Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

31 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Half of nursing home employees are unvaccinated?? Jesus what a colossal failure 

I said that last night when something similar was said on Channel 5 Dallas last night. I looked at my wife and said, "How the fuck do they still have jobs?!?!?!"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Half of nursing home employees are unvaccinated?? Jesus what a colossal failure 

Literally the very first thing I would ask when choosing a nursing home for a loved one is "are all of your staff vaccinated."

Incidentally, there are going to be some very interesting lawsuits coming out of this.  I am almost certain that the standard of care requires that nursing-home employees be vaccinated for all manner of things.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Literally the very first thing I would ask when choosing a nursing home for a loved one is "are all of your staff vaccinated."

Incidentally, there are going to be some very interesting lawsuits coming out of this.  I am almost certain that the standard of care requires that nursing-home employees be vaccinated for all manner of things.

I still have family and in-laws that won't take up residence in a nursing home that allows certain minorities or religious persuasions.  Even though half the staff violate that requirement.  But apparently they could give fuck one about the vaccination requirements of the staff/new residents.  

29 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

You don't usually go to work in a nursing home if you're a smart, capable, BSN educated nurse. And if you do, it's not for long because it's probably the shittiest job in nursing. Sorry.

Ok, but let's be real honest--the vaccination rate for nurses generally is shockingly low.  There's an ANA study that says that more than 80% of nurses have been vaccinated, but there was an AMA study that put it down around 50%.  Either way, that's a helluva lot lower than the 96% (or higher) for doctors.

That seems to be cross-cultural, too.  There's a similar study from Hong Kong showing high resistance to vaccination among nurses.  And just anecdotally, when I was in Zambia last month and was talking to our guide, he joked about nurses being very poor judges as to their own health decisions.  According to him, it is a stereotype in Zambia that all nurses are HIV+ because of their refusal to practice safe sex.

So yeah--there's some work to do with nurses, regardless of where they work.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Let me spare you the suspense.

They will all lose. If they file, which they shouldn’t. And then have to pay the other sides astronomical attorneys fees as a nice touch. Bankrupting the plaintiffs. 

Guess you didn’t hear. The lege and abbot took care of all that last session right quick. Even made it all retroactive. Unless of course the Texas Supreme Court says that was unconstitutional. Uh huh. Sure. 

Least surprising thing that ever happened. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Let me spare you the suspense.

They will all lose. If they file, which they shouldn’t. And then have to pay the other sides astronomical attorneys fees as a nice touch. Bankrupting the plaintiffs. 

Guess you didn’t hear. The lege and abbot took care of all that last session right quick. Even made it all retroactive. Unless of course the Texas Supreme Court says that was unconstitutional. Uh huh. Sure. 

Least surprising thing that ever happened. 

I did not.  What's the bill number?

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Ok, but let's be real honest--the vaccination rate for nurses generally is shockingly low.  There's an ANA study that says that more than 80% of nurses have been vaccinated, but there was an AMA study that put it down around 50%.  Either way, that's a helluva lot lower than the 96% (or higher) for doctors.

That seems to be cross-cultural, too.  There's a similar study from Hong Kong showing high resistance to vaccination among nurses.  And just anecdotally, when I was in Zambia last month and was talking to our guide, he joked about nurses being very poor judges as to their own health decisions.  According to him, it is a stereotype in Zambia that all nurses are HIV+ because of their refusal to practice safe sex.

Oh for sure! Believe me, I know. I'm in a pretty intense Facebook feud with a co-worker over her bullshit. But I feel like you are much likelier to encounter them in the nursing home setting.

Could also be that I'm just a judgemental bitch. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

At least all the ones I have seen are requiring masks.  My mom is in assisted living.  I have to mask up and do temp checks to go see her, but at least I can go see her at this place.  I always look at the sign in sheet and am aghast at how many people visiting their elderly loved ones aren't vaccinated.  It is what it is.  I'm basically on the @Brisketexan train of doom, but as a Houston/Austin transplant to east Texas, I've felt this way about a large percent of my local population since about 2003 or so.  That is to say that I've been in the acceptance phase for nearly two decades.  YMMV

Abbott proudly announces that TXDOT is diverting $25 million from its transportation budget to….build a segment of border wall.

Because when I’m dealing with deteriorating roads and bridges, nothing will comfort me more than the knowledge that instead of spending money on THOSE things, we spent the money on Abbott kowtowing to deranged Trumpkins.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I did not.  What's the bill number?

It’s draconian. If you can’t meet the likely impossible burdens the law Imposes, you get to pay the exorbitant attorney fees the defense may incur. It’s a death sentence to all Covid claims.   

1 hour ago, tchookem said:

This thought occurs to me as well, but then I realize that Perry would be doing the same (or worse) shit in the MAGA wasteland.

I think Perry would have been better at reading the tea leaves, and he wouldn't have been as afraid of Huffines as Abbott is.

Then again, Perry has functioning legs, and if somebody spilled or dumped water on Huffines and he started spawning new little Huffines from his back, Perry could put some distance between himself and Huffines.  Abbott doesn't have that luxury - stairs or gravel and Abbott is going to to overrun by a bunch of little Huffines.

• Haha 2

I think Perry would have been better at reading the tea leaves, and he wouldn't have been as afraid of Huffines as Abbott is.
Then again, Perry has functioning legs, and if somebody spilled or dumped water on Huffines and he started spawning new little Huffines from his back, Perry could put some distance between himself and Huffines.  Abbott doesn't have that luxury - stairs or gravel and Abbott is going to to overrun by a bunch of little Huffines.
Perry pandered to the Tea Party by mentioning secession... as a response to Obama. I shudder to think how he'd pander to Q as a response to COVID.

Abbott sees this as a fight against librools.  Perry would see this as a chance to show leadership and gain publicity.not deliberately try and shit all over the state and put other Republicans on the defensive.  He would be visiting schools, visiting hospitals, showing empathy/sympathy, etc.  Motherfucker could shake hands, slap backs, and get chummy with folks.

Perry would say "this is why you should vote for me, we are in a pandemic and I'm showing leadership!" while Abbott is spinning in circles yelling "this is why you shouldn't vote for me."

As much as I shit on him, and as many times as his aggyness shined through, he had his weird-as-fuck moments - I remember when Perry and Vincente Fox were pushing for open borders and a shared medical and education system along the Texas/Mexico border in the summer of 2001 (and then 9/11 happened...). Also when he teamed up with George W. Bush, Ted Kennedy, John McCain back around 2006 for a guest worker system proposal, etc.

The fear of Huffines that Abbot has is fucking weird.  Abbott is blowing him away in fundraising and publicity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Perry pandered to the Tea Party by mentioning secession... as a response to Obama. I shudder to think how he'd pander to Q as a response to COVID.

The Tea Party was a legit movement, and those comments were half-joking and half just playing up the Texas identity (we couldn't secede and his chief-of-staff even mentioned that we could only break into 5 states).  

Most of the Q idiots won't be around if Donny is not on the ballot.  If you know any Qanon idiots, go look at their voting records. And Donny's record of support for candidates running in Texas this year hasn't been the best.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott sees this as a fight against librools.  Perry would see this as a chance to show leadership and gain publicity.not deliberately try and shit all over the state and put other Republicans on the defensive.  He would be visiting schools, visiting hospitals, showing empathy/sympathy, etc.  Motherfucker could shake hands, slap backs, and get chummy with folks.

Perry would say "this is why you should vote for me, we are in a pandemic and I'm showing leadership!" while Abbott is spinning in circles yelling "this is why you shouldn't vote for me."

As much as I shit on him, and as many times as his aggyness shined through, he had his weird-as-fuck moments - I remember when Perry and Vincente Fox were pushing for open borders and a shared medical and education system along the Texas/Mexico border in the summer of 2001 (and then 9/11 happened...). Also when he teamed up with George W. Bush, Ted Kennedy, John McCain back around 2006 for a guest worker system proposal, etc.

The fear of Huffines that Abbot has is fucking weird.  Abbott is blowing him away in fundraising and publicity.

You're thinking too small.

Abbott is displaying Presidential idiocy and cruelty on a MAGA scale with his moves.

He knows he has Texas in the bag. This is for 2024.

He's going for the big ole shiny brass ring on Pennsylvania Avenue.

9 hours ago, tchookem said:
9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, you've got to remember that Perry was governor pre-Trump. The rules of engagement have changed completely. Would Perry doing better than Abbott? I think that's debatable. I'd make the trade if it meant we were swapping/dumping Patrick and Paxton at the same time.

I don't think it's just Huffines who Abbott is scared of.  It could be Huffines, it could be any number of "not-Abbott" MAGA/Q alternatives who could get added to the primary ballot between now and then.

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

You're thinking too small.

Abbott is displaying Presidential idiocy and cruelty on a MAGA scale with his moves.

He knows he has Texas in the bag. This is for 2024.

He's going for the big ole shiny brass ring on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Texas is in the bag for (R) for statewide elections for the most part, no question.

But Abbott is pissing off a shitload of people that could hurt the (R) candidates who are down-ballot of the statewide elections in next year's general election.  Abbott is putting state legislature seats in jeopardy, and potentially some of the weaker (R) US Congressional candidates as well.

And his actions this year concerning COVID probably won't play well on the national level in 2024. Lest we forget, Trump lost back in November, with the help of his shit-tastic handing of COVID, and Abbott is not even close to being as charismatic as Trump was, and he won't have a Hillary Clinton running against him.

Abbott is just trying to get through the Republican primary.  

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, you've got to remember that Perry was governor pre-Trump. The rules of engagement have changed completely. Would Perry doing better than Abbott? I think that's debatable. I'd make the trade if it meant we were swapping/dumping Patrick and Paxton at the same time.

I don't think it's just Huffines who Abbott is scared of.  It could be Huffines, it could be any number of "not-Abbott" MAGA/Q alternatives who could get added to the primary ballot between now and then.

I have wondered what Perry would be like as the governor during trump. He was awful then but not on Abbott level currently. We’ll never know. 

I am glad abbot was the governor during this most recent realignment because of Perry was still the governor he’d have put a stop to it. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Abbott's fucking around and potentially losing face in his efforts to stop mask mandates is not a long-term calculated move, it's him trying to act tough against the librool crowd over the next 3-4 months or so, long enough to make sure Huffines never gains any traction.

Abbott started acting this way last year, when Allen West, then head of the Texas Republican Party, was protesting outside of the Governor's Mansion and the Capitol.  That shit got Abbott's attention, that a bunch of MAGA types were walking around with signs claiming Abbott was actually a Democrat because of masks, etc. and that West was trying to weaponize the TRP against Abbott. West did get unceremoniously dumped (I'm sorry, he "resigned" after pissing the rest of the TRP off when he started shit-talking them publicly).

Whether Abbott had a say in West's being ousted, who knows, but I'd say "probably" given Abbot's connections that run deep over the past 20 years.

And West trying to weaponize the TRP against Abbott had to have spooked the hell out of Abbott.  

Nobody prior to West would have dared to try and use the the status of being in TRP leadership to oust Abbott.  No Republican at a statewide level had ever tried to tear down Abbott the way that West tried.  Now follow that up with Huffines, who has money and connections, and it's a one-two punch that Abbott was not prepared for.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott's fucking around and potentially losing face in his efforts to stop mask mandates is not a long-term calculated move, it's him trying to act tough against the librool crowd over the next 3-4 months or so, long enough to make sure Huffines never gains any traction.

Abbott started acting this way last year, when Allen West, then head of the Texas Republican Party, was protesting outside of the Governor's Mansion and the Capitol.  That shit got Abbott's attention, that a bunch of MAGA types were walking around with signs claiming Abbott was actually a Democrat because of masks, etc. and that West was trying to weaponize the TRP against Abbott. West did get unceremoniously dumped (I'm sorry, he "resigned" after pissing the rest of the TRP off when he started shit-talking them publicly).

Whether Abbott had a say in West's being ousted, who knows, but I'd say "probably" given Abbot's connections that run deep over the past 20 years.

And West trying to weaponize the TRP against Abbott had to have spooked the hell out of Abbott.  

Nobody prior to West would have dared to try and use the the status of being in TRP leadership to oust Abbott.  No Republican at a statewide level had ever tried to tear down Abbott the way that West tried.  Now follow that up with Huffines, who has money and connections, and it's a one-two punch that Abbott was not prepared for.

I agree with this.  Nothing in Greg Abbott's past would indicate that he is a great strategic thinker.  He's purely reactionary, and his current actions are strictly looking forward a few months.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Texas will continue to step towards a blue state. He’s scared and can point at Georgia 2020 

No we won’t. Texas is a 5-8 point R state. The R candidate could be Beelzebubb Puppykiller, running on a platform and track record of kicking puppies and shitting on infants, and he would still win by 3-5 points (see, a FEW percentage points of GQP voters have a modicum of a moral compass….but not nearly enough).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No we won’t. Texas is a 5-8 point R state. The R candidate could be Beelzebubb Puppykiller, running on a platform and track record of kicking puppies and shitting on infants, and he would still win by 3-5 points (see, a FEW percentage points of GQP voters have a modicum of a moral compass….but not nearly enough).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.caller.com/amp/5322880001

He’s more vulnerable than you think. Plus trump ain’t on the ballot in 2022. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.caller.com/amp/5322880001

He’s more vulnerable than you think. Plus trump ain’t on the ballot in 2022. 

“Texas is ready to turn blue!” is pure Lucy holding the football bullshit, and has been every time it’s been said over the past 10-12 years.

Maybe in another 10 years. Maybe. But it won’t matter, because this round of redistricting will be the most partisan gerrymander in history, and when coupled with voter suppression, will keep it all going at least another decade after that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

“Texas is ready to turn blue!” is pure Lucy holding the football bullshit, and has been every time it’s been said over the past 10-12 years.

Maybe in another 10 years. Maybe. But it won’t matter, because this round of redistricting will be the most partisan gerrymander in history, and when coupled with voter suppression, will keep it all going at least another decade after that.

The reasoning behind the “just wait for Texas to turn blue” bullshit in the past was the white dems hoped that the Hispanic vote would finally show up and put the dems over the top. Well they finally showed up last time and they instead helped hand Texas to trump. So yeah that thinking was dumb.

The reason Texas is actually turning purple is migration to the cities and suburbs from people out of state. That isn’t stopping or even slowing down. It’s a fact. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The reasoning behind the “just wait for Texas to turn blue” bullshit in the past was the white dems hoped that the Hispanic vote would finally show up and put the dems over the top. Well they finally showed up last time and they instead helped hand Texas to trump. So yeah that thinking was dumb.
The reason Texas is actually turning purple is migration to the cities and suburbs from people out of state. That isn’t stopping or even slowing down. It’s a fact. 

Neither is the Dem’s neglect of the Hispanic bloc, letting it go further and further Trumpy.

Remember this immutable fact: whatever the GQP giveth, the Dems will find a way to fritter away.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If Beto couldn't pull closer than he did, I am very skeptical that Texas is purple, much less close to blue.

Texas is 79% white.  Georgia is 60% white.

Texas is 13% black.  Georgia is 33% black.

Texas is 40% Hispanic/Latino.  Georgia is 10% Hispanic/Latino.  (Hispanic can be any race, hence the weird math.)

In short, Texas and Georgia have vastly different racial demographics, and that alone should probably drive skepticism about how close to the tipping point we are.  Of course, race is not the only driver of voting trends, but I think it helps get a read on where we stand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Neither is the Dem’s neglect of the Hispanic bloc, letting it go further and further Trumpy.

Remember this immutable fact: whatever the GQP giveth, the Dems will find a way to fritter away.

There’s no doubt about that. The dems in Texas have taken the Hispanic vote for granted and last election they paid the price. They really need to rectify that fuck up. 

If an opponent was smart, they could blame the migration to Texas on Abbott’s business and tax policies that attract educated liberals. They could easily turn the rural against him based just on this topic.

Of course, it doesn’t hold up after about 30 seconds of thought, but those voters aren’t thinking about anything other than their fear of newcomers.
  • Like 1