Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Fisch has been coaching for 26 years and never been any place longer than 3 years.  Is that considered itinerant?

How else do you expect to go from a coordinator at P. K. Yonge Developmental Research School to a destination college football head coaching job?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The SEC Rant board is saying they think it might be Jonathan Smith or Rhule based on some Liucci comments and saying "out West". 

Doesn't sound like anybody knows. Just guessing. 

Smith would make sense if he wants to stay in a P5 conference and get a big raise.  Not sure OSU can match an offer given their uncertain financial future.  But he's never coached east of the Rockies.  

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Um...

image.png.54d2b6ef0db75a9393e2e2dbb31a2fdc.png

Maybe under-remembered. 

Oh, I don’t know, it may be appropriately remembered. I dare anyone to make the argument that they could sit through a second viewing. 

The Oscars have had some really bad phases, kind of like Texas football. The ‘80’s weren’t kind to either. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Fisch feels like a major roll of the dice based on 1 season. 

1-11, 5-7, and 8-3 in 3 years at Arizona. 

Eh, the shitshow he took over from Sumlin was Colorado/Deion next level rebuild bullshit.  Dude can recruit/utilize $ and is extremely innovative offensively.  Zona didn’t play defense til this year though

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I got head during Russell Crow’s terrible Noah movie and feel that, that is a comparable level of awkwardness to Amadeus.

I got head during “The Darjeeling Limited”, which I had never seen. Wasn’t even watching it, but when I heard Owen start talking it was really awkward since I’ve known him since elementary school.

The Argentine novia wasn’t  paying attention, but it kind of was killing the mood. (I may have muted the TV. Or maybe I changed the channel.)

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fisch would not be great. 

Can we stop this? I assume you mean great for us.

This guy looks about right for what they should be looking for. I'm enjoying watching all this unfold, and I have no dread or much care about who they end up with. 

I would like for them to end up with another disaster, but I have no dread about whoever fills the position. If he makes A&M stronger, good. The games will be better. I'll only be deprived of a measure of Aggie misery. If he sucks, another few years of a great show.

We're not a house of cards or a place that should have any special apprehension about playing the Aggies.

Perhaps my own lack of concern is due to how often they prove that they can't rise above mediocrity. Now cheating doesn't give them any great advantage. Bring 'em on.

ETA: I see Texafornia anticipated me on this one.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Traylor: could be a real issue, would change the culture

Dabo: would be a recruiting witch, national media would love it

Fisch: would not be great for us

...is there an aggy coaching name you haven't reflexively been scared of?

He does sound like a pussy. 

The one thing we will have moving forward that people fail to realize is there will be h2h....so long as we beat them year in and year out they won't have some of the recruiting pitches they were able to use anymore. Especially "SEC"

There's another guy out west.  A guy whose family might have already had enough of the big city and being too far from relatives.  Guy doesn't want to sit in traffic 90 minutes a day and cross three time zones for games.  A 20% pay cut would be effectively be a raise at the new place.  Local media honks already saying he's on the hot seat and he's starting over with a new QB anyway.  Might just say fuck it.  

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There's another guy out west.  A guy whose family might have already had enough of the big city and being too far from relatives.  Guy doesn't want to sit in traffic 90 minutes a day and cross three time zones for games.  A 20% pay cut would be effectively be a raise at the new place.  Local media honks already saying he's on the hot seat and he's starting over with a new QB anyway.  Might just say fuck it.  

Troy Taylor?!?

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The SEC Rant board is saying they think it might be Jonathan Smith or Rhule based on some Liucci comments and saying "out West". 

Doesn't sound like anybody knows. Just guessing. 

i like Rhule but his shine is off. if they hire Jonathan Smith (who would be a fantastic hire btw) they are going to be met with crickets from their fanbase. even Traylor moves the needle for those rubes more than a guy whose gone 7-6, 10-3 and now 8-2 so far at a bad school historically.

i think part of the issue with Smith is that he is has coached exclusively in the PNW and the bigger thing is that he played at Oregon State and started like 40 games at QB there.

8 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Smith would make sense if he wants to stay in a P5 conference and get a big raise.  Not sure OSU can match an offer given their uncertain financial future.  But he's never coached east of the Rockies.  

Interesting point about staying in a P5 conference. 

On the one hand, with a 12 team playoff there will be room for winners of non P5 conferences. OTH, could such a team recruit well enough to have a chance of getting very far?

If Oregon State made the playoff a few years in a row, would that draw players?

I have no idea what the answers are, but it's interesting to ruminate over. It would be ironic if congregating all the strong football schools in five conferences actually make it easier for some of the non P5 schools to build up and compete.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Eh, the shitshow he took over from Sumlin was Colorado/Deion next level rebuild bullshit.  Dude can recruit/utilize $ and is extremely innovative offensively.  Zona didn’t play defense til this year though

Sure and he's still 14-21 at Arizona. I'm not exactly shaking in my boots if its Fisch. 

35 minutes ago, Fud said:

I accidentally made the wife watch the director's cut of this movie. Suffice to say, it was edited for a reason. 

I don't want to turn this into a movie thread, but...

I think most director's cuts are bloated and narcissistic. Apocalypse Redux is a prime example. There is a cult of the director among movie mavens. If only the artist could be unbridled. Bridles are often good. Everybody hates it, but movies must be collaborative efforts.

Kind of like a football program where all must come together to recruit, train, practice, and play! It applies. It really does. Really.

30 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Bobby said on the livestream last night that Lincoln had already thrown himself in as a candidate for the aggy job.  Rod Babers suggested that if Lincoln wanted to leave USC he should go collect millions from the NFL first, and then return to take whatever college job he wanted when/if he failed in the league.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby said on the livestream last night that Lincoln had already thrown himself in as a candidate for the aggy job.  Rod Babers suggested that if Lincoln wanted to leave USC he should go collect millions from the NFL first, and then return to take whatever college job he wanted when/if he failed in the league.

ahh, the Steve Spurrier/Matt Ruhle plan

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't want to turn this into a movie thread, but...

I think most director's cuts are bloated and narcissistic. Apocalypse Redux is a prime example. There is a cult of the director among movie mavens. If only the artist could be unbridled. Bridles are often good. Everybody hates it, but movies must be collaborative efforts.

Kind of like a football program where all must come together to recruit, train, practice, and play! It applies. It really does. Really.

Most directors cuts were just scams to sell more DVDs or weird disinformation campaigns for Zach Snyder

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i like Rhule but his shine is off. if they hire Jonathan Smith (who would be a fantastic hire btw) they are going to be met with crickets from their fanbase. even Traylor moves the needle for those rubes more than a guy whose gone 7-6, 10-3 and now 8-2 so far at a bad school historically.

i think part of the issue with Smith is that he is has coached exclusively in the PNW and the bigger thing is that he played at Oregon State and started like 40 games at QB there.

Why is the shine off Rhule for you? Becuase he sucked in the NFL? Guy won more games than Scott Frost. I'm not sure I'm looking down on the guy yet as a has been coach. 

I look down on him becuase of his face, his allegeded paint stripping halitosis, and his also alleged naked drunk dialing of other coaches and reporters becuase he gets lonely. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why is the shine off Rhule for you? Becuase he sucked in the NFL? Guy won more games than Scott Frost. I'm not sure I'm looking down on the guy yet as a has been coach. 

I look down on him becuase of his face, his allegeded paint stripping halitosis, and his also alleged naked drunk dialing of other coaches and reporters becuase he gets lonely. 

IMG_6403.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Traylor: could be a real issue, would change the culture

Dabo: would be a recruiting witch, national media would love it

Fisch: would not be great for us

...is there an aggy coaching name you haven't reflexively been scared of?

I’m not scared of anybody. None of my posts imply fear. Challenges maybe, fear no. 

I’m leading the parade if they hire Traylor. Again, he sucks. 

Fisch of those 3 is the strongest coach. Pretty impressive NFL resume. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not scared of anybody. None of my posts imply fear. Challenges maybe, fear no. 

Good coach and verifiable asshole seems like a good long term solution for us. It will just be a matter of time until recruits figure it out like they did with Herman. 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Dabo would fail but there's no shot I think a coach that's 14-21 at Arizona is the "strongest coach" out of those 3. 

It's still 14-21. 

It doesn't matter who aggy gets for the coach. They won't win. It's cultural.

Mostly, the only players willing to go there are the ones looking for a large payout or the ones looking to do whatever the fuck they want (like smoking weed before practice), or both. Why else would any self respecting, highly rated recruit go there? Any coach looking to instill any kind of discipline is going to scare off the 2nd bunch and probably the 1st bunch too. So they'll revert back to their 80+ year history of teams full of JAGs.

There's a reason since the beginning of time why they suck in every sport which relies heavily on African American athletes to win.

It's a hick town full of hicks who hate minorities, except on Saturdays during college football season.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It doesn't matter who aggy gets for the coach. They won't win. It's cultural.

Mostly, the only players willing to go there are the ones looking for a large payout or the ones looking to do whatever the fuck they want (like smoking weed before practice), or both. Why else would any self respecting, highly rated recruit go there? Any coach looking to instill any kind of discipline is going to scare off the 2nd bunch and probably the 1st bunch too. So they'll revert back to their 80+ year history of teams full of JAGs.

There's a reason since the beginning of time why they suck in every sport which relies heavily on African American athletes to win.

It's a hick town full of hicks who hate minorities, except on Saturdays during college football season.

Didn't they recently win a track national title?

I'd love for it to be Fisch. One season of success at the college level that came off a fluke where his rapist QB got hurt and he was forced to put in his better backup and no history of recruiting the state. Dude didn't even know OT timeout rules this year. Seemingly a worse version of Sonny Dykes.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Didn't they recently win a track national title?

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

In 2017. I think that may have been their last national title across the athletic department. 

There were pretty good in women's bball once too. Yea, once in a blue moon, they'll win somethig. But historically, they are a mediocre athletic department with a bright flashes every now. Blind squirrel, nut something something.

Edited by crash_davis

They aren’t going to do another crazy contract, so the person they sign will be good with a much more modest contract than what Jimbo got. That means it will be some smaller name rather than deborr/Dani/ etc. I think traylor just bc he would be relatively cheap and the university can write him a contract that they can walk away from if they want.

7 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I'd love for it to be Fisch. One season of success at the college level that came off a fluke where his rapist QB got hurt and he was forced to put in his better backup and no history of recruiting the state. Dude didn't even know OT timeout rules this year. Seemingly a worse version of Sonny Dykes.

Yeah, I don't get the Fisch love. 

He's 14-22 at Arizona and his defensive ranks per ESPN efficiency are #102, #123, and #53. Maybe the defensive issues would improve with more talent and a better DC. 

I think the Dykes comparison is pretty good. 

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

it wasn't just that he was bad at the NFL level it was how bad he was and how shitty everything i've ever read about him was at the NFL level.

when you have graphics / marketing staff shitting on you for how you handle things you are doing it wrong. everything about him that was a supposed strength went out the window. he made bad hires, bad personnel decisions, little to no player development, and didn't set the team up at all to be successful after he left - see Sunday's game vs the Cowboys as a prime example.

he then went to Nebraska and proceeded to hire almost exclusively from his Temple/Baylor bubble

image.png.16b8d89c140c6c4a1458cc21e579ce4d.png

Raiola was a carryover from the prior staff (only one)

Josh Martin is i guess supposed to be some kind or recruiter? he spent 2 years at Tarleton, then Arizona State as an analyst, then SMU for 4 years, then wasn't kept with Rhett Lashlee so he was the OC/QB Coach at Little Elm for a year. he was hired as an analyst then promoted in July when Bob Wager (long term HC at Arlington Martin) got a DUI and resigned.

Tony White was at Syracuse for 3 years and was mediocre to say the least (best finish was #50 in DFEI then like high 60s and #70 his other year.)

their offense has been truly dreadful (between 115 and 120 per advanced stats)

i don't think he's shit but he also took a huge contract last year and isn't going to dump his people after 1 season there.

plus his record overall, going back to temple, vs anything close to good teams is bad.

hell this year they are 3-2 against teams outside the FEI top 60 and 2-3 against teams inside the top 60.

he may be fine and he will get some time at NEB but i don't think as much of him as i did when he left Baylor because of how he failed with the Panthers and the shitty results so far at Nebraska