Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Elko is good but not really sold. He's coached a grand total of 1 game so far at Duke against a top-25 team (per the ESPN efficiency rankings) and it's a game Duke lost. 

I think we will find out more over the next 4 weeks when Duke plays 3 more top 25 teams under the same metric. So far Elko has done a really good job of beating mediocre to bad teams. The next 4 weeks will show us if he can beat good teams. 

Charlie Strong2.0

Did a good job as a DC.  Left for a mid-tier program and had "some" success.  At this point Strong had a much better resume and we all saw how that turned out.  There's zero pressure for Elko at Duke.  If he's smart he'll let it ride for a few years then have the pick of the litter for coaching jobs if he has sustained success.  I have also heard the family LOVES the area and school.  

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Charlie Strong2.0

Did a good job as a DC.  Left for a mid-tier program and had "some" success.  At this point Strong had a much better resume and we all saw how that turned out.  There's zero pressure for Elko at Duke.  If he's smart he'll let it ride for a few years then have the pick of the litter for coaching jobs if he has sustained success.  I have also heard the family LOVES the area and school.  

I don't want Elko at A&M.  He's not a sure thing but turning Duke into a competitor in a Power 5 conference is impressive, period.  In hindsight, Charlie Strong was fools gold because he was at Louisville and had Teddy Bridgewater winning hime games.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Charlie Strong2.0

Strong went 14-12 his first two years at Louisville with one top 25 win (Vs #24 West Virginia) in a non power conference. Elko is 14-5 at this point in a power 5 conference with one top 25 win (#9 Clemson). If he loses out, he finishes with the same record as Strong. I struggle to see how Strong's HC resume is "much better" at similar points in their career. I'm not saying Elko is the next Nick Saban, but he's better out of the gate than Strong. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Strong went 14-12 his first two years at Louisville with one top 25 win (Vs #24 West Virginia) in a non power conference. Elko is 14-5 at this point in a power 5 conference with one top 25 win (#9 Clemson). If he loses out, he finishes with the same record as Strong. I struggle to see how Strong's HC resume is "much better" at similar points in their career. I'm not saying Elko is the next Nick Saban, but he's better out of the gate than Strong. 

How is Duke's FG/XP blocking protection?

If that hasn't completely gone into the shitter, then I can saw with certainty that Elko is a better coach than Strong.

TIE BREAKER: How has his team performed on Pregame Coin Flips?

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 3

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• Drelon Miller‍ mentioned he was not a fan of losing. It led me to believe the recruiting rivals were hammering that. He watched LSU light up Auburn. I got a phone call Monday that said things were happening. It comes down to winning games and Drelon playing on a team with a team to maximize his production and development. It had nothing to do with a disdain for A&M. They loved College Station. His parents were comfortable sending him here. They acted remorseful that he had to decommit. They are looking out for the future of the kid.

• It comes down to winning games and being productive. They have preached to Drelon the Ainias Smith role, but they have had trouble getting Ainias the ball. Losing Conner Weigman hurts. 

• Brian Kelly is in year two. Billy Napier in year two. Steve Sarkisian is in year three. A&M is scrambling to put out fires. They have eliminated any margin for error. I don't know what 8-4 tastes like to a lot of kids. The defensive kids see a defense playing lights out and young guys. Myles Davis‍ knows Demani Richardson is leaving. 

• There are schools that are trying to pluck A&M commits right now. A&M has rebounded nicely last year. We will have to see. 

• You can talk about Weigman and say look at what we were doing with this guy pulling the trigger. The bye week is a good and bad time. The coaches are on the road this week. They need to see these kids. You only have two big home games. You have one at 11 a.m. It makes things tough. You have things working against you. 

• It's too early to say, but it could ripple into the 2025 class. The coaches on staff have gotten off to great starts with the top targets. I have talked a lot about the 2025 talent in Houston.
    Offensive and defensive lines are loaded. You don't want it to have a carry-over into 2025.

• It's not all doom and gloom. There are kids that are still good right now. We have checked in with Myles Davis, Dealyn Evans‍ and Gabriel Reliford‍. I have not heard anything definitive on Tyanthony Smith‍ and Weston Davis‍. If you see them popping up on visits, that's a good indicator. I don't think it will come folding in all at once. 

• You have to keep trying to sell Texas A&M and the value of this place. No matter what is going on with wins and losses, there are cranes moving. Kids can see that. You have sold the sizzle for a long time. You have to have the steak tasting good. 

• They could 9-3 and sign the rest of them. You could sign Drelon too. Drelon wants to be given a reason to come to A&M.

• The staff will start looking at prospects on their board that weren't really on your radar and go watch them. We will see some of those names pop up. There is a name getting a really strong look right now that I put on the Premium boards. 

• Weather the storm and keep what you got. Hold your ground recruiting-wise. Beat South Carolina. Find a way to beat Ole Miss, and you are looking good for a while. In the meantime, keep it all together
  • Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I was looking at times when both coaches are potential candidates for bigger schools.  At this point in his career, nobody was looking at Strong.  It wasn't until he went on a tear with Bridgewater that his stock started to rise.  Not a perfect comparison, I know, but there are similarities.  

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I was looking at times when both coaches are potential candidates for bigger schools.  At this point in his career, nobody was looking at Strong.  It wasn't until he went on a tear with Bridgewater that his stock started to rise.  Not a perfect comparison, I know, but there are similarities.  

Even more reason why Elko is off to a better coaching career. He's in his second year as HC in a power 5 conference and is already a potential candidate for bigger schools. I dont get your argument at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Even more reason why Elko is off to a better coaching career. He's in his second year as HC in a power 5 conference and is already a potential candidate for bigger schools. I dont get your argument at all. 

It's still early.  There's not really a body or sustained work to hang your hat on just yet.  

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

By Ryan Brauninger  

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• Drelon Miller‍ mentioned he was not a fan of losing. It led me to believe the recruiting rivals were hammering that. He watched LSU light up Auburn. I got a phone call Monday that said things were happening. It comes down to winning games and Drelon playing on a team with a team to maximize his production and development. It had nothing to do with a disdain for A&M. They loved College Station. His parents were comfortable sending him here. They acted remorseful that he had to decommit. They are looking out for the future of the kid.

• It comes down to winning games and being productive. They have preached to Drelon the Ainias Smith role, but they have had trouble getting Ainias the ball. Losing Conner Weigman hurts. 

• Brian Kelly is in year two. Billy Napier in year two. Steve Sarkisian is in year three. A&M is scrambling to put out fires. They have eliminated any margin for error. I don't know what 8-4 tastes like to a lot of kids. The defensive kids see a defense playing lights out and young guys. Myles Davis‍ knows Demani Richardson is leaving. 

• There are schools that are trying to pluck A&M commits right now. A&M has rebounded nicely last year. We will have to see. 

• You can talk about Weigman and say look at what we were doing with this guy pulling the trigger. The bye week is a good and bad time. The coaches are on the road this week. They need to see these kids. You only have two big home games. You have one at 11 a.m. It makes things tough. You have things working against you. 

• It's too early to say, but it could ripple into the 2025 class. The coaches on staff have gotten off to great starts with the top targets. I have talked a lot about the 2025 talent in Houston.
    Offensive and defensive lines are loaded. You don't want it to have a carry-over into 2025.

• It's not all doom and gloom. There are kids that are still good right now. We have checked in with Myles Davis, Dealyn Evans‍ and Gabriel Reliford‍. I have not heard anything definitive on Tyanthony Smith‍ and Weston Davis‍. If you see them popping up on visits, that's a good indicator. I don't think it will come folding in all at once. 

• You have to keep trying to sell Texas A&M and the value of this place. No matter what is going on with wins and losses, there are cranes moving. Kids can see that. You have sold the sizzle for a long time. You have to have the steak tasting good. 

• They could 9-3 and sign the rest of them. You could sign Drelon too. Drelon wants to be given a reason to come to A&M.

• The staff will start looking at prospects on their board that weren't really on your radar and go watch them. We will see some of those names pop up. There is a name getting a really strong look right now that I put on the Premium boards. 

• Weather the storm and keep what you got. Hold your ground recruiting-wise. Beat South Carolina. Find a way to beat Ole Miss, and you are looking good for a while. In the meantime, keep it all together

giphy.gif
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Charlie Strong2.0

A lot of time has passed and agents have gotten a lot smarter. Elko is likely to be much more deliberate in his choices than Strong was back in the day. Whoever the agent for Strong was, as well as the brass at Texas, they failed Strong in that hiring. It's the old "once you realized you could do it, you didn't pause to consider whether you *should* do it" premise from Jurassic Park. Strong wasn't ready for the role at Texas and it arguably ruined his career.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I don't want Elko at A&M.  He's not a sure thing but turning Duke into a competitor in a Power 5 conference is impressive, period.  In hindsight, Charlie Strong was fools gold because he was at Louisville and had Teddy Bridgewater winning hime games.

I don't disagree entirely, but one of the rickys ( @Ricky's one-hitter or @Rickylovesweed ) did a good job of pointing out that Elko's Duke teams haven't beaten hardly anyone of merit. Not saying winning in and of itself isn't impressive at Duke, because it is, but I would certainly like seeing Elko coach another season or two before I have a strong opinion on whether or not he'd be a problem at a rival.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't disagree entirely, but one of the rickys ( @Ricky's one-hitter or @Rickylovesweed ) did a good job of pointing out that Elko's Duke teams haven't beaten hardly anyone of merit. Not saying winning in and of itself isn't impressive at Duke, because it is, but I would certainly like seeing Elko coach another season or two before I have a strong opinion on whether or not he'd be a problem at a rival.

the only reason i tend to disagree slightly with this aint played nobody pawl idea is because of how truly bad their program was in the 5/10 years before Elko was there

• 5 year avg was 6-6, 49 win% - they won 10 total ACC games in the 5 years before Elko was there
  • 10 year avg was 5-7, 41% avg, their 10 year avg was 2.9 ACC wins / season

last year Elko went 9-4 (they had 10 total wins in the 3 years prior) - he had 5 ACC wins.

this year they are 5-1 and 2-0 in ACC. they had 7 total ACC wins in the last 4 years Cutcliffe was at SEC (7 wins in 34 tries) - Elko has 7 wins in 10 tries over 1.25 conference seasons.

last year they did play a bad schedule - like just outside #100 per FEI. this year they are at #56. idk how they will finish the year but they were not even beating ACC teams historically. dude is actually beating ACC teams now, which is more than could be said before.

i have no clue how close he is with Clawson at Wake now, but they worked together for a LONG time and thats who basically picked him up and elevated him in the first place. Clawson passed up opportunities to leave Wake and i am guessing we see Elko do the same as long as Duke pays him well.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

the only reason i tend to disagree slightly with this aint played nobody pawl idea is because of how truly bad their program was in the 5/10 years before Elko was there

• 5 year avg was 6-6, 49 win% - they won 10 total ACC games in the 5 years before Elko was there
  • 10 year avg was 5-7, 41% avg, their 10 year avg was 2.9 ACC wins / season

last year Elko went 9-4 (they had 10 total wins in the 3 years prior) - he had 5 ACC wins.

this year they are 5-1 and 2-0 in ACC. they had 7 total ACC wins in the last 4 years Cutcliffe was at SEC (7 wins in 34 tries) - Elko has 7 wins in 10 tries over 1.25 conference seasons.

last year they did play a bad schedule - like just outside #100 per FEI. this year they are at #56. idk how they will finish the year but they were not even beating ACC teams historically. dude is actually beating ACC teams now, which is more than could be said before.

i have no clue how close he is with Clawson at Wake now, but they worked together for a LONG time and thats who basically picked him up and elevated him in the first place. Clawson passed up opportunities to leave Wake and i am guessing we see Elko do the same as long as Duke pays him well.

I covered this in my comment that winning in and of itself is impressive at Duke for the implied reasons you wrote out.

I don't know whether Clawson is some sort of mentor or not to Elko, but Elko is 46. He's plenty young for a P5 HC, but he's in the window now. If he passes on something in the next few years, he's still contending with regressing to a historical mean at Duke. See Matt Campbell. Every agent in the sport is pointing at Matt Campbell in this coaching carousel cycle. You'd better fucking love your current job if you're going to pass on taking the reins at a blue blood or near blue blood program. 

The FSU game this weekend might tell us something. If Leonard plays and he's healthy enough to be productive, the outcome of the game tells us something. If Leonard doesn't play, I don't think I'm going to take a lot away from FSU blowing Duke out. The backup QB at Duke is a massive dropoff to Leonard. 

Is there any reality to Elko and ATM in the first place, here? What the fuck are we doing? Elko is closely linked to the Michigan State job, as is Leipold, but who is talking about Elko and ATM besides us morons on this board?

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’d rather make the Charlie Strong mistake than the Matt Campbell mistake, as far as dumbass meathead coaches go.  “Oh no, I wasn’t really equipped to handle the blue blood job!  Oh well, I’ll cry myself to sleep with my 25 million dollars”.  And he still got a decent job like USF even though he was a failure because there’s name recognition once you’ve been a high profile head coach.  Rich Rod and Charlie Weis co-sign.

Meanwhile, Campbell turned down NFL money to live out his days at Iowa State until he gets fired or takes some mediocre lateral move like Illinois or something.  

Strike while the iron is hot, and try not to suck as bad as Charlie Strong.  Two good mantras to live by in the coaching profession. 

Well, I can certainly see myself going that route in one of the infinite alternate universes, I guess. 

From the perspective of a hiring program, what should the takeaways be from the Strong and Herman hirings? We never really discuss it, but there have to be a few. I figure for one, don't hire a guy until you know that he's not artificially elevated by one badass QB. For two, maybe mix in some background checks that go deeper than just talking to references or having lunch with the guy. Not sure beyond that. Maybe conduct an actual search for the best candidate. That seems like it could be helpful.

aggy paying $100 million in buyouts to hire Mike Elko is so perfectly aggy. Elko might be good  but just a reminder these are the teams he's beaten so far. $100 million for this?  
Temple (3-9)
Northwestern (1-11)
North Carolina A&T (7-4)
Virginia (3-7)
Miami (5-7)
Boston College (3-9)
Virginia Tech (3-8)
Pittsburgh (9-4)
Wake Forest (8-5)
UCF (9-5)
Lafayette (FCS)
Northwestern (3-3)
UCONN (1-5)
NC State (4-3)
Clemson (4-2)

Well, at least he beat Miami, and, wait for it, PLAYED Wake Forest!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Fud said:

Anyone care to do a top ten power ranking of likely A&M decommitments? I was hoping to get to 10, but I'm struggling to determine how to finish out the list

1) Myles Davis

2) Dealyn Evans

3) Terry Bussey

4) Tyanthony Smith

5)

6) Cameron Coleman

7) Gabriel Reliford

'8) Weston Davis

9) Tristan Jernigan

10)

I deleted the name in number five, but I forgot who I had there

Ahfua? He will realize that Seattle is far different in every way than College Station 

Pride? If we can flip one of the UF commits, Napier probably could get him to listen. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Funny thing about this is the same exact point was made in reference to Jimbo. He was beating a bunch of really shitty ACC teams prior to aggy. It was FSU and Clemson, that was it. Everyone else was fucking awful. 

But the ACC is better this year and it won't be a normal "beat a bunch of bums" type year for Duke as we will find out over the next 4 weeks when they play FSU, Louisville, and UNC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Elko is good but not really sold. He's coached a grand total of 1 game so far at Duke against a top-25 team (per the ESPN efficiency rankings) and it's a game Duke lost. 
I think we will find out more over the next 4 weeks when Duke plays 3 more top 25 teams under the same metric. So far Elko has done a really good job of beating mediocre to bad teams. The next 4 weeks will show us if he can beat good teams. 

If you have the misfortune of following Duke football, you’d understand that it takes a damn good coach to win 9 games in Durham…
  • Hook 'Em 2

They have had exactly ONE successful head coach since 1939. RC has been it. I actually respect him as he is by all accounts a pretty good human being. He’s someone I would sit down with and listen to his stories from his coaching career. Jimbo on the other hand is a guy trying to sell you on buying a Maybach and instead what you get is an 85 Cut Dawg up on blocks with no tires and a cracked engine block. That’s what that nine figure contract got the boosters and fans that half fill the Tackle Box. Once he’s gone he’ll get replaced by the next “Big Thing” that’ll take them on the same roller coaster over and over and over. 

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

If you have the misfortune of following Duke football, you’d understand that it takes a damn good coach to win 9 games in Durham…

See I don't really agree. 

Cutcliffe didn't finish well at Duke but during a 6  year stretch at Duke he was averaging like 8 wins a year. But that gets back to my point about the ACC being dogshit until this year. With a decent coach you can produce wins in that conference. 

It's still a bit of a crap shoot but the coach I would be after is DeBoer. 

All this guy does is win. 67-3 at NAIA level, 3-3 (Covid year) at Fresno State, 9-3 at Fresno State, and now 17-2 at Washington. I think he's a much better candidate than the Elko or Traylors of the world. But I know nothing about his buyout or other factors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tejas60 said:

are-you-sure-about-that-the-rock.gif

Yes I’m good with that and he’s a cancer survivor, which at his age, takes a lot to persevere through it when you are approaching 80. He’s just like the rest of us and he’s flawed. At the end of the day I think he’s a good guy and I’d sit and listen to him talk about life or coaching. I feel like he chose poorly in deciding that College Station was where it was at for him. He could’ve stayed in LA and probably won on a grand scale, but Hollywood wasn’t for him. I just don’t have misplaced anger for someone because of who they coached.

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Yes I’m good with that and he’s a cancer survivor, which at his age, takes a lot to persevere through it when you are approaching 80. He’s just like the rest of us and he’s flawed. At the end of the day I think he’s a good guy and I’d sit and listen to him talk about life or coaching. I feel like he chose poorly in deciding that College Station was where it was at for him. He could’ve stayed in LA and probably won on a grand scale, but Hollywood wasn’t for him. I just don’t have misplaced anger for someone because of who they coached.

He was a scumbag. But you can like him. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's still a bit of a crap shoot but the coach I would be after is DeBoer. 

All this guy does is win. 67-3 at NAIA level, 3-3 (Covid year) at Fresno State, 9-3 at Fresno State, and now 17-2 at Washington. I think he's a much better candidate than the Elko or Traylors of the world. But I know nothing about his buyout or other factors. 

I think he’s great, but why would he go to ATM? I assume only the bluest of blue can pull him. UW will match almost any number. 

30 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Ha. Dude, just tell us that you’re related to the guy and we’ll leave you alone. What a hearty load of bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

giphy.gif
  • Like 1

Guys, Richard Ramirez was not a piece of shit serial killer, because he died of cancer. Apparently that’s the qualifier. 

No one thinks Slocum is scum because he coached at aTm. We think he’s scum because he’s done scum bag shit most of his life. I also happen to think loads of coaches are pieces of shit, regardless of if they’ve coached in college station. Brian Kelly? Piece of shit. Urban Meyer? Weapons grade piece of shit. Bob Stoops? Please he wore his fucking visor at night EVERY GAME, plus the dicks. JoPa - Sanctuary City for Kiddie Rape. 

Art Briles was literally an amoral cunt at every single coaching stop he’s ever had since Hamlin. honestly I could probably spend all morning doing this. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think he’s great, but why would he go to ATM? I assume only the bluest of blue can pull him. UW will match almost any number. 

He'd be my pick to try and steal if Sark doesn't work out for whatever reason. But as you stated before it appears Sark is on a collision course for a raise unless he shits the bed down the stretch this season.