Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

Steve Sarkisian believes his career would not be possible without Nick Saban

image.png.ef8c536d41036850e48422c4233cc6c0.png

by:Nick Kosko•02/03/24

Steve Sarkisian resurrected his career under Nick Saban at Alabama at one point. Eventually, it led him to Texas where he became the Longhorns’ head coach.

Now a Big 12 champion and College Football Playoff participant, Sarkisian joins an elite class of coaches in the SEC in 2024 as Texas and Oklahoma make the move. Once upon a time, it was hard to imagine Sarkisian in this type of position.

Well, Saban believed in him and Sarkisian learned well during his time as Alabama’s offensive coordinator.

“He believed in me at a time when I was having a hard time even getting an interview,”  Sarkisian said, via ESPN.  

Sarkisian was sure to remind Saban of that after the two faced off in Week 2 earlier this season.  “None of this would’ve been possible without you,” Sarkisian told Saban at midfield.

Texas knocked off Alabama, which spearheaded the Longhorns’ run to the College Football Playoff after winning a Big 12 title.

“As great as it was for us to go and get that win, that would never have been possible without Nick Saban, ironically,” Sarkisian said. “To think that was where I kind of resurrected my career, in that stadium with him, to have that moment — which was our biggest moment in three years here — was something I won’t forget. I’m forever grateful that he and Miss Terry were both there for me at a tough time in my life.”

Sarkisian was open and honest about his recovery as an alcoholic. Once he confronted his demons, he received his second chance in the coaching ranks.

Sure enough, he wasn’t the USC version of Sarkisian, he became a new version of himself, aided by Saban.

Texas is hoping they can sustain the success from 2023, even moving into the SEC. Sarkisian hopes his two mentors, Saban and former USC and Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, can come to the 40 Acres to support him. In return, he wants to be a highlight of their respective coaching tree.

“My goal is that we can play in some big games down the road and those two guys can come and support us,” Sarkisian said. “I think that’s part of leaving a legacy. Other coaches that have worked for you, what have they gone on to do? Now that they have a little bit more time on their hands, hopefully, they can come down to Austin, and watch us play.”

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This dude made 60 million bucks off Kyle Flood and the pancake factory.

Speaking of Flood

Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks was extended through the 2026 season. He’ll be paid $1.15 in 2024, $1.2 million in 2025, and $1.25 million in 2026.

Longhorns offensive coordinator Kyle Flood had another year tacked on to his contract, taking him through the 2026 season. His 2024 salary of $1.325 million and his 2025 salary of $1.4 million will not change. He’ll be paid $1.475 million in 2026.

Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski was also extended through 2026. Set to be paid $1.7 million in 2024, he received a bump to $1.8 million for the upcoming season. He’ll be paid $1.9 million in 2025, and $2 million in 2026.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So is it all fully guaranteed? If so, we just gave him a fucking Jimbo contract...

Is this hypothetical I just came up with true? If it is then I'm so upset! 

Do you also get angry when you imagine that your husband is thinking of other women? 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I mean, if it is fully guaranteed, we sure did clown on aggy for Jimbo's deal.

Jimbo didn’t win his conference, didn’t win 10 games, didn’t make the playoffs.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

So is it all fully guaranteed? If so, we just gave him a fucking Jimbo contract...

57 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Don't know if it's fully guaranteed, it wasn't before (to my knowledge) so I doubt they would do that in addition to such a massive salary increase. This is kind of concern troll-y. Texas's financial situation is also, uh, a little better than aggy's.

57 minutes ago, Minute Bull said:

We are the Joneses and we’ve got the biggest wallets.  There is no other show in this city—one of the 15 biggest in the country.

Fans of other schools that want to bitch about Texas throwing its weight and money around, fuck right off.

And this is such a weird thing for Texas fans to be proud of. It's an overpay. It is what it is. It's not coming out of the actual school's pocket so I don't care that much but it's a weird thing to spike the football over.

• Hook 'Em 5

Yeah, kinda sucks it's guaranteed... at least it's just 7 years in case shit hits the fan... 

I'm sure the negotiation went: Steve, we'll pay you $10mil a year for 7 years, with X% buy-out. Steve's agent comes back and says, Sark Enterprises demands $12 mil a year with those buyout terms. And UT comes back and says, let's just kill the buyout and stick with the $10mil.

9 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Yeah, kinda sucks it's guaranteed... at least it's just 7 years in case shit hits the fan... 

I'm sure the negotiation went: Steve, we'll pay you $10mil a year for 7 years, with X% buy-out. Steve's agent comes back and says, Sark Enterprises demands $12 mil a year with those buyout terms. And UT comes back and says, let's just kill the buyout and stick with the $10mil.

I'm pretty sure "guaranteed compensation" in this context of that screen cap is simply base salary and there is a specific buyout procedure outlined elsewhere in the contract.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

You’re mad at the cost of retaining a coach? That’s the market now especially if you want to have a coach that had the most successful season at Texas since 2009. So eat shit you cry baby pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t see any mention of a buyout for either side. 

This is just the bullet points from BoR agenda, not actual employment contract.

There is no way to know any of the terms, other than annual salary/incentives from the BoR agenda. Anything about whether it is fully guaranteed or not, what the buyout is, etc. is contained in the actual contract, not the BoR agenda. And since this is an extension, the most likely thing is that it is literally that - extending the prior contract and amending the annual compensation.

Just wait, the actual contract extension will come out at some point and all your caterwauling will likely be for naught. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Most of Surly the past two years: Sark sucks, fire him! Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot! 

Most of Surly after one top 5 finish: You're a pussy if you don't think it's smart to give him a deal at the same level as multi-title winning coaches like Kirby!

Y'all need to stop riding the roller coaster so damn much. Year 1 was too soon to judge him but claiming he's a slam dunk now because of one year is also foolish. He definitely deserved a big raise and 10 isn't crazy, but history has shown that long-term fully guaranteed deals based off one good season are not wise.

Regardless - idk if this means it is fully guaranteed, hence the original question. Will also be curious to see what the buyout is if he were to leave. Hopefully it's a lot higher to help prevent renegotiating again soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Is this hypothetical I just came up with true? If it is then I'm so upset! 

Do you also get angry when you imagine that your husband is thinking of other women? 

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Jimbo didn’t win his conference, didn’t win 10 games, didn’t make the playoffs.  

I cannot believe ANYONE would dare insinuate that were as stupid as fucking aggy. YES, we rewarded the staff for a job well done, and it was justly deserved. To even suggest that we shoved a handful of Crisco up our ass and bent over is fucking ludicrous. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

Surly- coach congratulations on a great season.  Our best in 15 years.  We love how you've changed the culture of the football team and recruited. To show you how excited we are about you leading us into the future, we would like like to offer you a non guaranteed contract that would boost you from 5.8 to 6 million dollars. 

Here's a pen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

CDC could fire Sark tomorrow and we still wouldn't owe what they paid Fisher. 7 years is longer than I would like but it ain't 10 years. 

The contract Sark was on had the risk that he might suck baked into it. It was the same amount we gave Strong and a million less than what we gave Mensa.

Ten mil is what you pay a coach at Texas who takes them to the CFP.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The contract Sark was on had the risk that he might suck baked into it. It was the same amount we gave Strong and a million less than what we gave Mensa.

Ten mil is what you pay a coach at Texas who takes them to the CFP.

To add to this idk who fucking came up with this fully guaranteed nonsense. There is absolutely no indication this is fully guaranteed from a buyout perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

To add to this idk who fucking came up with this fully guaranteed nonsense. There is absolutely no indication this is fully guaranteed from a buyout perspective. 
The 45-chromosome crowd read "guaranteed compensation" above the years and ran with the notion that the contract was 100% guaranteed.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Keep Sark here and keep him happy, we aren't worried about another school luring him, worried about the NFL. So far everything he has laid out has worked, his plan is on point and he knows how to build staff and team. This is a far cry from Jimbo, way different, it would be devastating if Sark left. Gomer was thrilled to see Jimbo go, the only reason they had an outstanding class was due to money, not coach. His offense was confusing and uninviting to top recruits and transfers. Kids are lining up to play for Sark. So chill the fuck out with whatever the fuck is guaranteed. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2