Obscure movies from your youth

Parliament

Maybe not GOOD movies, but for whatever reason, memorable.

Our school would get movies on those reel to reel projectors. The last day before Xmas we'd watch 1-2. Night Crossing is one I remember. Even at young age I hated the Communists, and I was glad to see the good guys win.

My mom used to rent a VCR from the library, and bring random movies home. My Science Project is one I remember. Both of these movies have actors you know. Definitely not B movies.030ce1c901260dff5b57a12818122c2b.jpgd848d82548e0d40eda54cd1000bd4cb1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

I didn't know that movie existed.  Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Gillian's Island/Dobie Gillis, Leave it to Beaver, and Family Ties represented.

It was on HBO a lot in the mid 1980s, although it was a made-for-TV movie that originally aired on NBC.  Crispin Glover was also in it.

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It was on HBO a lot in the mid 1980s, although it was a made-for-TV movie that originally aired on NBC.  Crispin Glover was also in it.

And somebody at Universal Pictures saw Crispin Glover and Michael J. Fox playing high school classmates and thought, "Hey 18 months from now, that weird guy should play Fox's dad in a picture."  

Okay, got one for you and judging by some of the great obscure (and mostly crappy) movies on this thread......anybody remember one that was post-apocalyptic?  Shitty cast and production value but a few familiar faces from the 70's and 80's.  All I remember is that in the movie, the Earth's Poles reversed themselves (I think it was bomb testing).  So the whole planet turns to shit and only a few people are left on a mostly desert planet, kind of a discount Mad Max vibe to it (people had to get around on dune buggies).  Used to run late at night on WGN or original FOX in Chicago growing up.  Anybody?  Bueller?  

I'm going off of a 40+ year old memory but does anyone remember a movie (very early HBO days, maybe even the first year) that takes place in a newly built suburb community about high schools students that end up locking all their parents in the high school during a PTA meeting or somesuch?  Can't even really remember what the plot of the movie was but I can still kind of picture that scene.  

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

anyone who grew up with hbo in the early 90's probably watched this a lot...

Amazon.com: Side Out POSTER Movie (27 x 40 Inches - 69cm x 102cm) (1990):  Posters & Prints

the two movies that i love but some people consider obscure if they didn't grow up watching them:

Irreconcilable_Differences_1984_original_film_art_5000x.jpg?v=1568779245

Max Dugan Returns 1983 U.S. Large Original Poster 60/40 Inches On Thick Paper

C Thomas Howell made a lot of good 80’s movies. I laugh at the thought of trying to remake “Soul Man” in this day and age.

13 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

C Thomas Howell made a lot of good 80’s movies. I laugh at the thought of trying to remake “Soul Man” in this day and age.

I was thinking about that the other day when the landlord and his friend have the conversation in the hall.  nevermind the Leslie Nielsen dinner scene.  

That James Earl Jones approved of that script is still beyond me.

Speaking of another 80's movie workhose, John Stockwell: 

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

41Q9NQZZ5ZL.jpg

fucking thing appeared on public television all the time, anad i guess the premise of the beginning of the movie was pretty intriguing and memorable how he took a bus to the purgatory place and learned he was to be judged

I never saw this but I do remember my mom always saying this was her favorite movie. 

1 hour ago, Zwylde said:

I'm going off of a 40+ year old memory but does anyone remember a movie (very early HBO days, maybe even the first year) that takes place in a newly built suburb community about high schools students that end up locking all their parents in the high school during a PTA meeting or somesuch?  Can't even really remember what the plot of the movie was but I can still kind of picture that scene.  

Over the Edge, watched that a ton when I was in ~4th grade.  Crazy the stuff I'd watch but couldn't imagine letting my kids do.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, pied said:

Over the Edge, watched that a ton when I was in ~4th grade.  Crazy the stuff I'd watch but couldn't imagine letting my kids do.

That was the movie that I watched a lot. Rented it a couple months back and well, my youth wasn't too far off from those crazy kids. That was Matt Dillon's first film. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ha, check this out from wiki:

In a "lost interview" between Eddie Van Halen and journalist Steve Rosen, when the Van Halen guitarist was discussing the song "Light Up the Sky," he explained that "Warner Bros. is financing some movie, and they wanted us to write the theme song for it and we were thinking of using that song."[5] While not mentioning the movie by name, later in the interview he describes it as "A neat movie - everyone's going to relate to that. It's high school kids up north in New Granada, some new housing development. They destroy everything, they lock it...they had a PTA meeting, because all the parents were getting together to talk about their problems they were having with all the students and kids destroying the town. And then while all the people were in there, they lock them in, they chain the doors with all the cops inside and stuff. They went out and started smashing the cars and blowing everything up - it was insane. It was supposed to be true, too. It was supposed to be a true story. So I think maybe the title of that kind of sprung from that. Because it was a real trippy movie, and it would be a good title calling it ‘Light Up the Sky.’ Because the last scene of the movie was heavy, boy - it’s just a big flash of flame type of thing."[6] Ultimately, the band opted not to give the song to the film, because Van Halen says in the same interview, "We went and saw a screening of the flick...and it ain't gonna win no Academy Award or nothing."[7] Instead, the song was included on the album Van Halen II.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

41Q9NQZZ5ZL.jpg

fucking thing appeared on public television all the time, anad i guess the premise of the beginning of the movie was pretty intriguing and memorable how he took a bus to the purgatory place and learned he was to be judged

I really enjoyed the movie - Albert Brooks was perfect in the role.  Rip Torn is pretty funny as well.

We didn't have even basic cable growing up, but it seemed like whenever we'd stay the night at my uncle's house in the mid-80's...this movie was always on HBO:

sidenote---and while the execution of the film's idea was atrocious, "Over the Edge" had a decent premise and a kickass soundtrack.  

Edited by Lobo

Anyone remember Amazon Women on the Moon? I remember first seeing it cause my dad was laughing his ass off so i came into the living room to see what it was all about. Fucking hilarious.

and early 90's movie (93) Airborne? Not sure why i liked that movie but i did. Fucking inline skating back in the day. 

• Like 1

The movie that single most freaked me out as a kid was "I Saw What You Did (and I Know Who You Are)."

This was made long before Caller ID when innocent young kids could prank call random people and have a good time... unless you call the wrong number at the wrong time. No, the refrigerator isn't running... it's DEAD!