Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Didn’t we just lose a big recruit that said his major was welding?   Lol.  I’ll accept those losses all day.   But also if a kids willing to weld in a Texas summer he’s tough.   🤷🏻‍♂️   He’s just dumb as a block of bricks but  probably tough as hell.  

I believe you're referring to the same recruit as the OP. Hampton is a former Texas commit that has a commitment announcement July 7th.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Imagine someone wanting to learn how to actually do something and then doing it. What a fucking idiot! He'd have a career he enjoys where he makes good money and will always be in demand. 

If he decides to move on to something else, he'll carry the skill and the safety net of having it.

I feel so much smarter than him. It's gratifying.

Are you implying LSU’s Sport administration degree won’t have as high a demand as a skilled welder? 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Are you implying LSU’s Sport administration degree won’t have as high a demand as a skilled welder? 

Sir, you insult me! Being a college man is always the better bet in today's job market no matter the specialty on the degree!

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry just confirmed that his Hi from Friday was not January, but will take time to play out.

The beauty of that hot take is that our class isn't full yet. If "hi" means that a commitment is incoming... at some unspecified time in the future... then it's absolutely meaningless. In true $9.95 fashion.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Junior Bonner said:

Somebody reliable on here said we’d have 2-3 more by end of day July 4. Not sure if/when any are scheduled, though. 

(How’s that for a non-answer…)

@RGBIII

46 minutes ago, Bevo said:

WR talking shit to a couple of DBs never goes well.

It’s called banter and the kids love it

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TXRed said:

Johntay is the gift that keeps on giving. 

Remember how when Ehlinger was our QB on every Longhorn football broadcast they'd always show the photo of him as a 3-year old doing the Hook 'em Horns gesture?  I could see these photos of Gipson and JJR being the same thing. If they play together it will be on every single broadcast. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some thoughts after chatting up some friends across the span of the recruiting realm. 

-Gipson would be an impressive get in that he and his family visited Clemson three times this spring and summer and spent their own money to do it on two of those. That’s usually the team that wins the recruitment. 

-If OSU throws a crazy bag at Baker, maybe he goes there. Texas is prepared to compete within reason and he’s soured a little on Oregon in part because he now knows he can get NIL anywhere and the Big 10 and SEC are far better conferences than whatever Oregon is doing.  

-It’s unlikely that the IMG guy from Indiana is going to get anywhere close to what his camp thinks should be the number. Texas has a great shot here if that’s the case. 

-They’d take 5 DTs and 3 Es. At DT, they probably won’t land all 5 and could have one head elsewhere late if they land commitments from all 5. 

-At E, Simmons, Omeozulu, and Okoye are all takes. They are all weird recruitments. For Simmons, does he pull the trigger soon? If he doesn’t and visits not Austin at the end of July, you’ll know that this one will remain crazy until the end. 

-Okoye is taking visits and the mom is staying home. Predict how that one goes down. No one I know can. 

-I’ve not taken the Ross recruitment seriously, but he has a parent in education and taking Texas seriously because of it. If he commits this summer, it’s probably UF. If he doesn’t commit this summer and visits Texas again in the fall, then we should take his recruitment seriously.

-The Hudson recruitment isn’t over. There are also major red flags showing up. He’s also a WR so one man’s red flag is another man’s “he’s a prima donna WR” shrug. 

-If Texas takes Hampton’s commitment it is to push further back on Bama and a complete lottery ticket. He’s Agiye Hall and they’d need to crack the code for him to be productive.  I’m fine with it, I guess? Kind of also fine with it if they punt. 

-Texas got straight up beat on the Smith recruitment but will keep at it. 

-Texas will get 3-5 more commitments between now and next Sunday barring something weird. 

There’s probably other stuff that I can’t remember without prompting. 

McKinley? Wingo?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Okoye is taking visits and the mom is staying home. Predict how that one goes down. No one I know can. 

I think Justin wells said he’s doing it on his own right now and once it’s narrowed down his mom may make some trips. Academics is apparently huge. Mom watch with this one for sure down the stretch. 

48 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

McKinley? Wingo?

Everyone is bullish. From an NIL perspective, those guys would be important on the roster. 

30 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm curious as to how many DBs the staff would take.  Wilson and JJR are already in, what about Mack, Davis, Black, Gibson and Bridges; certainly they wouldn't take all seven? Not to mention Lair.

I know people are bullish on Mack. I am not. For one, I think Texas could have 5 DBs before September. For two, he’s a really important recruit for Wilson at LSU.  So Texas and Mack would have to both be okay with 6 DBs, Mack would have to really not be interested in LSU, and there would have to be some found money once he’s on campus for NIL. 

I think Black is Texas and not that far away. I think Davis goes to ATM. Gipson to Clemson. Bridges to Texas. Lair to Texas. Mack to LSU. 

I guess if academics are a big deal, that changes things for Texas and UF in the Mack recruitment. I feel like I haven’t heard much about academics for that one though. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Some thoughts after chatting up some friends across the span of the recruiting realm. 

-Gipson would be an impressive get in that he and his family visited Clemson three times this spring and summer and spent their own money to do it on two of those. That’s usually the team that wins the recruitment. 

-If OSU throws a crazy bag at Baker, maybe he goes there. Texas is prepared to compete within reason and he’s soured a little on Oregon in part because he now knows he can get NIL anywhere and the Big 10 and SEC are far better conferences than whatever Oregon is doing.  

-It’s unlikely that the IMG guy from Indiana is going to get anywhere close to what his camp thinks should be the number. Texas has a great shot here if that’s the case. 

-They’d take 5 DTs and 3 Es. At DT, they probably won’t land all 5 and could have one head elsewhere late if they land commitments from all 5. 

-At E, Simmons, Omeozulu, and Okoye are all takes. They are all weird recruitments. For Simmons, does he pull the trigger soon? If he doesn’t and visits not Austin at the end of July, you’ll know that this one will remain crazy until the end. 

-I’ve not taken the Ross recruitment seriously, but he has a parent in education and taking Texas seriously because of it. If he commits this summer, it’s probably UF. If he doesn’t commit this summer and visits Texas again in the fall, then we should take his recruitment seriously.

-The Hudson recruitment isn’t over. There are also major red flags showing up. He’s also a WR so one man’s red flag is another man’s “he’s a prima donna WR” shrug. 

-If Texas takes Hampton’s commitment it is to push further back on Bama and a complete lottery ticket. He’s Agiye Hall and they’d need to crack the code for him to be productive.  I’m fine with it, I guess? Kind of also fine with it if they punt. 

-Texas got straight up beat on the Smith recruitment but will keep at it. 

-Texas will get 3-5 more commitments between now and next Sunday barring something weird. 

There’s probably other stuff that I can’t remember without prompting. 

maika monroe smoking GIF by A24

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls