Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean they went 8-5 with a low-variance schedule that made it hard to do much worse (or better) for like 4 straight years, and this past year was the first time in like 4 or 5 years they finished in the final AP top 25. That’s pretty much evidence for our bread comments considering their classes were consistently in the top 15 year in and year out.

Couple that with the fact that they needed 2 OT games to fall their way just to keep the numbers of losses at 4.  Plus the extra win from being matched with an unranked team in a lower tier bowl whose best players on both offense and defense sat out for fear of injury.  2018 version of aggy looked like more of the same with a little luck thrown in.

Just now, Bevo said:

I know Evans is considered to be the top running back in this recruiting class. Is Demas considered the top wide receiver in this recruiting class?

247Sports has it as:

Julian Fleming Southern Columbia (Catawissa, PA) WR 6-3 / 210

Johnny Wilson Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) WR 6-6 / 220

A.J. Henning Lincoln-Way East (Frankfort, IL) WR 5-10 / 175

Marcus Rosemy St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL) WR 6-0.5 / 178

Demond Demas Tomball (Tomball, TX) WR 6-4 / 210

Nope. He's got red flags the others don't, which will most likely knock his rating a bit beyond the talent thing (not a sure thing there - they're wildly inconsistent about applying that)

10 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I'm done. I'm not even sure why I am defending some other posters' rights to have a mild, barely negative opinion on an aggy recruit.

Wait Demas is committed to A&M?

Edit: Oh right...like since last Summer. Whoops.

Edited by Valmy77

51 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Low-variance schedules maybe, but at the same time we were lauding our classes, we were losing to Maryland, Kansas, Cal, Tech, and BYU. Those were all teams aggy would have beaten based on their performances over the past 5 seasons.

I am surprised Demas has such a fan club around here. We spent half of the last cycle shitting on own commit with a lot of the same issues as Demas and Shepard was actually less of an open drama queen and bitch as Demas has already been before his own recruiting class has even officially started. I rarely call out recruits to any team as I don't have an eye for separating the wheat from the chaff, but like Garrett Wilson last cycle, Demas can rightly fuck off for all I care.

They lost to plenty of bad teams in that span. Saying they would’ve won all those games is flat out dumb.

our classes received historically bad coaching and we also overrated them. That doesn’t negate any of the points in previous post.

Demas is better than Shepherd and has way less red flags. Shepherd is extremely raw and is a long-term project at a notoriously difficult position. Demas will be a plug and play WR from Day 1. Also, I’ve yet to hear a report about Demas regarding weight concerns or punching a coach and getting suspended.

This is a really weird hill to die on and the logical fallacies and innacuracies you’re forcing yourself to adopt make it that much more odd.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They lost to plenty of bad teams in that span. Saying they would’ve won all those games is flat out dumb.

our classes received historically bad coaching and we also overrated them. That doesn’t negate any of the points in previous post.

Demas is better than Shepherd and has way less red flags. Shepherd is extremely raw and is a long-term project at a notoriously difficult position. Demas will be a plug and play WR from Day 1. Also, I’ve yet to hear a report about Demas regarding weight concerns or punching a coach and getting suspended.

This is a really weird hill to die on and the logical fallacies and innacuracies you’re forcing yourself to adopt make it that much more odd.

Like Preston was plug and play from day 1 for them?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fud said:

Shepherd is also less of a talent 

But if both reach their ceilings, Shepherd is much more important than Demas, and will make a lot more NFL money as a good to great LT will play 4-5 more years than a good/great WR.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

20 touches a game?  With the cuckbearer?

No, you non reading fuck. Here is what I said:

I like Evans because he can touch the ball 20-30 times a game, where Demas will touch it 10-12. Id also caution people to stop thinking Evans is in the calculator because his brother hates aggy trolls. This has a long way to go and I doubt we are even a heavy favorite at this point. 

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

I am not seeing a lot of people shitting on his talent, unless you think saying he is less talented than Julio Jones or is less talented or less important than Evans is considered shitting on his talent. One guy looked at his film and didn't think he was a shoe in to be a great college player and people act like he jizzed in a jar and said, "Howdy". 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

"Honestly, this post made me go and watch a bunch of Demas footage online. I have to say, there is absolutely NOTHING that tells me he is going to be anything more than a good receiver at the next level. He has some really good ball skills and can go up and get balls, but I don't see anything that tells me he is a transcendent player.   "

54 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

And that is shitting on his talent? Honestly, even if he were a Julio Jones clone, there is probably only a tiny chance he would turn out to be the same transcendent player the original was.

I'm done. I'm not even sure why I am defending some other posters' rights to have a mild, barely negative opinion on an aggy recruit. You all have turned into futureman and have decided Demas is better than Julio Jones and Jerry Rice, and saying he may not be a great player based on his highlights is obviously akin to raping sheep and paying for Hamm's Facebook abortion.

Yes. That's shitting on his talent. That was the post that folks were responding to. And all anyone said was that he's a good player and to pretend that he's not a special talent is aggyesque. But you interpreted that to be a "Demas fanclub". Literally no one said "Demas is better than Julio Jones and Jerry Rice, and saying he may not be a great player based on his highlights is obviously akin to raping sheep and paying for Hamm's Facebook abortion." Calm the fuck down.

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

But if both reach their ceilings, Shepherd is much more important than Demas, and will make a lot more NFL money as a good to great LT will play 4-5 more years than a good/great WR.

What does this have to do with college production? 

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

I'm done. I'm not even sure why I am defending some other posters' rights to have a mild, barely negative opinion on an aggy recruit. You all have turned into futureman and have decided Demas is better than Julio Jones and Jerry Rice, and saying he may not be a great player based on his highlights is obviously akin to raping sheep and paying for Hamm's Facebook abortion.

tenor.gif?itemid=5478685

I think the Demas talk is ironically going in a very aggy direction here.

He's a great prospect.  We would love to have him.  He's a better overall prospect than Shepherd.  Evans is a really good prospect too.

If he was committed to us we would be comparing him to the AJ Green types simply because of his body type and 5 star status.  It happens.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My favorite part of Preston is either A. Luicci ranking him a top 10 recruit in state and B. Aggy taking Prince and Johnson to secure his commitment 

just so much goodness there 

I actually think/thought Preston was a stud. I think he's struggling to learn Jimbo's offense, and would have made an early impact in a simple spread offense

• Like 3

Demas is clearly an elite WR talent. It’s pretty obvious. He, nor any WR, is more valuable than an elite RB. Would you rather have college Ricky Williams or college Julio Jones? I don’t know why this thread meandered off the fact that aggy, still butthurt from Texas having a better class in 2019, is now squealing about Evans ranking and they are already conceding him to Texas or The Field. They are the ones talking up Demas to the point of lunacy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Demas is clearly an elite WR talent. It’s pretty obvious. He, nor any WR, is more valuable than an elite RB. Would you rather have college Ricky Williams or college Julio Jones? I don’t know why this thread meandered off the fact that aggy, still butthurt from Texas having a better class in 2019, is now squealing about Evans ranking and they are already conceding him to Texas or The Field. They are the ones talking up Demas to the point of lunacy. 

Our offense in 2008 compared to 2009 makes Shipley look pretty important.  There are exceptions.  I think I feared Tylon Wallace and Hollywood Brown more than any running back in the big 12 last season.

Also Donta Foreman is the best running back we've had in a decade and we were pretty bad building an offense around him.

15 minutes ago, fellside said:

Our offense in 2008 compared to 2009 makes Shipley look pretty important.  There are exceptions.  I think I feared Tylon Wallace and Hollywood Brown more than any running back in the big 12 last season.

Also Donta Foreman is the best running back we've had in a decade and we were pretty bad building an offense around him.

Elite talent is always important, at any position. aggy, however, is attempting to use the recency bias from the NFL which has seen more and more RBs being treated as commodities and top talent has been taken in the 3rd or 4th round in recent years. There has been a narrative in the NFL that RBs are just not as crucial in the modern game.

aggy is failing to acknowledge that college football is not the NFL, and beyond that, the elite talent that has emerged the last couple of years in that league has somewhat altered the narrative. Ezikel Elliot, Todd Gurley, and Saquon Barkley are examples of RBs who are the most important offensive components of their respective teams.

The funny part of all of this is the fact that aggy is ONLY bleating about Evans ranking because they are insecure shitheads and they know he is not giving their shitty school the time of day.  So they will throw out superlatives like "best receiver prospect in 20 years" or "the next Julio Jones" when discussing Demas, in an obvious attempt to pump up their hopes and dreams of someday being better than the damn 'Sips.

And yes, we'd love to have Demas' talent, but considering our specific roster situation, Evans is infinitely more important a prospect for Texas than Demas.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

The funny part of all of this is the fact that aggy is ONLY bleating about Evans ranking because they are insecure shitheads and they know he is not giving their shitty school the time of day. 

This is the important part to focus on.  I'm just saying we don't need to do the same with Demas in response to their delusion.

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

They [aggy] are the ones talking up Demas to the point of lunacy. 

Well can you blame them?  He's got Rocky Calmus speed, Steve Largent hands, Calvin Johnson leaping ability, Rob Gronkowski toughness, Peyton Manning work ethic, the cerebration of Bill Belichick and the cool of Joe Montana.

I'd still rather have Evans.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Shea Dixon crystal balled Branard Wright to LSU.  I think he's visiting them this weekend so could be on commit watch and holds 100% LSU on the picks.  Isn't he at the top of the board for aggy at DT?

Isn’t that the guy that Nahlin said sucks? 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Shea Dixon crystal balled Branard Wright to LSU.  I think he's visiting them this weekend so could be on commit watch and holds 100% LSU on the picks.  Isn't he at the top of the board for aggy at DT?

Dont know if hes at the top of their literal board. Lots of questions about him. But hes rated super highly and if hit on the guys we are legit chasing it would certainly be a perception hit considering he is what is left along the DL. No clue if his ranking remains this high, however. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dont know if hes at the top of their literal board. Lots of questions about him. But hes rated super highly and if hit on the guys we are legit chasing it would certainly be a perception hit considering he is what is left along the DL. No clue if his ranking remains this high, however. 

He just dropped over 100 points in the composite from the ESPN 300 that was just released.  I wouldn't be surprised if the big 4 we are after are all higher than him in the end.