Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

39 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Wow, hope the coach is ok, interesting twist with John Jancek coaching DL for it appears the first time in his career, replacing Lindsey who was going on 20 yrs+ in that role.

Central Michigan DL coach and DC at lots of places and he played DL at Grand Valley State.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry on Simmons

Reveal hidden contents

I'm going to break down my thoughts on Collin Simmons recruitment in three parts. 

The Beginning:
Having made a number of visits to Duncanville High over the last few years and talking to the No. 5 ranked prospect in the 2024 class, there were some key takeaways. 

He always maintained he would play in the SEC. That has not changed. I do not expect that to change. 

LSU was always a school mentioned in the last 2-3 trips by the school or convos about the recruitment. He genuinely likes LSU. 

Simmons also always said Texas would be in his recruitment until the end. He's got a lot of familiarity with Texas, as do people in his circle. 

Both Texas and LSU were mentioned early, and often along with other SEC programs. 

The battle:
Simmons continued to speak highly of LSU. Prior to his junior year, LSU was in a good spot for sure. Jamar Cain leaving the Tigers for the Broncos definitely slowed the momentum. 

The entire Texas staff has done a very good job in this recruitment. Steve Sarkisian, Jeff Banks and the entire defensive staff. The official visit June 23-25 was a home run for Texas, and exactly what the Longhorns needed. Simmons does feel a bond with a number of Longhorns players. And the Alpha Simmons knows he has the opportunity to the EDGE version of Kelvin Banks for the Texas program. 

The end comes August 10:
I do believe Colin Simmons knows where he is going. The timeline moving up illustrates that he knows where he is going. Now it comes to announcing out his announced three finalist with LSU and Texas continuing to be center stage. 

There has been little doubt about who would be the players at the end of this recruitment, and that Simmons would end up staying close to home. That has not changed with anyone that myself or Justin Wells have spoken with on visits to the school or with people very close to the recruitment. It's been very consistent. 

My On3 RPM sits with Texas. And it remains with Texas as I hit post. Of course, we will keep monitoring the recruitment. There is a week until the announcement.

Gerry's ovaries are on the table. Or rather his Boudin balls. 🤘🐂

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry on Simmons

Hide contents

I'm going to break down my thoughts on Collin Simmons recruitment in three parts. 

The Beginning:
Having made a number of visits to Duncanville High over the last few years and talking to the No. 5 ranked prospect in the 2024 class, there were some key takeaways. 

He always maintained he would play in the SEC. That has not changed. I do not expect that to change. 

LSU was always a school mentioned in the last 2-3 trips by the school or convos about the recruitment. He genuinely likes LSU. 

Simmons also always said Texas would be in his recruitment until the end. He's got a lot of familiarity with Texas, as do people in his circle. 

Both Texas and LSU were mentioned early, and often along with other SEC programs. 

The battle:
Simmons continued to speak highly of LSU. Prior to his junior year, LSU was in a good spot for sure. Jamar Cain leaving the Tigers for the Broncos definitely slowed the momentum. 

The entire Texas staff has done a very good job in this recruitment. Steve Sarkisian, Jeff Banks and the entire defensive staff. The official visit June 23-25 was a home run for Texas, and exactly what the Longhorns needed. Simmons does feel a bond with a number of Longhorns players. And the Alpha Simmons knows he has the opportunity to the EDGE version of Kelvin Banks for the Texas program. 

The end comes August 10:
I do believe Colin Simmons knows where he is going. The timeline moving up illustrates that he knows where he is going. Now it comes to announcing out his announced three finalist with LSU and Texas continuing to be center stage. 

There has been little doubt about who would be the players at the end of this recruitment, and that Simmons would end up staying close to home. That has not changed with anyone that myself or Justin Wells have spoken with on visits to the school or with people very close to the recruitment. It's been very consistent. 

My On3 RPM sits with Texas. And it remains with Texas as I hit post. Of course, we will keep monitoring the recruitment. There is a week until the announcement.

just heard that on my run this evening during his livestream with Bobby. Made me fist pump...

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry on Simmons

Hide contents

The Beginning:

The battle:

The end comes August 10:

I’m still interested what Wells held back on one of the IT lives that was mentioned earlier

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My favorite part of the LSU bit is how they set the story up. It's an obvious, real world apples to apples comparison. 

"You can have 750k now, or 750k every year of your life, including some right now. WHICH ARE YOU GOING TO CHOOSE SEE WE ARE TEACHING MEN TO FISH!!!"

No fucking shit, my 5 year old has mastered that fucking concept. And I'm sure that is EXACTLY the kind of scenario and math that is invovled with Simmons. 

Seriously fucking morons. 

In a related note, and I type this knowing full well that waterhead was attempting to referening "teaching to fish" meaning chances of getting to the NFL, but I can't help myself just out of curiosity.

image.png.2de1b88b83e9878bbe259746b205669d.png

and

image.png.2276b8893e7aaa890f0f19533af68053.png

You know it's 100% factually bulletproof becuase I typed it right into the chrome browser bar. Is a 22% higher starting salary better? Maybe they'll try to counter that there's better industry and job opportunties in Texas versus Louisianna while completely missing that fucking point to rebut. 

But in Boudin dollars that makes you a fucking millionaire!

Gerry said something in one of the livestreams earlier in the week that may be relevant. He was asked whether we had any silent commitments and said that we did, but “that doesn’t mean the player hasn’t told another school he’s coming there as well.”  Lots of tea leaves indicating that Simmons did a silent commit on his OV weekend to Texas. Sounds like he’s also probably given LSU some strong indications he’s leaning their way as well. 

Gonna be a long week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, tokamak said:

An aggy on an LSU board simping because obviously any SEC win is an aggy win. LSU fan replies that they ultimately can’t match Texas’s top dollar. 

With that kind of Aggie intelligence, LSU will get neither. One to Texas, one to OU. But neither are SEC ready, anyway. 

15 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

When was the last time we got a commit from a top 50 or 75 DE/Edge rusher? 

reviewing who finished up in classes:

• Alfred Collins was #32 in composite for class of 2020.
  • someone below mentioned Erick Fowler, he was the next one back - class of 2016, #78 in composite
  • Derick Roberson was #100 in 2014.
  • Shiro Davis was #73 in 2012.
  • Jackson Jeffcoat was #7 in 2010. Reggie Wilson was #35.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

reviewing who finished up in classes:

• Alfred Collins was #32 in composite for class of 2020.
  • someone below mentioned Erick Fowler, he was the next one back - class of 2016, #78 in composite
  • Derick Roberson was #100 in 2014.
  • Shiro Davis was #73 in 2012.
  • Jackson Jeffcoat was #7 in 2010. Reggie Wilson was #35.

Aligns perfectly with the last time we had anyone reach 10+ sacks (Jeffcoat and Ced Reed in 2013). Disgusting.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls