Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The fury over shit like this is entirely grassroots. There's a shitload Democrats could be doing to make this (and that 10 year old rape victim from Indiana who had to flee the state for an abortion, and other similar stories) a much bigger story, but they're either too scared to look too "pro-abortion" or they just really don't understand modern messaging at all.  

Meanwhile GOP messaging recently resulted in a NY Times front page yesterday that had four fucking different stories about campus speech.  

I don't care what the NY Times says. Your wife being force to say pregnant against her and her doctor's wishes is going to be a lot bigger story come election time that what the kids are doing at fucking Harvard. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

I don't care what the NY Times says. Your wife being force to say pregnant against her and her doctor's wishes is going to be a lot bigger story come election time that what the kids are doing at fucking Harvard. 

I sure hope so. But the Times played a really outsized role in driving Hillary email coverage back in 2016. What they prioritize and how they frame shit matters.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I sure hope so. But the Times played a really outsized role in driving Hillary email coverage back in 2016. What they prioritize and how they frame shit matters.

i agree but we have to step outside our blinders.  Maybe you and I read the Atlantic, WaPo, Reason, WSJ, NYT, TX Tribune, Mother Jones, WIRED, and national review to get a sense of everything on the weekly.  But 95% of America doesn't do that.  NYT doing a deep dive on this isn't going to change much.  The young women it should inspire to become politically engaged earlier in life won't read it because it's a paper for has-beens like you and me.  Maybe it'll get some traction on social media.  And pro-Abbott/Paxton/Trumpers won't ever see it and if they do, they'll just dismiss it as "left-wing media propaganda."  I'm honestly just stunned they've ridden the narrative this long while the Texas Tribune and Statesman are reporting it like it's an interesting holiday recipe to share with your christofascist mother-in-law.

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

The olds still rely on cable news.

That awkward moment at the holidays when your elders comment on how Cronkite used to be a voice of reason in this great country as they're asking you how to flip from youtubeTV to some former pro wrestler on FoxNews to let them know how to feel about women's bodily rights today...

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This.  Look at the last few years.  The voters have seen through the nonsense about whatever the outrage of the day is (trans, "woke," etc.)  The Republicans have lost everything since Dobbs despite the media's redirection and we all know why.  Stories like this just make it more front and center and they'll keep happening.

Even Frank Luntz (normally a good pollster) got hoodwinked.  Turns out people were more mad about 10 year olds being forced to have a baby than they were $3/gallon gas.  Who would have thought?

• Hook 'Em 1

Women in my friend and acquaintance groups, old and young, are talking about this. It's pissing them off. I've already stated numerous times that my daughters have left or will be leaving Texas. Most of their female friends have or are planning to after graduation from UTexas. The ones with family aren't moving but the younger smart ones who can will be moving. 

When my family and I are moved from this state, I will be an extremely happy man.

Fuck this state leadership. Fuck the assholes who keep voting them in power.

And these dumb as fuck younger dudes wonder why younger women don't want to date MAGAt dudes.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Shit, my wife won't even let our daughter attend summer camp in Texas...

I honestly can't believe they even have summer camps in Texas still.

"Camp Highlands...come for the oppressive anti-female regime, stay for the 110* nights that smell like somebody took a hot shit in an unventilated tent.  Literally."  

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Shit, my wife won't even let our daughter attend summer camp in Texas...

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

When my family and I are moved from this state, I will be an extremely happy man.

Fuck this state leadership. Fuck the assholes who keep voting them in power.

And these dumb as fuck younger dudes wonder why younger women don't want to date MAGAt dudes.

Fatty:

200.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

About as well as your bumper sticker program?  ;)  

You are right though, there are really no adults at the helm anymore.  I don't know what the fuck happened, but my children are going to pay a price because Abbott is upset with his station(ary) in life, Paxton's worldview is bent, and Dan patrick feels like a taller, less funny, more lesbian-dressed version of Patton Oswalt.  And the three of them are gonna take it out on young Texas women.  

Lesbian Patton Oswalt. That’s fucking awesome!

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I honestly can't believe they even have summer camps in Texas still.

"Camp Highlands...come for the oppressive anti-female regime, stay for the 110* nights that smell like somebody took a hot shit in an unventilated tent.  Literally."  

Apologies to you and the rest of the board for flying off the handle last night.

Just now, bolverk said:

Apologies to you and the rest of the board for flying off the handle last night.

No apology necessary.  Say whatever you want to/about me.  All good.  Just thought it was weird to mention daughters.  I gotta bad feeling we're all gonna look back on this time as a relatively sane period in Texas/Surly history.  Shit gonna get a lot stranger before it gets remotely better.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This.  Look at the last few years.  The voters have seen through the nonsense about whatever the outrage of the day is (trans, "woke," etc.)  The Republicans have lost everything since Dobbs despite the media's redirection and we all know why.  Stories like this just make it more front and center and they'll keep happening.

Even Frank Luntz (normally a good pollster) got hoodwinked.  Turns out people were more mad about 10 year olds being forced to have a baby than they were $3/gallon gas.  Who would have thought?

If/when Texas flips or comes extremely close to it, it won't be because the Democrats pulled perfect candidates out of their asses, it'll be because Republicans can't stop taking victory laps after banning abortion.  And Paxton and Co. and counties like Lubbock and Goliad are more than happy to keep abortion front and center heading into election season. 

• Like 1

^

this.  The tone of the double-down does not surprise me, but the timing does.  This won't effect Cruz or virtually any House race, nor the Statewide folks who aren't up until 2026 and have ample war chests.  It won't win Texas for Biden, but it will put a very marked dent in Texas as reliable EC stronghold for 2028 and be a fundraising narrative for literally 3+ years.  But what it really does is throw the MAGA stranglehold on the State Capitol into total disarray.  It's already susceptible.  There's been one shitty Abbott/MAGA/Patrick idea shot down one after another.  Not that the Democrats are going to take it back by any means, but the margins will be shredded, particularly among the far right lunatics.  This latest divisive issue plus an emboldened moderate like Phelan, Abbott thinks he was knee-capped this session?  He's gonna look like a buffoon moreso in 2025/26.  Unless they're all just doubling down on getting jobs in some shadow 2025/26 federal government in exile.  But again, these guys are assholes but they're not abject morons (except Patrick).  They can count.  They have to realize at some point, nobody is gonna swoop into Texas from the Trump administration and literally take all of them back to DC to be cabinet members and judicial appointees.  That's not how coaliitions are built.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Texas Tribune and Statesman are reporting it like it's an interesting holiday recipe

Spot on.

The Texas Tribune is an intellectual fraud, pretending to be some high-brow journalistic endeavor. Like all the TV stations and newspapers in Texas (and 99% of America), the Texas Tribune has long been normalizing fascism and theocracy, bit by bit, under the cowardly position of being "objective" and fair to "both sides." Hell, I'll go further. They are enabling fascism/theocracy in their sheer intellectual bankruptcy and cowardice.

Edited by BevoAbyss

Just now, BevoAbyss said:

The Texas Tribune is an intellectual fraud, pretending to be some high-brow journalistic endeavor. Like all the TV stations and newspapers in Texas (and 99% of America), the Texas Tribune has long been normalizing fascism and theocracy, bit by bit, under the cowardly position of being "objective" and fair to "both sides." Hell, I'll go further. They are enabling fascism/theocracy in their sheer intellectual bankruptcy and cowardice.

Wait, what?  Is this a bit?  Or royiv bagging on me via surrogate?  Texas Tribune is enabling fascism?  Seriously?  I've heard some shit in my day about Thornton and Evan, but never this beyond the pale.  They do extend themselves on some issues, against the evidence, to curry favor with corporate and wealthy donors.  But I've never heard even their most ardent critic label them with anything resembling their post.  But you are quite likely more privy to better intel about them than I.  I was proud to be one of their first 100 donors and have been a consistent supporter of theirs,  but to go any further would just get royivs cunt all up in arms again,  but please post if you've some inside baseball on their inner workings.  I guess now that I think about it, they have been unusually agnostic the last year or so on some serious shit.  But maybe that's just us projecting.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

they have been unusually agnostic the last year or so on some serious shit.

There you go. You got it. They are agnostic on most everything that is happening in Texas.

-- The most horrendous of laws and actions taken by Abbott, Paxton, etc. are treated in the Tribune in a banal mundane summary of what is presented "facts" and "events" ... treated "objectively." It's all a smokescreen to keep the funding and not offend the power brokers and dominant ideologues in Texas. They will never identify anyone or any group with  F Bomb: "fascist" 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/13/abortion-drug-supreme-court-mifepristone-fda/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f004

The Supreme Court will decide this term whether to limit access to a key abortion drug, returning the polarizing issue of reproductive rights to the high court for the first time since the conservative majority overturned Roe v. Wade last year.

The Biden administration and the manufacturer of mifepristone have asked the justices to overturn a lower-court ruling that would make it more difficult to obtain the medication, which is part of a two-drug regimen used in more than half of all abortions in the United States. Oral arguments will likely be scheduled for the spring, with a decision by the end of June, further elevating the issue of abortion, which has proven galvanizing for Democrats, during the 2024 campaign season.

The justices will review a decision from the conservative U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit that said the Food and Drug Administration did not follow proper procedures when it began loosening regulations for obtaining the mifepristone, which was first approved more than 20 years ago. The changes made over the last few years included allowing the drug to be taken later in pregnancy, to be mailed directly to patients and to be prescribed by a medical professional other than a doctor.

• Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Even though Texas has a near-total ban, the proposed travel ordinances are the next fight for access. The so-called travel ban would outlaw the use of Amarillo’s roads to transport a pregnant person for an abortion in another state, opening the door for lawsuits from private Texans against anyone who “aids and abet” the procedure. The lawsuits are the only enforcement mechanism for the ordinance.

It’s the enforcement that these residents can’t look past. Amarillo civic leaders take pride in having a friendly, neighborly atmosphere in the community. Neighbors turning each other in to collect reward money seemingly goes against that, and some council members said in the first meeting they did not like that element of the ordinance.

“I’d say most people, even here in the heart of Trump Country, are against restrictive statutes,” said Ryan Brown, an Amarillo attorney. “As written, this ordinance further divides the citizens of Amarillo and will put citizens against each other.”

Mark Lee Dickson, director of Right to Life of East Texas and the anti-abortion activist behind the ordinance, previously told the Tribune that he believes it would hold up in court. "The abortion trafficking ordinances do not interfere with the right to travel," he wrote in a statement to The Texas Tribune. "The ordinances only impose penalties on those who are using roads within the county to traffic pregnant mothers across state lines for the purpose of an abortion."

In the days following the first meeting, Dickson shared on social media that Amarillo would be his primary base of operations for the time being.

So far, four counties — Lubbock, Cochran, Mitchell and Goliad — have passed the travel bans. Odessa, with a population of nearly 117,000, and Little-River Academy, a small town of 2,200, have also passed similar policies. Amarillo, with more than 200,000 residents, would be the most populous city in Texas to put a ban in place if it is approved.

It's only a matter of time before "private" citizens are monitoring who is going to New Mexico and maybe even where, and then filing lawsuits.

• Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/14/podcasts/the-daily/texas-abortion-ban.html?smid=url-share

I suggest everyone listen to The Daily podcast today.

It is infuriating.  Listening to the hearing, and the cocky lawyer for Texas.  Fuck that guy.  Also, fuck Ken Paxton.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I suggest everyone punch a Texas Republican in the cunt.

Reminds me of the old joke, "Why do they call it a cunt?"  

Because that's the sound makes when you kick it.  

Not to make light of the horrendous punishment Texas Republican Men are visiting upon Texas Women.  But I mean, this is Fonzi jumping the shark territory here with women blatantly and openly doing this shit to other women by voting this way.  It's one thing to vote for more God in schools or lower property taxes or whatever the fuck...but they are just being cruel to one another at this point.  Again, men are to blame but women are running a real fucking strong, close second at this point.  

royiv can chime in and neg rep me again because his yardsign campaign is going so well, and this will read as very sexist.  But here's what I don't get in this post-2015 ecosystem.  Why in the ever living fuck are Texas women doing this to one another?  Are Paxton and Patrick and Abbott these super sexy alpha males that control a broad in the bedroom and a bitch in the boardroom?  They're just lining up to donate and vote for these fucking assclowns who want to destroy young women's lives, literally.  Again, not blaming them exclusively...it's on men.  So go ahead and misquote me.  But what in the ever living fuck?  I mean, yeah we all shame people who do what we did years ago as young people and maybe have regrets about...but we're talking about millions of Texas women volunteering to fuck over millions of other Texas women.  And for fucking what?  What's the fucking end-game?  Please share with the rest of the class.  Because when the men you love and the men you vote for march you off to re-education camps..........what fucking difference will it make that you told yourself it was for Jesus or your daughters or for society?  

Mark my fucking words, you are the first people they will come for.  The collaborators are always the first to go because they're already inside the camps.  And I won't shed a fucking tear.  I will hold my daughters' hands as they strip you naked and enslave you.  And I will remind them that these are not strong women.  Women as a whole are stronger than your father.  But these were the weakest people and that's why they were used, that's they chose how they did, and that's why they're being taken away.  And I will fucking laugh my ass off into old age.  How men can do this to women?  Read a fucking book.  How women can do this to other women?  That's the fucked up part.  Vote for demise?  Don't come crying to me when it's at your doorstep asking for your papers you cunts.

11 minutes ago, safe sex said:

The same reason poor Republicans vote against their own interests. They think they're sticking it to the "bad ones" and that nothing unfortunate will happen to them, so they need to go along to keep their place in their social structure.

Leopards eating faces.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, safe sex said:

The same reason poor Republicans vote against their own interests. They think they're sticking it to the "bad ones" and that nothing unfortunate will happen to them, so they need to go along to keep their place in their social structure.

I suppose the best explanation is often the simplest one.  As usual, you're right and as usual, my prize mistake is my lack of imagination.  I've known too many cruel man for a hundred lifetimes and I've been fortunate to know many strong women for a thousand lifetimes.  But I fail every fucking time to see the shitty ones coming because, like Henry Hill tells us, they come with a smile.  They come as your friends.  And that's why you help them put the revolver to your own temple.  

Will readily admit I was never terribly pro-choice, but was never that adamant about pro-life movements either.  Kinda just stayed out of it because I'm apparently not a physician and apparently do not have a uterus.  Just a guy who walks around in wonder of his wife and her strength.  Did I forecast men doing this to women?  Abso-fucking-lutely!  Did I suspect women doing this to one another voluntarily, and not just some Margaret Atwood epilogue?  Kinda.  But did I see them walking down the dark path with a smile and a hug?  Nope.  But that's how it happens.  They don't pick you up in a van with pinked out windows.  They pick you up as your friend, to comfort you in the name of Jesus, smaller government, and the betterment of your children's schools.  Because books give you ideas.  Reproductive and contraceptive rights give you free will.  Because equality means you're a human.  And you're not, your property.  And they will make it so.  And nothing I can do can change that.  My wife doesn't see it yet, but she's starting to.  My girls deserve a different fate than this Texas.  So I'm gonna stay and I'm gonna wreck some shit.  Glad to be on the right side of history, painful as it is...

It's only a matter of time before "private" citizens are monitoring who is going to New Mexico and maybe even where, and then filing lawsuits.

I wonder how it would work to just organize regular trips through Little River-Academy trying to bait people into reporting/suing people.

Maybe just shoe polish the car windows to say “New Mexico Abortion or Bust!”?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2023 at 6:35 PM, YGIFS said:

Wait, what?  Is this a bit?  Or royiv bagging on me via surrogate?  Texas Tribune is enabling fascism?  Seriously?  I've heard some shit in my day about Thornton and Evan, but never this beyond the pale.  They do extend themselves on some issues, against the evidence, to curry favor with corporate and wealthy donors.  But I've never heard even their most ardent critic label them with anything resembling their post.  But you are quite likely more privy to better intel about them than I.  I was proud to be one of their first 100 donors and have been a consistent supporter of theirs,  but to go any further would just get royivs cunt all up in arms again,  but please post if you've some inside baseball on their inner workings.  I guess now that I think about it, they have been unusually agnostic the last year or so on some serious shit.  But maybe that's just us projecting.  

image.jpeg.a47d8e66f736e8e2a0a66d2941f0e108.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

stayed in my car to finish that one.  tough listen.  the daily has had a lot of tough listens lately.

True. 

Abortion, 10/7, subsequent Gaza war, and Sleepy Joe trailing Trump had really made my The Daily consumption a fun commute listen

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

I wonder how it would work to just organize regular trips through Little River-Academy trying to bait people into reporting/suing people.

Maybe just shoe polish the car windows to say “New Mexico Abortion or Bust!”?

"As far as you know, we're not going to New Mexico for an abortion!"

But yeah, if Lubbock County, if Amarillo, etc. are going to create these laws to entice Texans to sue one another, they need to be trolled.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, safe sex said:

it's actually a later step in the autocratic process: establish the other. castigate and oppress the other. appeal to a moral authority by finding "good ones" of the other and give them soap and eggs and other items through a forced scarcity. then use the "good ones" to do the really bad shit to the others so you don't have to get your hands dirty. has the side benefit of making the good others kill the bad others and clean up the mess, thus establishing to the good others that they are still an other underclass subject to such treatment themselves if they aren't good little snitches and bullies of others in their condition. 

• Rage+1 1

In their ranking of Texas House members, The Texas Tribune uses the standard labels of "conservative" and "more conservative" to completely normalize fascism and theocracy in Texas. Check out the article below.

-- Meanwhile, women are fleeing for their lives, west Texas cities want to blockade the highways to catch them, Abbott installs razor wire at the Rio Grande, kids in cages, mass deportation of immigrants, open calls for Biblical domination of Texas, attacks on educators, book bans, anti-science idiocy everywhere (from Covid to Climate Catastrophe), the Governor endorsing for president a known insurrectionist who seeks to install himself as dictator ... The list just keeps growing. 

-- But the Tribune treats it like we're still in the 1980s and its just liberals v. conservatives ... when we're in 2023 and the issue is democracy vs. fascism and theocracy. (Of course, most of American media do the same.)

-- The evidence is right before our eyes. The Republican Party, MAGA-GQP is fascist and theocratic, by any definition in a dictionary not tossed out of a Texas high school library. 

-- Saying anything less is utter denial and gaslighting the rest of us. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/15/mark-jones-texas-house-special-2023-liberal-conservative-scores/

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1