Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

11 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I didn’t say swing voter, I said moderate. Y’all are confusing terms. It may offend your sensibilities that they’re not gettable votes, but that’s just the way it goes. 

quote-you-are-what-your-record-says-you-

This may offend your sensibilities, but your friends are simply conservatives who espouse they know better...... the GOP is not a moderate party any longer and certainly not here in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Statesman reporters can't write worth shit.

I don't know the legalities of it because this isn't my area, but:

How can an executive order issued under the emergency declaration Abbott made legitimately take away the powers of local governments when the order does not act upon the emergency, and instead prevents localities from responding to said emergency?  Please to explain, anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I don't know the legalities of it because this isn't my area, but:

How can an executive order issued under the emergency declaration Abbott made legitimately take away the powers of local governments when the order does not act upon the emergency, and instead prevents localities from responding to said emergency?  Please to explain, anyone.

Because the Texas Supreme Court is a completely corrupt joke of an institution that deserves zero respect. That’s how. 

• Like 3

Just now, JimmyJames said:

I’m not sure hot wheels and that completely corrupt asshole who runs the court, Chief “Justice” Nathan Hecht, have thought this whole thing through. Whatever happens next after schools reopen, they are going to have to own it. 

Yeah, they will try to blame it on illegals being dropped off at schools or something, but this will be absolutely owned by Abbott and Paxton - those two have been out there publicly yelling that schools and counties can't mandate masks.

I still kind of wonder if Abbott was hoping the court would allow it to continue , so he could say "welp, I gave it my best shot" while secretly hoping the masks help reduce the spread.

And a bunch of the districts are going to continue to defy Abbott - most of them had assumed they'd have to pay the fines anyways.

Abbott's kids probably went to private schools.

I really doubt Abbott has his finger on the pulse of all of the parents of the 5 million+ kids who are under 12 and can't be vaccinated.

What's he going to do to the districts that are like "fuck it, we'll pay the fines!", send DPS after the principals and superintendents ands school boards?

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I really doubt Abbott has his finger on the pulse of all of the parents of the 5 million+ kids who are under 12 and can't be vaccinated.

What's he going to do to the districts that are like "fuck it, we'll pay the fines!", send DPS after the principals and superintendents ands school boards?

He’ll have TABC pull their liquor license.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

This was always coming. Because we have one-party rule, with a view that the law is whatever they say it is.

Remind you of the kind of countries we used to make fun of? Yeah….

We live in Texas. That is our sin. Texas, whose state motto is “if there’s anything that we don’t suck at as bad as Mississippi, give us time, we’ll get there.”[/url]
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

greg has the ability to suspend procedural laws to help cope with a disaster.  greg is not doing that.  greg is suspending substantive laws to cheerlead a disaster.  hence, greg is acting without authority.  in other words, greg is a tyrant.

Someone read the statute.

That distinction (procedural vs substantive) matters not even a little bit to the SCOTX, by the way, every one of whom has run on some sort of slogan that says “I won’t legislate from the bench.” Irony is dead.
  • Hook 'Em 2

That distinction (procedural vs substantive) matters not even a little bit to the SCOTX, by the way, every one of whom has run on some sort of slogan that says “I won’t legislate from the bench.” Irony is dead.

Sadly this result surprises me not in the least. My entire faith in the legal system has been shaken of late.
  • Like 1

Since you mentioned Abbott’s kids, here’s his daughter’s LinkedIn for no particular reason:

7721f1f200c634e6fe3c160ddee37439.jpg

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm assuming Dallas and Bexar can take this on up the ladder.

29 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sadly this result surprises me not in the least. My entire faith in the legal system has been shaken of late.

The one hope, I guess, is that today's order is not on the merits.  But to balance the equities in this situation to favor "muh freedumb" over the health and safety of children, among other things, and on a temporary basis, is so grotesque as to probably predict the outcome.

This is fucking masks.  MASKS!  Not business shutdowns.  Fucking MASKS!

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm assuming Dallas and Bexar can take this on up the ladder.

The case will forge ahead in the lower courts with the mask mandate mandate in effect.  But as far as this interim order, it's top o the ladder already.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The case will forge ahead in the lower courts with the mask mandate mandate in effect.  But as far as this interim order, it's top o the ladder already.

So do districts that want to continue mandating masks have any recourse at this point or can they truly not require masks?

Also what about counties that have mandated masks? Sorry not a lawyer 

10 hours ago, Red Six said:

Living in a fast-growing Austin suburb that is full of transplants, my anecdotal observation is that the people moving here from the West Coast, Chicago, or New York tend to be ridiculously right-wing, and they will tell you they moved to Texas because of freedom.

Had some decent pizza in a small town outside of Yosemite in California few years back.  The restaurant was loaded with references to God and Jesus.  Whatever.  The food was good.  The place is empty so the proprietor talks us up a bit.  When he finds out we spent most of our lives in Texas he really opened up.  Stated his intention to move there when he gets a chance.  The first stated reason for moving to Texas?  "You Texans know how to execute prisoners."  You know, like Jesus always commanded I guess.  So fucking weird how the right can twist religion.

3 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Had some decent pizza in a small town outside of Yosemite in California few years back.  The restaurant was loaded with references to God and Jesus.  Whatever.  The food was good.  The place is empty so the proprietor talks us up a bit.  When he finds out we spent most of our lives in Texas he really opened up.  Stated his intention to move there when he gets a chance.  The first stated reason for moving to Texas?  "You Texans know how to execute prisoners."  You know, like Jesus always commanded I guess.  So fucking weird how the right can twist religion.

Somewhere at a school board meeting right now in McKinney this dough tossing, malignant Christard is screaming like an infant about the oppression of wearing a bit of fabric on his face. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

Somewhere at a school board meeting right now in McKinney this dough tossing, malignant Christard is screaming like an infant about the oppression of wearing a bit of fabric on his face. 

Probably a little further north.  Prosper or Celina would be a better fit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Beto didn’t lose to Cruz by 3 points because a bunch of right wingers suddenly moved into the state. That makes no sense.

“Native Texans” voted for Biden because people born in Texas who still live here tend to be young Hispanics. Duh.

Williamson county north of Austin votes dem now. 20 years ago it was plus 20 R at a minimum. It was white then and mostly white now. It changed because of out of state transplants. 

So, can I walk into the state capitol naked? If they can’t require me to wear a mask, how can they require me to wear clothes? At least me being naked won’t possibly lead to someone’s death.

If you see me naked, you may wish for the sweet release of death, but it won’t give you a virus

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

quote-you-are-what-your-record-says-you-

This may offend your sensibilities, but your friends are simply conservatives who espouse they know better...... the GOP is not a moderate party any longer and certainly not here in Texas.

It doesn’t offend me in the least that people decide not to use the right words to express themselves. I know what you’re saying, even though you’re saying it poorly. 

Beto didn’t lose to Cruz by 3 points because a bunch of right wingers suddenly moved into the state. That makes no sense.
“Native Texans” voted for Biden because people born in Texas who still live here tend to be young Hispanics. Duh.
Williamson county north of Austin votes dem now. 20 years ago it was plus 20 R at a minimum. It was white then and mostly white now. It changed because of out of state transplants. 

Scroll to near the bottom

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls/texas/senate

From the DMN:

The opinion of the Austin appeals panel found that the governor’s powers are granted under the Texas Disaster Act to deal with emergencies.

Jenkins had argued that the act does not give Abbott the power to suspend the authority of mayors and county judges to declare and manage local disasters.

Jenkins won before a civil district court judge, Democrat Tonya Parker, and the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas before losing in the state’s highest court. The Fifth Court is made up of mostly Democrats. Jenkins is also a Democrat. But those victories were short-lived.

The orders, however, explicitly state that hearings can still proceed, which implies justices were split, said David Coale, a Dallas attorney who blogs about the Texas Supreme Court and federal courts.

”It’s interesting. If they really just wanted to flush it on the legal issue of ‘does the governor have the authority?’ that’s presented on this record. … but they didn’t do that,” Coale said. “That suggests to me that more than one justice wants to see what the facts are.”

The court could have affirmed the governor’s ban on mask mandates without the hearings, he said.

“If you don’t want to know what the facts are, you just squash the whole thing,” Coale said. “They’ve done that before. They can say, ‘The governor has the authority and that’s that. ... There’s only one reason you have temporary injunction hearings is for people to testify or you offer affidavits -- it’s like a mini-trial.”

After the decision, Jenkins posted on Twitter noted the Supreme Court’s decision doesn’t affect the hearing scheduled in the Dallas civil court.

”We won’t stop working with parents, doctors, schools, business and others to protect you and intend to win that hearing,” he said.

Jenkins could not be reached for further comment Sunday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

SCOTX don't give a FUCK about the law. It's about backing / propping up the R government in place and riding the MAGA train !!!!

all of their law schools should disown them 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2