Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

Ok, so you weren’t paying attention. 

2021 OSU. A Texas rusher tries to hold up before running into Sandwrs, after he releases the ball. No harm, but a 15 yard roughing the passer to keep a drive alive early in the second half. Later, a Cowboy hits Casey Thompson late, driving his helmet into his sternum, injuring him. No call. 

2021 Baylor: Second half- Baylor hits our punter. Clear contact. No call, no review. 

It wasn’t just the bad calls, it’s the safety issue. 

Look, no one expects the same officiating standards game to game. We do expect the same standards in the same game. 

Actually I expect them to be reasonably similar in how they define a catch, call holding/PI, etc.

2021 OSU. A Texas rusher tries to hold up before running into Sandwrs, after he releases the ball. No harm, but a 15 yard roughing the passer to keep a drive alive early in the second half. Later, a Cowboy hits Casey Thompson late, driving his helmet into his sternum, injuring him. No call. 

2021 Baylor: Second half- Baylor hits our punter. Clear contact. No call, no review. 

Look, no one expects the same officiating standards game to game. We do expect the same standards in the same game. 

I paid quite a bit of attention. See Arkansas for the safety issue.

WVU hit Card late. Hurt him. No penalty.

I was thinking they did review the BU punt block. But you left out the critical non-call of holding in BUs late TD drive.

But for all that shit, OU got 1 dead ball penalty. And one hold near midfield that the whole world viewed and couldn’t be ignored. That was the worst officiated game that year. Also a team departing the conference.

I just believe there’s is an anti Texas feel that is nothing new. Big 12 champ games versus OU. The 4th and 2 failure to call procedure. The hold then interference on LJH late that killed a drive. The Strong OSU game. The two Tom Herman OPI called on replays - never seen that anywhere else. I could go on.

And part of this narrative is that OU got hosed last year. In 2021 OU game winning TDs should have come back versus Texas and Kansas. Key blocks at the point of attack. It is possible this bias kicked in one week after TX-OU or maybe it was before that but only Texas and then it was decided after the season to screw OU too.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Should've left for the SEC or independent or anywhere in 2016. Took 8 fucking years too long.

It's been going on this whole time so sloppily too 

Okie State fans think that 2015 game was fairly called. Just ask the ones who post here.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Ok, I misunderstood your tone. 

I don’t believe in conspiracies (except, in 2015 OSU, I do believe at some point in the game the crew decided Texas wasn’t going to get to win that day). 

I do believe in bias. The conference believed Texas’ ownership of the LHN was stealing value from them, and that was felt in the conference offices and leadership. Then, when Texas and OU announced they were leaving, it ramped up. B12 coaches are “us” to these crews and Texas is very much “not us”. 

Not just XII, but SEC, and other leagues. Is there a list of football officials complete with various info such as where they went to school, where their current affiliations lie, officiating gigs, and so on?

Not trying to make any point, just curious.There is a footballzebras dot com, but I only saw stories, no lists.

I’d agree biases are possible and those biases may be ramped up since the move was announced.

I just have a long memory, that’s not particularly healthy, when it comes to such officiating that feels more of the same.

Just had a flashback to Herman versus TCU at DKR when Overshown was held, flag was thrown then called off. Clear hold at the point of attack.

They treat us like we’re ISU or something. Except when we play ISU.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL 

There will be a "Fuck the SEC refs" thread on this Board before your first season in the SEC is done.... probably before the end of September.

Nah, I’ve watched sec games all my life. You don’t even notice the officials in that conference. 

In the big 12 they insert themselves into almost every game. Fucked up calls, reviewing shit constantly, having conferences to talk about the call or non call every 10 plays. It’s tough to watch even when they aren’t obviously rigging the game. 

Then there’s the chickenshit targeting and roughing calls constantly. It’s an entirely different style of play, it sucks to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’d agree biases are possible and those biases may be ramped up since the move was announced.

I just have a long memory, that’s not particularly healthy, when it comes to such officiating that feels more of the same.

Just had a flashback to Herman versus TCU at DKR when Overshown was held, flag was thrown then called off. Clear hold at the point of attack.

They treat us like we’re ISU or something. Except when we play ISU.

They treat us like the league office is in Kansas City and the refs are all from tiny towns like Lubbock and hate Texas. 
They h8 us cuz they anus. 

31 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Nah, I’ve watched sec games all my life. You don’t even notice the officials in that conference. 

In the big 12 they insert themselves into almost every game. Fucked up calls, reviewing shit constantly, having conferences to talk about the call or non call every 10 plays. It’s tough to watch even when they aren’t obviously rigging the game. 

Then there’s the chickenshit targeting and roughing calls constantly. It’s an entirely different style of play, it sucks to watch. 

Seriously. The fucking 5 minute conferences after every gotdamn play are a beating. Just brutal, even as you said, when they get it right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IMO the Horns will be “better off” in the SEC officiating wise. The former head of SEC officials is now more linked as the head of NCAA officiating. He’s also been very instrumental in rule changes over the last 3-5 years and they (officials) get constant training throughout the season. He also helps with the NCAA rule book that is published online, if you’d like to take a look.

As a former TXHS FB official, Shaw has been very approachable to our group, as we utilize NCAA rules, with very few exceptions. So any bias against the Horns, where there might be in the B12 office, will be gone going into 2024.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 4

If you don’t think Rig XII refs screw UT, you’re just dishonest. It’s so obvious that ignorance isn’t even possible. 

Member those 2 games last year where our opponents didn’t get penalized (OSU and Baylor)? I member.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, statsman said:

Let’s not forget the chit that went on against Okie State last year.  They ended the game with zero penalties while we had 14 for 119 yards.  How does a team that throws for 400 yards not get called for a hold or two?   That’s some strange chit.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Let’s not forget the chit that went on against Okie State last year.  They ended the game with zero penalties while we had 14 for 119 yards.  How does a team that throws for 400 yards not get called for a hold or two?   That’s some strange chit.    

Also, due to injury, the Okie States had two freshmen playing on the OL. How did they do it? The announcer, Dvoracek, concluded they must just be that much better coached. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Scholz said:

If you don’t think Rig XII refs screw UT, you’re just dishonest. It’s so obvious that ignorance isn’t even possible. 

Member those 2 games last year where our opponents didn’t get penalized (OSU and Baylor)? I member.

<Insert Holding stats for Texas and hell even OU last year>

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

<Insert Holding stats for Texas and hell even OU last year>

My favorite part of last season was OU fans all the sudden wondering why they were being called for holding after getting a free pass for the last 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, hornian said:

My favorite part of last season was OU fans all the sudden wondering why they were being called for holding after getting a free pass for the last 20 years. 

Yeah that bit was funny.  It doesn't make up for 20+ years of screwjobs, but it still felt pleasantly satisfactory.

• Like 1

From 2019 thru 2022, the least number of penalties per game and penalty yards per game for OU was 2022. 50 yards per game. The peak was 70 something yards per game.

In 2019 and 2022, OU had more penalties and penalty yards than their opponents.

Covid 2020 led all years in penalties caused in only 11 games, but the opponents had 100 to OUs 80. In 2019 OU had 86 penalties to 70 for their opponents. They had 74 in 2022.

In those same years, the lowest yards per penalty was 2021 followed by 2022.

Lots of variables within that but 50 yards per game in penalties in 2022 ain’t that much. PreSEC move announcement, they averaged 70 penalty yards per game. Post announcement about 54 per game. That’s 30% lower.

I’d guess that penalties assessed are down across the board in the Big 12. And it’s possible these discrepancies occurred due to non-conference games.

13 hours ago, Zeus said:

Uh huh. I'm sure that's it. 

The issue is definitely *not* that you pay extreme close attention and notice every bad call that goes against your team but don't notice it when it happens to other teams because you aren't emotionally invested in those teams. Nope. No confirmation bias here at all.

Like I said, I can't wait for the "Fuck SEC Refs" thread. 

• Fuck You 7

12 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I'm not going to re-litigate that whole thing because it was well-covered last year.

We *were* flagged twice for holding in that game - one was declined because it was on 3rd down and the other was offset by a roughing the passer call on Texas.

Almost all of the flags on Texas were procedure penalties. What are the refs supposed to do? Not throw flags when you jump offsides?

• Fuck You 4

19 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm not going to re-litigate that whole thing because it was well-covered last year.

We *were* flagged twice for holding in that game - one was declined because it was on 3rd down and the other was offset by a roughing the passer call on Texas.

Almost all of the flags on Texas were procedure penalties. What are the refs supposed to do? Not throw flags when you jump offsides?

How about “not throw a flag on Christian Jones for a textbook pancake block, when Ewers finally made a big play with his legs late in the game?”

Are you really arguing Texas got a fair shake in that game from the officials?

Edited by statsman

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

(11:55 - 1st) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Johnson Jr., Stephon, PENALTY TEXAS pass interference 15 yards to the OKLAST40, NO PLAY, 1ST DOWN OKLAST.

10:06 - 1st) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Richardson, Dominic, PENALTY TEXAS offside 5 yards to the TEXAS13, NO PLAY.

(10:02 - 1st) TEXAS Penalty, Defensive Offside (5 Yards) to the Texas 8 for a 1ST down

(4:47 - 1st) TEXAS Penalty, False Start (-6 Yards) to the OKSt 12

12:26 - 2nd) Spencer Sanders run for 9 yds to the Texas 49 for a 1ST down TEXAS Penalty, Personal Foul (15 Yards) to the Texas 36 for a 1ST down

11:41 - 2nd) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Shettron, Talyn, PENALTY TEXAS offside 5 yards to the TEXAS21, NO PLAY.

9:18 - 2nd) TEXAS Penalty, False Start (-5 Yards) to the OKSt 19

(8:44 - 2nd) TEXAS Penalty, False Start (-5 Yards) to the OKSt 24

5:27 - 2nd) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Green, Bryson, PENALTY TEXAS pass interference 15 yards to the TEXAS12, NO PLAY, 1ST DOWN OKLAST.

(3:26 - 2nd) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Johnson Jr., Stephon, PENALTY TEXAS roughing passer off-setting, PENALTY OKLAST Holding off-setting, NO PLAY.

(2:47 - 2nd) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Shettron, Talyn, PENALTY TEXAS pass interference 9 yards to the TEXAS2, NO PLAY, 1ST DOWN OKLAST.

(11:54 - 3rd) Sanders, Spencer pass incomplete to Green, Bryson, PENALTY TEXAS pass interference 15 yards to the OKLAST29, NO PLAY, 1ST DOWN OKLAST.

2:05 - 4th) Ewers, Quinn rush for 33 yards to the OKLAST35, PENALTY TEXAS holding 10 yards to the TEXAS22, NO PLAY.

Look at the end of the damn game - all KEY plays that either ended Texas drives or extended OSU drives.  Utter bullshit

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

There were two plays all season, where holding was called on the other offense. In each case, the opposing offense was bailed by a personal foul on Texas. 

There are offensive and defensive holding calls that can be called on every play. Or not called. There is a gray area, a range the official has to work in, using discretion. There is also the factor of rival coaches working the officials, telling them what to call or not call. 

If an official comes into a game with a bias, it can be a big factor. In the Big 12, they have a bias. The league office dislikes Texas. We all heard the conference COO. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

And you guys were just as dishonest about it last year. The crooked refs killed our drives and kept yours alive.

Baylor wasn’t penalized either. By the same crew. You think that’s coincidence? Give me a fucking break.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1. Of course fans tend to notice calls unfavorable to their team as suspect with greater frequency. Put the straw man down. No one here is claiming otherwise.

2. Of course there were procedural penalties on Texas and again no one is arguing otherwise. Curious that OSU including its freshman OL committed zero such penalties.

3. Of course there were two calls Texas declined-- they were calls that didn't hurt OSU, a fact not lost on the refs. They ended up changing nothing.

4. While the other B12 crews that officiated Texas games could be argued to have made errors potentially explained by bias, the real argument from last year is about the OSU/Baylor crew. To argue that they called the game neutrally in the face of the overwhelming statistical and replay evidence to the contrary is the pinnacle of futility. To argue such is either supremely disingenuous or catastrophically fatuous.

5. The league COO is on the record mocking Texas. Just wow.

6. The officials will be biased against us because they are human. I think most will work hard to call a fair game and therefore will not have their thumb heavy enough on the scales to change anything but the closest of contests. If we get the monkey crew, watch out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

The issue is definitely *not* that you pay extreme close attention and notice every bad call that goes against your team but don't notice it when it happens to other teams because you aren't emotionally invested in those teams. Nope. No confirmation bias here at all.

You must be new. We clearly acknowledge bad calls for our team. Including the Iowa State win. But keep projecting.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

We might notice those calls going against the other teams, but it's hard to do when the other teams are hardly penalized, if at all. Like I said, it's easy to joke about it when the gun's not pointed at you. I'll enjoy watching when y'all get it in the ass. NTTAWWT.

If you can watch that 2015 game or some others and not come away with the conclusion that the refs were consciously, intentionally fucking Texas as hard as they could, then you're either a complete fucking idiot or just aren't being honest with yourself.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, statsman said:

How about “not throw a flag on Christian Jones for a textbook pancake block, when Ewers finally made a big play with his legs late in the game?”

Are you really arguing Texas got a fair shake in that game from the officials?

No, he won't try to make an actual, reasoned argument, because he knows that such a thing is impossible to do. He'll just keep saying we're crying about nothing, get over it, man up, get ready for the same thing in the SEC, etc, etc. You know, like a little gaping pussy bitch would do.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

We will get fucked. Bet on it.  I'm sure the B52 conference officials do not want Texas and/or ou in the championship game.  The best scenario is just beat the shit out of everyone.  Can't throw a flag on every play.....can you?

Maybe, but there is at least one thing we can do... going back to HS basketball, our coach made sure that no one drove to the basket on us, in a rough, but fair, way: at least three of us hammered anyone who tried. As the coach said, "they can't call but one foul, men - errybody hit 'em, and hit 'em hard."

There're football analogies to that. Get after it. I particularly want to see at least three guys smack the shit out of the guy who buried Ewers last year - Turner, was it? No targeting, just plain old force, from the opening whistle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2008 Tech game was also quite an exposition in two sets of rules.  The Tech O-line was allowed to do anything they wanted including wrestling moves and they let them get away with it, even when they injured Orakpo.  On top of that, they penalized Texas for holding which was not holding just to drive the point home that the fix was in.  They put the thumbs on the scale for that game.  We still had a chance but, had the game been called correctly, it wouldn't have been close.  

Tech mysteriously wasn't called for holding that game which was an aberration from all their previous games and IIRC the games after that.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

The crew was led by a referee that had been released by the PAC-12. Its clear he wanted to be on the hood side of his bosses. 

What the league thinks of Texas? Weiser’s comments are telling. He said that OU didn’t really want to leave the B12, but was being forced by UT. 

First- that’s wrong. Nobody is forcing OU to leave the confer they dominated. Second, for the last several years, Sooner fans have been very open, talking to Texas fans, about how they think the B12 was holding them back, that there were a number of conferences that would welcome them (and wouldn’t want UT, they would insert). 

Where did the league office get the idea that UT was leveraging OU out? My guess- from OU. I think OU has spent over a decade telling the league office that the LHN was stealing money that belonged to the league, and UT was a bad conference mate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, statsman said:

Where did the league office get the idea that UT was leveraging OU out? My guess- from OU. I think OU has spent over a decade telling the league office that the LHN was stealing money that belonged to the league, and UT was a bad conference mate. 

Yeah, this brain trust:

Big_12_Expansion_Heal_1_WEB.max-640x480.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

The crew was led by a referee that had been released by the PAC-12. Its clear he wanted to be on the hood side of his bosses. 

What the league thinks of Texas? Weiser’s comments are telling. He said that OU didn’t really want to leave the B12, but was being forced by UT. 

First- that’s wrong. Nobody is forcing OU to leave the confer they dominated. Second, for the last several years, Sooner fans have been very open, talking to Texas fans, about how they think the B12 was holding them back, that there were a number of conferences that would welcome them (and wouldn’t want UT, they would insert). 

Tim Weiser is a grifter who lies about everything.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2008 Tech game was also quite an exposition in two sets of rules.  The Tech O-line was allowed to do anything they wanted including wrestling moves and they let them get away with it, even when they injured Orakpo.  On top of that, they penalized Texas for holding which was not holding just to drive the point home that the fix was in.  They put the thumbs on the scale for that game.  We still had a chance but, had the game been called correctly, it wouldn't have been close.  
Tech mysteriously wasn't called for holding that game which was an aberration from all their previous games and IIRC the games after that.  

I always feel the need to add some clarity here. Tech got away with several hands to the face/face mask penalties. Not “subjective” holding penalties but clear cut pulling defensive linemen by their facemask.

The hold called on Ulatoski preceded a Tech pick six. The only hold called and was marginal at best, atrocious given the actions of the night.

Even though we beat OU going away that year, it was only a 10 point deficit. Imagine if that’s a 21 point game. How does that play out come seasons end? If I remember correctly, this was the two faux roughing the punter calls. Essentially turnovers. Yeah, there were two borderline calls on Colt but they weren’t drive extenders/change of possession.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Scholz said:

We didn’t draw a holding call in big12 play all year. 
Probably never happened to any team ever

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

okay-rodney-dangerfield.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1