Jeff Fisher Still Sucks

SomeoneYouKnow

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 11:23 AM, Chad said:

Jeff Fisher, Bum Phillips and Floyd Reese are being added into the Titans ring of honor. It's rumored that Jeff Fisher's speech will be 7-9 minutes long and his name will be placed on the 50/50 yard line.

Floyd Reese being honored on the same field, at the same time as Jeff Fisher? Didn't Fisher cause Reese to lose his job after Reese saved Fisher's job twice? Old Floyd shoulda kicked the shit outta Fuckface right there on the field in front of God and everyone.

142-120 with that franchise. Utterly fucked the career of the greatest talent in franchise history ... and he's in their Ring of Honor. What a fucking world we live in ...

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

And of course Floyd Reese believed in VY and thought he'd be a superstar in the league and change the way offense is played in the NFL. Shopulda been right about the first part. At least he was right about the second part.

Great video here about how Fuckface fucked VY ...

Strongly recommend.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

Fuck Jeff Fisher. Had any other coach had Steve McNair he would have two rings and Steve might have been one of the greatest. Instead Fisher used McNair up letting him take endless beatings. I place McNair’s murder squarely on Fucking Fisher’s head. I watched MaNair at Alcorn a couple of times and he had all the makings.

And he fucked up VY instead of taking him under his wing and getting him all the help he needed to succeed. Fuck Jeff Fisher.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just for the hell of it, here are the names of some of the QBs with worse records vs .500 or better teams (from better to worse). Most were much worse. You might recognize a few of them ...

(Oilers/Titans QBs in bold)

J. Theismann
R. Cunningham 
D. McNabb
R. Gannon
T. Aikman
S. McNair
D. Marino
L. Dawson
T. Dilfer
W. Moon
J. Unitas
P. Simms
K. Anderson
D. Krieg 
B. Griese
B. Kosar
J. Plunkett 
B. Esiason
D. Fouts
Jim Harbaugh
F. Tarkenton
D. Bledsoe
D.  Pastorini
V. Testaverde
Kerry Collins (21-56...27%)
L. Dickey
S.Jurgensen
J. Namath
A. Manning

Also @Terry Silver, VY had the best winning % of any 1st string QB Fisher ever had in Houston or Nashville.

@dingleberryswitzer, a better answer to your question is that during VY's tenure in Tennessee, the team was 30-17 when he started and 15-20 without VY.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Seeing several HOF guys on that list.

Yep. Exactly. The fact that Fisher & his buddies tried to spin that 13-14 record as a bad thing and as one of the reasons VY was benched -  in favor of Kerry Collins and his 21-56 record vs winning teams - tells you everything you need to know about that shitbag. They also used turnovers as an excuse, when VY had improved massively year to year in that regard and ended up with 42 TD passes and 42 Ints in 47 starts for the Titans. In an offense that was as unsuited for VY as it possibly could be. And most of the Ints came at the beginning, with most of the TDs coming toward the end. VY was trending massively upward as a QB, not downward as they'd have you believe. Even including VY's rough first couple of years (turnover-wise), he still had better avg turnovers per game than lots of big QB names, like E. Manning, Favre, Brees, Fitz, Rivers, Romo, Luck, Vick, Ryan, Stafford, etc ...

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Another reason to hate Bud Adams -- half measures with VY. Seems like he drafted him to spite Houston but then didn't follow through and let Fisher know that he runs the VY offense or you take your moustache and milquetoast 500 record and jam them up your ass. Some hungry coach would have been more than happy to ride VY's coattails to a Super Bowl but instead we had that terrible frustrating what-could-have-been? career.

Just a few weeks ago, my dad was clearing out his things and found a framed copy of the SI with VY on the cover when he was still looking good for the Titans. It's autographed. Dad was going to throw it out. I said I would take it, but only so he would not throw it out. I don't really want it, either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, wood said:

Floyd Reese being honored on the same field, at the same time as Jeff Fisher? Didn't Fisher cause Reese to lose his job after Reese saved Fisher's job twice? Old Floyd shoulda kicked the shit outta Fuckface right there on the field in front of God and everyone.

142-120 with that franchise. Utterly fucked the career of the greatest talent in franchise history ... and he's in their Ring of Honor. What a fucking world we live in ...

A certain RB that wore #34 would like a word with you

3 minutes ago, tx ind said:

A certain RB that wore #34 would like a word with you

I'm a huge Ricky fan, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't wanna start a whole Ricky vs VY vs Earl thing. Everyone loses in that kind of hair-splitting argument, imho.

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

We know Jeff Fisher sucks beyond comprehension, but if the stories are half-true about VY’s utter lack of professionalism, his pro career isn’t terribly worth defending. Between a failure to prepare himself mentally to failing to watch his weight, etc, he kinda sucked. 

Could be a chicken and egg situation.  A guy that doesn’t feel supported by the team leadership might not bust his ass for the team.  Then he and kerry Collins were in a ongoing QB battle so who knows how much the alleged veteran helped mentor him.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Could be a chicken and egg situation.  A guy that doesn’t feel supported by the team leadership might not bust his ass for the team.  Then he and kerry Collins were in a ongoing QB battle so who knows how much the alleged veteran helped mentor him.  

Thanks and good points. However, VY himself shared that long, publicly-issued apology for his behavior as a pro, so I am going to take him at his word. 

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

We know Jeff Fisher sucks beyond comprehension, but if the stories are half-true about VY’s utter lack of professionalism, his pro career isn’t terribly worth defending. Between a failure to prepare himself mentally to failing to watch his weight, etc, he kinda sucked. 

36 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I agree with both of these opinions, but he could have had been Joe McCoachonthefield Lunchpail himself and Fisher still would have squandered about 30 percent of his talent by forcing him into that jalopy of a "Let's win this one 16-13, boys" offense of his. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I agree with both of these opinions, but he could have had been Joe McCoachonthefield Lunchpail himself and Fisher still would have squandered about 30 percent of his talent by forcing him into that jalopy of a "Let's win this one 16-13, boys" offense of his. 

So true. 

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Thanks and good points. However, VY himself shared that long, publicly-issued apology for his behavior as a pro, so I am going to take him at his word. 

VY wasn't perfect, for sure, but his steady improvement in pretty much the worst QB situation imaginable just does not support the idea that he couldn't cut it or wasn't working hard to improve. 

In his first 3 years & 29 starts with the Titans, he threw 22 TDs & 32 INTs. In his last 2 years & 18 starts, he threw 20 TDs & 10 INTs. He was improving massively, even with a very short leash, inconsistent & wildly unpredictable playing time and first-team reps, in a shit offense with horrifically bad playcalling, an OC that didn't want him, and an HC who didn't want him, hated him, and did everything he could to hamstring him.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, he might have done that trying to counter the narrative he was a worthless piece of shit that fisher put out.

We agree that Jeff Fisher is a talentless, petty, worthless piece-of-shit. How he hung on for so long in the league says more about NFL management than it does about him. 

There were many stories about VY’s lack of professionalism. He then took the unprecedented step of addressing the entire NFL and apologizing for his behavior. That’s not something someone does unless there is a problem they need to address. From the reports of him failing to watch his weight, study film, to hitting someone in a strip club, it sounds like VY was pretty immature. When considering the two narratives here, someone once wisely said, “the truth lies somewhere in the middle.” 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

We agree that Jeff Fisher is a talentless, petty, worthless piece-of-shit. How he hung on for so long in the league says more about NFL management than it does about him. 

There were many stories about VY’s lack of professionalism. He then took the unprecedented step of addressing the entire NFL and apologizing for his behavior. That’s not something someone does unless there is a problem they need to address. From the reports of him failing to watch his weight, study film, to hitting someone in a strip club, it sounds like VY was pretty immature. When considering the two narratives here, someone once wisely said, “the truth lies somewhere in the middle.” 

Yeah, the player apologized because the coach had the entire NFL media lapping at his feet despite being an astonishingly bad coach. You seem real perceptive. 

And this isn't the bitch about VY thread. If you want to talk shit about perhaps the greatest Longhorn football player ever go make another thread. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

These two are not independent. A petty worthless shithead coach can make an environment in which it is difficult to grow and develop. You ever had a petty manager who looked to undermine you, magnify your weaknesses, minimize your strengths, vilify your failures, and take credit for your successes? Did you get better professionally in that environment? If you did did you improve professionally on the same trajectory that VY did? While VY is not blameless for his professional career flameout, the bulk of the responsibility is on those in power over his career. Had VY played for Sean Payton, Gary Kubiag, or, fuck, even Dennis Green instead of Fisher I think you'd see a vastly different narrative.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I guess you believe he was on suicide watch too

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Llogg said:

These two are not independent. A petty worthless shithead coach can make an environment in which it is difficult to grow and develop. You ever had a petty manager who looked to undermine you, magnify your weaknesses, minimize your strengths, vilify your failures, and take credit for your successes? Did you get better professionally in that environment? If you did did you improve professionally on the same trajectory that VY did? While VY is not blameless for his professional career flameout, the bulk of the responsibility is on those in power over his career. Had VY played for Sean Payton, Gary Kubiag, or, fuck, even Dennis Green instead of Fisher I think you'd see a vastly different narrative.

Good post.  I agree, as I stated with my comment about the truth being in the middle. 

39 minutes ago, Llogg said:

John Harbaugh would have been ideal....Pref from his rookie year on. He has set aside his ego to build his offense around Lamar Jackson's talents and it's worked out pretty well for both of them. And I think peak VY with his head on straight would have been better than Lamar. 

Honestly, I think the elephant in the room with VY is he quickly became a garden variety problem drinker. He put on weight and lost a step and he started having soft tissue injuries -- suggest to me he wasn't keeping his piss level and Herman-approved levels of clarity. There were incidents in clubs, and after he retired, he's had a couple of DWIs. Alcohol has been a major problem for him -- knowing when he started hitting the bottle hard would explain a lot. 

The days when you could party like Bobby Layne and be a perennial all-pro NFL QB are long over....

And if this is the case, how much of it had to do with him trying to cope with going from Superman to Fisher's scapegoat? 

• Hook 'Em 5