Pharmaceutic Frat Boys Foiled by Feds

Etexhorn13

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Title seems misleading unless I'm missing a reference to a fraternity being involved. 

Generally, people selling drugs are doing the drugs themselves. Or have at the very least done them before. So not only do moral justifications arise such as: "it's fine, I tried it","it's cool, I do it all the time","you're good, I used to do it a bunch" they are coupled with/exacerbated by impaired thinking.

Now, as @XYZ brought up if, if you're selling drugs simply to put food on the table, because you HAVE to and can't find another way to make a living, you might not even care.

And then you have things like weed or psychedelics that aren't really dangerous or ruin people's lives anyway so there's really no justification needed other than the legal risk involved.

I have personal anecdotes that part of me would like to share but I'm not quite comfortable doing so.

Alliteration is more important than facts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Title seems misleading unless I'm missing a reference to a fraternity being involved. 
Generally, people selling drugs are doing the drugs themselves. Or have at the very least done them before. So not only do moral justifications arise such as: "it's fine, I tried it","it's cool, I do it all the time","you're good, I used to do it a bunch" they are coupled with/exacerbated by impaired thinking.
Now, as [mention=221]XYZ[/mention] brought up if, if you're selling drugs simply to put food on the table, because you HAVE to and can't find another way to make a living, you might not even care.
And then you have things like weed or psychedelics that aren't really dangerous or ruin people's lives anyway so there's really no justification needed other than the legal risk involved.
I have personal anecdotes that part of me would like to share but I'm not quite comfortable doing so.

To be a dope man, first you must qualify. You don’t get high off your own supply.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

I struggle a bit with weed sales being totally victimless unless you know where your supply is coming from. Cartels still have their hand in the weed supply chain and those folks are very, very harmful to many people on both sides of the border. Of course, this is one of the big reasons to legitimize and regulate the sale of weed, but until the cartels are eliminated from the supply chain, weed sales are not victimless in my mind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I struggle a bit with weed sales being totally victimless unless you know where your supply is coming from. Cartels still have their hand in the weed supply chain and those folks are very, very harmful to many people on both sides of the border. Of course, this is one of the big reasons to legitimize and regulate the sale of weed, but until the cartels are eliminated from the supply chain, weed sales are not victimless in my mind.

Shiiiiit, buying Tomatoes ain’t victimless when you consider the slave labor brought in to harvest produce. I think the victimless comment was about the user doesn’t end up dead in the gutter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

What @Neonmoon said. And I never used the word "victimless". 

Either way, cartels being part of the supply chain is not Joe Q dimebag seller's problem. I would contend that it is mostly the fault of the American and Mexican federal governments, and if you're going to put blood on anyone's hands it should be lawmakers and cartel members waaaaay before small time dealers and users.

Apologies if that is getting too political. 

Wasn't quoting you with the word victimless. Didn't intend for it to come off that way, but understand how it could. Was just putting my thoughts out there on a subject I often struggle with.

The drugs themselves may be harmless, but the supply chain is highly harmful. While I do agree with you on placing fault on the US and Mexican federal government, I do disagree with you on it not being Joe Q dimebag seller's problem. If you're selling a product that has the blood of others on it, you are culpable. It's an uncomfortable fact for many, but it's still a fact in my mind. Legalize and regulate the supply chain and put the cartels out of business.

56 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Shiiiiit, buying Tomatoes ain’t victimless when you consider the slave labor brought in to harvest produce. I think the victimless comment was about the user doesn’t end up dead in the 

You can easily ensure the tomatoes sold at a local farmer's market are harvested without slave labor. Know your supply chain and it shouldn't be terribly hard to ensure that fellow human beings aren't suffering because of decisions we make as consumers. Unfortunately, there are way too many examples of human exploitation.

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

The drugs themselves may be harmless, but the supply chain is highly harmful. While I do agree with you on placing fault on the US and Mexican federal government, I do disagree with you on it not being Joe Q dimebag seller's problem. If you're selling a product that has the blood of others on it, you are culpable. It's an uncomfortable fact for many, but it's still a fact in my mind. Legalize and regulate the supply chain and put the cartels out of business.

Agree. The marijuana industry (legal sale) is growing rapidly in the US. The end of the marijuana-prohibition century is coming quickly. There will be laggards, but I personally doubt Texas will be the last state to legalize and sell recreational pot - but who knows.

32 minutes ago, royiv said:

If you're selling a product that has the blood of others on it, you are culpable.

Eh, technically I guess. You're just as culpable for buying diamonds or gold jewelry or an iPhone. But I've always thought blaming the consumer for moral issues up the supply chain is kind of silly - I understand that many people disagree with that assertion. 

I also think you're probably overestimating how much pot in America comes from Mexico in 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But I've always thought blaming the consumer for moral issues up the supply chain is kind of silly - I understand that many people disagree with that assertion. 

Don't disagree. Note that I didn't mention the consumer in my reply to you. I mentioned the seller and the need for sellers of a product to understand their supply chain.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Don't disagree. Note that I didn't mention the consumer in my reply to you. I mentioned the seller and the need for sellers of a product to understand their supply chain.

Sounds like you just want the corruption out of the supply chain. 

That is rational for any consumer product.

Markets thrive with certainty.

Edited by washparkhorn

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I also think you're probably overestimating how much pot in America comes from Mexico in 2020.

Is that true with legal supply - grown in the US? I would imagine we are producing a hell of a lot of MJ as a commercial crop. No?  It is a growing industry in the states who have legalized recreational adult use with identification. The financial markets are getting thirsty for it. Infrastructure is being built in other states.

Texas could handle Medical Marijuana (licensed providers recommending).  But I do know there's drama with that - since a seed used to mean prison time in Texas for far too many people for far too long. (and if you drink a glass of wine a night . . ., you already have your own version of, so cheers!)). 

And in the end, how often do we get to watch emerging markets grow.

Greenshoots, circa 2020

Edited by washparkhorn

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Is that true with legal supply - grown in the US? I would imagine we are producing a hell of a lot of MJ as a commercial crop. No?  It is a growing industry in the states who have legalized recreational adult us with identification. The financial markets are getting thirsty for it. Infrastructure is being built in other states. Texas could handle Medical Marijuana (licensed providers recommending).  But I do know there's drama with that - since a seed used to mean prison time in Texas for far too many people. 

And how often do we get to watch emerging markets grow.

Greenshoots, circa 2020

In Texas I can't recall the last time I purchased something locally that wasn't from CA, CO, or locally grown. I haven't seen anything from Mexico in ages (7-8 years maybe?). I'm sure some people here still sell weed from Mexico here but I sure haven't seen it in a long time. 

As for financial markets getting thirsty for it, that ship sailed years ago and has gone up/down quite a bit the last few years. 

Edited by KaiserSoze

30 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

As for financial markets getting thirsty for it, that ship sailed years ago and has gone up/down quite a bit the last few years. 

Agree. Volatile. And if the green shoot becomes a tall poppy - well that ends poorly.

Edited by washparkhorn

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Shiiiiit, buying Tomatoes ain’t victimless when you consider the slave labor brought in to harvest produce. I think the victimless comment was about the user doesn’t end up dead in the gutter. 

And cartel shitheads have strongarmed their way into most avocado production, too. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-avocado-consumption-helping-mexican-drug-cartels-border-guns-2020-2

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Sounds like you just want the corruption out of the supply chain. 

That is rational for any consumer product.

Markets thrive with certainty.

Exactly.

You shouldn't have to show up at somebody's workplace, go into their office unannounced, pull out your phone, and casually show them videos of their kids playing at school, or videos of their mom at her weekly bingo game, and explain how you've charmed their mom to the point where you sit in on those games next to her, or worse, videos of her bedroom and....well, you get the idea on where that's going, I'm a civilized person and won't explain how you a 65 year-old woman may need a little lube, since post-menopause, dryness is an issue, and she's a lady and you wouldn't want her to be in pain.  What I'm saying is, you shouldn't have to explain what you will do to their kids or their mom if they decide to bail on your side hustle, or even worse snitch.

You should be able to shake hands, trade emails, come up with business plans, put it up on the whiteboard without somebody accidentally seeing it and losing their shit.  Basically, you should be able to be civilized about it.

43 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And cartel shitheads have strongarmed their way into most avocado production, too. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-avocado-consumption-helping-mexican-drug-cartels-border-guns-2020-2

For 6  years in my former life I was directly affected by this. Thankfully I retired from 21 years in the food manufacturing and beverage industry. Not old enough to start collecting  on it yet so now I'm treading water in a completely unrelated field that allows me to work EXACTLY 40 convenient hours per week

On 12/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, washparkhorn said:

Is that true with legal supply - grown in the US? I would imagine we are producing a hell of a lot of MJ as a commercial crop. No?  It is a growing industry in the states who have legalized recreational adult use with identification. The financial markets are getting thirsty for it. Infrastructure is being built in other states.

Texas could handle Medical Marijuana (licensed providers recommending).  But I do know there's drama with that - since a seed used to mean prison time in Texas for far too many people for far too long. (and if you drink a glass of wine a night . . ., you already have your own version of, so cheers!)). 

And in the end, how often do we get to watch emerging markets grow.

Greenshoots, circa 2020

Oh, yeah. I was talking about "illegal" weed. I would be shocked if less than 90% of recreational weed sold legally here is grown out of the country. I'm not super well versed in the import laws surrounding it, but it seems like the FDA wouldn't want a state importing Marijuana from a country where it is still federally illegal.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, Gourmand said:

So she got popped and has been cooperating with the authorities since the beginning of the year and then they arrested her again so it looks legit.

10 hours ago, LebongJames said:

So she got popped and has been cooperating with the authorities since the beginning of the year and then they arrested her again so it looks legit.

Which makes her more fortunate than the other two working with police who died using the supply

On 12/5/2020 at 5:01 PM, royiv said:

You can easily ensure the tomatoes sold at a local farmer's market are harvested without slave labor. Know your supply chain and it shouldn't be terribly hard to ensure that fellow human beings aren't suffering because of decisions we make as consumers. Unfortunately, there are way too many examples of human exploitation.

I’m on board. I try to do my best. It’s just putting a lot of responsibility on the consumer. Most people don’t how tomatoes are grown much less where, by whom, and if there is unfair labor practices.   I would think the same is true for avocados, marijuana, or any other mass produced product. iPhones is another great example. My point being, forming a narrative that marijuana is a tarnished or product because of unfair labor practices in the supply chain is a little unfair when many other products consumed by Americans suffer the same issues. If you argue that violence is what separates marijuana from avocado production, then look at the link previously posted. It’s become the same as a drug. Owned by rival cartels. Most Americans aren’t feeling guilty when they make avocado toast. I’m not saying it’s right or it should be this way, I’m just saying we shouldn’t view marijuana any differently. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.wral.com/hard-drugs-pervasive-in-some-fraternities-21-charged-with-links-to-unc-duke-app/19434025/

Not worth its own thread, so i'll drop this in here. Shocking to know that weed and drugs are still quite popular on the college scene. This quote jumped out at me: 

Poindexter, who is a member of Phi Gamma Delta, also said all 22 members of his fraternity pledge class "went in" to purchase an ounce of cocaine for spring break during his sophomore year.

Say it ain't so Poindexter. An entire ounce??? 

giphy.gif 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, royiv said:

Wasn't quoting you with the word victimless. Didn't intend for it to come off that way, but understand how it could. Was just putting my thoughts out there on a subject I often struggle with.

I'm not really sure regulation is even that necessary for it. The cartels are there because it's illegal. Legalize it and the supply chain will find cheaper legal sources. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:27 PM, Brisketexan said:

Benny Daneshjou (the developer who ended up in litigation with Sandra Bullock over her totally screwed up house) is one of the defendants here.  UT students involved.  Based on current scuttlebutt in other circles, I have to wonder how Kendra Scott is connected to one of the players here.  Because that's how things seem to be going in Austin/UT 2020.

In fact, the way I read this.....Benny Daneshjou is going to be our new football coach.  It's done.

Do I need to fire up the Beechcraft?