Who Are The Best High School Football Players You Have Seen Personally?

Vic Mackey

Rodderick Muckleroy (Hallsville).   Excelled at UT.

Kendrick Muckleroy (Rodderick's older brother. IMO was a better athlete than Rodderick but did not have the grades.  He was always as fast as he needed to be and could change direction in mid-air.)

Josh Cochran (Hallsville). Crushed people all of the time.  Unfortunately he had a bum shoulder that never allowed him to develop proper upper body strength.  Great footwork though.  Started as a true freshman at Texas but retired before finishing his eligibility due to injuries.  Now on Mack Brown's staff at UNC.

LaMichael James (Liberty Eylau)  Quick and fast.  Had a great career at Oregon.

Adrian Petersen (Palestine).  We all know about him.

Patrick Mahomes (Whitehouse)  My son played against him for 6 years.  Saw the progression.

KD Cannon (Mt. Pleasant).  He made some freaky catches.  Had a good career at Baylor.  Thought he would do more.

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Ced Benson, Shaud Williams and Bubba Franks. If you can't figure out from that list that I grew up in West Texas, not sure what to tell you.

Hah, Shaud Williams from Andrews. Back in my day Andrews had a QB named Keith Brooks who was the USA Today athlete of the year; guy was phenomenal. He went to SMU and ended up playing safety for the death penalty-enducing Ponies...

Edited by Ignatius

I saw Dominic Rhoades (Abilene Cooper) in a playoff game once against Amarillo High.  He was running all over the place, breaking 11 tackles on the way to the end zone almost every time he touched the ball, it was unreal.  The people beside us in the stands were talking about some rumor that he was inbred.  Whatever he was, he was a beast on the field.

Ramonce Taylor.  Maybe I'm partial because I'm from Belton, but the couple times I saw him play in high school, I remember thinking I had never seen a high school kid move with the fluidity that he did.  He was fun to watch.  Glad he ended up at Texas, but I think he could have done a lot more here, maybe in the NFL, if he had his head on straight back then.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Fred Smith from sealy, same town Eric Dickerson is from. Eric is a top 3 or 4 all time leading rusher in the NFL but #2 in sealy all time.

Fred loved to steal stuff though.

This reminds me of a high school story.

There was a thief on our team stealing items, mostly money, from the locker room.

No one knew who it was. One day I was called into the coaches office. He gave me a $100 bill to place in my locker as bait. It worked. Caught the guy that afternoon trying to take it. I was scared!!

1 hour ago, J-Mart said:

Ramonce Taylor.  Maybe I'm partial because I'm from Belton, but the couple times I saw him play in high school, I remember thinking I had never seen a high school kid move with the fluidity that he did.  He was fun to watch.  Glad he ended up at Texas, but I think he could have done a lot more here, maybe in the NFL, if he had his head on straight back then.

Ramonce as a freshman was more explosive than Jamaal Charles as freshman on the same team, and that’s no slight on Jamaal. RT could have had his number retired at UT if he’d kept his head screwed on...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Saw both Allen Iverson (in person) and Michael Vick (local TV).  Quicksilver ... both were incredible athletes very young.

Forgot one .. Ronald Curry, who went on to play football and basketball at UNC, then had a decent NFL career with the Raiders.  Currently, he’s WR coach for the Saints.

Virginia Tidewater area has produced a ton of talent.

17 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Is there any video of Casey Hampton playing MLB in high school? I remember seeing a highlight tape one time that was hilarious but I don’t see it on the intertrons no more. 

Shared it in the craps thread, possibly on TOS, but I played craps with Hampton at L’Auberge in Lake Chuck one night.  Dude was not tall at all, but was just freaking built like a dumptruck, and I mean that in the most complimentary way.  I just kept looking at him, knowing how well he played not just in college but also for the Steelers; and thinking, ‘Damn he ain’t THAT big...’

FTR, he was very nice and didn’t come off as an ass like some of those guys can. 

I graduated from Whitehouse in 96 and we were usually pretty shitty. Good football played in East Texas though. I haven’t been to a high school game since 2003 but a few players stood out:

Rickey Dudley (TE/Henderson) - First elite player I ever saw when I was still in middle school. Went to tOSU and first round pick. Probably could have played college basketball too.

McCown brothers (QB/Jacksonville) - Best QB’s in our little area I ever saw live

Damione Lewis (DT/Sulphur Springs) - Played at Miami (Fl) and first round pick. Nearly decapitated one of my friends on a blind side block on a punt return. My friend actually bounced up and walked towards the wrong end of the field before his dad ran out of the stands to stop him. To this day, I think he still has a concussion.

Ja’mar Toombs (RB/Pine Tree) - He was just a sophomore when I was a senior but I remember him seeking out our DB’s and our guys were running away from him. Pretty sure he had 300+ that night.

Brandon Pettigrew (TE/Tyler Lee) - I grew up with and around a lot of the Pettigrews. Several of them probably could have gone further than they did...

Adrian Peterson - last high school game I attended. Whitehouse might have had 30 guys on the entire roster. Held him to 189 yards and three TD’s in the first half.

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Forgot one .. Ronald Curry, who went on to play football and basketball at UNC, then had a decent NFL career with the Raiders.  Currently, he’s WR coach for the Saints.

Virginia Tidewater area has produced a ton of talent.

Insane the amount of kids this little peninsula sends to the league 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Don't go to many high school games, but went to the 2003 5A State championship game at Rice.

Bobby Reid and North Shore dominated the Woodlands.  Danny Amendola was on that Woodlands team.

Who was the running back for those Woodlands teams? I recall him going to play baseball at here or Rice?

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who was the running back for those Woodlands teams? I recall him going to play baseball at here or Rice?

Samson Taylor was highly touted. Went to aggy though.

Kyle Drabek, son of Doug Drabek, was a WR a few years later and also was very good at football, even though he was a better pitcher.

Edited by slorch

31 minutes ago, slorch said:

Samson Taylor was highly touted. Went to aggy though.

Kyle Drabek, son of Doug Drabek, was a WR a few years later and also was very good at football, even though he was a better pitcher.

I’m a complete dumbass. I confused mid 2000s Woodlands with Southlake Carroll

The guy I was thinking of was Aaron Luna

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m a complete dumbass. I confused mid 2000s Woodlands with Southlake Carroll

The guy I was thinking of was Aaron Luna

That is still a great name from the past though.  People always want to talk about the quarterbacks and the OL, but Luna was very important player for them in the mid-ought’s

On 10/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, Greg Davis Apologist said:

I graduated from Whitehouse in 96 and we were usually pretty shitty. Good football played in East Texas though. I haven’t been to a high school game since 2003 but a few players stood out:

Rickey Dudley (TE/Henderson) - First elite player I ever saw when I was still in middle school. Went to tOSU and first round pick. Probably could have played college basketball too.

Dudley went to OSU on a basketball scholarship

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, CooterBrown said:

Robert Strait. Carried the ball 54 of 56 plays against us. The other two were Fumbled snaps. He also kicked off with nearly every kick sailing out of the end zone. He won district in five events...the 100, HJ, LJ, SP, and anchored the 4x100.

Bombed out at Baylor and went to prison for dealing crack.

I did not know that.

Mark McBath.  That's all I got.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:54 AM, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Adrian Peterson - last high school game I attended. Whitehouse might have had 30 guys on the entire roster. Held him to 189 yards and three TD’s in the first half.

Damn, I was a sophomore on that team. Playing against a senior Adrian Peterson really sucked. That was a dark season under Buddy Ray (his last year at Whitehouse).

After Peterson, the best guys I remember playing were Eddie Jones of Kilgore and Roderick Muckelroy of Hallsville.

• Like 1

Damn, I was a sophomore on that team. Playing against a senior Adrian Peterson really sucked. That was a dark season under Buddy Ray (his last year at Whitehouse).
After Peterson, the best guys I remember playing were Eddie Jones of Kilgore and Roderick Muckelroy of Hallsville.

Was I pretty accurate about how small the roster was? I do remember one undersized white kid tackling Peterson in the open field for a loss or very short gain. He’s probably still talking about it today...

57 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Was I pretty accurate about how small the roster was? I do remember one undersized white kid tackling Peterson in the open field for a loss or very short gain. He’s probably still talking about it today...

Yes. Buddy had run off most of the program by that point. 

Dwayne Orr was a beast for our high school.  John Walker from Killeen was unstoppable. Gained about 100 yards in the first quarter.  

Mark Murdock from Westwood had golden arm.  Strangest game ....watched Rod Bernstein play..regular season game at Kyle Field.  

I think weather may have been a factor. Or maybe Bryan shared grass field with College Station?

I am 5 years younger than Earl Campbell, I got to watch him do two things at John Tyler, first was he stopped a possible race riot brewing in Tyler, second become the best RB in the history of Texas High School football. He was a big fast angry beast when he got the ball, any LB that got in his way fell down in fear or got plowed like a truck over a squirrel. In the State playoffs I watched Earl mow over the Plano East defense heading to the end zone, an 170 pound DB caught up with him at at the 10 yard line, he jumped on Earl's back but never could bring him down, Earl stormed into the end zone and leaned over to let the little fellow get off his back.

1 hour ago, Rabidhorn said:

I am 5 years younger than Earl Campbell, I got to watch him do two things at John Tyler, first was he stopped a possible race riot brewing in Tyler, second become the best RB in the history of Texas High School football. He was a big fast angry beast when he got the ball, any LB that got in his way fell down in fear or got plowed like a truck over a squirrel. In the State playoffs I watched Earl mow over the Plano East defense heading to the end zone, an 170 pound DB caught up with him at at the 10 yard line, he jumped on Earl's back but never could bring him down, Earl stormed into the end zone and leaned over to let the little fellow get off his back.

Earl is related to some family of my best friend. They all grew up in Tyler and went to John Tyler. Many of them saw Earl play in high school and to this day, still say that is the best all around player they have seen at any position in all their years. And many of them still travel all over the state to watch games.

• Like 1