Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Man.

Y’all are out Alabama-ing Alabama lately.

Welcome to the SEC!!

At least at one point you had Doug Jones for 3 full years. 

Edited by Js1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:42 PM, JimmyJames said:

Yeah but his self ownage was highly entertaining. It’s why opposed his crowd banning here. To no avail.

Whenever he would throw down the usual Swam argument thinking it would finally work and then the pile on would occur with someone posting the Swam gif never failed to crack me up.

bmdYkt.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Way to go, Willie!  If anybody gets a leak or twitter or whatever about what time he's playing...would love for the kids to see him outdoors one time in their lives.  I'm not gonna drag 'em out to four hours in the heat to listen to speeches, but would take them for Willie.

Also, I hope somebody told the organizers of this event that Gov. Abbott will not be able to see/hear the rally.  He will be at neither his Capitol Office nor the Mansion across the street.  He'll be at the Kalahari Water Park in Round Rock for much of Saturday doing a bit of fundraising but mainly hosting a "digital summit" where he and his crack squad will be discussing everything from training social media soldiers for the fight ahead, to taking on Big Tech in Texas, to astroturf efforts to combat what you don't like in your schools (masks, CRT, etc.).  I'm not kidding.  There are two things I don't joke about Indoor Water Parks and the Mentally Retarded.  What a vendiagram it'll be on Saturday in Round Rock.  

So this new measure to allow DPS/local police to pullover cars they suspect of having undocumented immigrants...as a demonstration of how idiotic, nevermind unAmerican, this idea is.  

Can y'all who are prevalent on social media (lotsa followers), float out this idea for the next week or so.  

Tens of thousands of Austin drivers use that acryllic/water based (whatever the fuck it's called) paint for car windows.  And thousands, maybe tens of thousands of us, paint on our windows, "Migrants Inside Vehicle" or "Undocumented Inside Car" or something like that? 

And we drive our usual routes, maybe make it a point to drive by the mansion, the Capitol, etc.  Kind of a play on the bowler hat in "Thomas Crown Affair"----- I mean, they can't pull over everybody, can they?  No law says you can't paint messages on your windows, of every high school senior would be in jail. And obviously, if they search your car to fuck with you...make sure you're not holding.  

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Whenever he would throw down the usual Swam argument thinking it would finally work and then the pile on would occur with someone posting the Swam gif never failed to crack me up.

bmdYkt.gif

That was always my favorite gif from the shag. It was just perfection.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Man.

Y’all are out Alabama-ing Alabama lately.

Welcome to the SEC!!

The thing with Alabama is, we are Old Dumb, like Old Money, but with less money and way more dumb. Anyway, we know how to handle it, like the old alcoholic that you can't tell he drank a fifth of vodka for breakfast. Yeah he's a drunk but he's fairly predictable.

Texas is a fast-growth state compared to, well, everybody. They may have their regular Old Dumb that normally they could keep in check, but what also happens, is everyday, all over the country, the craziest village idiot buys a cowboy hat and moves to Texas.

It's a constant onslaught for Texans, all these new morons trying to prove how hur-dur-huRRR they are, and of course they vote for some spiteful crazy bastard in a cowboy hat that they see as their ideal. It's a shock to the system and any state would have a problem dealing with it. To use my old drunk analogy, imagine him trying to sip his breakfast vodka while Abbott jabs heroin in his ass-crack and Goeb sets his shoes on fire. It's all loud and crazy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

The March to the Capitol is having Willie Nelson play on Saturday if people still like hearing him /ducks

After listening to him in the new Titty Bingo music videos...I won't pass up a chance to see him, but he's showing his age finally.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

After listening to him in the new Titty Bingo music videos...I won't pass up a chance to see him, but he's showing his age finally.

I believe that Willie hung the fucking moon but he's been showing his age for more than a few years now -- and you know what, it don't make a shit. We saw him several July 4th's ago in Dallas and he was having a hard time getting through his songs alone. Lukas was there, though, and it's uncanny how much he sounds like his dad.

• Hook 'Em 5

I've been looking at the hospital data on the dashboard, and Abbott is nuts and very despotic. Several regions are near the  15% threshold and one is over. Region N has no ICU beds available. Even if the strategy was 'I want to be able to use this against the Democratic administration for political fodder because it occurred on their watch,' it shows the further normalizing of death and despair for political ends. Very fashy. (Do nothing, do nothing, do nothing--people suffer--oh, look, what has happened it's the migrant's fault you're suffering, only I can fix this....)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I believe that Willie hung the fucking moon but he's been showing his age for more than a few years now -- and you know what, it don't make a shit. We saw him several July 4th's ago in Dallas and he was having a hard time getting through his songs alone. Lukas was there, though, and it's uncanny how much he sounds like his dad.

Yeah, I've seen him 4 or 5 times since starting around 2000 and he's been going downhill a little bit every show.  The last time a I saw him a few years ago, he wasn't really singing anymore, just kind of talking through the songs.

Covid hospitalization, ICU, and ventilator data in Travis, Williamson, Hays, Bastrop and Caldwell counties.  We're likely to get close to or even hit earlier peaks, and that's WITH a significant fraction of our population having been vaccinated or previously infected.  Delta is a bitch.

image.png.44c5097ce2d538491c85953dada60ea4.png

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've been looking at the hospital data on the dashboard, and Abbott is nuts and very despotic. Several regions are near the  15% threshold and one is over. Region N has no ICU beds available. Even if the strategy was 'I want to be able to use this against the Democratic administration for political fodder because it occurred on their watch,' it shows the further normalizing of death and despair for political ends. Very fashy. (Do nothing, do nothing, do nothing--people suffer--oh, look, what has happened it's the migrant's fault you're suffering, only I can fix this....)

Yeah this coincidentally came down when Galveston hit 15%. 

Shocking. 

16 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The thing with Alabama is, we are Old Dumb, like Old Money, but with less money and way more dumb. Anyway, we know how to handle it, like the old alcoholic that you can't tell he drank a fifth of vodka for breakfast. Yeah he's a drunk but he's fairly predictable.

Texas is a fast-growth state compared to, well, everybody. They may have their regular Old Dumb that normally they could keep in check, but what also happens, is everyday, all over the country, the craziest village idiot buys a cowboy hat and moves to Texas.

It's a constant onslaught for Texans, all these new morons trying to prove how hur-dur-huRRR they are, and of course they vote for some spiteful crazy bastard in a cowboy hat that they see as their ideal. It's a shock to the system and any state would have a problem dealing with it. To use my old drunk analogy, imagine him trying to sip his breakfast vodka while Abbott jabs heroin in his ass-crack and Goeb sets his shoes on fire. It's all loud and crazy.

I think I read you express that you are not a writer.  I just wanted to say I would read a book of your posts.  Vonnegut mixed with Steinbeck channeled through some mysterious Alabama muse.  

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I think I read you express that you are not a writer.  I just wanted to say I would read a book of your posts.  Vonnegut mixed with Steinbeck channeled through some mysterious Alabama muse.  

Thank you sir. Truth is I keep my idiot-savant stepson chained in the basement, and HE writes a lot. I occasionally plagiarize his thoughts. On your behalf I will toss him an extra banana today, after I go down there to blast him with the hose.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

As COVID Delta spreads across Texas, Abbott promises no health mandates are forthcoming.

No other Republican is gonna out wing nut him!

Have you seen Ron DeSantis? 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Satchel said:

As COVID Delta spreads across Texas, Abbott promises no health mandates are forthcoming.

No other Republican is gonna out wing nut him!

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Have you seen Ron DeSantis? 

I'm waiting for one of them to say we should start forcing everybody to get covid so we can get herd immunity faster.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Kemp is going to be primaried and good chance he loses after all the Election hate that got thrown his way

Maybe so, but Georgia has bigger shenanigans afoot with that new law and taking over county election boards as a result. It’s off topic and I haven’t followed it closely during the Olympics going on right now, but it bears strict scrutiny for sure. I think Fulton county was one they were aiming to get due to it going very high for Biden. 

I wasn't exactly sure where to place this article about the two-year anniversary of the El Paso shooting. Figured this is as good as any other place -- especially considering this all happened under Abbott's watch along with the broken promises -- but it could've easily been placed in the right wing violence thread, the capitol riot thread, a gun control thread, or even active shooter thread. It all sucks and is just disgusting that there are common threads woven through all of them.

Happy reading.

Two years after Walmart mass shooting, El Paso leaders see inaction and betrayal by Texas officials
In what some people call an affront to the families of the 2019 shooting victims, Texas Republicans expanded gun rights earlier this year when the state Legislature passed a permitless carry bill.

Days before its official unveiling on Tuesday, El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego walked through the healing garden planted to honor the victims of the 2019 Walmart mass shooting.

Since the hate crime that took the lives of 23 people and left dozens more injured, Samaniego has been involved in every painstaking detail of the garden. This includes the shape — “circular, like a hug,” 23 Italian cypress trees planted by family members of the victims, and the fountains with calming cascades of water.

“The sound of water always gives us a sense of healing,” said Samaniego, a mental health therapist, who hopes the garden will honor lives lost and give people the strength to move forward. “They should never die in vain. ‘What is it I could do to make things more transformational?’”

Two years later, as El Pasoans remember the victims, they’re also reminded of the broken promises made by top leadership in Texas in the wake of the shooting. The alleged gunman from North Texas drove 10 hours to El Paso to, in his own words posted on a racist online platform, “stop the Hispanic invasion of Texas.”

The initial reaction from some Republican leaders in Texas was sympathy and concern.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott immediately called for safety commission roundtable discussions in El Paso to “generate ideas to combat the rise of extremist groups and hateful ideologies, keep guns out of the hands of deranged individuals and combat domestic terrorism in Texas” according to a press release his office issued weeks after the shooting.

At a safety commission meeting in Austin in late August 2019, Abbott said he was committed to “action and results.”

Cont'd

EDIT: I'm going to add, because it's worth reading further and mentioning here, that the article goes on to mention that the "invasion" language that Abbott and Patrick are currently using is the same as what inspired the piece of shit Dallas suburbanite to drive across the state and kill a bunch of Mexicans.

So, not only was there no "action and results" but they're continuing to stoke the fears that will likely end in more targeted violence at Brown people.  

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3