Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

I would agree with you, if we had converted any of the 4th and fieldgoals in the last 3 weeks. But our 'Horns have a terrible track record in that time frame. I'm not saying a coach should never roll the dice from time to time, but when you know you're playing with  weighted dice, it's a terrible fucking call.

Was that not the first time the wildcat failed to convert on 4th this year? This wasn’t a goalline situation.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

We are 61% on 4th down, pretty fucking good. If you take away the non competitive games like rice, byu, and Kansas we are 10-14 on 4th downs. I’m not real good at maths but that’s 71% on 4th down in games where it was close. You want him to go less when we are at a 71% clip or go more when you think it’s a good call to score 7? That’s impossible to please man. Most college football coaches make bad calls there, the ones with Georgia talent are rewarded for their bad calls and their good calls. 

But I'm not arguing that we shouldn't go for it on any 4th down. I'd support most of those attempts, as I think a ton of them were called short of the opponent's 40-yard-line. But, again, when it's 4th and manageable fieldgoal, we need to kick the field goal. Even if we convert the 4th down, we still have to overcome our terrible red zone convertion rate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

I just watched Venables turtle and kick a fg in this bedlam game. He should have went for the TD. He would have been more aggressive against us I guarantee it. It’s a game by game basis, it’s a tough job. We are 8-1. 

blOU got the ball back with 2mins and 1 timeout left needing only 3pts to get into overtime.  So taking the FG by Venables instead of going for it on 4th and long was an acceptable decision.  

The final blOU drive execution sucked -- that's why they lost.  

Sark called a good game. Wanna be upset get mad at the ones turning it over on basic plays.

He did. Probably his best overall game except the need a first down, the clock runs out drive.

The 3rd down call was going to the well one too many times. And I always have a problem with no play fake, roll the QB out with a TE option in those situations.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Was that not the first time the wildcat failed to convert on 4th this year? This wasn’t a goalline situation.

Not sure, but on OTF after game livestream they mentioned that it looked like a pass play and Sanders appeared to be wide open.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Repeatedly makes the same game day mistakes game after game. Last week refused to take the 3 to make it a 3 score game, twice, and this week refused to take the 3 to make it a 3 TD game. All with a red zone offense, irregardless of the QB, that ranks among the last in the nation. That's sheer stupidity and not knowing your team. 

But honestly the most egregious was not getting split snaps for both QBs against BYU knowing full well Ewers would miss this game and one or both of them would have to play it. ESPECIALLY when Maalik showed to be careless and turnover prone early in that game. By accounts inside the program it's a question which backup QB is more ahead of the other and as a HC in this situation it's your job with the playoffs and conference title still on the line to exhaust all options at that position. He failed to do that and that's probably the 1 largest factor that had us in a situation to lose that game if Klieman doesn't make one of the most boneheaded decisions by any coach in the CFB season. Sark failed to prepare and found his team in OT with a QB that could not be trusted to make decisions with the ball. 

I'm ecstatic with the win and believe we may be charmed to survive until the big 12 title game but it's kind of happening in spite of Sark's decisions in some ways and there's mounting questions on why he's making these mistakes. The best HC in any sport know their team, know their opponent, and coach to their team's strengths and opponent's weaknesses and adjust to what's happening in real time. Sark seems oblivious to that much of the time. 

I believe he can still win a title here if he continues to recruit and hit the portal at an elite level and maintains top quality assistant coaches but he's showing he can derail a season with his mistakes. 

We assume Arch is good or even close to where Murph is currently. Just like everyone assumed Murph was in the same stratosphere as Ewers. He isn't, and maybe Arch isn't quite ready for the big time yet and the coaches know it and don't want to kill his confidence putting him in a tough situation. Hard to say, but these coaches have been pretty good at talent evaluation to this point. So I am trusting them with that.

As far as him showing he can derail a season. We are 8-1.

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

blOU got the ball back with 2mins and 1 timeout left needing only 3pts to get into overtime.  So taking the FG by Venables instead of going for it on 4th and long was an acceptable decision.  

The final blOU drive execution sucked -- that's why they lost.  

they had only scored 21 points the entire game to that point, you thought they would kick a fg, make a stop and go down and score again with a minute 46 left? Haha you’d be eviscerated by surly if you were coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Had Kansas state came out and thrown for 4 quarters we get blown out bro. I mean like shit stomped. There aren’t any perfect game day coaches. Urban, saban, Mack, stoops, Dabo, Kirby, Pete carrol…they just out talent people. I promise you can go to any fan base in America and ask them to name a play during a national championship winning season that was a wtf are you doing moment and they will give you a dozen. 

This has been referenced by several posters on The Surl. So. Sounds like we’ve got a pass defense problem. Does anybody address that or just hate on Sark calls? It’s the biggest problem we’ve got. It Lost the ou game. It Let Houston back in. It Let KSU catch up. Our rush is not scary anymore and the DBs! Are. Awful! it’s obvious to everyone watching film. 

Just now, Bobby Layne said:

This has been referenced by several posters on The Surl. So. Sounds like we’ve got a pass defense problem. Does anybody address that or just hate on Sark calls? It’s the biggest problem we’ve got. It Lost the ou game. It Let Houston back in. It Let KSU catch up. Our rush is not scary anymore and the DBs! Are. Awful! it’s obvious to everyone watching film. 

Between injuries, herman, and odd coach pairing I think we are having to wait till the younger guys get some experience. Jerrin Thompson type players just aren’t it. 

I’m agreeing with you man, what I’m saying is you are expecting some shit that only comes to light when it costs you the game. Sark may get better but he has some warts and I’m ok with them. I think the scenario you’re portraying where a coach makes the right call way more often than he doesn’t is non-existent. The teams that make the CFP year in and year out just out talent everybody. This board hates BoB but saban hired him lol. Look at the situation Dabo let himself get into, Ryan day is in the same situation. These are guys who win, and win a fuck load. Their starting qb’s are normally why they win, this year the rest of the team is dragging the qb down the road. It’s much easier to fuck up the call than it is to hit it right. 

A lot of these mistakes cost us the loss in the Cotton bowl and they're not being addressed. Sark's unwillingness to coach to the team he has, and against the opponent in front of him, along with a lack of self evaluation and adjustments is what keeps him from taking the step from great recruiter and play caller to great head coach.

That's why we'll need a Burrow type that takes that out of his hands a lot and who can make the adjustments on the field in real time and get his offense into the right positions. Honestly, the good news is if anyone can do that with experience it should be a Manning. 

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

A lot of these mistakes cost us the loss in the Cotton bowl and they're not being addressed. Sark's unwillingness to coach to the team he has, and against the opponent in front of him, along with a lack of self evaluation and adjustments is what keeps him from taking the step from great recruiter and play caller to great head coach.

That's why we'll need a Burrow type that takes that out of his hands a lot and who can make the adjustments on the field in real time and get his offense into the right positions. Honestly, the good news is if anyone can do that with experience it should be a Manning. 

I’ll give you some time to look this up, but find me a coach with a title that didn’t have a “burrow” type player. Then do me this favor, point to the Derrick Henry, Joe burrow, devonta smith, Trevor Lawrence, Vince young, or equivalent player on our roster right now ! Those great coaches you think that are out there just nailing every big call are actually just bullying other teams with better players. Henry rushed like 42 times to win the sec championship and a heisman his jr season. His ol was stacked with nfl draft picks. I’ve never looked but I bet their 4th conversion rate was real high. All I’m saying is I think sark can bring us to the promise land with his warts, because we are going to have a stacked team if he continues to recruit the way he is right now. Our staff is bad ass. The future is bright. Just my opinion bro. 

I’ll give you some time to look this up, but find me a coach with a title that didn’t have a “burrow” type player. Then do me this favor, point to the Derrick Henry, Joe burrow, devonta smith, Trevor Lawrence, Vince young, or equivalent player on our roster right now ! Those great coaches you think that are out there just nailing every big call are actually just bullying other teams with better players. Henry rushed like 42 times to win the sec championship and a heisman his jr season. His ol was stacked with nfl draft picks. I’ve never looked but I bet their 4th conversion rate was real high. All I’m saying is I think sark can bring us to the promise land with his warts, because we are going to have a stacked team if he continues to recruit the way he is right now. Our staff is bad ass. The future is bright. Just my opinion bro. 

Saban won with Greg f'n McElroy. Got to a national title game with a version of Jalen Hurts that couldn't throw, then won it after going to a true freshman in the NC game. Stoops won one with a game manager QB. Meyer won 2 with a QB that got exposed in the NFL because he couldn't throw. There's many more examples. 

The way they were able to win? Recruit elite talent then coach to those teams strengths and weaknesses, and show the ability to change things up when they aren't working. To adjust their coaching style to the team they have. Sark has shown he can recruit elite talent but he needs a ton of work on the other aspects of being an elite HC. It's why now Sark is an elite recruiter and very very good play caller but not a great HC. 

The problem is he's not showing that he's recognizing his faults and improving them. He's not adjusting. That's our concern, dude. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Saban won with Greg f'n McElroy. Got to a national title game with a version of Jalen Hurts that couldn't throw, then won it after going to a true freshman in the NC game. Stoops won one with a game manager QB. Meyer won 2 with a QB that got exposed in the NFL because he couldn't throw. There's many more examples. 

The way they were able to win? Recruit elite talent then coach to those teams strengths and weaknesses, and show the ability to change things up when they aren't working. To adjust their coaching style to the team they have. Sark has shown he can recruit elite talent but he needs a ton of work on the other aspects of being an elite HC. It's why now Sark is an elite recruiter and very very good play caller but not a great HC. 

The problem is he's not showing that he's recognizing his faults and improving them. He's not adjusting. That's our concern, dude. 

Mark Ingram was on that team lol. It was an elite ground attack with multiple first round draft picks along the OL and Ingram himself. Tua is a Vince like generational player, you can’t say the coach is good because he let tua be Tua haha. Mack let Vince be Vince, he’s still an inept douche bag who only won 2 big 12 titles. Urban had the most talented roster in all of college football and as soon as he didn’t he quit. Stoops had the best defense in football when he won the title. These coaches aren’t elite because they are smarter than everyone else. They have generational players that don’t allow them to fail. Stoops, Meyer, Dabo, saban, smart…cheating their balls off in recruiting. It’s not some complicated scheme, better players equals more championships. Switzer said it best, it ain’t the X’s and O’s, its the  jimmys and joes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nobody, and I mean nobody in their right fucking mind thought Dillon Gabriel would March down the field and score that fast.

lol I didn’t even read past this - did you just not watch the game? It was obvious what would happen. The “stops” Texas had gotten were just botched plays on OU’s part.

Regardless, came here to that I think Sark and staff generally coached an impressive game this past Saturday, last four minutes of the guest half non withstanding. Joseph and Gideon need to go. I know I’m just yelling at clouds there and nothing will happen but this secondary is just horrid outside of Barron and Watts.
  • Haha 1

Watching today's Colin Cowherd show segment with Joel Klatt & Cowherd has come to the conclusion after watching UT almost give the game up to K-State that Sark is basically gonna be another Mack Brown for UT. Meaning that UT will always have top recruiting classes & a lot of 10+ win seasons under Sark, but we're gonna be frustrated with the lack of conference & national titles.

But the thing is that Mack Brown era at UT was during the BCS era. With CFB going to a 12-team playoff next season, Sark having a Mack Brown-type run would mean UT is in the playoffs almost every year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watching today's Colin Cowherd show segment with Joel Klatt & Cowherd has come to the conclusion after watching UT almost give the game up to K-State that Sark is basically gonna be another Mack Brown for UT. Meaning that UT will always have top recruiting classes & a lot of 10+ win seasons under Sark, but we're gonna be frustrated with the lack of conference & national titles.

But the thing is that Mack Brown era at UT was during the BCS era. With CFB going to a 12-team playoff next season, Sark having a Mack Brown-type run would mean UT is in the playoffs almost every year.

I would be ecstatic with Sark being another Mack Brown. Would there be frustration? Yes, but damn that was a great period to be a Horn Fan.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The flaw here is that the strength of schedule year in and year out with the SEC + programs like Ohio State and Michigan on the OOC schedule is going to be a lot tougher than what Mack dealt with most of his time here. Consistent 10+ win seasons would be fantastic and result in several playoff berths along with likely playing for some SEC championships. That’s really all you can ask for as a fan.

I didn’t watch the segment but I don’t think that’s what Cowherd was going for.
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I would be ecstatic with Sark being another Mack Brown. Would there be frustration? Yes, but damn that was a great period to be a Horn Fan.

I'd be happy with another stretch like Mack's, but can we trade the embarrassing losses to OU for some disappointing early non-conference losses?

And here I'm probably asking too much of a guy after a dominant 10-yr stretch, but maybe GTFO before your arrogance sours the whole program.

Edited by LonghornBreeder
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I'd be happy with another stretch like Mack's, but can we trade the embarrassing losses to OU for some disappointing early non-conference losses?

+1 on this.  Yeah, in some ways it was frustrating to be "so close" for so long, but that's a hell of a lot better than just hoping for bowl eligibility.  If Sark can build a program that is in the mix consistently, good things will come.  After living through McWilliams and Mackovic and then Strong and Herman, I'm sign up for Mack 2.0 in a heart beat.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In the new CFB playoff scheme Mack brown (as someone said above) would have been in the playoffs for 10 straight years. 2008 coulda been a NC, 2005 still would have. 2004? Yeah look out that team at the end of the season could have. 2009 might have played out differently. 2001? Who knows. The door to get in was s o unbelievably narrow back then - even now, but a legit playoff? Yeah Mack would have done ok.  I think he easily has 2 titles he coulda had 3.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Not what happened at all. 

Cow herd, who doesn't know shit about college football said that. He said he's gonna keep winning 10 games a season but that's it nothing more. 

Then Klatt reminded him he's never won 10 games in a season. 

Meaning he's ascending as a coach now with Texas, the right coaching staff, great players though recruiting the trenches, and he's off the booze. 

Let's look at it, right now, even getting constantly fucked by rig 12 refs we are 8-1. Top of the big 12. 

Looking pretty decent I'd say let's give him a few more years after the SEC move and unbiased officiating and see where we stand. 3 years minimum in the SEC before we will know if he's the forever guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blutow said:

+1 on this.  Yeah, in some ways it was frustrating to be "so close" for so long, but that's a hell of a lot better than just hoping for bowl eligibility.  If Sark can build a program that is in the mix consistently, good things will come.  After living through McWilliams and Mackovic and then Strong and Herman, I'm sign up for Mack 2.0 in a heart beat.  

He's totally different than Mack

He calls the plays on offense. 

36 minutes ago, Zeus said:

He's totally different than Mack

He calls the plays on offense. 

I don’t think he’s totally different, mack was an OC of some pretty good offenses and I guarantee he had a hand, if just slightly, in calling plays game day. They are both likable, respected by all their peers, recruit well, the kids love them, and they are great politicians. If sark can ever learn to close recruits the way Mack did in his prime then we will be lights out. They aren’t identical by any means but they are similar. 

• Like 1

I like Sark. I hope he’s the right guy. I don’t give him a lot of credit for recruiting so well, because he is the first coach at Texas in almost 70 years allowed to pay players. (Can you imagine if early Mack Brown were allowed to finish his recruit pitch with, “Now that I’ve explained why UT is the perfect fit for you, I’m going to step out of the room, and this man is going to explain our NIL package”?)

I hate being that guy (and I’m stopping in 3-4 games), but since Sark has been here, he has had an officiating headwind. I think he would have an even higher profile if we had won one more game in 2021 (maybe they call roughing the passer on OSU for the late hit on Thompson, or roughing the kicker on Dicker’s punt at Baylor) and been bowl eligible. Then, in 2022, if we get anyone besides Mar for the OSU game, and go to the B12 CG. (or maybe they call holding on Wiley in the TCU game, or not call a delay of game on our DT for doing what TCU had been doing the whole game). 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, statsman said:

I like Sark. I hope he’s the right guy. I don’t give him a lot of credit for recruiting so well, because he is the first coach at Texas in almost 70 years allowed to pay players. (Can you imagine if early Mack Brown were allowed to finish his recruit pitch with, “Now that I’ve explained why UT is the perfect fit for you, I’m going to step out of the room, and this man is going to explain our NIL package”?)

I hate being that guy (and I’m stopping in 3-4 games), but since Sark has been here, he has had an officiating headwind. I think he would have an even higher profile if we had won one more game in 2021 (maybe they call roughing the passer on OSU for the late hit on Thompson, or roughing the kicker on Dicker’s punt at Baylor) and been bowl eligible. Then, in 2022, if we get anyone besides Mar for the OSU game, and go to the B12 CG. (or maybe they call holding on Wiley in the TCU game, or not call a delay of game on our DT for doing what TCU had been doing the whole game). 

It really was weird in the Alabama game being relieved that we were not being fucked over by officials for a change.  And those were SEC officials in a game against Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

It's defiantly a factor, and you know him and CDC have been discussing it. I think CDC finally told him to let it loose a little and just point out in public how Worthy hasn't gotten a single PI and guys are tackling him before the ball is there. How we have two dominant DTs and haven't drawn a holding call despite those guys being constantly and obviously held. 

They had a strategy, and they fought though it with their mouth shut for so long, now it's 3 games left I think CDC took the leash off and said speak your mind and tiptoe on that line a little.

You know they notice. They know they are rigging games and getting away with it. 

I wouldn’t say they are rigging games. The league office hates Texas, the IR8 schools hate Texas, and they have a bias. I doubt the collusion goes beyond “don’t do Texas any favors in the game”, just leaning a little harder than they would against a non-conference opponent. That can affect a close game. 

It is infuriating that, over the last couple of years, most of the opponent holding calls have been followed by (or synchronous with) Texas personal fouls, so the drive can continue. 

I thought last year’s offseason discussion about the pass rush (“how can we lead the conference in QB hurries but have so few sacks?”)was funny. 

12 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

And here I'm probably asking too much of a guy after a dominant 10-yr stretch, but maybe GTFO before your arrogance sours the whole program.

I was referring to overall on field results. Blowout losses to OU sand Mack’s 2010 onward resume would be unacceptable.