Obscure movies from your youth

Parliament

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

We didn't have even basic cable growing up, but it seemed like whenever we'd stay the night at my uncle's house in the mid-80's...this movie was always on HBO:

sidenote---and while the execution of the film's idea was atrocious, "Over the Edge" had a decent premise and a kickass soundtrack.  

I think that was filmed in downtown Houston because it was such a ghost town on weekends the director or producer thought it was an easy fit for the idea that everyone on Earth had died. 

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

Never see this one, any more. Was an HBO staple.

Snuck in to see that at 11 years old because the whole ad campaign was that somebody showed their tits.  Turned out to be a 50-year-old Julie Andrews (I had no idea who she was by name at the time).  Total fucking disappointment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Snuck in to see that at 11 years old because the whole ad campaign was that somebody showed their tits.  Turned out to be a 50-year-old Julie Andrews (I had no idea who she was by name at the time).  Total fucking disappointment. 

Didn't care. Saw titties.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Maybe not GOOD movies, but for whatever reason, memorable.

Our school would get movies on those reel to reel projectors. The last day before Xmas we'd watch 1-2. Night Crossing is one I remember. Even at young age I hated the Communists, and I was glad to see the good guys win.

My mom used to rent a VCR from the library, and bring random movies home. My Science Project is one I remember. Both of these movies have actors you know. Definitely not B movies.030ce1c901260dff5b57a12818122c2b.jpgd848d82548e0d40eda54cd1000bd4cb1.jpg

Love My Science Project.  Have had on my DVD/Blu Ray for years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BERT said:

Anyone remember Amazon Women on the Moon? I remember first seeing it cause my dad was laughing his ass off so i came into the living room to see what it was all about. Fucking hilarious.

Yes, it was great. Very similar to Kentucky fried movie, a bunch of little short unrelated scenes.

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

this was such a gonzo movie

510cTzlvi9L.jpg

Fantastically underrated movie. I saw this one in the theater, too.

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Maybe not GOOD movies, but for whatever reason, memorable.

Our school would get movies on those reel to reel projectors. The last day before Xmas we'd watch 1-2. Night Crossing is one I remember. Even at young age I hated the Communists, and I was glad to see the good guys win.

My mom used to rent a VCR from the library, and bring random movies home. My Science Project is one I remember. Both of these movies have actors you know. Definitely not B movies.030ce1c901260dff5b57a12818122c2b.jpgd848d82548e0d40eda54cd1000bd4cb1.jpg

Definitely not great movies, but I enjoyed My Science Project  and watched Night Crossing  too many times.

6 hours ago, pied said:

Over the Edge, watched that a ton when I was in ~4th grade.  Crazy the stuff I'd watch but couldn't imagine letting my kids do.

Shame EVH didn't go with it. This was a really good movie. Not a fun movie. But a good one.

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

41Q9NQZZ5ZL.jpg

fucking thing appeared on public television all the time, anad i guess the premise of the beginning of the movie was pretty intriguing and memorable how he took a bus to the purgatory place and learned he was to be judged

Ha ha?  This was never obscure and how the fuck old are some of you cherubs?

Oft quoted flick in our house.  Bob Diamond (Rip Torn character) was outstanding.

Edited by tantric superman

“Satanic Panic” was a real thing in the late 70s and early 80s in North Texas, so we watched the shit out of Race With The Devil and other movies with “fear of devil worshippers.”

I also grew up on Shaw Bros kung fu movies and 70s exploitation flicks. Me and my best friend from high school found Black Belt Jones after seeing it previewed in a B-movie compilation called “It Came from Hollywood.”  Now into our 50s, we can still run every line from that movie.  To this day, I can’t hear the word “Batman” without adding “motherfuckerrr!  If you know, you know.  image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Whitewater Horn

I mentioned this in the Halloween movie thread, but here goes again.

The Midnight Hour

It was a made for tv movie, but really good.  At least it was when I was like 10.  Surprisingly good cast and soundtrack.  Has Peter Delouise, Levar Burton, Shari Belafonte, Dick Van Patton, and Kurtwood Smith.  Macaulay Culkin even has a bit part.  Soundtrack has Wilson PIckett, CCR, Three Dog Night, The Guess Who AND my childhood introduction to The Smith's "How Soon Is Now?".

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yes, it was great. Very similar to Kentucky fried movie, a bunch of little short unrelated scenes.

Pretty funny movie. I still have a copy of it, but haven’t seen it in years. It’s a fictional B-movie that’s a hybrid between a bad sci-fi space flick and Russ Meyer titty movie. The “broadcast” is repeatedly interrupted by technical difficulties and the time is filled with phony ads and unrelated shorts. Tons and great cameos and memorable shorts, especially the Pet of Month bit.

A babysitter and I watched this one night on TV.  Probably not the original airing, but maybe a couple of years later.

Scared the living fuck out of me.

Hope Lange inherits this farm in New England.  And she keeps having visions of these pilgrim type people, in one of which they have placed a barn door on her and are putting big rocks on the barn door to coerce a confession of witchcraft.

It's actually a half decent movie for made for TV.

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

Are you thinking of the Ferrari engine in a sailboat and they won the regatta?

No, that was Cusack.  But I mostly remember Bobcat's touching story about a little fat kid who used to get teased.  And Demi Moore.

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I wouldn't exactly call "Defending Your Life" an obscure movie.  It was lauded at the time and remains a classic comedy in the Albert Brooks pantheon.  

I'm waiting for Armybrat though to chime in with some Rudolph Valentino or Mae Murray movies at some point in this thread.  

In the meantime, I give you from the great C. Thomas Howell.  The Bert Blyleven of 1980's workhorses:

10 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh with Dr. J and some comedy called Scavenger Hunt (Richard Benjamin and a bunch of B movie actors) that used to be on HBO all the time in the early 1980's are two movies I watched the shit out of when I was a kid.  

I hate Scavenger Hunt.  My dad bait-and-switched me on that piece of shit.  Went to see the Jerk and at the theater he decided my 9-year-old ass wasn’t ready.  So we sat with 3 other people in a theater watching that fucking thing.