The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be nice if they just polled the legislators "who here appreciates Mr. Mueller's service?" at the jump and then get on past that silly repetitive praise.  We get it.  It's not germane.

it's funny, the D's do it to establish his credibility, and the R's do it to try and take the edge off their questions/attacks on his credibility.

Just now, hayden_horn said:

it's funny, the D's do it to establish his credibility, and the R's do it to try and take the edge off their questions/attacks on his credibility.

More to the point, both do it to establish their patriotism, whether it exists or not.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . Article 2 Section 2 isn't talking about pardons in the event of POTUS under impeachment, is it?  I believe it limits POTUS' ability to pardon other officials who are being impeached.  Am I reading it wrong?

As far as I know, it's never been decided.   And certainly the language can be read that way. But I don't see a real purpose to the exception read that way — every crime can be pardoned, no matter how serious, except for an official who was impeached?   Even though that official can resign 5 minutes before being impeached and can then be pardoned for the exact same crime? 

I think it makes much more sense to read the clause as depriving the president of the pardon power while he is subject to an impeachment case, in order to stop him from corruptly using that power while essentially under trial for corruption. 

At the very least, lay that marker down with Trump and let a court decide. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

@Bateshorn — when a rep yields his or her remaining time to the chair at the end of talking (not yielding specifically to someone else), does that time just get added up for the chair to use or give to someone else later? 

i'm not bateshorn, but i believe the chair has discretion to either use or forego that time by moving onto the next in line.

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

@Bateshorn — when a rep yields his or her remaining time to the chair at the end of talking (not yielding specifically to someone else), does that time just get added up for the chair to use or give to someone else later? 

As in "I yield back"?  They are saying they are done.  It doesn't go in a general pool to be used later, in committee. Each member has a set speaking slot, so if they have no other questions, it's how they wrap up.  The time is gone at that point.

Sometimes members will yield their time to somebody else to continue to pursue a line of questioning, but it has to be when they are called upon.  There was a lot of chatter during the Kavanaugh hearing that the bulk of the D's should have yielded their time to Harris, since she's so good at prosecutor questioning, but that would have required subverting egos.

The rules are different for the Floor of the House. I can explain that if you want, but I suspect you don't.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

He is an old man, and the testimony is long and intellectually intense.  It's not a fault, its just reality. 

Kinda makes what Hilary went through look even more impressive.  She was trading barbs and giving sarcastic responses 10 hours in.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

He is an old man, and the testimony is long and intellectually intense.  It's not a fault, its just reality. 

I don't disagree -- my point is that this kind of scrutiny for this long is tiring for anyone of any age.

53 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I disagree.   Even without removal, impeachment would have significant consequences.   First, while the Dems impeaching Trump wouldn't convince everyone that he is guilty, the failure to impeach sends the message that even Dems didn't think his conduct was bad enough to impeach over.  That moves public opinion, and is a big reason why Trump is hitting all-time polling highs since the Dems didn't respond to the damming allegations in the Mueller report.   It was the impeachment hearings in Watergate that moved public opinion too, the other way. 

Second, "impeachment hearings in the matter of Donald J. Trump" would have brought massive ratings and attention to his crimes. 

Third, Trump loses his pardon power in cases of impeachment.  The failure to impeach allows him to continue to obstruct justice by dangling pardons, and maybe even pardon himself. 

Fourth, Trump's defense in various lawsuits seeking documents is in part, "they can't get this unless it's pursuant to impeachment hearings."  Even if that defense fails, it's helping him run out the clock. 

Fair enough.  As much as I would enjoy seeing Trump impeached, I think the dynamics of the situation are very different than those that were present during Watergate.  I also think that impeachment proceedings would play into Trump's hands in terms of playing the victim card when it comes to the "liberal media" and claiming victory and "innocence" to his supporters if the proceedings ended without a conviction -- as they almost surely would.  The "ratings" you cite could cut both ways.  I don't see the point relating to the power of pardon as being a big factor mitigating in favor of impeachment.  Your fourth point has, IMO, more validity, but in the end I think it's largely outweighed by the negative effects that exoneration would have.  

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Old man, me'thinks thou doth protesteth loudly before thou wert wise.

more like:

This Nicholas anon leet flee a fart,
As greet as it had been a thonder-dent,
That with the strook he was almost y-blent;
And he was redy with his iren hoot,
And Nicholas amidde the ers he smoot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Fair enough.  As much as I would enjoy seeing Trump impeached, I think the dynamics of the situation are very different than those that were present during Watergate.  I also think that impeachment proceedings would play into Trump's hands in terms of playing the victim card when it comes to the "liberal media" and claiming victory and "innocence" to his supporters if the proceedings ended without a conviction -- as they almost surely would.  The "ratings" you cite could cut both ways.  I don't see the point relating to the power of pardon as being a big factor mitigating in favor of impeachment.  Your fourth point has, IMO, more validity, but in the end I think it's largely outweighed by the negative effects that exoneration would have.  

why--because it would rile up his always riled up base?  He broke the law in multiple ways--talk about it all the time.  For the Dems, stay on point--the president and the Republicans always play the victim card.