Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

Just now, hookemATL said:

Our go to spot since it’s a 5 min drive away. Can wet wade from there up to the bridge almost. Caught heaps of stuff on fly road and conventional. Mealworms were the bait of choice this time. 

Yep that’s my exact route. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, tell me about your rod & reel storage options. I have decided I have to get my rods out of the house and into the insulated barn room now that it's not too friggin' not. The tackle boxes are staying inside, but the rods are in the way in a room I'm trying to clear out to do other stuff in.

I've been looking around for a lockable cabinet big enough for at least 8 rods or so. I don't have any over 7 1/2 feet. A slim design would be nice, just so I don't get my stuff ripped off, or at least make it not as easy. The door to the barn room has a regular lock, but it's not a very good one. Is there a good reasonably priced cabinet option out there that I haven't found yet?

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

Guys, tell me about your rod & reel storage options. I have decided I have to get my rods out of the house and into the insulated barn room now that it's not too friggin' not. The tackle boxes are staying inside, but the rods are in the way in a room I'm trying to clear out to do other stuff in.

I've been looking around for a lockable cabinet big enough for at least 8 rods or so. I don't have any over 7 1/2 feet. A slim design would be nice, just so I don't get my stuff ripped off, or at least make it not as easy. The door to the barn room has a regular lock, but it's not a very good one. Is there a good reasonably priced cabinet option out there that I haven't found yet?

I have something like this in the garage

582504602.jpg

also DIY options

dj1owhfkdx861.jpg

easy enough to run a cable through the bails of the reels.  I'd just put up a motion sensing camera or just not worry about it.

Edited by locodos
  • Like 1

Despite 2 hurricanes last week in the Pacific we made it to Mazatlan where we tranported via bus 2 hours to El Salto. Lodge was good, food great and the staff and guides were top notch . Man we caught a ton of fish in our 4 days. Best day was 130. Other days 70-80. Most being 3-4 pounders. Biggest I had was 6#. Buddy caught an 8. Biggest of our group was a 9.5. Those bass fight like they were all 10 pounders though. We pounded Cerveza Pacifico all day and Tequila at night. Lake is set in pretty much a jungle like area at the foothills of the Sierra Madre mountains. Crazy hot, humid and alot of bluebird skies with no wind. But the bass kept biting. It never slowed down. Fishing during the eclipse on Sat was pretty cool. Made it nice trmp and bsss just kept in biting. The lake is stocked with tilapia yearly and commercially net fished for them from the day after we left till May. Guides said it is harder to fish around the nets but its doable. The tilapia get fairly big and wed catch one occassionally or evennperch. Even though they are prey everything in the lake is aggresdive. Biggest fish hit topwaters all day long, even better than in the mornings. Also big power worms or senkos worked geeat too. Wed fish 5:45a to 11:15. Eat lunch then head back out around 1:45 and fish till 5:45p.
Never saw any of chapos crew or felt unsafe. The guides are all local and said the cartel pretty much is the police and control everything around but they have never had an issue getting extorted and fighting as its only 1 cartel, not dueling like on the border. Being fluent in Spanish helped but the staff all spoke pretty good english. If yall have any spefic questions feel free to reach out.
84dfff0d604c4656303cc08923858089.jpg
ce2e27a1aa3e3b79592982e04ea5219d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

b072a7457086ad807b1952c563958a56.jpg
49808f35b48cbec124d2e467fc9cbe3e.jpg
586329c2fa3019778d7274685de229d6.jpg
A few fish pics. 1 thing we did do was bring our own rods. The lodge did have rods but in the end glad we brought our own. Theirs were a bit beat up. Big plano rod holder was pretty easy to check and pick up at the airports. Connected thru DFW to meet up with our group. Not alot of options though as Mazatlán is a small airport. DFW customs area is huge which made it easy.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

This ol gal has seen some shit. Perfect day at the Sabine Jetty. She was so stunned and weary I had to chase her down and revive her but she’s good to go.

d1751f6cd3d35614e374ec9661e1810c.jpg

I used to love me some flathead catfish. Then I realized that the big ones had probably seen some shit in their lifetimes, so I started turning them loose again. As I age, I’ve found that meat on the table means almost nothing to me anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I used to love me some flathead catfish. Then I realized that the big ones had probably seen some shit in their lifetimes, so I started turning them loose again. As I age, I’ve found that meat on the table means almost nothing to me anymore. 

I can understand the sentiment, but I’d cut a bitch for the belly and cheek meat off a 50# op.
  • Like 2

It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, Kennythetiger said:

As I age, I’ve found that meat on the table means almost nothing to me anymore. 

same. I'm ok with circle of life and I'll bring one or none home when I go out but god damn if any of its wasted. and the huge hauls from the bay and off shore guides? those can piss me off sometimes, most of that fish does not get eaten. Frankly I think the pelagic tournaments that require the fish dead are some of the worst.  In the end I'll just keep my mouth shut but it's where I'm at. be sustainable. fish for fun, take a few (seriously just a couple) for the table but only that which you will certainly eat and eat soon otherwise, nope not for me.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I'm pretty sure you know that's not true.

when it comes to my view of wildlife, fly fishing has changed me more than almost anything. I think the most avid sportsmen have a reverence for nature, but we have to realize the destruction we are causing. I believe we mistake our intelligence and position at the apex of the planet as being the only sentient and conscious species. Science has proved us to be radically arrogant, ignorant and wrong about that. I believe just because we have the power does not mean we have the right to destroy the planet. I believe all species should have an equal right to inhabit the Earth peacefully.  It's pretty radical but I'm not alone in this view and there are some who think empowering the animals inhabiting the planet with legal rights of their own (with humans allowed to bring claims) is how we fix the mess we've created.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you know that's not true.

when it comes to my view of wildlife, fly fishing has changed me more than almost anything. I think the most avid sportsmen have a reverence for nature, but we have to realize the destruction we are causing. I believe we mistake our intelligence and position at the apex of the planet as being the only sentient and conscious species. Science has proved us to be radically arrogant, ignorant and wrong about that. I believe just because we have the power does not mean we have the right to destroy the planet. I believe all species should have an equal right to inhabit the Earth peacefully.  It's pretty radical but I'm not alone in this view and there are some who think empowering the animals inhabiting the planet with legal rights of their own (with humans allowed to bring claims) is how we fix the mess we've created.
My quote was a Nirvana Lyric. I thought it obvious enough given our high Gen X pop here.

I harvest fish, but very carefully. And I'm all for more restrictive limits on the coast. I keep a few reds for dinner and have been releasing trout since the freeze unless they die before release. We flounder once a year with kids doing all the gigging. Other than that release.
The coastal limits need to be more restrictive. Too much tech and guides fishing daily. There are less fish around and guides will admit that. Guys like Jay Watkin etc that study the fishery will tell you it's different. It's is . Less fish.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I did fish Lake Austin right after the game at dusk on Sat. . I figured one last trip before it's cold. Glassy and quiet.

Last week I SUPed a recon pattern around my neighborhood and found where fish were more likely. Went back last night with a 5 wt for blind casting into those spots with a fat grasshopper fly. Only had maybe an hour.
Had a nice time and caught a lot of Very small bass and perch. Amazing sunset. Just dicking around.

Hooked probably my biggest perch at dark 30, a nice slab blue gill, got him nearly to hand and a massive bass hammered him and then took me for a ride. Pulled my Sup probably 1/4 mile before she decided to spit the bait.

Was really fun on the 5wt. I knew she would open her mouth and swim free, but getting towed around on a 5 wt by a bass that would make a tourney guy nut his shorts was fun. Realesed the blue gill after the fight, but he was pretty stressed out what with the ride in a bass's mouth/ stomach.

Validation for going out dicking around. You never know what crazy shit will happen.
Also one Osprey scored a catch right by me and a had flock of Blue Wing Teal moving through. Gorgeous night.

I do recommend that technique for lakes. Paddle shorelines and find where fish hang out then revist and concentrate on high % spots and areas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Born to Run said:

My quote was a Nirvana Lyric. I thought it obvious enough given our high Gen X pop here.

I harvest fish, but very carefully. And I'm all for more restrictive limits on the coast. I keep a few reds for dinner and have been releasing trout since the freeze unless they die before release. We flounder once a year with kids doing all the gigging. Other than that release.
The coastal limits need to be more restrictive. Too much tech and guides fishing daily. There are less fish around and guides will admit that. Guys like Jay Watkin etc that study the fishery will tell you it's different. It's is . Less fish.

I was waaaaay into Jesus during the grunge era. Sorry for partying. 

I wish there were more like us. Conservationists I mean.

Edited by troph

On 10/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, Born to Run said:
On 10/21/2023 at 11:51 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Something in the way...

Well, in light of the last several posts, I’ll keep the pics to myself, but just returned from our Chandeleur trip.  Of course the biggest front of the year blew in for day 2 of a trip planned 9 months ago.  Fished Cat island in sustained 20+ Gusting over 30 yesterday with limited success.  Only got to fish Chandy from 0700 to 1400 on Monday but it was everything Grigar always wrote that it was. All top water.  Under 15” was only 1 to every 10 Texas/Miss slot.  Probably 40% or better from 17-22”.  Even a massive bull red on super spook.   Cannot wait to return and I can only imagine what 2 full days would look like.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, in light of the last several posts, I’ll keep the pics to myself, but just returned from our Chandeleur trip.  Of course the biggest front of the year blew in for day 2 of a trip planned 9 months ago.  Fished Cat island in sustained 20+ Gusting over 30 yesterday with limited success.  Only got to fish Chandy from 0700 to 1400 on Monday but it was everything Grigar always wrote that it was. All top water.  Under 15” was only 1 to every 10 Texas/Miss slot.  Probably 40% or better from 17-22”.  Even a massive bull red on super spook.   Cannot wait to return and I can only imagine what 2 full days would look like.  

Dude, share the pics. I need the motivation

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Dude, share the pics. I need the motivation

I’ll doctor some of them up and share some better individual fish pics.   4 out of the 10 guys (my little college/tournament group) crushed it. The rest of the group did OK, but was slow.  The best thing was the lack of “little” fish. I think I only threw back 4 that were “LA fish”. 

Post your pics, and just eat all the fish. That’s all I’m saying circle of life means we get to kill to eat. Fish, deer, ducks, dove, whatever. But killing just to kill is fucked up. Give extras away whatever it takes. Don’t be a pansy. Post your fucking pictures. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Post your pics, and just eat all the fish. That’s all I’m saying circle of life means we get to kill to eat. Fish, deer, ducks, dove, whatever. But killing just to kill is fucked up. Give extras away whatever it takes. Don’t be a pansy. Post your fucking pictures. 

I don’t know a single person who participates in wanton waste, no worries there. I’ll have a fish fry in a week or two with the neighbors, and we sent a bunch home with some guys from Fl who can’t keep trout. Me and my partner, at MOST we’ll keep 3 trout every other trip (before last years freeze)…our trout fishery is in poor shape. I don’t fuck with reds but we’re in good shape there. I don’t catch many flounder because I’m a spook junkie, but will keep when I do because they are delicious and they are in good shape.

Now, for the paradise. Most of these were pics I took of our partnering skiff. Hope I’ll get some from my buddies snapping some of our skiff. I can only recall a few fish out touts, everything else is spooks and skitterwalks.

2a0c776a50791413a06e0caae11f67bd.jpg

3d9f835eb20338c978ccd1848b36d739.jpg

6ac2f58f6dfdd14bd545fde917b46462.jpg

8916b1b3e54e0ddcdfde69faf12d03ff.jpg
Big ass bull on spook jr

2bb21eafa6ad48d5497e862908d7c4a1.jpg
Back to doing what bulls do

8250b4f2ca1525f013419282fc6365b8.jpg

This was first 4 hours.

Final tally for the AM was 88 trout, 14 reds, 9 flounder and 2 pompano. I think our 2 skiffs made up for all but a handful of the fish. We didn’t keep under 15” unless the fish was in bad shape. You were either on them or it was tough, tough fishing. Wx went from 0 to 10 out of N at noon, to 22 out of N by 1600. Moved to Cat island that afternoon and fished around there. Picked some fish up here and there but wasn’t anything like Chandy, though that pressure spike probably had them on lock. Left a deposit for first week in Oct ‘24. Overall was a good trip. Sucked we only got to fish about 25% of what we should have, and once you were on them there wasn’t any stopping. I’ve been wanting to make this trip since I got a copy of plugger when I was a teen, but can’t fight Wx. It’s hard to imagine how much pressure these fish are under out there and still so plentiful. While a good day for our 2 skiffs, this wasn’t anything for overall charter. Mind bottling.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, troph said:

People waste. No one admits it. Fish die a second death in many freezers. A fish fry sounds awesome. 

That's why I stopped keeping fish for most people. "Ever eat that fish?" "Naw it's still in the freezer."  BUT I do understand wanting to do the neighborly thing, especially for people who really like fish but can't get down to catch any. Maybe we can all find a balance.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

People waste. No one admits it. Fish die a second death in many freezers. A fish fry sounds awesome. 

Very good friends of mine have a house that overlooks our small high school football stadium. Once a year the friends will pick a Friday night with good weather and host a fish fry. Lots of people bring their unused summer catch of white bass and walleye from the reservoir north of us. Good seasoning and cheap whiskey can cover up a lot of freezer burn. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

That's why I stopped keeping fish for most people. "Ever eat that fish?" "Naw it's still in the freezer."  BUT I do understand wanting to do the neighborly thing, especially for people who really like fish but can't get down to catch any. Maybe we can all find a balance.

exactly. I don't have a problem with people catching lots of fish.

I have a problem with guides doing it for the pictures and not being good stewards of the resource (I've been ignored too many times when I ask for catch and release by traditional guides).

I have a problem with waste.

I personally don't keep a lot anymore for the reason you stated, but that's my personal preference. As long as the fish get eaten, it's there for all predators to enjoy (circle of life). no issues.

everyone agrees, but yet we all know there is a ton of waste in the "recreational guide catch your limit" world.  if that's not you, rock on, tight lines and big fish for you!

I also want limits lowered.  I also want more stringent commercial fishing regulation. I also want more wetland and coastal land protections. but I blame no one for doing what's currently allowed provided there's no waste.

I wanna big ass fish fry with lots of smiling happy people now.

Just now, Kennythetiger said:

Very good friends of mine have a house that overlooks our small high school football stadium. Once a year the friends will pick a Friday night with good weather and host a fish fry. Lots of people bring their unused summer catch of white bass and walleye from the reservoir north of us. Good seasoning and cheap whiskey can cover up a lot of freezer burn.

that's awesome! my graddad did the same, sans the whiskey. when he thought the fish was about to turn he'd mandate a fish fry to the hood.

27 minutes ago, troph said:

I have a problem with guides doing it for the pictures and not being good stewards of the resource (I've been ignored too many times when I ask for catch and release by traditional guides).

I do too. Won’t name them but there is a group in west matty that has kept (literally) 10’s of thousands of trout.  For what? A bunch of photos?  I don’t do the guide thing often but did a “trophy trout” trip about a decade ago.  It wasn’t even on the table to keep. Iirc, he either gave a discount if you kept nothing, or had an adder if you did want to.  We caught loads (13) of massive trout (every single person sans guide set new PB, several broke it again and again that weekend) and took tons of pics and everything went back in the water for next year.  No one went hungry.  

Ever notice we don’t have a bull croaker run anymore?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, troph said:

exactly. I don't have a problem with people catching lots of fish.

I have a problem with waste.

When I used to work in Louisiana a lot, we would host two big guided trips a year for customers. We worked with a well known guide in Hopedale that had a lodge* where we would stay the night before. We had a guy on the team that catered crawfish boils on the weekends, so if they were in season he would do a big boil the night before or we'd do a shrimp and crab boil or something. We usually had 5 boats with 3 anglers per boat. I'd always tell the guide I didn't live there, and he could release my fish. Without fail, they would ignore me and keep my limit as well. I'd always give my filets to my customers, but it kind of pissed me off just getting straight up ignored like that. Those guides were something. You weren't on a time limit, you were on a boat limit. The second the last fish of the boat limit hit the cooler, they were cranking the big motor and pointing it at the boat barn. I don't think we ever fished past about 10:30 AM. You'd be at the dock with them cleaning fish by 11:00, and their afternoon charters would start showing up as they were handing you your bags of filets. I'm sure they did the same thing with their afternoon groups. 

*The "Lodge" was two 4 bedroom double-wides up on stilts with a concrete pad between them with a covered roof and a couple gas grills. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

When I used to work in Louisiana a lot, we would host two big guided trips a year for customers. We worked with a well known guide in Hopedale that had a lodge* where we would stay the night before. We had a guy on the team that catered crawfish boils on the weekends, so if they were in season he would do a big boil the night before or we'd do a shrimp and crab boil or something. We usually had 5 boats with 3 anglers per boat. I'd always tell the guide I didn't live there, and he could release my fish. Without fail, they would ignore me and keep my limit as well. I'd always give my filets to my customers, but it kind of pissed me off just getting straight up ignored like that. Those guides were something. You weren't on a time limit, you were on a boat limit. The second the last fish of the boat limit hit the cooler, they were cranking the big motor and pointing it at the boat barn. I don't think we ever fished past about 10:30 AM. You'd be at the dock with them cleaning fish by 11:00, and their afternoon charters would start showing up as they were handing you your bags of filets. I'm sure they did the same thing with their afternoon groups. 

*The "Lodge" was two 4 bedroom double-wides up on stilts with a concrete pad between them with a covered roof and a couple gas grills. 

that makes me ragey. 

now I can't get a fly guide to bring a filet knife, ha!  but given my history with my fly guides, we fish hard until about 30 mins after our time frame unless I catch a walk off which happens from time to time.  then we go back early happily. it works for me.

Edited by troph

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t know a single person who participates in wanton waste, no worries there. I’ll have a fish fry in a week or two with the neighbors, and we sent a bunch home with some guys from Fl who can’t keep trout. Me and my partner, at MOST we’ll keep 3 trout every other trip (before last years freeze)…our trout fishery is in poor shape. I don’t fuck with reds but we’re in good shape there. I don’t catch many flounder because I’m a spook junkie, but will keep when I do because they are delicious and they are in good shape.

Now, for the paradise. Most of these were pics I took of our partnering skiff. Hope I’ll get some from my buddies snapping some of our skiff. I can only recall a few fish out touts, everything else is spooks and skitterwalks.

2a0c776a50791413a06e0caae11f67bd.jpg

3d9f835eb20338c978ccd1848b36d739.jpg

6ac2f58f6dfdd14bd545fde917b46462.jpg

8916b1b3e54e0ddcdfde69faf12d03ff.jpg
Big ass bull on spook jr

2bb21eafa6ad48d5497e862908d7c4a1.jpg
Back to doing what bulls do

8250b4f2ca1525f013419282fc6365b8.jpg

This was first 4 hours.

Final tally for the AM was 88 trout, 14 reds, 9 flounder and 2 pompano. I think our 2 skiffs made up for all but a handful of the fish. We didn’t keep under 15” unless the fish was in bad shape. You were either on them or it was tough, tough fishing. Wx went from 0 to 10 out of N at noon, to 22 out of N by 1600. Moved to Cat island that afternoon and fished around there. Picked some fish up here and there but wasn’t anything like Chandy, though that pressure spike probably had them on lock. Left a deposit for first week in Oct ‘24. Overall was a good trip. Sucked we only got to fish about 25% of what we should have, and once you were on them there wasn’t any stopping. I’ve been wanting to make this trip since I got a copy of plugger when I was a teen, but can’t fight Wx. It’s hard to imagine how much pressure these fish are under out there and still so plentiful. While a good day for our 2 skiffs, this wasn’t anything for overall charter. Mind bottling.

Damn, I need a Chandy trip. Did not go this year but went last 3 years in a row. That skiff looks familiar. Who did you go with?