Texas opens as an 11 point favorite v Colorado

TexasMan

16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Luckily the Longhorn players get all these extra bowl practices to improve and get a leg up for future seasons.

Oh wait, I forgot for a second that the coaches suck ass and the players get worse the longer they are around them.

I still have faith in Chris Ash getting the defense to play better with time. Offense and ST? Not so much.

Agree with all of the Colorado PTSD comments.   Don’t believe the line as Herman will find a way to barely win or f it up. But even with even 70-3 drubbing, I still hate those bastards. 

Remember yelling at Skippy and crew in ‘90 from the student section... ‘94 Horns team played their guts out... 2001 - Saw Simms kick ass in game 1. (Shovel pass worked all day).. Big12CS walking into Texas Stadium thought the stars were aligned for a big surprise until he shit the bed.  Both times screamed for Major in the stands with most around me (Sr. curtain call first game and to save our collective asses in CS game). ..the Major call was very loud both games.  I thought we’d recover until the damn punt.    

So would love for Sam and Co. to hand the Puffaloes their asses ...followed by a Herman departure.....

Thread continues to deliver with the cuttings, somebody already did Salaam, that was mine.

17 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I was at this game. Tickets were my Christmas present. Apple white went down close to where we were setting.

For the 01 champ game, I was being wingman for a buddy of mine at a bowling alley. I was pissed I was missing the game, but a different friend was taping it for me. I kept wondering over to watch the game. I think I saw every Simms int. I saw Ced and Williams try to kill each other. Saw most of the comeback. Saw Geigar rough the punter. Never bothered actually watching the tape. I think it’s still under the seat of my truck where I put it.

Can't decide if I'm going with

1) Jesus man, get a new truck

2) Pics of truck?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I was at the Texas CU game in Austin in 90. Despite it being a loss, that was a hell of a game. DKR was rocking in the third quarter. Surprised it isn't on YouTube anywhere. 

Shock The Nation Tour was a pretty fun run aside from the Cotton vs Miami.  Which is why I wouldn’t have minded facing __iaz in the cheez-it to help exercise that demon....but sure Herman would’ve crapped his pants on that matchup somehow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Shock The Nation Tour was a pretty fun run aside from the Cotton vs Miami.  Which is why I wouldn’t have minded facing __iaz in the cheez-it to help exercise that demon....but sure Herman would’ve crapped his pants on that matchup somehow.  

Exercise the demon should be a thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

I was at the Texas CU game in Austin in 90. Despite it being a loss, that was a hell of a game. DKR was rocking in the third quarter. Surprised it isn't on YouTube anywhere. 

If there were a TV network devoted to nothing but Longhorn sports, old games like that obviously would get aired again as the bowl matchup approaches. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Who was that skier that was a really good kick returner for the buffs? What happened to that guy?

As Dewey said, it was Jeremy Bloom. His sister was the main person featured in the movie Molly's Game, and his brother is a thoracic surgeon somewhere in the Northeast. His dad was my doctoral advisor in grad school. He and Jeremy went up to Keystone every weekend and ran the same mogul run all weekend long. Just a completely focused (obsessed?) father and son, but very good to work with and I'm not surprised at all with the success that Jeremy had.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

As Dewey said, it was Jeremy Bloom. His sister was the main person featured in the movie Molly's Game, and his brother is a thoracic surgeon somewhere in the Northeast. His dad was my doctoral advisor in grad school. He and Jeremy went up to Keystone every weekend and ran the same mogul run all weekend long. Just a completely focused (obsessed?) father and son, but very good to work with and I'm not surprised at all with the success that Jeremy had.

That's actually a cool story, bro.  Didn't know you were a PhD.  Respek.

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

I knew about Molly, but having a connection is a cool story. 

LINE IS DOWN TO 9.5pts...

TWO ESPN analysts 'confident in Texas over Colorado' in the Alamo Bowl
December 25, 2020 8:38 pm

Just days out from the Valero Alamo Bowl and the Texas Longhorns getting back on the football field. Their last game came on Dec. 5 against the Kansas State Wildcats. Following the 69-31 victory, Texas had an issue with COVID-19 positive cases that caused them to cancel their season finale with Kansas. It will have been 24 days since they took the field when they kick off their bowl game.

Now all focus shifts to the Colorado Buffaloes, a team the Longhorns haven’t played since 2009. In that matchup, It was the Jordan Shipley show, scoring one touchdown through the air from a Colt McCoy pass and another on a punt return. Texas as a whole has won the last five games against Colorado and lead the all-time series 11-7.

According to two ESPN analysts, buy stock in the Longhorns for this game. Former Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback who won a National Championship in that 2009 season didn’t pull any punches when he gave Texas one of the highest confidence picks of bowl season. Texas received 26 in the confidence grade of a possible 28.

“When given the opportunity to pick against a Pac-12 team in the postseason, you do it,” McElroy said Monday during Bowl Mania. “With all due respect to Colorado, I’m not a believer in the Pac-12. From top to bottom this year, it was a league that was rather bothersome with the quality of play all over the place. I think Texas is angry and also fed up with the fact they had Oklahoma on the ropes earlier in the season. Now, Texas has obviously played well in bowl games under Tom Herman, but in order to try and thrust their way back into the conversation atop the Big 12 — which they usually are, wasn’t the case this year — they make a statement and dominate Colorado much like they did Utah last year.” per 247Sports

McElroy wasn’t the only one that thought of the Utah game from a season ago when making their picks for the game.

My worst bowl pick last year was Utah over Texas, as the Longhorns thoroughly dominated the Alamo Bowl. Colorado isn’t as good as Utah in 2019, but the Buffaloes will be extremely motivated after having three games canceled because of COVID-19 issues and Pac-12 ineptitude. Texas has had several key opt-outs, but quarterback Sam Ehlinger will be on the field for most likely his final game in burnt orange. Colorado’s backfield of Sam Noyer and Jarek Broussard will stress an improved Texas defense. Although I’m a bit concerned about the Longhorns’ motivation, it’s hard to go against the more talented team under Tom Herman (4-0 in bowls) playing close to home, especially after last year’s result.

Texas 37, Colorado 27– per ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg

*Editor’s Note: link requires paid ESPN+ subsription 

The lastest odds have the Longhorns favored by 9.5.

19 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Boulder is certainly a better trip than Lawerence and Manhattan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true, in positive thoughts I saw the VY game there. CU alums and students I talked to were chill, RV tailgating was pretty good, stadium is really cool.

Zone Read and QB power worked that day like the CU defense had never seen that before. Buff fans in my section were very complimentary of our QB. /bde csb

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/25/2020 at 1:01 PM, Griff said:

Agree with all of the Colorado PTSD comments.   Don’t believe the line as Herman will find a way to barely win or f it up. But even with even 70-3 drubbing, I still hate those bastards. 

Remember yelling at Skippy and crew in ‘90 from the student section... ‘94 Horns team played their guts out... 2001 - Saw Simms kick ass in game 1. (Shovel pass worked all day).. Big12CS walking into Texas Stadium thought the stars were aligned for a big surprise until he shit the bed.  Both times screamed for Major in the stands with most around me (Sr. curtain call first game and to save our collective asses in CS game). ..the Major call was very loud both games.  I thought we’d recover until the damn punt.    

So would love for Sam and Co. to hand the Puffaloes their asses ...followed by a Herman departure.....

Couldn't get to the game  so I watched it on TV with my 4 roommates and some friends. When we lost I just got up and walked out of the room and slammed my door. Thru the wall I could hear one of my roommates say “Ok, well I just want everyone to know that I’m the 2nd maddest about this bullshit!”

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Haha 1

I was at that game (the Simms patent leather debacle).  My favorite part was after the game Mack blaming the loud booing (after Simms' 3rd interception and getting louder all the time after that) on "some drunk fans" who really weren't true UT orangebloods.

I laughed until I cried.

On 12/25/2020 at 2:56 PM, TornACL said:

Surprised at that too, texassports.com says it was on ESPN. If the 1993 game is up there (an ESPN broadcast), you would think the 1989 and 1990 games would be as well. 

What might be happening is that a third party might be cockblocking the upload on YouTube. I have uploaded about a dozen non-UT football games to YT over the years, sans commercials, and of those dozen exactly one got nuked by copyright claim (immediately after uploading), and it wasn't ESPN (the original broadcaster) that made the copyright claim. It was some cocksucker third party making the claim on ESPN's behalf. 

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Couldn't get to the game  so I watched it on TV with my 4 roommates and some friends. When we lost I just got up and walked out of the room and slammed my door. Thru the wall I could hear one of my roommates say “Ok, well I just want everyone to know that I’m the 2nd maddest about this bullshit!”

On the way out of the stadium I did see an obnoxious drunk Colorado fan piss off the wrong Longhorn.  (Think he groped the dude’s girlfriend or wife).   One punch/drop moment later it was over.... so there was that. 

I was at that game (the Simms patent leather debacle).  My favorite part was after the game Mack blaming the loud booing (after Simms' 3rd interception and getting louder all the time after that) on "some drunk fans" who really weren't true UT orangebloods.

I laughed until I cried.

That’s right up there with Mack wanting to answer questions for Simms.

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

line should go all of the way down to 7.5, imo.  Only reason for the half a point is the two point conversion.  If there were no two point conversion I would predict the line to go down to 7.0. 

There's no way it gets to 7.5. Sitting at 9.5 right now. 

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Strike up the aggy war hymn!

If we lose, that's 11 straight years with at least four losses.  

Here is the all-time Top Ten in win %, with their respective longest streak of four-loss seasons in parentheses:

1) Ohio State (5)

(tie) Michigan (4)

3) Notre Dame (7)

4) Alabama (5)

5) Oklahoma (6)

6) Texas (10, current)

7) USC (6)

8) Nebraska (17, current)

9) Penn State (6)

10) Tennessee (16, current)

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Here is the all-time Top Ten in win %, with their respective longest streak of four-loss seasons in parentheses:

1) Ohio State (5)

(tie) Michigan (4)

3) Notre Dame (7)

4) Alabama (5)

5) Oklahoma (6)

6) Texas (10, current)

7) USC (6)

😎 Nebraska (17, current)

9) Penn State (6)

10. Fuuuuuuuck. That makes me sad and ragey at the same time 

7 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

1) Ohio State (5)

(tie) Michigan (4)

3) Notre Dame (7)

4) Alabama (5)

5) Oklahoma (6)

6) Texas (10, current)

7) USC (6)

😎 Nebraska (17, current)

9) Penn State (6)

This is what we needed to see, proof that we really are Tennessee.  I used to laugh when people said we were the other UT.  There is no laughing now.  I don't have it right now, but I once read on wiki that during the 2008 or 2009 season we were up there tied with Notre Dame, probably with actual number of total wins all-time, and we were behind only Michigan.  We have fallen so far off the map that we need speculation about the star-free agent coach to get us even thinking about being in the top 10 again.  We are literally one Coach of a Generation hiring away from "owning a house in the top 10", as Mack used to say.  

10 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

This is what we needed to see, proof that we really are Tennessee.  I used to laugh when people said we were the other UT.  There is no laughing now.  I don't have it right now, but I once read on wiki that during the 2008 or 2009 season we were up there tied with Notre Dame, probably with actual number of total wins all-time, and we were behind only Michigan.  We have fallen so far off the map that we need speculation about the star-free agent coach to get us even thinking about being in the top 10 again.  We are literally one Coach of a Generation hiring away from "owning a house in the top 10", as Mack used to say.  

Really....

Tennessee 4 year record.... 20-27

Texas four year record 31-18

Not even fucking close.

Try again.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

It's crazy that we are two days away from the "Texas Longhorn Every Year Bowl" and there isn't jack shit in terms of coverage on this game from local media.

Everyone knows this is just whistling past the graveyard. A lackluster bowl game for a lackluster team.

That's right.

I had to look up the schedule to make sure I hadn't missed the game.  

Now,  if I can just remember to turn it on tomorrow I can finally put an end to this season.