Markets still falling like whoa

On 1/2/2024 at 12:22 PM, Wally Fairway said:

I like SPY, because it is actively traded. So that is what I have in my account that I play in the options market; for long term investments I have VOO and some FXAIX, depending on where the funds are sitting.

Wally, et al

-if someone was interested in buying into VOO and FXAIX as a long term investment should they worry about buying with indexes at or near all time highs? or spread this initial purchasing out over some time period?

-asking for a friend

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dish Boggett said:

Wally, et al

-if someone was interested in buying into VOO and FXAIX as a long term investment should they worry about buying with indexes at or near all time highs? or spread this initial purchasing out over some time period?

-asking for a friend

Who are you to ask the Mighty Oz?

Spoiler

If you are a long term investor, then you should invest, if you are worried that the fund may drop then DCA over 6-12 months if you are talking about a large sum of money. But I have learned that you can't time the market. And if you think you can then you are wrong, or maybe you have been lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Love it. The run-up has been ridiculous and long in the tooth. Would love a 5-7% drop to toss money in.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

4 hours ago, Dish Boggett said:

Wally, et al

-asking for a friend

depending on the relative size of the purchase, spread it out.  If it's 1% of your net worth, buy it all today. If it's 75%, spread it out over 6 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Who are you to ask the Mighty Oz?

Reveal hidden contents

If you are a long term investor, then you should invest, if you are worried that the fund may drop then DCA over 6-12 months if you are talking about a large sum of money. But I have learned that you can't time the market. And if you think you can then you are wrong, or maybe you have been lucky. 

I am just a member from Ye' Old Shaggy of yester year that started a new business and family/kids about the time of the glorious melt down. I wasn't cool enough, smart enough or had the time to find the new site until recently. 

Initial impression of Surly is that the site is pretty much the same as the old site which is awesome. I love the running jokes and sense of humor. Glad I found it and hoping to merge back in gracefully.  

BTW how do i get access to the new NSAA?

Oh- thanks for the reply above. The business is doing well and for the first time in my life I have a decent amount of savings that I need to invest wisely and long term.

DB

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Meta up 20% today.

Big turnaround since I bought it (last year?). At one point, was down 30%, now up 100%.

Almost a quarter of its all-time-high gained in a single day. 

i thought i was smart when i bought it around 100 and sold off around 200….

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

SPYs about to hit $500.  That's crazy.  It was 337 before the pandemic, 228 at the trough.  so even if you bought at the very highest euphoric peak, and had to get the sads as you watched it drop 100, you're up 50% in 4 years.

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Meta up 20% today.

Big turnaround since I bought it (last year?). At one point, was down 30%, now up 100%.

BRK.b has hit all-time highs and is closing in on $400,  it was $362 at ye, and was at $169 in May 2020 Covid low.
(this one is of keen interest at I am holding BRK.b calls with $400 strikes that are close to being itm)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

nice pop for sure, i got in at $161.40 forever ago.  Its been a good one to hold

Is NDVA trajectory going to the moon? I have a CD maturing at the end of the month and looking for a home. I could put half of it in NVDA then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities.

19 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

BRK.b has hit all-time highs and is closing in on $400,  it was $362 at ye, and was at $169 in May 2020 Covid low.
(this one is of keen interest at I am holding BRK.b calls with $400 strikes that are close to being itm)

Bought 380 shares over the years at an average of $128.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

Meta up 20% today.

When do you start taking down the bets?  Do you play the same way you would when the hot lady, with fake tits has hit 5  numbers in a row at the Craps table?

Asking for future reference, if i am ever in the situation and all

3 hours ago, Dish Boggett said:

When do you start taking down the bets?  Do you play the same way you would when the hot lady, with fake tits has hit 5  numbers in a row at the Craps table?

Asking for future reference, if i am ever in the situation and all

Actually I'm not smart enough to day trade or sell puts/calls; and am more of a buy and hold guy. I've pretty much stuck with the household names and they've kept me in the black (except for Netflix, which has stabbed me in the back repeatedly)... My portfolio is primarily AAPL, AMZN, BRK'B. GOOG, MSFT, SBUX, META, TSM and some index fund EFTs. The under-performers are MNST (only because my sister works there), JNJ and MMM.

I don't try to time the market, and just dollar cost average in. I bought AAPL, AMZN and GOOG many years ago and have followed the mostly ups since then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:00 PM, Dish Boggett said:

Wally, et al

-asking for a friend

I bought 1,120 shares of VOO this month. Just get in the game.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/3/2023 at 2:01 PM, Trey3216 said:

...Consumer credit card debt at all time high near $1tn in an increasing rate environment ...

Credit card delinquencies surged more than 50% in 2023 as total consumer debt swelled to $17.5 trillion, the New York Federal Reserve reported Tuesday.

Debt that has transitioned into "serious delinquency," or 90 days or more past due, increased across multiple categories during the year, but none more so than credit cards.

With a total of $1.13 trillion in debt, credit card debt that moved into serious delinquency amounted to 6.4% in the fourth quarter, a 59% jump from just over 4% at the end of 2022, the New York Fed reported. The quarterly increase at an annualized pace was around 8.5%, New York Fed researchers said.

Delinquencies also rose in mortgages, auto loans and the "other" category. Student loan delinquencies moved lower as did home equity lines of credit. Overall, 1.42% of debt was 90 days or more past due, up from just over 1% at the end of 2022.
While the rise in delinquencies happening from low levels, the trend "bears watching because it is happening while the economy is still growing," said Joseph LaVorgna, chief economist at SMBC Nikko Securities.

"What happens if the economy slows and unemployment quickly rises? Delinquencies could surge, in turn leading to a self-reinforcing credit crunch," LaVorgna said in a note. "In other words, a mild downturn could turn into a deep one."

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/06/credit-card-delinquencies-surged-in-2023-indicating-financial-stress-new-york-fed-says.html

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bernorange said:

People are using credit cards to pay for emergencies or to close any gap due to inflation. Some can not or will not change their lifestyle.

Not to mention that once you start down the cycle of high interest debt, many can not escape unless they have a high income. When people get their CC debt to 25% or 50% of their annual income, I don't think there is any math that gets them out of it easily. Some are higher than 50%.

42 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Tickling 5,000...

Jebus - are you new here?
First rule of investing is we don't talk about investing.
Okay - this early 2024 market must surly be getting to the point of over-heated, but I hate to sell into a stupid run up, to only realized I was too early after it runs up another 25%

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

nothing like being a pretentious douche while seated directly adjacent to the entrance to the kitchen.  The stunning view of warming lights really amplifies the experience.

You realize sitting close to/in the kitchen is actually a flex at that level, right?

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

nothing like being a pretentious douche while seated directly adjacent to the entrance to the kitchen.  The stunning view of warming lights really amplifies the experience.

I love it. The next time my daughters drag me to Olive Garden, I’m going to order a bottle of Santa Margherita and do the whole bit. 

• Haha 2

that reaction to ARM's earning report is something else.

Beat on Q4 Revs (up 14% YoY @$824M). Beat on Non-GAAP earnings ($0.29 actual vs $0.22 forecast)
Guided top end of FY24 revenue up 4%
Guided top end of FY24earnings up 12%
Stock up 60%( FWD PE over 100)

Their stock gained $45B in market cap after announcing they are expecting an extra $140M in earnings next year. This is becoming one of the bigger chip bubbles I can remember. Crazy shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

that reaction to ARM's earning report is something else.

Beat on Q4 Revs (up 14% YoY @$824M). Beat on Non-GAAP earnings ($0.29 actual vs $0.22 forecast)
Guided top end of FY24 revenue up 4%
Guided top end of FY24earnings up 12%
Stock up 60%( FWD PE over 100)

Their stock gained $45B in market cap after announcing they are expecting an extra $140M in earnings next year. This is becoming one of the bigger chip bubbles I can remember. Crazy shit. 

I think it's also being carried by the Windows on ARM developments, which could really cut the legs out from under the consumer x86 market