The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mueller has done a lot of work on mafia cases.  TV tells me that a lot of mafia cases play out by getting lower-level guys to flip on upper-level guys.

It’s not like Robert Mueller took down John Gotti and the Gambino crime family.

Oh wait, he did do that.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I like the assertion that relations with Russia are the WORST they've ever been, even worse now than during the Cold War..... When we were literally on the brink of nuclear war. 

Why does EVERYTHING need to be stated in superlatives? It's exhausting. 

Edited by TornACL

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It would help if the investigation would actually produce something. The longer it goes on with nothing really happening the less people care. There’s a saying in sales, “Time kills deals.” The longer nothing happens then the more people think there’s nothing there and that nothing will happen.

Not everyone has the time or inclination to study this stuff on a daily basis.

That’s why I think that if a) the economy is still humming and b) the investigation is still dragging on, Trump will get elected for a second term.

Not saying you're wrong, but you're being a bit shortsighted. People may have lost interest for the time being, but if Mueller does come out with something big, that interest would be immediately renewed. It's not like sales. Mueller isn't going to shut down the investigation because the general public has lost interest.

As for reelection...hell I don't know. I can't imagine the investigation going that long without us knowing one way or the other. What are we, about 25% of the way through? And there's been a shitload more indictments/arrests/stories than there were at this point in any similar historical investigation. Even if we don't have a smoking gun by election time, that's a whole different animal. People watch debates (or at least get recaps on them), see commercials, and just hear more political shit in general. The insanity that currently gets glossed over because there's too much to cover in a daily newscast will be more highlighted come election.

It may have been most dangerous at times when we were not even aware of the peril.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/27/vasili-arkhipov-soviet-submarine-captain-who-averted-nuclear-war-awarded-future-of-life-prize

Two of the vessel’s senior officers – including the captain, Valentin Savitsky – wanted to launch the missile. According to a report from the US National Security Archive, Savitsky exclaimed: “We’re gonna blast them now! We will die, but we will sink them all – we will not become the shame of the fleet.”

But there was an important caveat: all three senior officers on board had to agree to deploy the weapon. As a result, the situation in the control room played out very differently. Arkhipov refused to sanction the launch of the weapon and calmed the captain down. The torpedo was never fired.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mueller has done a lot of work on mafia cases.  TV tells me that a lot of mafia cases play out by getting lower-level guys to flip on upper-level guys.

I almost typed a very similar response, but I think his point is in reference to this being a raid on an attorney rather than a street dealer. There's a massive difference in that. For now, I'm really hoping the basis for the warrant/raid is indisputable, and we have no reason to believe it isn't. If not, we should all choke back our urge to vomit and agree with Trump that it's BAD!

• Like 1

Bi-partisan bill to protect Mueller proposed

Coons said in an interview with MSNBC that he thought some Republicans, who currently have the majority in the Senate, could be swayed to back the bill.

“I think the events of the past week have changed some minds in the Republican caucus, that there is a moment here for the Senate to stand up and save the president from himself,” said Coons.

Even the most accomplished baby-proofer can't save the president from himself.  He's determined to stick his little hand in the electric socket no matter how many times you warn him.

Well, I talk to the president on television all the time. Apparently he listens. I get on television and I state what I think is going on. And anybody can listen, and I very purposely do it publicly so nobody mistakes it for legal advice. And I will continue to do that. I feel strongly about what’s going on and I share my views widely, publicly, and I know the president sometimes listens. He has said to me that sometimes he agrees with what I said and sometimes he disagrees.

Should I take from this statement that Alan D is "advising" (unofficially) DJT via Fox News segments and Slate interviews?  Because that's what it sounds like.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It would help if the investigation would actually produce something. The longer it goes on with nothing really happening the less people care. There’s a saying in sales, “Time kills deals.” The longer nothing happens then the more people think there’s nothing there and that nothing will happen.

Not everyone has the time or inclination to study this stuff on a daily basis.

That’s why I think that if a) the economy is still humming and b) the investigation is still dragging on, Trump will get elected for a second term.

It's very hard to take shit like this as anything other than disingenuous concern trolling. 

41 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Actually good legal advice 

It is but it'll be wasted with the first distraction afterwards.  Alan probably had some reservation when they brought a well done steak to his table and the POTUS commenced to cutting it with a spoon, or this is how I imagine it. 

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

It is but it'll be wasted with the first distraction afterwards.  Alan probably had some reservation when they brought a well done steak to his table and the POTUS commenced to cutting it with a spoon, or this is how I imagine it. 

After drowning it in ketchup 

26 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

There's no way he cuts it with a spoon. 100% chance he asks for it to be pre-cut.

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Bi-partisan bill to protect Mueller proposed

“I think the events of the past week have changed some minds in the Republican caucus, that there is a moment here for the Senate to stand up and save the president from himself,” said Coons.

Even the most accomplished baby-proofer can't save the president from himself.  He's determined to stick his little hand in the electric socket no matter how many times you warn him.

This isn't about saving POTUS from himself.  No GOP on the Hill believes Mueller and his team of 16+ ace prosecutors is running clock empty handed.  The next step POTUS takes "fighting back" will put the onus squarely on them to DO SOMETHING!  Under no circumstances do they want that anchor dropping in their lap.  Amazing how much of a consensus view this is.  It's bad, but keeping Mueller intact helps keep it somewhat compartmentalized to the WH.

• Like 2

Mueller Seeks Subpoenas for 35 Witnesses for Manafort Trial

U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller asked a judge in Alexandria, Virginia, to issue 35 sets of subpoenas to witnesses for a trial set to begin on July 10. That’s when President Donald Trump’s former campaign Chairman Paul Manafort is set to go on trial on tax and bank fraud charges.

Mueller asked for blank subpoenas, with names to be filled in later.

35 witnesses :ph34r:

Correction.  Make that 70 subpoenas (35 sets). 
I don't know, seems like they're being thorough.

But when is the investigation gonna lead to anything?

Seems like the same people ruined by 24 hour Twitter from the president and Fox News can't just sit back and let an investigation run its course. They've become so used to 40 minute TV shows solving murders and getting convictions that they don't realize in the real world it takes time to be thorough.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Remember the report about the NRA being investigated for potential money laundering Rubles via Russian laiason Torshin into GOP coffers?

Look out below !  

Admit it... Show of hands here on hiw many of you gave money to that corrupt, racist, and horrid bunch of traitors?

Worthwhile Twit thread with embedded pdf's of NRA audit balance sheets for '15 v '16

1) NRA Membership had <3% growth 2015 v 2016

2) how come there’s a 12,997,055.00 NET Increase?

3) $66M ‘15 v $25M in ‘16 in undesignated assets?

4) what did they spent $40M on?

25 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Remember the report about the NRA being investigated for potential money laundering Rubles via Russian laiason Torshin into GOP coffers?

Look out below !  

I’m surprised they admit this- they must be worried about Mueller 

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

It's very hard to take shit like this as anything other than disingenuous concern trolling. 

It's the nature of the investigation.  There's not going to be any "beef" in terms of The Donald until the Special Counsel issues his report because the Special Counsel is not going to indict the President.

Currently, he's kind of nibbling at the edges of the whole thing and that creates more questions frankly than answers.

What is becoming interesting to me is that I have little doubt that Donald Trump is dirty and indictable from his pre-election business dealings (possibly no more so than a lot of politicians and other public figures).  If the Special Counsel report shows all kinds of criminal dealings (money laundering, mortgage/lending fraud, etc.)  with Russians or others that precede the election and campaign (and minimal actual "collusion") what then?

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's the nature of the investigation.  There's not going to be any "beef" in terms of The Donald until the Special Counsel issues his report because the Special Counsel is not going to indict the President.

Currently, he's kind of nibbling at the edges of the whole thing and that creates more questions frankly than answers.

What is becoming interesting to me is that I have little doubt that Donald Trump is dirty and indictable from his pre-election business dealings (possibly no more so than a lot of politicians and other public figures).  If the Special Counsel report shows all kinds of criminal dealings (money laundering, mortgage/lending fraud, etc.)  with Russians or others that precede the election and campaign (and minimal actual "collusion") what then?

Then he should be impeached and subsequently charged. The fuck?

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

Dems win the House in 2018. House votes to refer impeachment to the Senate. The Senate does nothing. 

I don't know, I think it depends on HOW the Dems take the House.  If we see some normally "safe" districts swing, it would be a warning shot across the bow.  If the GOP candidates can't win the gerrymandered districts, the Senators, might rethink their allegiance since they have to run statewide.