankings to the bottom of the Southeastern Conference West division standings.

But the fall is cushioned by the fact that an inordinate amount of true freshmen from the top-rated 2022 recruiting classes have been thrust into action.

Indeed, a dozen true freshmen have started at least one game.

They’re not just starting. Some are making significant impacts.

Evan Stewart leads A&M in receiving. Donovan Green has the most catches among tight ends. Le’Veon Moss has emerged as the primary backup for star running back Devon Achane.

Defensive ends LT Overton and Shemar Stewart have posted sacks and have been credited with four quarterback pressures.

0175097-avya-240x135.jpg
Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Jacoby Mathews lead the Aggies with 15 tackles in Saturday’s loss to Florida.

Safeties Bryce Anderson, Jarred Kerr and Jacoby Mathews have been impressive.

Quarterback Conner Weigman threw for 338 yards and four touchdowns in a start against Ole Miss. Weigman came down with the flu last week and did not start in a 41-24 loss to Florida.

Fisher said Weigman has been cleared to play and will start against Auburn on Saturday night.

Weigman and the other freshmen could be the foundation for future success. That is if head coach Jimbo Fisher can keep the team together.

That won’t be easy.

Disappointment often leads to disgruntlement. In today’s college football, a disgruntled roster can quickly become a depleted roster as players can opt to enter the transfer portal.

That’s the danger A&M faces. Fisher said he’s facing it head-on.

“You worry about that all the time,” Fisher said at his weekly press conference on Monday. “But this team is a very tight-knit, very unified group of guys. Especially that young group.”

A couple of freshmen from the celebrated recruiting class have already sat out multiple games due to suspensions. It would come as no surprise if those players left.

There have also been reports that other programs — some within the state of Texas — are already pursuing and encouraging A&M players to transfer.

To make matters worse, A&M on Monday lost the commitment of five-star linebacker prospect Anthony Hill‍. There’s fear other committed prospects may soon reconsider, too.

“You worry about that all the time. But this team is a very tight-knit, very unified group of guys. Especially that young group.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

That would make keeping the 2022 class intact even more crucial.

Weigman may be the key. Talented quarterbacks tend to attract other players. If Fisher can keep Weigman, perhaps the majority of the other freshmen will stay.

At least for now, Fisher appeared confident that the nucleus of the freshman class will remain intact.

“They’ve been great,” Fisher said. “We’ve had conversations about (the future). They’re excited about where they’re going, what’s happening and the future of what you’re doing.

“We talk to them every day about it. As a matter of fact, two of them came up to me today and go, ‘I know we’re short, but man, we’re going to be a good team. We can still be a good team this year. We like where we’re going in the future.’

“They like each other. They practice together. They spend a lot of time together and unify.”

Obviously, Fisher hopes they will spend at least two more seasons together.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Olin's propaganda piece is up:

Hide contents

Talented true freshmen are A&M's foundation for future success

November 7, 2022

There may be one ray of hope breaking through the smog of Texas A&M’s polluted football season.

The Aggies (3-6) have plummeted from No. 6 in the early national rankings to the bottom of the Southeastern Conference West division standings.

But the fall is cushioned by the fact that an inordinate amount of true freshmen from the top-rated 2022 recruiting classes have been thrust into action.

Indeed, a dozen true freshmen have started at least one game.

They’re not just starting. Some are making significant impacts.

Evan Stewart leads A&M in receiving. Donovan Green has the most catches among tight ends. Le’Veon Moss has emerged as the primary backup for star running back Devon Achane.

Defensive ends LT Overton and Shemar Stewart have posted sacks and have been credited with four quarterback pressures.

0175097-avya-240x135.jpg
Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Jacoby Mathews lead the Aggies with 15 tackles in Saturday’s loss to Florida.

Safeties Bryce Anderson, Jarred Kerr and Jacoby Mathews have been impressive.

Quarterback Conner Weigman threw for 338 yards and four touchdowns in a start against Ole Miss. Weigman came down with the flu last week and did not start in a 41-24 loss to Florida.

Fisher said Weigman has been cleared to play and will start against Auburn on Saturday night.

Weigman and the other freshmen could be the foundation for future success. That is if head coach Jimbo Fisher can keep the team together.

That won’t be easy.

Disappointment often leads to disgruntlement. In today’s college football, a disgruntled roster can quickly become a depleted roster as players can opt to enter the transfer portal.

That’s the danger A&M faces. Fisher said he’s facing it head-on.

“You worry about that all the time,” Fisher said at his weekly press conference on Monday. “But this team is a very tight-knit, very unified group of guys. Especially that young group.”

A couple of freshmen from the celebrated recruiting class have already sat out multiple games due to suspensions. It would come as no surprise if those players left.

There have also been reports that other programs — some within the state of Texas — are already pursuing and encouraging A&M players to transfer.

To make matters worse, A&M on Monday lost the commitment of five-star linebacker prospect Anthony Hill‍. There’s fear other committed prospects may soon reconsider, too.

“You worry about that all the time. But this team is a very tight-knit, very unified group of guys. Especially that young group.”
- A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher

That would make keeping the 2022 class intact even more crucial.

Weigman may be the key. Talented quarterbacks tend to attract other players. If Fisher can keep Weigman, perhaps the majority of the other freshmen will stay.

Obviously, Fisher hopes they will spend at least two more seasons together.

Olin Buchanan. Hahahahaha. Just a mouthbreathing rube of the highest order. Doesn't he pen at least one article per year predicting an awakening of "the sleeping giant" and call for national title runs in each of the big sports? I cannot wait to see his next one.

I like the premise here of "they're all saying nice things to me" from Ritz Bit. You mean a bunch of guys that already have one foot in the portal aren't sprinting up their head coach on a daily basis in order to tell him that they're heading elsewhere in less than a month? Wow. Shocking.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

If there is any truth whatsoever to the freshmen (and I don't really believe it) bonding, it is because they were paid bags and the older players were not. As we have discussed, that would fracture a team even more than consistent losing.

Sounds like aggy may try to use more bags this year, rather than setting up NIL structures. We realize they're much poorer than they always claim, but they always also look for every shortcut rather than putting in actual honest work. Everyone who chose to do it right last year suffered a little compared to aggy in the short run, but it was far and away the correct strategy. We'll just keep making public NIL deals. Aggy can continue with the bags and paying out Jimbo and his staff. Nah, they really can't. 

I just can't believe they make poor decisions at every turn. Almost lie it's an aggy turdition.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only remotely true part of that bullshit is "they practice together".

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ku0nefN.jpg

bottoming out is bad

they might start looking at root cause analysis and discover that they themselves and their culture are the reason for what's happening to them

and that's bad

it could start the road to recovery......

nah, they'll never figure it out

resume misery mainlining

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1