Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s really neat for you guys. 

My post remains correct. You literally posted a link refuting your own position from a known authority on the subject matter. 

Meh. It was equivocal. 

I’m out of O&G now. Working for a non-profit. I have not been able to convert my Board or management to the use of M for thousand and MM for million.  

SIAP. Aggy hot seat temperature check from Bruce Feldman.

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
This is by far the biggest one to watch. The buyout is insanely high, around $76 million. But the man who once led FSU to a national title has really, really underperformed at Texas A&M, and there’s no getting around that.
They are paying him gobs of money with the expectation that this program will compete for national titles and he just lost his eighth consecutive road game. The Aggies have lost two in a row and have dropped nine of their last 12 games against Power 5 opponents. They didn’t even make a bowl game last season despite a roster loaded with five-star talent and what was regarded by the online recruiting services as the highest-ranked recruiting class of all time. He’s had one good season in College Station: 9-1 in the pandemic season of 2020. Since then, the Aggies have not finished a season ranked in the AP poll.
His hire this offseason of Bobby Petrino has been underwhelming. The Aggies are No. 10 in the SEC in offense and dead last in red zone touchdown percentage. As one source told me earlier this season: “It’s Year 6. What is Fisher going to do now that’ll convince anyone at this point that he can lead them to a national title? What’s another 8-4 gonna prove?”
Texas A&M, I’m told, will find the money to get rid of him if he can’t get this thing going — and yes, it absolutely does matter to important folks down there that Texas has a chance to be a College Football Playoff team this year 
 and Steve Sarkisian has been on the job for half as long as Jimbo.

Temperature check: Hot and getting hotter

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

It’s not 77MM all up front; I think it’s only 25% due within 60 days. While painful, it’s also the long term commitment over the remaining years to continue paying it (and the current staff buyouts) off on top of the initial outlay for the new coach and new staff. You’re asking a lot of wealthy donors to pay a lot of money for basically a decade - the same people that likely have already been heavily donating to NIL efforts. 

Something has to give. The suspense is killing me; I hope it’ll last. 

Then recurring payments start 120 days after that. So it’s like 25 million plus within the first 6 months of termination just to Jimbo alone. Looking at another 8-11 million in staff buyouts and cost to bring in another staff. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Jesus some of yall are dense. Aggy aint firing Jimbo after this season. He could lose out and still wont be fired. They dont have the money and Johnson is his mulligan

I was told by Looch that Johnson is the best damn backup QB in the SEC!

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Meh. It was equivocal. 

I’m out of O&G now. Working for a non-profit. I have not been able to convert my Board or management to the use of M for thousand and MM for million.  

Why is this so damn important to you?   I’m just curious at this point.  

1 hour ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

SIAP. Aggy hot seat temperature check from Bruce Feldman.

As I said the other day, it’s obvious they’ve given the green light to start attacking Jimbo. They’ll try to convince the money guys to buy him out. It’s a huge ask and I don’t think they’ll be successful. 

Good money after bad. They’re fucking idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If they can scratch up enough to pay off Jimbo and hire a new coach, while paying his early exit fees, who’s going to pay the players?

Too much $$$ for no substance on the field, ie: No Jimbo payout this year! Can you imagine someone asking you to donate multiple thousands of dollars, of your money, for nothing but to pay someone off? That’s some selling ice to an Eskimo shit right there!

Hook’em!!!

9 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Can you imagine someone asking you to donate multiple thousands of dollars, of your money, for nothing but to pay someone off? 

Not that hard to imagine, unfortunately. Every time a&m gets a new 5*, I get about 10 desperate sales calls from State Farm agents.

• Haha 5

That’s a hilarious update. 

first, he insults Miller by insinuating that it takes rival coaches to tell him that aggy is 4-3 after their pitch to him is watch us win big this season. 

then he pivots to “smoke” that Texas was reaching out only to confirm that Texas wasn’t reaching out. 

then he drops the nugget about the kid from magnolia that Utah thinks is a linebacker but aggy thinks is an h-back. Like what would Utah know about player projections and evaluations?  aggy is full up with great linebackers I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s a hilarious update. 

first, he insults Miller by insinuating that it takes rival coaches to tell him that aggy is 4-3 after their pitch to him is watch us win big this season. 

then he pivots to “smoke” that Texas was reaching out only to confirm that Texas wasn’t reaching out. 

then he drops the nugget about the kid from magnolia that Utah thinks is a linebacker but aggy thinks is an h-back. Like what would Utah know about player projections and evaluations?  aggy is full up with great linebackers I guess. 

Well Aaron Hansford had such a great career at aggy so

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

aggy paying $100 million in buyouts to hire Mike Elko is so perfectly aggy. Elko might be good  but just a reminder these are the teams he's beaten so far. $100 million for this?  

Temple (3-9)

Northwestern (1-11)

North Carolina A&T (7-4)

Virginia (3-7)

Miami (5-7)

Boston College (3-9)

Virginia Tech (3-8)

Pittsburgh (9-4)

Wake Forest (8-5)

UCF (9-5)

Lafayette (FCS)

Northwestern (3-3)

UCONN (1-5)

NC State (4-3)

Clemson (4-2)

I've watched two of those games in person this season (Clemson and NC State) - with virtually no homefield advantage against regional rivals he's coached an absolutely hateful defense. The other team does fun stuff between the 30s and absolutely nothing close to their end zone. He's also perfectly happy letting his Kingsbury/Norvell alum OC run a solid offense without his input beyond being a bit of a pussy about punting.

Dude can coach.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Vermin said:

H-backs were a Mack specialty. The sweet spot of players too slow for WR and too small for TE.

I watch a lot of football and never hear the announcers say this guy is an H-back and boy is he making plays.

What a perfect position for aggy to “right the ship” on, fucking H-Back. Not seen in these parts since the Jimbo Fisher offense was considered innovative. 

2 hours ago, Vermin said:

H-backs were a Mack specialty. The sweet spot of players too slow for WR and too small for TE.

I watch a lot of football and never hear the announcers say this guy is an H-back and boy is he making plays.

H-backs can be very effective in a downhill gap-scheme offense, especially with a running quarterback, e.g. K State, North Dakota State, et al. But in Jimbo's "I googled and downloaded Mike Holmgren's playbook PDF" pro-style offense, it doesn't make much sense.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I've watched two of those games in person this season (Clemson and NC State) - with virtually no homefield advantage against regional rivals he's coached an absolutely hateful defense. The other team does fun stuff between the 30s and absolutely nothing close to their end zone. He's also perfectly happy letting his Kingsbury/Norvell alum OC run a solid offense without his input beyond being a bit of a pussy about punting.

Dude can coach.

I think Elko is good but not really sold. He's coached a grand total of 1 game so far at Duke against a top-25 team (per the ESPN efficiency rankings) and it's a game Duke lost. 

I think we will find out more over the next 4 weeks when Duke plays 3 more top 25 teams under the same metric. So far Elko has done a really good job of beating mediocre to bad teams. The next 4 weeks will show us if he can beat good teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

“Nowadays these kids only chase wins and/or dollars.” I’m sorry, considering the landscape, exactly what else should these kids be chasing? I guess the other ones would be development and education, which, yeah, brings me laughingly back to a&m. What a fucking idiot. 

I’m about to be Gundy+4,  and Dollars and Wins are pretty fucking high on my personal priority list. Retirement doesn’t fucking pay for itself, nor does my kids college fund. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Tree Fidy said:

Why is this so damn important to you?   I’m just curious at this point.  

It’s not. It’s how I used it for 25 years in the O&G industry so it catches my eye when I see it in print. I dropped a one-liner in the thread, thought that would be the end of it. I don’t really care. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyone care to do a top ten power ranking of likely A&M decommitments? I was hoping to get to 10, but I'm struggling to determine how to finish out the list

1) Myles Davis

2) Dealyn Evans

3) Terry Bussey

4) Tyanthony Smith

5)

6) Cameron Coleman

7) Gabriel Reliford

'8) Weston Davis

9) Tristan Jernigan

10)

I deleted the name in number five, but I forgot who I had there

• Hook 'Em 1