2020 Democratic National Convention

Hugo Stiglitz

I'm singing this along with the song.  It goes well!

Bass! How low can you go?
Death row, what a brother knows
Once again, back is the incredible
The rhyme animal
The uncannable D, Public Enemy Number One
Five-O said, "Freeze!" and I got numb
Can I tell 'em that I never really had a gun?
But it's the wax that the Terminator X spun
Now they got me in a cell cause my records, they sell
Cause a brother like me said, "Well
Farrakhan's a prophet and I think you ought to listen to
What he can say to you, what you wanna do is follow for now"
Power of the people, say
"Make a miracle, D, pump the lyrical"
Black is back, all in, we're gonna win
Check it out, yeah y'all, here we go again
Turn it up! Bring the noise!
Turn it up! Bring the noise!

I think she’s doing great. Appealing to decency. A lot of those moderates were turned off by Hilary and stayed home or voted for Johnson/Stein. 

This set up has been great. Hopefully they keep the same format in 2024 and just cut to one or two keynote speeches in the arena at the end of the night.  

Yeah—this has gone smoothly, and I wonder if this isn’t the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, I think Kasich had the best speech.  They should cut that up into a 30 second commercial and blanket the swing states with it.  I don’t agree with all of his politics but I do believe he is a decent person and has the ability to actually swing some of those independents and Republicans that have “left the party” to go out and cast a vote for Biden which is all that matters right now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah—this has gone smoothly, and I wonder if this isn’t the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, I'm impressed how smoothly it went and the pacing.  You don't realize how much time is lost to people walking on and off a stage.  Much better than I thought.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Really, I'm impressed how smoothly it went and the pacing.  You don't realize how much time is lost to people walking on and off a stage.  Much better than I thought.

It’s the best format we can do right now but the key thing not being in an arena with thousands of people is you lose the excitement and energy.  You don’t get a Obama in 2004 kind of speech with this format.  You do however get a Eastwood talking to a chair kind of feeling.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Sadly, I think Kasich had the best speech.  They should cut that up into a 30 second commercial and blanket the swing states with it.  I don’t agree with all of his politics but I do believe he is a decent person and has the ability to actually swing some of those independents and Republicans that have “left the party” to go out and cast a vote for Biden which is all that matters right now.

Love Kasich shoving his boot up Trump’s ass.  In a pretty important state too...That was enough to get me pumped.  

Let’s kick this bloated fuck to the curb.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Kasich did nothing for me but I’m not a project Lincoln republican.

Michelle Obama hit a home run. Bernie did a good job fully endorsing him and asking progressives to get on board while also pushing Joe to the left on certain issues. Whitmer was also solid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I thought Michelle did great.  I don't know how many people who needed to hear it did, though.

I think the speeches from Kasich and other Republicans actually have the most potential to do some good.  There might be a lot of Republicans who are relieved to be told, "It's okay to cross the party line in this case."  Again, I don't know how many people who need to hear it will, but it's worth a shot.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

Trump has a 96% approval amongst the Republican Party. This magical pool of “never trumpers” that might vote for Biden is much smaller than disaffected moderates and democrats that stayed at home or voted for Stein last time. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Trump has a 96% approval amongst the Republican Party. This magical pool of “never trumpers” that might vote for Biden is much smaller than disaffected moderates and democrats that stayed at home or voted for Stein last time. 

Fair, but if 4% of Republicans vote for Joe, it's over.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I think the key is how many people are no longer in the Republican Party that may vote.  The 96% is what is left in the Republican Party but just look at the posters on this site that were Republicans but no longer will vote Republican.  Those are the people Kasich is going after to get them to vote for Biden and I would be ecstatic if those people got off their asses and voted for Biden.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

many never trumpers no longer identify as republican

Michelle’s speech was fantastic. While it won’t appeal to the republicans trolls on this board, or maybe even a few of the white dude former republicans, it wasn’t directed at you idiots. Including me.

It was directed at all the women who are just simply fed up with all this bullshit, and that includes white women who voted for trump. It was directed at an audience who simply doesn’t exist on this board, for the most part. 

She killed it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Wait I think we're supposed to be mad that he got 20 minutes of time that we could have given to real liberals like Hillary instead.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I don’t know any disaffected Dems who sat out 2016. But I can rattle off half a dozen 2016 Trump voters I know personally who support Biden this year. All of them still consider themselves Republicans or at least conservative. 

13 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Dixie Chicks/Chicks are playing Thursday night.

REK finished off the Texas Convention.

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I get the angst, but IMO if you are the most diverse most inclusive party then you own it and say, “hey, sure we have progressives, less progressives, centrists, and pretty much almost Republicans and former Republicans. We’re not a cult based on hate and fear. Join us and let’s carry on democracy.”

Yes, they certainly hammered the point about Trump pissing on the constitution, but in nicer words.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The GOP elected Donald Trump.  

what a fucking fool.

That Time a Chimp Almost Strangled Ronald Reagan | Mental Floss

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It’s the best format we can do right now but the key thing not being in an arena with thousands of people is you lose the excitement and energy.  You don’t get a Obama in 2004 kind of speech with this format.  You do however get a Eastwood talking to a chair kind of feeling.

liked it, it didn't seem to lose any energy to me, and not having to listen to all the pundits and watch the cameras constantly panning the crowd for reaction kept the flow up.

58 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Trump has a 96% approval rating of the Republicans who donate money to him and are on his email list.  You really don't think his poll figures aren't rigged, right?

Otherwise, I agree with all you've stated tonight.

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t know any disaffected Dems who sat out 2016. But I can rattle off half a dozen 2016 Trump voters I know personally who support Biden this year. All of them still consider themselves Republicans or at least conservative. 

look at black voter participation in the Midwest from 2012 to 2016. Dramatic decrease in turnout. Quite a bit of 3rd party protest vote as well. 

not sure where your 6 ex-Trump voters are located but Texas voters don’t make a shit in this election. If Biden somehow won Texas than he already won Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, North Carolina. 

As a former republican I can say this to my shame. The party believes in absolutely nothing. Its a destructive virus far worse than the COVID.

To support it nowadays is an evil act. Nazi bootlickers. 

It needs to be eliminated. It is evil. Its supporters are either demented, ignorant, evil, or combination of the three. 

I don’t care how many sweaters your grandma nits on facebook, if she supports trump, she is a supporter of evil and fuck her.  Her grandsons and granddaughters now how fucked she is and tell them that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

As a former republican I can say this to my shame. The party believes in absolutely nothing. Its a destructive virus far worse than the COVID.

To support it nowadays is an evil act. Nazi bootlickers. 

It needs to be eliminated. It is evil. Its supporters are either demented, ignorant, evil, or combination of the three. 

I don’t care how many sweaters your grandma nits on facebook, if she supports trump, she is a supporter of evil and fuck her.  Her grandsons and granddaughters now how fucked she is and tell them that.  

They’re very weird people.

they have this fascination with “owning the libs”, but what then?  Every chance they’ve received to actually govern the country in recent memory has been a disaster. George W Bush was responsible for unnecessary wars, a botched Katrina response, and a collapsed economy. Trump has been responsible for an uncontrollable pandemic, racial unrest, and a collapsed economy. 

it seems like all republicans bring is destruction and an attitude of arrogance to the office. They think anyone who is unemployed, underemployed, or poor is “lazy” and will do whatever they can to deny these people aid or support. They never seem to have a plan for governing besides “ MOAR AND MOAR TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH”. They tell this lie that it will trickle down to the average folks, but it never does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

They’re very weird people.

they have this fascination with “owning the libs”, but what then?  Every chance they’ve received to actually govern the country in recent memory has been a disaster. George W Bush was responsible for unnecessary wars, a botched Katrina response, and a collapsed economy. Trump has been responsible for an uncontrollable pandemic, racial unrest, and a collapsed economy. 

it seems like all republicans bring is destruction and an attitude of arrogance to the office. They think anyone who is unemployed, underemployed, or poor is “lazy” and will do whatever they can to deny these people aid or support. They never seem to have a plan for governing besides “ MOAR AND MOAR TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH”. They tell this lie that it will trickle down to the average folks, but it never does. 

Republican leadership doesn't think anything about middle class or poor--they just work for the rich.  They support the rich and make a lot of money off brain dead followers doing it.  

Edited by Mdhorn

15 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

You know the Republican convention is going to feature a lot of stolen music from artists that never and would never consent for them to use their music.  But Republicans'll do it anyways because they're shitty humans.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, otisdog said:

I worked with her on Desperate....smokin hot then.

Her campaign headquarters in Veep was my old apartment building off the corner of 8th and I, SE.  The interior though was a different place though and alas, I never got to meet her.    

Edited by Mdhorn

i haven’t caught up with the thread, but as for the kasich bitching, i think the message goes like this:

”if you don’t know where you belong, look at what we have to offer - bernie, michelle, kasich (and 40 others from up and down the political spectrum from progressive to moderate) - we appeal to you, no matter what you’re about. or, you could vote for trump, which means bend the knee and kiss trump’s ass, even when he doesn’t care about you or anyone you care about, with literally no ability to have a differing opinion.”

the convention is one of those nights where new people tune in, so it’s time to organize the message. if you already know the subtle and obvious differences between every politician speaking this week, you already know how you’re voting, so get the f over it. 

Democrats err by amplifying Kasich’s claptrap over AOC’s progressive vision.

John Kasich, the anti-labor, anti-choice former governor of Ohio who finished just a little better than last in the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, is convinced that he knows how the Democratic Party should acquit itself in the 2020 presidential campaign. The self-proclaimed “conservative Republican” is equally convinced that he has much more to say to Democrats than the rising star on the party’s left, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Unfortunately, a lot of Democrats who are in charge of plotting and planning for the future of the party, seem to share Kasich’s view. While the Republican was accorded plenty of time to speak on Monday evening—in a key slot on the first night of the party’s first virtual convention—AOC has been accorded one minute to address the nation on Tuesday.

That was fine by Kasich, a relentless self-promoter who used a long five minutes to anoint himself as the Democratic Party’s Republican whisperer. On a night when Americans tuned in to hear former first lady Michelle Obama and Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders deliver powerful addresses about the need for structural responses to systemic injustices, Kasich endeavored to assure his conservative compatriots that Biden wouldn’t really implement the changes that are needed in a pandemic moment characterized by mass unemployment. “I’m sure there are Republicans and independents who couldn’t imagine crossing over to support a Democrat,” he chirped, in a gimmicky video that featured the former Fox News host standing at a (literal) crossroads. “They fear Joe may turn sharp left and leave them behind. I don’t believe that because I know the measure of the man.”

Kasich’s blurring of the message undermined the party’s appeal to disenchanted and disengaged voters, as did Kasich’s pre-convention positioning. Before the night kicked off, the Republican actually took a dig at AOC and the progressives—especially young progressives—whose ideals she raises up. “I think both parties have to have new ideas, and I think this country is moderate,” he claimed in an interview with BuzzFeed. “People on the extreme, whether they’re on the left or on the right, they get outsized publicity that tends to define their party. You know, I listen to people all the time make these statements, and because AOC gets outsized publicity doesn’t mean she represents the Democratic Party. She’s just a part, just some member of it.”

AOC responded, “Something tells me a Republican who fights against women’s rights doesn’t get to say who is or isn’t representative of the Dem party.”

The dismissal of Ocasio-Cortez, who has popularized the Green New Deal and who gave Sanders vital support at a key point in the fall of 2019, as “just some member” of the Democratic Party did not sit well with progressive delegates. “AOC is a role model for young women on how to stand up for oneself against bullies no matter how powerful they appear to be,” said Sanders delegate Zenaida Huerta, a Los Angeles County Democratic Party central committee member and leader of the convention’s Young Delegates Coalition. “AOC deserves a meaningful amount of time to address the young women she inspires. I look forward to nominating her for president someday.”

Progressives fear the party is making the same mistake that it always does in the great debate over whether to go for the elusive “swing votes” of disappointed Republicans or to seek to expand its base. That was what Democrats did in 2016 when they gave a major speaking slot to former Republican mayor of New York City Mike Bloomberg, who delivered an uninspired address that seemed to be primarily about setting himself up for the uninspired presidential campaign he briefly ran in 2020. Bloomberg will reportedly get another speaking slot this year, and three more Republicans—former New Jersey governor Christine Todd Whitman, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman, and 2010 California GOP gubernatorial nominee and former representative Susan Molinari of New York—joined the Monday lineup.

Sawyer Hackett, an adviser to 2020 Democratic presidential contender Julián Castro, noted that “in a year where Latino voters are poised to be the biggest non-white voting bloc, the Democratic convention will feature more Republican speakers than Latinx speakers.” Castro, a former Obama administration cabinet member, was not invited to speak this year; and another 2020 contender, Andrew Yang, was given a slot only after an outcry was raised over the lack of sufficient representation of Asian Americans on the convention stage.

When all is said and done, Democratic speakers will of course outnumber Republican speakers at what is after all the Democratic National Convention. And progressive messages will be heard. But why, ask progressive delegates, aren’t visionary progressives being given the time to amplify the ideals that will form the next politics of this country?

“Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez is the future of the Democratic Party,” says Charlotte Clymer, a transgender activist and Biden delegate. “She has shown a remarkable ability to articulate a vision of our country that transcends party politics and resonates with a country crying out for leadership that will directly address the systemic inequality that has brought us to this point. Giving her 60 seconds isn’t just disrespectful; it’s incredibly shortsighted if we Democrats want to demonstrate to the country that our plan goes far beyond simply opposing Trump.”

• Like 1

Dumb fucks bitching about Kasitch are wasting their time and ink being outraged. Writing articles, chastising, what a fucking joke. Democrats will drive 15 miles out of there way to shoot themselves in the dick. Every. Damn. Time. It’s done. He served a purpose. Cut up his shit and paste it into commercials and campaign sound bytes the next 2 months. Instead they want to write about pooooor AOC, the future of the Democratic Party. If we don’t win this election there won’t be a fucking future of any party other party. Get back on point, dipshits. 

note, that screed was directed less at posters here and to the idiots wasting time writing articles and op eds online. But some posters here could use a sharp slap to the face as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5