Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Arizona is going blue now.

And 2 of the justices are up in November in retention elections ("do you want to keep this judge or force an election?") 

If I was George Soros, paying off some judges to really clamp down on abortion would be money well spent, as it will drive a lot of people to the polls.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I was George Soros, paying off some judges to really clamp down on abortion would be money well spent, as it will drive a lot of people to the polls.

yeah, even Soros doesn't need to pay it, they do that shit for free given the chance 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Um, no. Making a bad situation worse when it has real impacts is just, no.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Smax said:

I so wish he was still around, he'd have a field day with all that has been going on

He'd probably have killed himself out of sheer depression. Nothing is going on that he didn't call decades ago, it's just in the final stages of possibly happening. Imagine how frustrated and depressed he'd be? Or is that just me?

40 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Hang it around her fucking neck.

c76915f5-b442-43a4-ab4b-06a1fcb5eaba.png

Here's what the governor should do, say that she's going to campaign like hell for her party and to replace some judges form November. 

With this decision by the Airzona supreme court, there is now no surrounding state someone can drive to to get adequate female medical care. They're all red AF and complete bans. A woman like the one in that commercial that was sent from from a hospital, after her water broke, would have to get on a plane and fly to Colorado to get care. 

56 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Republicans are so spooked that Kari Lake has acknowledged she isn't Governor.

(But for real, this statement should be a flashing red sign to anyone trying to downplay is coming in November.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

c988fcf0-ebca-11e9-afff-2141a37a6d58

Arizona is right in between California and New Mexico, lol

I was referring to people who are here in Texas. I'm sorry the context didn't make that ENTIRELY clear, although I'd have hoped that "Have to fly to Colorado" when someone could clearly drive from AZ to Colorado made that obvious. 

But I was referring to people from Texas, which has one of the top cities for medical care in the world, now can't feasibly even drive to a neighboring state to get care. We're entirely landlocked. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Um, no. Making a bad situation worse when it has real impacts is just, no.

On the one hand, I agree, it sucks.

On the other, Kari Lake and other Republicans are losing their shit, because the chickens are coming home to roost and the ads are writing themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Pardon my ignorance but I really had no idea a state could revert back to laws from almost 50 years before it was a state. wtf?

Hot Wheels, Crazy Eye, and Dannie Goeb are drooling over the thought of this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was referring to people who are here in Texas. I'm sorry the context didn't make that ENTIRELY clear, although I'd have hoped that "Have to fly to Colorado" when someone could clearly drive from AZ to Colorado made that obvious. 

But I was referring to people from Texas, which has one of the top cities for medical care in the world, now can't feasibly even drive to a neighboring state to get care. We're entirely landlocked. 

New Mexico is the only bordering state. These maps are from the NYTimes and were updated today at 1pm CDT:

image.png.76359acc29425fb41222e24bd90e989f.png

image.png.58ba80cb626206d65c53491e75bda376.png

Coahuila's also across the border from Eagle Pass (Piedras Negras) and Del Rio (Ciudad Acuña).

None of these options are ideal, obviously, but I just want to get the info out there for anyone who may know someone in need.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Pardon my ignorance but I really had no idea a state could revert back to laws from almost 50 years before it was a state. wtf?

Yeah, I don't agree but I "get" the justification for "This what the founders wanted" shit when courts rule on issues.  But a militia backed territorial administrator came up with this law before the Civil War in a place where you could murder people outside the saloon but women couldn't get abortions.  I get it, it was a different time.  I mean there's originalist intent, and then there's, "Yeah, well for a bright silver coin you could get a beer, a whiskey, a steak, some oats for our horses, a shave, a tub soak, and get a hooker pregnant against her will and force her to carry it to term.  That thing we do here in the Territory of Arizona while Conrad Hilton is in office."  

What fucking timeline is this?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

That’s really funny. Are hardcore pro-life voters too stupid to understand how much this (and Trump’s statement) insults their intelligence, or do they just not care?

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That’s really funny. Are hardcore pro-life voters too stupid to understand how much this (and Trump’s statement) insults their intelligence, or do they just not care?

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wut? Did we stop sharing a border with New Mexico?

• Hook 'Em 1

Arizona Dems should do the same thing to Trump that he did to the  congressional dems recently on immigration.  Refuse to help in any way, shape, or form to solve or improve this issue until AFTER the election this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

Arizona Dems should do the same thing to Trump that he did to the  congressional dems recently on immigration.  Refuse to help in any way, shape, or form to solve or improve this issue until AFTER the election this year.

Gov can pardon there?

No. There is no "get" on this, nor is there justification. I may be two martinis deep tonight on my thought process, but the idea that modern day judges "get" anything on the founders is just bullshit. They want to manipulate what they want by cherry picking phrases in order to use their power to enforce what they have deemed is what the founders wanted. As if.
I understand your point, but they, like other originalists, conveniently ignore that which they proclaim to be fact is rather subjective and that they only hold that power because we have "given" it to them. Because we are stupid. So, uh, yeah.
Mrs. Whiggins needs to calm down.

“Originalism” - and I’m referring to the judicial philosophy of that name - is a fucking lie. It is likely the most “decide the result you want, then cherry pick the support for it” approach out there.
A good judge is willing to teach results he doesn’t like/doesnt agree with. “Originalists” somehow magically always reach the result they want because gosh darn it, that’s what the founders wanted!
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No. There is no "get" on this, nor is there justification. I may be two martinis deep tonight on my thought process, but the idea that modern day judges "get" anything on the founders is just bullshit. They want to manipulate what they want by cherry picking phrases in order to use their power to enforce what they have deemed is what the founders wanted. As if.

I understand your point, but they, like other originalists, conveniently ignore that which they proclaim to be fact is rather subjective and that they only hold that power because we have "given" it to them. Because we are stupid. So, uh, yeah.

Mrs. Whiggins needs to calm down.

No, you are duly right to be frustrated.  Like most fathers who are trying their level best, I assume there'd be time for conversations with my daughter about stuff like this down the road.  But my daughter's class was featured on KXAN this morning and then immediately roll into a story about the Arizona abortion law.  And they show the Trump clip after that.  And she naturally asks, "What's an 'abortion' and why are there so many stories about it?"  So we did a cursory discussion of it before she headed off to school a few minutes after.  But wife and I talked about how we talk about this with her going forward (she's only 9 but as we've seen there are 10 year olds forced to carry babies to term).  Wife is old school midwestern Catholic but has come around a little bit on the subject.  I'm an asshole but my opinion has been, of course I don't want her being sexually promiscuous because that could entail things like STD's and interstate abortions and what-not.  But I want her to have access to quality health care at all times and to have agency over her own body.  Anyway, it's a whole bag of shit we gotta unpack in our household.  As is happening all across our country these days.  So as I''m about to lose my shit right before we head off to school, she replays the segment with her class and I didn't notice the segue was "Arizona Abortion law from 1864........"  And my oldest goes, "Whoah Daddy, that's even older than you."  And we had a good laugh.  For now.  \

The legal justification and codification for this subjugation of women is going to continue for another 20 years before it gets better again.  I grew up around very strong women and married to the strongest person I've ever known.  She just happens to be a gorgeous woman.  My daughters are strong but I worry on a weekly basis on what's coming as this twisted effort takes its dying breaths because they're coming of age under its thumb.  What worries me just as much as that assholes like me are helping take the watch.  When people like me are standing a post in this battle, that means shit's gonna get worse before it gets better.  Once again, my prize lack of imagination. 

I watched the video above by @chainsaw and Michael Knowles would benefit from a course in the appropriate use of how one uses air quotes. His technique is so poor. How can he claim to be a RW "conservative" if he cannot coordinate his hands to properly and emphatically use air quotes? I mean, come on. You just lift the hands and use the fingers and 'air quote' as you're speaking. Don't half ass it Michael. Lean into it.

Also, 1220 is the supposed year that Ghengis Kahn and his army took Bukhara after laying seige to it causing 30,000 civilian deaths. Knowles probably sees himself as some sort of pasha but he's more like the weird foot fetish guy in House of the Dragon.

Finally, @YGIFS you responded as I was typing and my apologies for lashing out; I know you are trying to raise your family in what is rapidly becoming a period in history where women stand to lose so much in what turned out to be a short short period of time where they (and society) could perhaps realize just how much they can offer the world beyond what men have deemed acceptable for them to do.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
slow typing