Texas WR/TE Passing Offense Talk

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Have you seen the TE at Florida? Sam would be targeting him 10+ times a game. Why can't we find someone like that? Can one of you guys pull off an Inception on a Florida team flight and plant the idea in his head to transfer? Didn't one of you guys major in that stuff? 

Only works on fat, drunk chicks between the hours of 1:45 and 2am, right before the bars close.  

It is just one data point in a long list of things that infuriate me about Turtle Tom.  But to see other teams actually have difference makers while we trot out the JAGs we have on our roster really pisses me off.  To watch these guys miss blocks and drop passes over and over again, while teams like OU field actual difference makers is unreal.
I would kill to have a guy like Kyle Pitts from UF on our roster.  We have no one even close.  How is that not a priority in recruiting?  Or does Tom just suck at that like he does at so much else at this job?

I fully agree with this guy here. Our two deep should be Kyle Pitts and Brevin Jordan. I’d even settle for Arik Gilbert. Did we even offer them? I’m sure they would have come here.

12 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

This to me is just another sign of Herman's stubbornness. The Texas TEs are all just JAGs. They cannot block well, they do not catch well. They just leave more talented receivers on the sidelines. Maybe Herman is used to AA TEs at OSU but the ones Texas has just are not anywhere near that level. I had a professor in grad school that said "if half of the people want ice tea and half want hot tea, you don't give them all warm tea"

We have a bunch of "warm tea" TEs. Guys that cannot really block well, and they cannot really catch well. Every now and then they get lucky but this hybrid TE he insists on trotting out there isn't working. They are given ZERO respect as a threat and DEs/LBs can just blow by them to the QB all fucking day.

Cade Brewer is terrible, apart from the stone hands he not only does not block well but finds a way to get in the way of our blockers. With 6:03 in the 4th quarter he is solely responsible for blowing up a zone read play by getting in the way #70 so that he can't get to his block. In addition, he goes down field to go make his own block and does not even come close to being in the neighborhood of the guy he is responsible for in the first place. I am really starting to dislike our TE's after this game. I had never paid much attention but now I get why people are ragging on them so much.

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? They’ve had like one good season from a TE in the last ten years. 

Patrick Mahomes, Kliff Kingsbury, and Lincoln Riley would all disagree with you. Four verts is a staple of their offense and they then build a lot of the other stuff off of it. 

I don’t think you are entirely accurate but it also doesn’t matter 

Humidor...                         Thanks @satyanash

On offense, the return of Jake Smith should provide a jolt to the playbook. We don’t expect to see as much 12 personnel outside of game situations where it makes sense (short yardage, inside the five, etc). From what we’ve heard, we’re expecting the game plan to look more like the Utep game than Tech. We’re expecting the passing game to do a better job of putting defenders in conflict.

Like with TCU, the Texas offensive line will remain a question mark in the immediate future. We think they’ll be aided by staff not insisting on playing big, though of course Texas will want to run the ball, especially after TCU struggled to play the run last week. But you can pass to set up the run.

For the first time this season, we’ll see the wide receiver group with its presumed most likely starters from early August. Brennan Eagles and Tarik Black have waged a war to see who wants to be in the dog house a little less at X. Right now that appears to be Eagles. Andre Coleman runs a tight ship but it isn’t hard to do the right things.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m no football expert but I seriously cannot tell any difference in the offense this year from last year. What did we change with yurcich coming? Take the utep game out and we look exactly the same the last weeks offensively.

weak offensive lineman will do that to you

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I know I'm spoiled by Devurnay but...

These WRs neither separate nor make contested catches.  Brewer should just go away.  Wiley should get more targets.  

To me, Wiley was the only positive from today. Showed he doesn't only block but he has solid hands too. Aside from him though... well that's another story for all the other threads

• Hook 'Em 1

Our WRs got PUNKED today.  They couldn’t get off press coverage.  They couldn’t catch anything.  Poor routes.  Poor blocking.

I know people have been praising Andre Coleman.  All I see is a regressed Brennan Eagles and a bunch of JAGs.  

Edited by victory88

If healthy, sure would be great to get JWhitt and Jake on the field together... maybe even use Schooler more at X or Z Receiver too!!

WR Depth chart for blOU...

X Receiver

1. Brennan Eagles (Jr.)

2. Tarik Black (Sr.-TR)

Z Receiver

1. Joshua Moore (Soph.)

2. Al'Vonte Woodard (Soph.)

H Receiver (Slot)

1. Jake Smith (Soph.)

2. Jordan Whittington (RS-Fr.)

3. Brenden Schooler (Sr.-TR) — OR — Kai Money (Soph.)

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If healthy, sure would be great to get JWhitt and Jake on the field together... maybe even use Schooler more at X or Z Receiver too!!

WR Depth chart for blOU...

X Receiver

1. Brennan Eagles (Jr.)

2. Tarik Black (Sr.-TR)

Z Receiver

1. Joshua Moore (Soph.)

2. Al'Vonte Woodard (Soph.)

H Receiver (Slot)

1. Jake Smith (Soph.)

2. Jordan Whittington (RS-Fr.)

3. Brenden Schooler (Sr.-TR) — OR — Kai Money (Soph.)

I'm for Woodard to get some more snaps.. anyone know what happened to Kennedy Lewis??

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/quickie-on-texas-offense-screen-passing-152606209/

From 247 Chris Osgood

Quickie on Texas Offense Screen Passing

It seems like nobody ever likes their offense to have a big screen emphasis. When UCLA had Noel Mazzone under Jim Mora, there was bigly gnashing of teeth every time Brett Hundley threw another screen to punish backed-off cornerbacks. I'm sensing a similar frustration with Yurcich and the 2020 Texas Offense on this board. Nobody likes watching wide receivers suck at blocking! So what's the real deal with screen passing so far this season?

As I discussed in my  Run Play Glossary, screen plays fill a somewhat deliberate hole in the Texas passing Game. Texas uses Inside Zone to threaten the interior, Midzone to threaten around the offensive tackles, and Screen passing to threaten wide at the LoS. This keeps opposing defenses honest and close to the LoS in theory. Texas does not have a legit wide run threat in their playbook yet. Texas has not leveraged their WR Jet motion into any WR Jet sweeps, and their Pitch Option is a hot mess (0 for 3 tries so far). Texas also doesn't appear to have any interest in running a true Outside Zone targeting outside of a pre-snap TE alignment .

Here's a quick list of the types of screens that Texas has thrown so far: Bubble Screens (throw to the guy closest to QB), Tunnel Screens (throw to guy originating closest to the sideline), and RB Flat Screens (deliberate pre-snap intent to throw RB from backfield). I did a detailed rundown of  screen theory at UCLA here.    There doesn't appear to be any significant commitment to delay screens (there was one against UTEP that was called back for a penalty). There is a lot of mixing and matching of who's blocking (WR/TE) and who's catching (WR/TE/RB).

So let's look at how Texas has deployed those screens so far, and what the results have been.

9961834.PNG

We'll set aside how much Yurcich is letting the offense check into or out of screen plays based on how defenses align (or RPO decision making) to purely focus on definite post-snap screen results. It's clear from the UTEP 1st half and Texas Tech game that Yurcich wants to call screens on roughly 15% of plays, and over 20% of passing plays. Screens are a high floor, low ceiling play for this offense. They consistently churn out low yardage successful plays. The screen success rates against UTEP and Tech were bananas. This is great for a constraint concept to out-perform the base offense consistently (when the TCU 4-2-5 isn't involved).

It's also clear that Texas shunned screens against TCU. This may be due to TCU consistently showing formations that deny the RPO or pre-snap check, or may have been a deliberate game plan. In any case it looks like the decision to throw so few screens against TCU was the correct decision, as the 3 lonely screens thrown against TCU performed fairly poorly overall. This left the overall Texas scheme without an important cornerstone. This probably had a lot to do with a cascade feast-or-famine failure of the offense overall against TCU.

TLDR: Don't hate on screens in this offense this year.....yet. But some alternative threats to the sideline at the LoS might be prudent.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/texas-offense-soln-to-4verts-addiction-shallow-concept-153007449/

Texas Offense Sol'n to 4Verts Addiction - Shallow Concept

Chris Osgood  (247 STAFF)

Let's take a deep dive into the Texas Shallow Cross concept. If you've been following my posts you've probably noticed my complaints about the Longhorn's addiction to inefficient 4 Verticals so far through the first few games. The Shallow Cross concept is a really nice complement for a team that has established 4Verts, and is facing a lot of deep drop cover4/quarters defense which neutralizes 4Verts (according to youtuber Ron McKie). It makes sense that Texas would bring the Shallow concept to the forefront as its 4Verts has been consistently countered by opposing defenses and made unreliable. Texas used Shallow cross once against UTEP (in the 1st half that I tracked), three times against Texas Tech, once against TCU, then an outlier six snaps against Oklahoma. Texas brought a definite Shallow focus into the gameplan against the Sooners. So far Texas has run 11 Shallow plays for modest 3.9 Yards-Per-Play and a poor 18% Success Rate. This underwhelming shallow cross performance shows me it hasn't been a practice emphasis and wasn't a part of the core install. This is likely a mid season adaptation based on how things are going.

9973156.PNG

The vanilla Shallow Cross features a Y or H (yellow above) performing the namesake Shallow Cross attacking the heels of the defensive line. This shallow cross can come from an outside receiver as well, which we'll show Texas doing occasionally. The other of the Y or H (green above) runs a 10 yard dig going the opposite direction. The two outside receivers generally run verticals without any sort of in-snap conversion. These outside receivers can do other stuff in the Shallow concept such as a ten yard out or corner, but Texas consistently has them attacking deep so far. The running back should attack the flat opposite to where the Shallow is headed, and is sometimes kept in for pass protection. The green dig looks to clear space for the shallow, and the running back pulls that "S" defender away from the dig. Ideally the safeties are deep over the middle, leaving the linebackers to deal with tight ends and shifty slots underneath. I *think* the Texas progression is Shallow->Dig->Back->Verts, with a pre-snap alert to throw the verts early with a favorable press man matchup on an outside receiver.

Let's go to the clips! As you may have noticed with this offense so far this year, other than the running backs, the X/Z and H/Y jobs get rotated around a LOT between the outside receivers, slot receivers, and the tight ends.

Shallow #1 - Passing up Open receivers

9973185.gif 

The first Shallow clip shows the Shallow route performed by an outside receiver Z Moore and the Dig performed by H Whittington. This leaves the X and Y to run the verticals outside the hashes. The running back Ingram replaces the Shallow runner, going into the space the Shallow came from and is running away from. I don't like how deep Moore is here, but he's wide open. The back was also wide open. Sam passed up an open first read (Moore Shallow), probably a covered 2nd read (Dig Whittington), and an open 3rd read (Back Ingram) in order to run. Can't argue with 18 yards and a first down though...

Shallow #2 - Hit the Back!

9973189.gif

The only other successful Shallow play so far this season shows Moore and Whittington once again running the core Shallow and Dig concept. In this case Ehlinger correctly hit Ingram after the core concept was well covered.

Shallow #3 - Sack

9973190.gif

This clip featured a tight end Brewer Shallow and Whittington still running the Dig. You can see how Brewer runs a little tighter to the Line of Scrimmage and was open due to a linebacker slip. Unfortunately Oklahoma rushed six and overwhelmed the pass protection. Texas at least had a notion of what was coming since the back stayed in to block.

Shallow #4 - Vert Shot 

9973193.gif

On this play Sam looked locked into (I think) Moore on that pre-snap alert to press man coverage for an outside receiver. It doesn't look like the core concept was open anyway, and the running back execution from Robinson was a little freshman-y. Robinson was checking for pass protection before leaking out, but leaked out right into the Shallow cross route's space.

Shallow #5 - Vert Shot

9973198.gif 

That late game end zone interception against Oklahoma was a Shallow call. In this case Sam did scan the core concept before chucking to Moore deep against press-man. Here Ingram did the same concept-breaking running back route as Robinson on #4 up the middle into the Shallow route's space. There might have been a chance to throw the Brewer dig. If Texas wants to keep using this play they must clean up the backs spacing when checking for protection.

Shallow #6 - Empty 3x2

9973203.gif 

This was the only Shallow executed against TCU. This is a good example of running the same concept from variable formations to mask tendencies. This empty backfield 3x2 version just has the back split out wide all the way to the offensive left, running an additional vertical. This makes this a more aggressive flavored Shallow. I like masking tendencies, but I don't get what we're masking here without establishing Shallow within this game. The Shallow route run by Dixon (whodat?) is good at attacking the heels of the defensive line, but just didn't out run his defender. The Dig was very covered and we can't know what was going on deep.

Shallow #7 - Empty 3x2 with a Y-Corner

9973237.gif 

This 3x2 Empty Shallow against Texas Tech featured another open Shallow Crosser, with Ehlinger preferring to attack a Brewer Y-Corner outside route.

Shallow #8 - Trips Variant

Texas also runs a Trips 3x1 Shallow variation that was used sporadically before the Oklahoma game:

9973209.PNG 

This runs the core Shallow/Dig/Back concept on the Boundary side (offensive right above) while letting the two outside receivers on the field side run a stacked crossing post/vert. This post vert combo should rub against man defense and confuse against zone. I think Texas once again runs the progression as core concept first and then the deeper combo here.

9973207.gif 

This Trips Shallow against Texas Tech featured a Brewer Shallow route and a Schooler Dig. I'm armchair quarterbacking here, but I think a throw to the Shallow might have gone better. The back was definitely needed to stay in against six rushers. Nobody was open on the verts combo either.

Shallow #9 - Trips Variant 

9973226.gif 

This other Trips Shallow against Texas Tech gives us another case of should-thrown-the-Shallow-or-Back-but-scrambled. You can see how mortified of 4 Verts that Texas Tech was at this point of this game; dropping back super hard. This defense conceded the Shallow route and Back big time.

Shallow #10 - Trips Variant 

9973232.gif 

On this lone Trips Shallow against Oklahoma, Ehlinger found Moore on the Post of the Vert/Post combo after passing up an open Shallow running Brewer. It's clear the offense is looking to get chunks, and doesn't seem interested in taking the easy chains-moving stuff. Any notions on whether this is Herman bravado, Yurcich aggressiveness, or Ehlinger gun-slinging moxie? I seriously need to know!

Shallow #11 - Two Tight End / 12 Personnel Shallow 

9973239.gif 

This clip against UTEP is a great example of running a consistent concept from variable personnel groups and formations. Here Yurcich used attached tight ends to run the Dig and an outside route, while giving receiver Black a turn at the Shallow. The formation looks like nothing else Texas uses for Shallow, but it's still a basic vanilla Shallow design. You all probably remember this Black trip vividly.

Somebody tell Yurcich he should run all his pass concepts with 4 tight ends, who needs receivers? Receivers suck! I need some Liebrock in my life! (below is a 4 tight end 14P Boundary Mesh - yeah UCLA really runs that, yes seriously, why are you looking at me like that, stop it) 

9973251.gif 

Conclusion

The idea to slot in a constraint play to 4Verts is really strong. The execution on this one has been lacking so far. I have to wonder if the receiver job rotations are starting to hurt.

Here are two Ron McKie videos that go deeper on the concept, I got a few of the points above from these....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Z5UidnS-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY80jswe-lQ

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So yeah...like I said earlier in this thread 4 verts is lame with this offense, and while we are running shallow crosses to get guys in space, we just aren’t taking those throws and instead Sam throws deep into coverage.

wtf... it makes no sense to me. It’s like Sam’s read progression never even looks to the shallow cross. 

Edited by taybo20
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/texas-offense-soln-to-4verts-addiction-shallow-concept-153007449/

Texas Offense Sol'n to 4Verts Addiction - Shallow Concept

Chris Osgood  (247 STAFF)

Let's take a deep dive into the Texas Shallow Cross concept. If you've been following my posts you've probably noticed my complaints about the Longhorn's addiction to inefficient 4 Verticals so far through the first few games. The Shallow Cross concept is a really nice complement for a team that has established 4Verts, and is facing a lot of deep drop cover4/quarters defense which neutralizes 4Verts (according to youtuber Ron McKie). It makes sense that Texas would bring the Shallow concept to the forefront as its 4Verts has been consistently countered by opposing defenses and made unreliable. Texas used Shallow cross once against UTEP (in the 1st half that I tracked), three times against Texas Tech, once against TCU, then an outlier six snaps against Oklahoma. Texas brought a definite Shallow focus into the gameplan against the Sooners. So far Texas has run 11 Shallow plays for modest 3.9 Yards-Per-Play and a poor 18% Success Rate. This underwhelming shallow cross performance shows me it hasn't been a practice emphasis and wasn't a part of the core install. This is likely a mid season adaptation based on how things are going.

9973156.PNG

The vanilla Shallow Cross features a Y or H (yellow above) performing the namesake Shallow Cross attacking the heels of the defensive line. This shallow cross can come from an outside receiver as well, which we'll show Texas doing occasionally. The other of the Y or H (green above) runs a 10 yard dig going the opposite direction. The two outside receivers generally run verticals without any sort of in-snap conversion. These outside receivers can do other stuff in the Shallow concept such as a ten yard out or corner, but Texas consistently has them attacking deep so far. The running back should attack the flat opposite to where the Shallow is headed, and is sometimes kept in for pass protection. The green dig looks to clear space for the shallow, and the running back pulls that "S" defender away from the dig. Ideally the safeties are deep over the middle, leaving the linebackers to deal with tight ends and shifty slots underneath. I *think* the Texas progression is Shallow->Dig->Back->Verts, with a pre-snap alert to throw the verts early with a favorable press man matchup on an outside receiver.

Let's go to the clips! As you may have noticed with this offense so far this year, other than the running backs, the X/Z and H/Y jobs get rotated around a LOT between the outside receivers, slot receivers, and the tight ends.

Shallow #1 - Passing up Open receivers

9973185.gif 

The first Shallow clip shows the Shallow route performed by an outside receiver Z Moore and the Dig performed by H Whittington. This leaves the X and Y to run the verticals outside the hashes. The running back Ingram replaces the Shallow runner, going into the space the Shallow came from and is running away from. I don't like how deep Moore is here, but he's wide open. The back was also wide open. Sam passed up an open first read (Moore Shallow), probably a covered 2nd read (Dig Whittington), and an open 3rd read (Back Ingram) in order to run. Can't argue with 18 yards and a first down though...

Shallow #2 - Hit the Back!

9973189.gif

The only other successful Shallow play so far this season shows Moore and Whittington once again running the core Shallow and Dig concept. In this case Ehlinger correctly hit Ingram after the core concept was well covered.

Shallow #3 - Sack

9973190.gif

This clip featured a tight end Brewer Shallow and Whittington still running the Dig. You can see how Brewer runs a little tighter to the Line of Scrimmage and was open due to a linebacker slip. Unfortunately Oklahoma rushed six and overwhelmed the pass protection. Texas at least had a notion of what was coming since the back stayed in to block.

Shallow #4 - Vert Shot 

9973193.gif

On this play Sam looked locked into (I think) Moore on that pre-snap alert to press man coverage for an outside receiver. It doesn't look like the core concept was open anyway, and the running back execution from Robinson was a little freshman-y. Robinson was checking for pass protection before leaking out, but leaked out right into the Shallow cross route's space.

Shallow #5 - Vert Shot

9973198.gif 

That late game end zone interception against Oklahoma was a Shallow call. In this case Sam did scan the core concept before chucking to Moore deep against press-man. Here Ingram did the same concept-breaking running back route as Robinson on #4 up the middle into the Shallow route's space. There might have been a chance to throw the Brewer dig. If Texas wants to keep using this play they must clean up the backs spacing when checking for protection.

Shallow #6 - Empty 3x2

9973203.gif 

This was the only Shallow executed against TCU. This is a good example of running the same concept from variable formations to mask tendencies. This empty backfield 3x2 version just has the back split out wide all the way to the offensive left, running an additional vertical. This makes this a more aggressive flavored Shallow. I like masking tendencies, but I don't get what we're masking here without establishing Shallow within this game. The Shallow route run by Dixon (whodat?) is good at attacking the heels of the defensive line, but just didn't out run his defender. The Dig was very covered and we can't know what was going on deep.

Shallow #7 - Empty 3x2 with a Y-Corner

9973237.gif 

This 3x2 Empty Shallow against Texas Tech featured another open Shallow Crosser, with Ehlinger preferring to attack a Brewer Y-Corner outside route.

Shallow #8 - Trips Variant

Texas also runs a Trips 3x1 Shallow variation that was used sporadically before the Oklahoma game:

9973209.PNG 

This runs the core Shallow/Dig/Back concept on the Boundary side (offensive right above) while letting the two outside receivers on the field side run a stacked crossing post/vert. This post vert combo should rub against man defense and confuse against zone. I think Texas once again runs the progression as core concept first and then the deeper combo here.

9973207.gif 

This Trips Shallow against Texas Tech featured a Brewer Shallow route and a Schooler Dig. I'm armchair quarterbacking here, but I think a throw to the Shallow might have gone better. The back was definitely needed to stay in against six rushers. Nobody was open on the verts combo either.

Shallow #9 - Trips Variant 

9973226.gif 

This other Trips Shallow against Texas Tech gives us another case of should-thrown-the-Shallow-or-Back-but-scrambled. You can see how mortified of 4 Verts that Texas Tech was at this point of this game; dropping back super hard. This defense conceded the Shallow route and Back big time.

Shallow #10 - Trips Variant 

9973232.gif 

On this lone Trips Shallow against Oklahoma, Ehlinger found Moore on the Post of the Vert/Post combo after passing up an open Shallow running Brewer. It's clear the offense is looking to get chunks, and doesn't seem interested in taking the easy chains-moving stuff. Any notions on whether this is Herman bravado, Yurcich aggressiveness, or Ehlinger gun-slinging moxie? I seriously need to know!

Shallow #11 - Two Tight End / 12 Personnel Shallow 

9973239.gif 

This clip against UTEP is a great example of running a consistent concept from variable personnel groups and formations. Here Yurcich used attached tight ends to run the Dig and an outside route, while giving receiver Black a turn at the Shallow. The formation looks like nothing else Texas uses for Shallow, but it's still a basic vanilla Shallow design. You all probably remember this Black trip vividly.

Somebody tell Yurcich he should run all his pass concepts with 4 tight ends, who needs receivers? Receivers suck! I need some Liebrock in my life! (below is a 4 tight end 14P Boundary Mesh - yeah UCLA really runs that, yes seriously, why are you looking at me like that, stop it) 

9973251.gif 

Conclusion

The idea to slot in a constraint play to 4Verts is really strong. The execution on this one has been lacking so far. I have to wonder if the receiver job rotations are starting to hurt.

Here are two Ron McKie videos that go deeper on the concept, I got a few of the points above from these....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Z5UidnS-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY80jswe-lQ

I never should’ve read this because it’s infuriating on so many levels. 

First, we need to be running more mesh routes when we face as much man coverage as OU ran instead of a shallow and a dig behind it. NFL teams run by the best offensive minds, like Shanahan, McVey, and LaFleur are absolutely killing it with mesh routes this year.  

On #3 we have 11 personnel in an obvious passing down but line Brewer up in the slot so he can run a meaningless shallow route. There’s no question his best use on this play would’ve been to chip the DE to help Jones and then run the same shallow route that’s going nowhere. 

9973190.gif 

Sam’s tendency to lock onto one guy and miss open receivers is in full display in these clips. 
 Here, no one’s really open but it wouldn’t have mattered if they were, because Sam locked into throwing it deep to Moore in double coverage on 3rd and 6. Moore is absolutely not designed to be the first option on this play. This is just Sam screwing up. 

9973193.gif 

Here, Sam has a clean pocket and plenty of time, but chooses to look at his first read for about a second and then chuck an inaccurate deep shot instead of progressing to his second option, which gets separation almost right as he looks away from his first read. 

9973198.gif 

Again, he has a clean pocket, plenty of time, never moves past his first option and throws it to a smothered receiver 1 yard downfield in 2nd and 16. None of our receivers got a lot of separation, but he had better options or could’ve looked to run to his right and beat the spy. 

9973203.gif 

And again. He never looks past his first option and decided to throw it to a blanketed receiver right when the dig comes open underneath. 

9973237.gif 

Here Sam finds the open man, but just throws it high and behind even though he had a clean pocket. 

9973207.gif 

Brewer is the first read and he’s wide ass open. Sam never sees him. 

9973226.gif 

Our offensive failings are certainly not all on Sam. Our OL sucks and as you can tell from a lot of these clips, our receivers aren’t getting good separation, in no small part because we have guys like Cade Brewer lining up in the slot as the first or second option on these routes, which is a total waste. We’re also not scheming help for our clearly overwhelmed RT, usually so we can have Brewer running routes from the slot. 

But Sam has been doing a really poor job of making reads on these plays and just locking into the wrong option pre-snap. There are absolutely guys getting open more often than it looks watching live. People see the ball go to a covered receiver and assume no one was open, but way too often it’s just Sam missing the open guy. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

So yeah...like I said earlier in this thread 4 verts is lame with this offense, and while we are running shallow crosses to get guys in space, we just aren’t taking those throws and instead Sam throws deep into coverage.

wtf... it makes no sense to me. It’s like Sam’s read progression never even looks to the shallow cross. 

Sam is better with bigger WRs in one-on-one match-ups.  WRs not getting off press coverage, and horri-bad OL blocking is a recipe for disaster in this offense if Herman won't free Yurcich up to better scheme open WRs.

More motion, cluster packages and Sam needs to check down a helluva lot faster.  The 4 Verts won't be as effective until TEXAS gets more underneath stuff working and shows their offense can run 8-10 consecutive plays without giving up a sack or committing stupid penalties.

What a clusterfuck of poor execution on offense...

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sam is better with bigger WRs in one-on-one match-ups.  WRs not getting off press coverage, and horri-bad OL blocking is a recipe for disaster in this offense if Herman won't free Yurcich up to better scheme open WRs.

More motion, cluster packages and Sam needs to check down a helluva lot faster.  The 4 Verts won't be as effective until TEXAS gets more underneath stuff working and shows their offense can run 8-10 consecutive plays without giving up a sack or committing stupid penalties.

What a clusterfuck of poor execution on offense...

He’s definitely better with bigger WRs, but that’s only because they bail him out when he doesn’t read the field and just decides pre-snap to throw a jump ball into coverage. Ideally, Sam would‘ve corrected this issue, but we’re halfway through year 4, so that’s not happening. Sigh. 

• Rage+1 1

We really don't do much of anything to make you pay for covering the deep pass. Our run game, save Sam, is atrocious at this point and we clearly aren't letting Sam run much.

Add to that, our short passing game is limited and we're not very good at executing it consistently, so even if we get a few first downs we're likely to stop ourselves sooner or later through poor execution or penalities.

We tend to like to dig holes for ourselves and then chunk it deep and pray it works. We might win a few of those match ups, but we'll miss a lot, too and you have a decent shot at an interception given we seem to throw it whether it's well covered or not.

The more I think about it, the more clear it becomes how easy we are to defend. Until we get something going on the run game or get some short passing concepts we can reliably execute, we're a one trick pony who's not that good at our one trick.

• Rage+1 1

I’ve never understood why we didn’t run more mesh routes, even now. What good are these super quick and shifty receivers if they aren’t being utilized correctly. But that has been consistent with Herman and poor personnel decisions. The poor coaching and shitty play is unacceptable. The coaches still don’t seem to be trying to leverage the talent against opposing defenses and instead are playing into their hands.