The WNBA is BACK!!!!!

Uncle Boobs

12 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Context is important. Any of us would get fired for talking about a coworker's weight because most of us work in settings where a woman's size doesn't have an impact on her job performance. But in this case the coach is arguing for his players because the opponent's size is impacting the outcome of the game. NBA coaches have always done this against Shaq, Zion, etc.

If the coach was talking during the press conference and made fun of her weight by saying "When she sits around the house, she sits around the house" then yes, he should be fined and suspended. But this was in the heat of the game. If he didn't use completely appropriate language, then OK, he should apologize, but a fine and suspension are ridiculous.

I mentioned context. What does her size have anything to do with how the game is or should be called? I have never heard any comment from a coach or player that calls should be different for Shaq, Zion, etc., based solely on their size. What kind of shitty coach can't adjust to different player sizes and skills but instead cry to a ref about the size of a player, and mentioning weight that is 50+ pounds off.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

let me get this straight- the coach makes a comment *to a referee*, not to the player, but to an official, which basically amounts to, "their center is huge and is a handful to deal with defensively", and to you that warrants a fine and suspension. meanwhile, the girl makes blatantly disparaging and racist remarks about both the coach's size *and* his race, and you see no reason to take action. you have got to be kidding me.

So if I'm at a dinner party and turn to my wife and say in normal voice "Man your friend Jenny looks fat as fuck tonight," Jenny shouldn't feel insulted if she hears it, because I wasn't talking to her. Good advice, thanks.

And again, what does "their center is huge and is a handful to deal with defensively" have anything to do with officiating? At best, the coach sounds like a whiny ass little bitch who blames refs for his inability to coach his players to deal with varying sizes and skill levels. I'd consider firing him for that bitchass attitude. Brad Stevens got scorched for simply acknowledging that the Nets are good as hell.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mentioned context. What does her size have anything to do with how the game is or should be called? I have never heard any comment from a coach or player that calls should be different for Shaq, Zion, etc., based solely on their size. What kind of shitty coach can't adjust to different player sizes and skills but instead cry to a ref about the size of a player, and mentioning weight that is 50+ pounds off.

David Griffin talked about this in regards to Zion just a couple of weeks ago. Refs have trouble trying to figure out when to call or not call fouls against big players.

Griffin said he and the Pelicans tried to warn the league and the people overseeing the officials of the “open season there has been on Zion” and that this would lead to an injury.

Griffin’s larger point about Zion not getting his share of fouls is legitimate. Zion, fitting the mold of players such as Shaq and LeBron James, is so physically strong that he sometimes doesn’t get the calls he deserves because he is strong enough to just power through and doesn’t look like a foul.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What does her size have anything to do with how the game is or should be called?

Have you ever played, coached or reffed organized basketball? I’ve done all three and size does matter when it comes to calls. Actually, the bigger players get the raw deal usually because the smaller skinny players get to hack in the big person with impunity and get touch calls when they fall down at the slightest contact from the bigger player. But refs are human and they can create bias either way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What does her size have anything to do with how the game is or should be called?

Have you ever played, coached or reffed organized basketball? I’ve done all three and size does matter when it comes to calls. Actually, the bigger players get the raw deal usually because the smaller skinny players get to hack in the big person with impunity and get touch calls when they fall down at the slightest contact from the bigger player. But refs are human and they can create bias either way.

Those examples are a coach complaining that his own large player was being called unfairly. That happens all the time. This was an opponent's coach complaining about the big girl on the other team. I still don't get the context of what he's complaining about. That more calls should be called against her because she's big? I still don't quite get the context but yelling that she's "300 lbs" as some legitimate argument is without question an insult meant to insult. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

you've seriously never heard any comments about Shaq and his size and how it affects the way officials call the game, or how difficult it makes him to defend without being overly physical? really?

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was mildly curious as to why this thread was constantly at the top of the board, so I clicked on it.  That was a mistake.  I have spent more time reading about the WNBA in the last day than I have in the last 10 years.  I’m back to giving zero fucks.  conVINCEd out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I was mildly curious as to why this thread was constantly at the top of the board, so I clicked on it.  That was a mistake.  I have spent more time reading about the WNBA in the last day than I have in the last 10 years.  I’m back to giving zero fucks.  conVINCEd out.

Well, the last couple of pages have been fueled by some people who have obviously never had any semblance of a relationship with a woman. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

David Griffin talked about this in regards to Zion just a couple of weeks ago. Refs have trouble trying to figure out when to call or not call fouls against big players.

Yep, and he got fined 50k

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/pelicans-david-griffin-fined-50000-by-nba-for-comments-about-how-zion-williamson-is-officiated/

fining players/coaches who openly criticize officials is standard procedure. fining and suspending coaches for pointing out that the opposing team's mammoth center is large is unprecedented, regressive, and just plain stupid. and what's worse, championing the "victim" who then openly disparaged the coach's size, gender, and race is mind blowing levels of cognitive dissonance.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Well, the last couple of pages have been fueled by some people who have obviously never had any semblance of a relationship with a woman. 

i'll have you know that i happen to live with a female roommate. sure, she's my mom, and yeah, she doesn't let me come up from the basement like i'm Bubbles from The Wire, but still. proved you wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

Or perhaps the women we have relationships with are strong women that don't have the time or desire to run around playing the victim.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I love it so much that this thread was started by @Uncle Boobs. So perfectly on brand.

Also, a not very cool story brah... I was once on a Southwest flight with the San Antonio WNBA team years ago when they had a 7 footer on the roster.  Margot Didek. It was cruel and unusual punishment to make her sit in those chairs. Felt terrible for her.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz.  I doubt that gets shown if it isn't live.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

I saw the headline on ESPN, but assumed it was Liberty University.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.  I doubt that gets shown if it isn't live.

I saw the headline on ESPN, but assumed it was Liberty University.

Only thing sadder than the WNBA is a conversation with a Liberty University graduate.  

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have to wait awhile longer. (Although I don't even know when the Wnba season is.) 

Brittney Griner was seen for the first time since her February arrest in Russia Thursday, appearing in a short clip allegedly posted to social media from a Moscow courthouse after the WNBA star's prison stay was extended through May, according to the country's state media.

image.png.914572881cbc21b90aa1401b1bc26213.png

• 5 weeks later...

There was a headline I saw that was intriguing....Ex-WNBA All-Star Shoni Schimmel indicted for allegedly strangling former partner, so I clicked on it and read the following:

Schimmel has not appeared in the WNBA since 2018. The eighth overall pick out of Louisville in the 2014 WNBA draft, she was named an All-Star in her first two seasons with the Atlanta Dream and earned MVP honors in the 2014 game.

In four seasons with the Dream, New York Liberty and Las Vegas Aces, Schimmel averaged 6.6 points and 2.8 assists per game. Her upbringing and basketball career on the Umatilla Reservation was also documented in 2011's "Off the Rez."

Two-time all star. 6.6/2.8 per game. lulz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blotto said:

There was a headline I saw that was intriguing....Ex-WNBA All-Star Shoni Schimmel indicted for allegedly strangling former partner, so I clicked on it and read the following:

Two-time all star. 6.6/2.8 per game. lulz.

Hey that's almost fucking double digits if you add those together!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...