Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

At a safety commission meeting in Austin in late August 2019, Abbott said he was committed to “action and results.”

In all fairness to Abbott, he probably assumed that more people having guns was the answer.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:25 AM, miguelito said:

So now he's concerned about covid?

Only dirty Mexicans/Salvadorans/Hondurans/Guatemalans.

If you're white, feel free not to wear a mask or social distance.  Special exemption for Latin Americans that voted for Trump.

AUSTIN — Gov. Greg Abbott called a second special session for Saturday with an even more expansive agenda that includes the contentious elections bill Democrats fled the state to protest and hot-button social issues, such as transgender sports.

The Republican governor is also asking the Legislature to reconsider its own rules that require a certain number of lawmakers be present to debate bills. House Democrats foiled Abbott’s first special session by leaving en masse for Washington D.C. and depriving the chamber of enough representatives to consider legislation.

Yet it is unclear whether Democrats will even show up on Saturday, leaving the fate of the session in limbo…

…Other items on his 17-issue agenda include addressing “border security”, overhauling the state’s bail system and further restricting abortion inducing drugs. The transgender sports bill would require trans student athletes to play only on teams that match the sex on their original birth certificate.

The highly partisan agenda is largely favored by Republican lawmakers who control the Legislature and the GOP primary voters they are courting. Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and every member of the House and Senate are up for re-election in 2022

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So are cruising towards topping the second wave, but Greg is making sure that everybody knows that he's a patriot!

And yes, the comments are brutal.  Lots of replacing "RED" with "DEAD"

"Patriots" is doing a lot of work in this tweet.

47 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I’d lay odds on it .  In fact I bet hot wheels is the only one vaccinated in that picture.

Maybe one or two others - not all of them look like their parents were related before marriage.

I wish we knew who the people were in the photo - I'd like to revisit this in a month and see how many of them are still with us, or at least not in a hospital.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So are cruising towards topping the second wave, but Greg is making sure that everybody knows that he's a patriot!

And yes, the comments are brutal.  Lots of replacing "RED" with "DEAD"

he was at the ufc in houston last night 

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m sure the colors have been the same for a century or more, but I’ve found it very fitting that GOP has red as ‘their’ color.  Red is always the bad guys in a movie or associated with communists.  

Surprisingly a recent phenomenon 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states#Contemporary_use

• Hook 'Em 1

It has become very clear that the GOP complaining about the DOE was really about trying to wrestle control and hold public school parents hostage.  Education needs to be stripped from the state and funded by the Fed.  

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It has become very clear that the GOP complaining about the DOE was really about trying to wrestle control and hold public school parents hostage.  Education needs to be stripped from the state and funded by the Fed.  

How quickly we forget...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmmdAFhUsfSkyd8TECpZN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I respectfully disagree on this.  If we were to turn over funding to the Federal Government, via the Dept. of Education...no states would just turn off their property tax spigots.  

I like that poor, stupid states stay poor and stupid.  The kids will rise up 'Children of the Corn' style and show their parents what's up.  

11 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So I just got a call from DISD that all students/staff will be required to wear masks.  Looks like DISD is taking on Abbott.  I'm glad someone around here has some sense. 

HISD also is 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I respectfully disagree on this.  If we were to turn over funding to the Federal Government, via the Dept. of Education...no states would just turn off their property tax spigots.  

I like that poor, stupid states stay poor and stupid.  The kids will rise up 'Children of the Corn' style and show their parents what's up.  

Just require that property tax be paid to the feds.  

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

How quickly we forget...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmmdAFhUsfSkyd8TECpZN

There are ways to mitigate that.  Tie the funding as some guaranteed percentage and then tie addition funding as some percentage of the total military expenditure.   Make the political role a figurehead position instead of one with real power.  

I wonder what other school districts will do. My kids are in HPISD. There is a group of nutter parents (Park Cities Parents Unite) -- some are not overtly political but are being used as 'useful idiots' by those who are alt-right, Christian shit-heads and then of course you have quite a few over-privileged, myopic/selfish assholes -- who are vehemently opposed to all masks and other measures that "get in the way of Junior's standard of learning." Or somesuch. They were anti-mask ALL YEAR and were very vocal about it. Some dipshit freshman in my daughter's class was apparently repeatedly sent home from school for openly refusing to wear the mandated mask. His parents made a big spectacle of it and they very obviously put him up to it. Oh, then they filed a lawsuit against the district.

Well, things were looking so great for Texas in the first week of June that HPISD very openly dropped the mask mandate and said (I believe) there would be no mask mandate when school started in the fall. Well, here we are in the fall and I wonder if they can get the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. It's gonna be a shit-show if they try and reinstitute the mandatory mask rules.

The only positive is that the vax rate of those eligible to get it in HP/UP is in the mid-70's at this point.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I wonder what other school districts will do. My kids are in HPISD. There is a group of nutter parents (Park Cities Parents Unite) -- some are not overtly political but are being used as 'useful idiots' by those who are alt-right, Christian shit-heads and then of course you have quite a few over-privileged, myopic/selfish assholes -- who are vehemently opposed to all masks and other measures that "get in the way of Junior's standard of learning." Or somesuch. They were anti-mask ALL YEAR and were very vocal about it. Some dipshit freshman in my daughter's class was apparently repeatedly sent home from school for openly refusing to wear the mandated mask. His parents made a big spectacle of it and they very obviously put him up to it. Oh, then they filed a lawsuit against the district.

Well, things were looking so great for Texas in the first week of June that HPISD very openly dropped the mask mandate and said (I believe) there would be no mask mandate when school started in the fall. Well, here we are in the fall and I wonder if they can get the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. It's gonna be a shit-show if they try and reinstitute the mandatory mask rules.

The only positive is that the vax rate of those eligible to get it in HP/UP is in the mid-70's at this point.

rich dumb is the worst dumb

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

rich dumb is the worst dumb

You got that right.  

So I heard that DISD's superintendent was on a public conference call this morning basically daring Abbott to come after him.  Which makes me think DISD's attorneys have advised him he's on pretty solid legal ground.  If Houston and Austin follow suit, this is going to be fantastic come election season:  "Abbott, he freezes/cooks/covids adult Texans to death and is the enemy of Texas children."  

Gonna make for some great ads.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

You don’t realize that this is something the Abbott campaign would use to solidify his base.

Yeah unfortunately his pandering is a feature not a bug.  I am hearing  that open meetings is going to get suspended again (it was expiring September 1). So they know it’s a shit show but are unwilling to publicly say it.  Instead they’ll make stupid proclamations the issue policy quietly.

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

If Houston and Austin follow suit, this is going to be fantastic come election season:  "Abbott, he freezes/cooks/covids adult Texans to death and is the enemy of Texas children."  

Gonna make for some great ads.

Yeah, but those are going to be his own ads.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1