Chris Del Conte is a Gigantic Pussy

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

7 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

My point was that we could win national championships in every other sport and it wouldn't matter, because at Texas, football is how the athletic program is judged.

If you don't think so ask yourself if you would trade being average to shitty in every sport, but win the CFP every year.

The vast majority of Texas fans and alumni would make that deal in a second. Shit even CDC would too since it would likely mean even more money pouring into the athletic department.

By fans, yes, but the University is extremely proud of the entire program and all of the student athletes at Texas. Winning that Directors' Cup is a huge deal.

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Director's Cup rankings the 5 years prior to CDC: 

Outside of the top 10, outside of the top 10, 9th, 9th, 7th. 

Director's Cup rankings in the 3 years with CDC (not including the Covid cancellation): 

5th, 4th, 1st. 

1) You have to be a fool to think the athletic department hasn't improved under CDC. The Director's Cup rankings, conference championships, and national titles all prove it. 

2) Why are all the other programs improving and having success while the football program continues to be terrible? I think TwiceHorn, Ricky, and Pancho have all hit the nail on the head. 

3) Eltife hired Sark. Sark is not Del Conte's profile at all as Pancho has explained in this thread numerous times. Would CDC have made a better hire? Who knows because names like Franklin were thrown around so maybe some would have viewed that as a good or bad hire. All I know is that his hires have been a lot better than our football hires. 

4) I still think the roster is an abomination and that almost any coach hired was going to be terrible in the first couple of years. Does that excuse losing to Kansas? Probably not. 

Cool, those programs don’t generate revenue. 

Maybe someone can help me but I'm legitimately curious about a few things:

1) How important was CDC to the SEC stuff? 

2) Maybe he wanted Franklin as the coach?  Any other backup names?

3) How bad (maybe someone in the know can speak to this more clearly) are our BMDs controlling a hire process versus other schools?  Surely this isn't unique to us, but perhaps we simply have bad evaluators at this level?  Just out of touch old men that are either a) happy with how things are even if losing because revenue/their personal power/experiences with the program are fine to them or maybe b) just awful at making hiring decisions even though they want to win?  I mean, when I read that Sark never overcame a halftime deficit in his entire career, that was a very big metric to me that should have almost been a deal breaker.  

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

You’re choosing to be obtuse, and it’s not clear why. 

It doesn’t matter who was hired as Athletics Director, they weren’t going to hire the football coach.  That’s just how it is here.  Now if you want to get mad at that part, then yes, that’s a valid point to be angry at.  But you and Xian keep getting pissed at the wrong person (CDC) for some insane reason that lacks logic.   I get it, y’all are both angry that our program got the 3rd hire in a row wrong and this is now year 11 of wandering the desert.  I’m telling you your anger is warranted, but it’s directed at the wrong people. 

You want to be angry?  Be angry at Eltife and the culture the BMDs/BoR members have set up here which is where they have to show their pride, ego, money, and whatever else in making the football hire instead of letting a competent AD do that himself.  THAT Is where your anger should be.  That line of thinking has gotten us to this point.  It’s that line of thinking that is fucking up this program. 

and it would be one thing if they pulled in same direction. 

but they all have massive egos, and they all have to be right and the other party wrong, and they constantly seek to undermine each other in the process.

what they are undermining is our football program, but they don't give a real fuck about it. they just care about their access and influence.

it's a fucking disaster. i posted elsewhere that the dallas cowboys have one jerry jones with an outsized ego. we have several different alliances of jerry joneses. and they all want to be right and everyone else wrong.

as a result, we don't get a real coaching hire. and really haven't in my lifetime that i can remember.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Like sonny dykes and James Franklin?

I'd love to go back in time and hire Franklin over Charlie and see how things shook out. His time at Penn State might be ending soon and they're sputtering with him but along the way he went 11-2, 9-4, 11-2, 11-3 and won a Big 10 championship. 

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd love to go back in time and hire Franklin over Charlie and see how things shook out. His time at Penn State might be ending soon and they're sputtering with him but along the way he went 11-2, 9-4, 11-2, 11-3 and won a Big 10 championship. 

I was mocked mercilessly for saying we should have hired Franklin over Strong, but that said, whoever followed Mack was going to fail.

I'm curious, with the gate of paying players being opened publicly, the transfer portal being opened, and no salary cap; can the coach/GM just money whip other players away? If that is the case, then with the seemingly bottomless pit of Texas funds can you package a bunch of players (or team) and coaches for a one year national championship team ala LSU? 

6 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I'm curious, with the gate of paying players being opened publicly, the transfer portal being opened, and no salary cap; can the coach/GM just money whip other players away? If that is the case, then with the seemingly bottomless pit of Texas funds can you package a bunch of players (or team) and coaches for a one year national championship team ala LSU? 

That’s not how you win Director’s Cups.

• Haha 2

While I wish CDC didn't spend his time giving parking advice over Twitter, he has crushed his new coaching hires and the overall athletic program is miles over the Dodds/Plonsky administration. 

The problem at Texas is the same as always, BMD that think success in business, law, etc makes them competent to make all the big decisions for Texas Football.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Cool, those programs don’t generate revenue. 

They win. I don't know about you but I like winning. 

Maybe we should try to fix the problem with the football program? You're in this thread bitching about potential CDC hires when he's hired nothing but winners so far while our BMDs and BoR have hired two shit shows in Sarkisian and Herman. 

But hey, let's just keep ignoring that. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

They win. I don't know about you but I like winning. 

Maybe we should try to fix the problem with the football program? You're in this thread bitching about potential Del Conte hires when he's hired nothing but winners so far while our BMDs and BoR have hire two shit shows in Sarkisian and Herman. 

But hey, let's just keep ignoring that. 

The BMD's are shielded from criticism by their anonymity. Mouth breathers just lash out at the only person who they know. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

My point was that we could win national championships in every other sport and it wouldn't matter, because at Texas, football is how the athletic program is judged.

If you don't think so ask yourself if you would trade being average to shitty in every sport, but win the CFP every year.

The vast majority of Texas fans and alumni would make that deal in a second. Shit even CDC would too since it would likely mean even more money pouring into the athletic department.

Not arguing with ya. I'd take a football championship every yr or even every five or ten ( not wanting to be shitty in the other sports though cuz then we would be blowU)

I had this talk with my Dad last year and we discussed are we really better than others, so we should be winning more or does the school/admin/BMDs really care about that or are they just concerned with bringing in more money? Mack had a lot of good years at 10 wins+ plus, but only one championship and everyone really seemed happy as the school was raking in money (more than anybody) under Dodds. Is that really the bottom line? I hope not but it seems it may be that. Kinda Dallas Cowboyish with an owner (our BMDs) that think they know football and want this guy or that guy and are going to get their way, but bottom line is to really just be happy when the seats/stadium is full. Not gonna be me filling them as I want what you and most here do, a Winner. It was quite a dark time from '84-98 and until people quit showing up, looks like it is gonna be that kinda continued shitshow.

Hopefully the basketball team improves under Beard and I can't wait for baseball. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I will start the [BLANK] is a Gigantic Pussy thread if you would like.

You should. We have 10 threads about CDC on this board and I haven't seen one about our BMDs/BoR. 

How they aren't the ones getting blasted for their continual ineptitude with football hires while the other programs are getting hires right is certainly something.  

Edited by texasstrong12

50 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Interestingly, if you look at Franklins record at PSU over the 4 years that coincided with Mensa at Texas (2017-2020)

Franklin:  35-13, three bowl appearances (2-1), finished 2nd twice and 3rd twice in the B10E, final rankings of 8,17,9,-

Herman: 32-18, four bowl appearances (4-0), finished 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd in BigXII, final rankings of -,9,25,19

I would rate Franklin's performance over that time as marginally better than Herman's, who we just fired, but nothing to swoon over, and yet his name still gets mentioned for a lot of jobs.

You have the schools that have been killing it recently: Bama, Clemson, tOSU, OU, & GA. And then you have a shitload of schools that feel entitled to be killing it: Texas, USC, Florida, Mich, Miami, FSU, LSU, Auburn, A&M, ND, PSU, Tenn etc...  There just arent that many REALLY successful coaches, not enough to go around anyway. My guess is the teams that will be killing it 10 years from now will have hired somebody that came out of nowhere and the Dabo's, Riley's, Smart's of the world will be taking a step back. And of course Saban will be 80 and still knockin dicks in the dirt. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

3) How bad (maybe someone in the know can speak to this more clearly) are our BMDs controlling a hire process versus other schools?  Surely this isn't unique to us, but perhaps we simply have bad evaluators at this level?  Just out of touch old men that are either a) happy with how things are even if losing because revenue/their personal power/experiences with the program are fine to them or maybe b) just awful at making hiring decisions even though they want to win?  I mean, when I read that Sark never overcame a halftime deficit in his entire career, that was a very big metric to me that should have almost been a deal breaker.  

These guys are making too much money and have too much pressure on them, not to care if the team wins, of course they care.

You are just having trouble believing that there are people doing this for a living that make decisions this dumb. Yes, they are that dumb.

We need to figure out a way to shine a light on the hiring process - who's involved, what each person's thinking is. If BMDs have huge egos, let's let them be exposed when they do things right and when they do things wrong. Don't want the light? Then you get no voice. 

Maybe a pipe dream, but it might help to have some fucking accountability around the football program.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

You should. We have 10 threads about CDC on this board and I haven't seen one about our BMDs/BoR. 

How they aren't the ones getting blasted for their continual ineptitude with football hires while the other programs are getting hires right is certainly something.  

No one can fire them. 

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I guess I missed it. Enlighten. With details.

I just mean that our issues with meddling BMDs and regents is a long running issue.

I didn't mean for it to sound snarky.

I don't know the details of what goes down with the hiring process. I wish I did. I just know that power and money gets involved and it often leads to a less than optimal hire.

Edited by David Dennison

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

It's widely known that Eltife was running the point on the Sark hire. This is from football scoop (the go to on coaching searches). 

This isn't even inside info. Everyone knows that Eltife hired Sark. 

The Chairman of the Board of Regents shouldn't have a thing to do with hiring a football coach at the University of Texas at Austin or any coach at any school in the University of Texas system. That's not what they are appointed by the governor to do.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The Chairman of the Board of Regents shouldn't have a thing to do with hiring a football coach at the University of Texas at Austin or any coach at any school in the University of Texas system. That's not what they are appointed by the governor to do.

Plus, he has no experience making hires in college sports. 

I didn't mind Eltife being involved in the SEC move because of politics and such. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don't know the details of what goes down with the hiring process. I wish I did. I just know that power and money gets involved and it often leads to a less than optimal hire.

This. I want to know details. I want to know Eltife's rationale. I want him to explain his decision-making involving such a big hire. I want some accountability from that individual. Certainly if he feels best qualified to lead the search, he can explain to we lay people exactly what he thought process was.

Maybe a banner at the KSU game: "Eltife Stay Out Of Football Hiring". Let the whole stadium see it.

• Drool 1

46 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I just mean that our issues with meddling BMDs and regents is a long running issue.

I didn't mean for it to sound snarky.

It’s a double edge sword though, it’s a good problem and a bad problem to have…..   To most schools, they wish they had that issue.  How Texas athletics is still making the money they do is kinda mind boggling.  

Edited by Hook1997

10 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s a double edge sword though, it’s a good problem and a bad problem to have…..   To most schools, they wish they that issue.  How Texas athletics is still making the money they do is kinda mind boggling.  

We should study how Ohio state does their hiring process for head coaches. They rarely miss 

On 11/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, 89Horn said:

Somewhere, Greg Fenves is smiling.  His work has been completed.  We are now peer to Stanford and Cal.

No shit.  I’m so pleased the ALL our athletics are equal!  BS!  

Football Drives the bus.  Only a dumb ass administration does this shit.

Quit bitching about football if you agree the Plonsky should not be removed.

Money talks BS walks.

If any one sport or sports take from football then fire who let it happen.

Quit hamstring THE Revenue Machine in college sports at our University!

Damn asses!