Texas opens as an 11 point favorite v Colorado

TexasMan

16 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

As I recall Cedric and our best OL (Mike Williams maybe?) collided on that play and knocked them both out of the game.

One of the single most disastrous plays in UT history.

It's up there, but I still put it behind  Colt vs Bama, Gideon vs tech 08, and Curry vs Georgia.  Dammit, thanks for bringing up the subject.

54 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

As I recall Cedric and our best OL (Mike Williams maybe?) collided on that play and knocked them both out of the game.

The interesting thing about that play was the after effects.  Either we didn’t have medical expertise we have now or benson had a preexisting condition, because ced was not “ right” until at least latter part of 2002.  

As for the ranking of disasterous plays, there is an unknown play that gets my vote in top 5.

1. Curry fumble

2. Unknown play that ended Edwin Simmons’ 1983 season.  If we have a healthy Simmons hitting the hole, we beat Georgia by 2 TDs.  We found out a year or two later that Edwin’s legs were significantly different in height.  I always wondered why that wasn’t caught in a physical.  Reminds me of the UT freshman lineman who was found to have spinal stenosis during freshman physical...never played a down, was equivalent of a 4 star recruit...was it David Condom? I felt bad for the guy, but then read that Texas honored the 4 year scholarship...so he got a free education.

3.  Colt injury against bama.

4.  Combination of two Gideon plays..he caught the fake punt against bama, and dropped the int. Against Tech.  Reverse the two plays, and chances are very good we have a touchdown against bama, even with a colt injury, and of course a NC in 08.

Bottom line.  Gideon is the only player I can think of who is at least partially responsible for 2 missed national championships.

Do you think Gideon ever coaches at Texas?

Does anyone remember the backup running back. Might have been Ivan Williams. Benson going out with a concussion totally screwed up. Even with Simms if Benson played that game would have been over.  

But there was no reason to be so thin at Running Back especially considering Benson was a true freshman.

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

El Ced took a nasty hit on that play. It honestly looked like a potential spinal cord injury. He dove to make the tackle, but missed and speared 350# Mike Williams right in the chest while big Mike was heading in the opposite direction. 

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Crud. Can't edit. Should have said think you got the wrong guy.

Odd. Humphrey's late hit costing us the 1996 game in Boulder is burned in my memory. But I can't find a video of that game so I cannot yet clear his name and find the real culprit if I have it wrong.

That was a good day. There were lots of good days that year.
The 2005 Rose Bowl, the Elite Eight Basketball Season, the College Baseball National Championship, and then the entire 2005 College Football Season.
Some people say we are still stuck reliving 2005 but at least we had a 2005 unlike any other schools in Texas.
I moved to Austin in 05.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I was there and I blame Mack for sticking with him to long. Yet I first blame even trying to pass when we are running for chunks about to go up 14  - 0. Then Applewhite brings us back and Mack calls for a punt block instead of setting up the return when the offense can't be stopped.

I asked Mack in person that next summer at the Longhorns annual youth football camp why he started Simms instead of Applewhite and he said something along the lines of "well, Chris was the healthier QB so we wanted to go with him." Then some other bullshit excuse you tell a child. 

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I asked Mack in person that next summer at the Longhorns annual youth football camp why he started Simms instead of Applewhite and he said something along the lines of "well, Chris was the healthier QB so we wanted to go with him." Then some other bullshit excuse you tell a child. 

Damn, did you get a lifetime ban from the camp after that?  Our media never double-crossed Mack like that!

• Hook 'Em 1

If you want to bring up good years, you've got to start with 1968 when James Street replaced Bill Bradley at QB early in the season, I believe. We tied Houston in the next game, then went on to win 30 straight games. My frosh year in '74, I drew 50 yd line seats for UCLA at Memorial. 22 game streak on the line, top ranked. Dramatic comeback in fourth capped by 50 yd td pass with 12 seconds remaining. Eddie Phillips to Cotton Speyrer. A near riot ensued when the clock hit zero. Won another 7 or so before losing to the Irish in the Cotton Bowl after a nine-fumble performance. Our last drive ended at the Notre Dame ten or so.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

16 hours ago, Somnio said:

Oh for sure.  That roughing the kicker was just jaw droppingly stupid.  Texas had a conference championship, and trip to the national championship game slip through it's fingers.

Remember when GDGD and McCoy floated the ball out of bounds against Nebraska?  They almost accomplished the feat a second time. Fucking stupidity

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

If you want to bring up good years, you've got to start with 1968 when James Street replaced Bill Bradley at QB early in the season, I believe. We tied Houston in the next game, then went on to win 30 straight games. My frosh year in '74, I drew 50 yd line seats for UCLA at Memorial. 22 game streak on the line, top ranked. Dramatic comeback in fourth capped by 50 yd td pass with 12 seconds remaining. Eddie Phillips to Cotton Speyrer. Won another 7 or so before losing to the Irish in the Cotton Bowl after a nine-fumble performance. Our last drive ended at the Notre Dame ten or so.

You know you're getting old when you can't remember what years you were in college

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Sorry to hear about you being a fat kid.

Ha fair enough. On the contrary I was skinny as fuck. And Mad Dog didn't do much. Just sat in the office doing paperwork and other bs. The O line and D line coaches were the ones that ran the camp and were assisted by a few of the players. 

3 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Ah Texas Stadium. I can almost smell the spray on asbestos!

Did you go to that game with Frank Rizzo?  He put mustard on it, he ate the fucking shit.  Shit don't bother him.  

18 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

One of the 4 games I still have PTSD from.

Other3: 2008 Tech ;2009-10 Bama ;2014 arky

Add in the AR Cotton Bowl route.  Early morning kick off as usual.  Cold & hungover.  Applewhite get's his knees shredded, team get boat-raced, AR fans being typical AR fans.  Shit show from top to bottom.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

They could have also announced another Texas Longhorn team would be participating in it because that's our ceiling as a program.  Only variable was who from the Pac-12 we'd be playing.  4 Alamo Bowls in 8 years.  These are the days!  How many tens of millions of dollars is this mediocrity gonna cost us?  

tenor.gif 

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Ha fair enough. On the contrary I was skinny as fuck. And Mad Dog didn't do much. Just sat in the office doing paperwork and other bs. The O line and D line coaches were the ones that ran the camp and were assisted by a few of the players. 

Was he wearing a pair of these?

tenor.gif?itemid=7589630

• Haha 2

In case it has not been posted here is some detailed agonizing pain. Especially on My Bad #1. Why would you pass if the run has yet to be stopped.

On first down from the Colorado 22, Simms throws an interception to CU linebacker Aaron Killion, who returns it 75 yards to the UT 12.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2005/11/28/153820/61

19 hours ago, dcar00 said:

if you(want to) look at the video.  geiggar come thru basically unblocked.  initially he isn't even rushing hard and he's really the only one that tries to come upfield(there is an outside guy who looks to be just checking for possible fake responsibilities)  I think he was shocked he was unblocked and kept going.   the crazy thing is had he gone all the way hard he probably would have blocked it easily.

I appreciate that Mack fell on the sword for his player who tried to make a play.  He knew what it meant.  he didn't lose us the game(simms and mack did) but it kept us from having a real good chance to win it.  Craig Curry part deux.  Geiggar's name hardly ever comes up and that's due to Mack. Its what good coaches do. I like Akers but Akers should have done the same thing for Curry, made a public statement, that he told the players to field the punt.

anyway, back to Colorado.  I'm for a shutout this time.  the FG still pisses me off.

I have gone back and looked at the video (see 2:55) and Gieggar comes free as you say. The formation from an earlier punt (see second video below) that seems to setup the return, the players do things a little different. In the earlier punt #29 is lined up as a rusher from the start. On punt from hell he seems to fake that he is blocking the gunner and only comes into the picture last second causing an overload. Also, in the earlier punt as soon as #29 feels blocked he starts running back to setup the return on the play in question he keeps coming. Also, #9 (?) in an earlier punt turns to setup the return right away in the punt in question he keeps coming toward the line. It could be what you said and Mack fell on the sword or the video shows enough differences that a block punt was actually called or a third option.

New Option #3, Mack setup the return and players saw something in the blocking scheme that they had seen on tape that caused #29 to come in last second from blocking the gunner and it was just a reaction by a well coached team. We will never know, so now I can think of that play differently then I use too, so thanks for pointing it out.

See video at 4:44 for the standard "setup the return" formation on a punt.

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have gone back and looked at the video (see 2:55) and Gieggar comes free as you say. The formation from an earlier punt (see second video below) that seems to setup the return, the players do things a little different. In the earlier punt #29 is lined up as a rusher from the start. On punt from hell he seems to fake that he is blocking the gunner and only comes into the picture last second causing an overload. Also, in the earlier punt as soon as #29 feels blocked he starts running back to setup the return on the play in question he keeps coming. Also, #9 (?) in an earlier punt turns to setup the return right away in the punt in question he keeps coming toward the line. It could be what you said and Mack fell on the sword or the video shows enough differences that a block punt was actually called or a third option.

New Option #3, Mack setup the return and players saw something in the blocking scheme that they had seen on tape that caused #29 to come in last second from blocking the gunner and it was just a reaction by a well coached team. We will never know, so now I can think of that play differently then I use too, so thanks for pointing it out.

I went to this game. Most defeated I've ever felt at a game. Ever.

Partied hard the night before. Woke up at 6:30a to drive from College Station (gross) to Caldwell to meet up with several other Longhorns. Can't find my keys and my heads pounding from the night before. Where the FUCK are my keys?!? Go downstairs looking all over my 3 other roommates rooms trying to find my keys, then I hear something, outside. I open the side door exposing our long driveway and my truck is still running from the night before, with the driver side door open. 

Drive to Caldwell in time to meet the group that was trying to leave without me, but alas I make it. We drink the entire trip up to Dallas. Proceed to drink the entire time before walking in the stadium. The Game. It was a sea of burnt orange with 2 fucking sections in that entire stadium that had black and gold. Those two sections were so loud in the quiet stadium. Standing in line to get beers before kickoff and all of the tv's around the stadium are showing the Tennessee v LSU game. All I remember is that big ass Tennessee DL John Henderson crushing shit on his sideline he was so pissed off. Stars were aligning...

You know the rest, but I'll never forget sitting in my seat and being asked to leave by 3 different stadium staff before I could get up and walk out. I still have the program and ticket in a file drawer. I thought I would throw it away after the Rose Bowl and VY, but can't seem to let it go.

I feel the same disappointment with the possibility of Herman coaching in 2021. Fuck you, Tom.

TL:DR - 2001 Big XII Championship game was brutal in person.

33 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I went to this game. Most defeated I've ever felt at a game. Ever.

Partied hard the night before. Woke up at 6:30a to drive from College Station (gross) to Caldwell to meet up with several other Longhorns. Can't find my keys and my heads pounding from the night before. Where the FUCK are my keys?!? Go downstairs looking all over my 3 other roommates rooms trying to find my keys, then I hear something, outside. I open the side door exposing our long driveway and my truck is still running from the night before, with the driver side door open. 

Drive to Caldwell in time to meet the group that was trying to leave without me, but alas I make it. We drink the entire trip up to Dallas. Proceed to drink the entire time before walking in the stadium. The Game. It was a sea of burnt orange with 2 fucking sections in that entire stadium that had black and gold. Those two sections were so loud in the quiet stadium. Standing in line to get beers before kickoff and all of the tv's around the stadium are showing the Tennessee v LSU game. All I remember is that big ass Tennessee DL John Henderson crushing shit on his sideline he was so pissed off. Stars were aligning...

You know the rest, but I'll never forget sitting in my seat and being asked to leave by 3 different stadium staff before I could get up and walk out. I still have the program and ticket in a file drawer. I thought I would throw it away after the Rose Bowl and VY, but can't seem to let it go.

I feel the same disappointment with the possibility of Herman coaching in 2021. Fuck you, Tom.

TL:DR - 2001 Big XII Championship game was brutal in person.

I do remember the reverie that cascaded throughout the stadium upon the news that (I think it was FL or TN lost) and had we not shit the bed, we are in the MNC.  That was epic.  Then.....

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

fair enough.  It is possible it was some kind of "if you come free" thing but the kid just didn't look like he was going  full steam.  he actually puts his had on the guy he thinks is going to block him as the player goes to block the outside man.  complete fuck up by CU in the blocking scheme.  to be honest it is amazing he didn't get a piece of it.

now I need to go check on my puppy in the backyard...

On 12/21/2020 at 12:49 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Anyone trying to block a punt should run to the spot where the ball will be dropped, not to where the punter is holding it. Damn.

I just occurred to me that two of the top disaster plays in our history are because a special teams coach didn't jump in and say "whatever you do, don't ......"  This one, don't rough kicker and in the other one, don't field the punt.  

amazing. 

Add in the AR Cotton Bowl route.  Early morning kick off as usual.  Cold & hungover.  Applewhite get's his knees shredded, team get boat-raced, AR fans being typical AR fans.  Shit show from top to bottom.  

I was at this game. Tickets were my Christmas present. Apple white went down close to where we were setting.

For the 01 champ game, I was being wingman for a buddy of mine at a bowling alley. I was pissed I was missing the game, but a different friend was taping it for me. I kept wondering over to watch the game. I think I saw every Simms int. I saw Ced and Williams try to kill each other. Saw most of the comeback. Saw Geigar rough the punter. Never bothered actually watching the tape. I think it’s still under the seat of my truck where I put it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

I was at Russell Gaskamp's wedding reception. I remember.

Did it start out lame and end up being a rager for the ages?

On 12/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, Not a cat said:

It's up there, but I still put it behind  Colt vs Bama, Gideon vs tech 08, and Curry vs Georgia.  Dammit, thanks for bringing up the subject.

As soon as I found out Colt was out, I told my very hot sports-oblivious wife I was newly married to that "You know, yeah, if you want to watch that Meryl Streep / Julia Child flick you've been talking about, we can go ahead and do that." I figured I might as well get laid, because nothing else good was going to happen that night. I did check back in after the movie just in time to see Gilbert throw that "death nail" pick and it was back to being the overly sensitive hubby after that. I didn't drink, holler, or break stuff. And I got laid.

(A year later, I kept it on the QT that Osama had been killed because news like that had the potential to shift the mood from where it was heading...I learned that from Roger on Mad Men when he blacked out news of one of the Kennedy assassinations in his apartment for the time being so he could get some. I mean, what's the harm in it? She will find out soon enough.)

It was kind of like something died in me that night because ever since my fandom went down quite a few pegs. Which is convenient, as the program has been a shitshow ever since then, but I am not sure if that's why. I had been through some rough spots before, as a diehard through the '80s and '90s, and even losses from those bad teams would gnaw at me all week...But this time I just let go, I guess.  Not completely, or I wouldn't be here typing this now, but that single play had a dramatic impact on my fandom. 

Enduring that chick flick on the first night of this new Dark Age was just me ripping off the band-aid and trying to make the best of it. And now I'm heading for a divorce (a friendly one, but still) and the program still sucks, but at least I don't care as much about the latter as I would have. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2