Texas opens as an 11 point favorite v Colorado

TexasMan

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I was there and I blame Mack for sticking with him to long. Yet I first blame even trying to pass when we are running for chunks about to go up 14  - 0. Then Applewhite brings us back and Mack calls for a punt block instead of setting up the return when the offense can't be stopped.

he didn't call for the punt block...he covered for his player later.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I was there and I blame Mack for sticking with him to long. Yet I first blame even trying to pass when we are running for chunks about to go up 14  - 0. Then Applewhite brings us back and Mack calls for a punt block instead of setting up the return when the offense can't be stopped.

Me too. That's what happened. We were rolling on the ground, headed for our third score - ON THE GROUND - at about the CO thirty, when Goddamn Greg DAvis calls a pass in the flat, which is picked off and run back to the Texas five or so yard line. Once the Buffaloes scored, why we had o choice but to go to our vaunted lateral three yard passing attack.

That's exactly how Mack Brown for years let shit teams like North Texas play us close. Instead of continuing to pound our opponents, they'd go to their cutesy passing bullshit.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah so glad we didn't win a conference championship and gone to the national title game. We have so many of those it would have been totally lame to lose to one of the greatest College teams ever.

You are all sick fucks. Nothing good came of that day and it should never be spoken of again.

That win would have increased our conference championships and national championship appearances since the beginning of the millennium by 50%.  Nobody needs that shit!

• Rage+1 1

Yeah, Alamo Bowl at the same time, date, and television station as was announced almost 12 months ago regardless of pandemic.  They could have also announced another Texas Longhorn team would be participating in it because that's our ceiling as a program.  Only variable was who from the Pac-12 we'd be playing.  4 Alamo Bowls in 8 years.  These are the days!  How many tens of millions of dollars is this mediocrity gonna cost us?  

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

why is it that nobody remembers that Phillip Geiger roughed the punter when we were only down 1 score and just stuffed Colorado on 3rd  & 8. We were getting the ball back when Major was red fucking hot... instead CU gets the ball on our 25. runs 2 mins off the clock and kicks the FG to make it a 2 score game with 2 mins left... i.e. ballgame...

Nope, haven't forgotten that either.

For some reason I watched the highlights of this game on Youtube recently (holy shit Simms!) and Geiggar was easily in position to block the punt but was basically too close and on top of the punter when he kicked it and the guy was able to get it away.  Yeah we would have gotten beat by Miami and the Holiday bowl against Washington was extremely memorable (Major comeback and DJ coming out party), but fuck just another time we failed to win the Big 12 when we absolutely should have.

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he didn't call for the punt block...he covered for his player later.

This is what I recall. 

There were also about a dozen other plays that fucked us as much as the blocked punt fail and Simms TOs including several converted 3rd downs by them running Chris Brown right up our asses.  Ugh and Mike Williams and Ced taking each other out after a Simms pick. Major taking a bad sack on 3rd down to force a longer fg we ended up missing.  Shit.

9 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Nope, haven't forgotten that either.

For some reason I watched the highlights of this game on Youtube recently (holy shit Simms!) and Geiggar was easily in position to block the punt but was basically too close and on top of the punter when he kicked it and the guy was able to get it away.  Yeah we would have gotten beat by Miami and the Holiday bowl against Washington was extremely memorable (Major comeback and DJ coming out party), but fuck just another time we failed to win the Big 12 when we absolutely should have.

I went to Boulder to watch us lose with Ricky Williams I believe. We had the game wrapped up when some Longhorn player late-hit a Buffalo, long after the play had ended. Cost us the game.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

24 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well I will take Mack's word that he felt they could get a block. I guess it is not worth it to go back and reed what exactly what was said. It is painful enough as it is.

if you(want to) look at the video.  geiggar come thru basically unblocked.  initially he isn't even rushing hard and he's really the only one that tries to come upfield(there is an outside guy who looks to be just checking for possible fake responsibilities)  I think he was shocked he was unblocked and kept going.   the crazy thing is had he gone all the way hard he probably would have blocked it easily.

I appreciate that Mack fell on the sword for his player who tried to make a play.  He knew what it meant.  he didn't lose us the game(simms and mack did) but it kept us from having a real good chance to win it.  Craig Curry part deux.  Geiggar's name hardly ever comes up and that's due to Mack. Its what good coaches do. I like Akers but Akers should have done the same thing for Curry, made a public statement, that he told the players to field the punt.

anyway, back to Colorado.  I'm for a shutout this time.  the FG still pisses me off.

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Cedric Benson was running at will.

24 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Buffs are 4-1.  Tanned, rested, and ready.  They have more film on us than we do on them.  We win by 7 at the most.  Line comes down to 7 and 1/2 by the 29th. 

Lol@TR&R but still

24 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10833955

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I went to Boulder to watch us lose with Ricky Williams I believe. We had the game wrapped up when some Longhorn player late-hit a Buffalo, long after the play had ended. Cost us the game.

So your memory of watching a game in Boulder with Ricky williams is a bit hazy for some reason?  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

We may have been a team of destiny. First OU loses against OSU when they had no business losing. Then that day all the teams in front of us lose to even be in that position. Then Mack and Simms throw it away. Yes we would have gotten our ass kicked but that would have been the hope.

I am confident we would have fared much better than Nebraska did, but that 01 Miami team was gangsta.

I was in New Zealand, of all places, when that 2001 disaster occurred. I wasn't even trying to keep up with the game, because access to scores was hard to come by, and I knew we were going to win in a romp anyway. Finally stopped at some internet cafe (ah, the wired world of 19 years ago) and was able to find the score. Could. Not. Believe. It. 

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah so glad we didn't win a conference championship and gone to the national title game. We have so many of those it would have been totally lame to lose to one of the greatest College teams ever.

You are all sick fucks. Nothing good came of that day and it should never be spoken of again.

I had to drive back to Austin right after the game because my wife and a friend that road with us had to work the next day.  They slept while I fumed for four hours in silence.  One of the worst days ever.  

24 minutes ago, stork642 said:

We were at that 2001 game and one of the guys in our group was a Simms fanboy and just about stroked out when he was pulled for Applewhite.  It didn’t help that rest of us were all screaming to put Applewhite in the whole time.  

Was there in the end zone and had a serious drunk going on from all the games prior.    Never seen a game turn like that one with Simms meltdown.  Then the comeback with Major and the letdown at the end.  Absolutely exhausted walking out of the stadium at the end of the game.

That one stung but I’ve seen far worse performances in big games by the horns.  

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Aaron Humphrey. One of the stupidest penalties I ever saw.

What is wrong with you people? Shall we also talk about Eric Bieniemy in 1990 and Rashaan Salaam in 1994?

So many horrible Colorado memories to relive.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

70-3  🤘

That was a good day. There were lots of good days that year.

The 2005 Rose Bowl, the Elite Eight Basketball Season, the College Baseball National Championship, and then the entire 2005 College Football Season.

Some people say we are still stuck reliving 2005 but at least we had a 2005 unlike any other schools in Texas.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Aaron Humphrey. One of the stupidest penalties I ever saw.
What is wrong with you people? Shall we also talk about Eric Bieniemy in 1990 and Rashaan Salaam in 1994?
So many horrible Colorado memories to relive.

Walking across the field after the Rahsaan Salaam game, they announced his rushing stats - “Salaam, 317”. Massive collective groan.