Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

these are just two incredible back to back posts

image.png.f944cc4070bb0bec35dc2d44a8a3aa60.png

Ketch reads this board.

For the record, (just so ctj can tell me I'm wrong), it has to be Black. Simmons and Sark got him to commit publicly to combat all the LSU bullshit going on. I don't think Mack and McKinley are ready.

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ketch reads this board.

For the record, (just so ctj can tell me I'm wrong), it has to be Black. Simmons and Sark got him to commit publicly to combat all the LSU bullshit going on. I don't think Mack and McKinley are ready.

The timeline for Black has been murky and McKinley already has a date set. Gerry mentioned last night McKinley and his family were basically going off the grid for the next week as they sit down to make their decision

Mack is only guy on the board who the 9.95ers have consistently said is deciding at some point before the season. I’m going to bet it is him considering Gerry made a comment that he expected the commitment to be public in the coming days.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The timeline for Black has been murky and McKinley already has a date set. Gerry mentioned last night McKinley and his family were basically going off the grid for the next week as they sit down to make their decision

Mack is only guy on the board who the 9.95ers have consistently said is deciding at some point before the season. I’m going to bet it is him considering Gerry made a comment that he expected the commitment to be public in the coming days.

I’m also assuming one of the DBs. Could be either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry Hamilton: Texas Longhorns path to a third straight top 5 recruiting class

The Texas Longhorns have signed two straight top 5 classes, and there is a path to a third straight after the commitment of Colin Simmons. Steve Sarkisian and staff signed the No. 5 ranked class in 2022, and followed up with the No. 3 ranked class in 2023. The 2022 class was made up of two 5-stars, 10 prospects ranked in the top 150 nationally, and 15 ranked in the top 300. The 2023 class included four 5-stars, nine prospects ranked in the top 100, and 15 ranked in the top 300.

A third straight top 10 class is a sound bet with a number of highly ranked prospects remaining on the board, and several commitments that are expected to make senior season rankings jumps. Texas currently sits at No. 17 in the class rankings with 16 commitments. Nine teams currently ranked ahead of Texas have 20 or more commitments. The lone team ranked ahead of Texas that has less commitments is USC (No. 15), and they have 15 commitments. Inside Texas takes a look at the Longhorns path to a third straight top 5 class.

The commitments

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 496 (3-star)

Christian Clark, RB, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 260 (4-star)

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Gainesville (Fla.) IMG Academy #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 64 (4-star)

Freddie Dubose Jr., WR, Schertz (Texas) Smithson Valley #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 207 (4-star)

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 340 (4-star)

Jordan Washington, TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 487 (3-star)

Daniel Cruz, IOL, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 197 (4-star)

Nate Kibble, IOL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 481 (3-star)

D’antre Robinson, DL, Orlando (Fla.) Jones #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 404 (3-star)

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 405 (3-star)

Melvin Hills, DL, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 606 (3-star)

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 5 (5-star)

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Fort Worth (Texas) IMG Academy #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 182 (4-star)

Santana Wilson, CB/N, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 232 (4-star)

Aeryn Hampton, WR/ATH, Daingerfield (Texas) High #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 159 (4-star)

Michael Kern, P, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas #AllGasNoBrakes
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 1722 (3-star)

Texas has to hit on two more 5-stars

The commitment of Simmons presented the opportunity for a third straight top 5 class. In order for Texas to be in the mix for the No. 3, No. 4 or No. 5 class come December, they will need to hit on two of the four 5-stars remaining on the board that there is a real shot to land.

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 22 (5-star)
In play: Texas, Ohio State, Oregon, Nebraska

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 23 (5-star)
In play: Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Texas A&M. McKinley will announce his decision September 1.

Ryan Wingo, WR, Saint Louis (Mo.) University
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 24 (5-star)
In play: Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, Texas A&M, Georgia

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 25 (5-star)
In play: Texas leads Texas A&M, LSU, Ohio State and Oregon

Texas in play for a number of Top 300 ranked prospects

Along with hitting on two more 5-stars, the Longhorns must also keep adding top 300 ranked prospects to the class. Texas will likely need to add three or four more top 300 ranked prospects. Winning out over Florida and LSU in the coming weeks for Wardell Mack would be a big one as he is a top 100 ranked prospect.

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 72 (4-star)
In play: Texas, Florida, LSU, Florida State

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 243 (4-star)
In play: Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oregon and LSU

Danny Okoye, EDGE, Tulsa (Okla.) NOAH Homeschool
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 190 (4-star)
In play: Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, LSU

Solomon Williams, EDGE, Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 256 (4-star)
In play: Alabama, Texas, Oregon, Texas A&M, UCF

Blake Ivy, IOL, League City (Texas) Clear Springs
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 113 (4-star)
In play: Texas A&M leads LSU and Texas

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 146 (4-star)
In play: Auburn, Texas, Michigan State, USC

Wild card recruitments:

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 6 (5-star)
In play: Texas Tech leads Texas and others

Terry Bussey, WR, Timpson (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 19 (5-star)
The decision: Bussey will choose out of Texas A&M, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama September 28.

Weston Davis, OT, Beaumont (Texas) United – Texas A&M verbal
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 101 (4-star)

Gerry Hamilton: Three Texas commits that compare to current Longhorns

When taking a look at the commitments in the Longhorns 2024 class, there are a few that have similarities to current Texas players. That doesn’t mean all, to be fair. There isn’t a player at Texas that compares to Colin Simmons. But for those recruits that do have similarities to current Texas players, it could be for a number of reasons. Could be frame similarities. Could be rankings similarities coming out of high school. And it could be the skill set of

Jordon Johnson-Rubell and Jalen Catalon

There are several similarities between the Texas commit known as JJ-R and Catalon. They start physically. Both players are around 5-foot-10. They get dinged for that in the rankings process. Both weigh and weighed in the 180-185-pound range coming out of high school. And neither will set the world on first from a testing standpoint. On the field, both are all-around safeties that are very instinctive. And both have the versatility to play the run game around the box, and make heady plays on the ball in coverage. JJ-R is a 4-star ranked No. 182 in the country headed into his senior year. Catalon was a 4-star ranked No. 262 overall in the 2019 class. Catalon has played well above his ranking when healthy. And JJ-R has a very good chance to do the same.

Christian Clark and Jonathon Brooks

Where Clark and Brooks compare most favorably is in their versatility as players at the high school level. Brooks certainly stuffed the stat sheet more at small town Hallettsville High, but they have similarities. Clark starred at Mountain Pointe High on both sides of the ball as a junior. He rushed for over 700 yards, logged about 400 yards in receptions and played a lot of snaps at safety; tallying around 30 tackles with an interception. Brooks put up monster numbers running the ball for the Brahmas, but also put up nearly 300 yards receiving as a senior and played safety when needed. Entering Clark’s senior season, they have national ranking similarities. Clark is currently a On3 Industry Ranking 4-star ranked No. 260 overall. Brooks ended his high school career with a 4-star ranking, including No. 296 overall. Both have good athleticism overall, and high-end vision. Their frames are not similar, however. Clark has a thicker frame that will carry 215’ish pounds in time, while Brooks is 207 entering year three in Austin.

Alex January and T’Vondre Sweat

January is a much bigger prospect coming out of high school. He is 6-foot-4.5, 319-pounds entering his senior season. Huntsville High native Sweat was 6-foot-3.5 and around 260-265-pounds as a senior football and basketball player. The now is where they could be similar. Sweat has developed to be a 6-foot-4, 355-360-pound over the ball player that can play a shade effectively, and play as a two-gap player. He’s strong at the point of attack, can be disruptive in the run game and can will effect passing lanes with long arms timed well. January has similar upside as a player. He will likely be a 6-foot-4.5, 340-345-pound over the ball player that can shade with similar strengths. January enters his senior campaign as a 3-star ranked No. 405 overall in the On3 Industry Ranking. Sweat came out as a 3-star prospect ranked No. 660 overall nationally. Sweat has clearly out played his national ranking. I believe January will end up a 4-star and ranked inside the top 250 nationally.

• Hook 'Em 4

The Stampede: Intel on seven five-stars and two other top priority targets
Detailed recruiting notes on a plethora of the Longhorns top targets set to come off the board in the coming months.
Horns247 Staff

(Interesting comment on Black, in light of the Gerry's hi/silent-commit stuff: "If I hadn’t entered in a prediction at that time, I would have this weekend ...")

Spoiler

The Stampede: Intel on seven five-stars and two other top priority targets
Detailed recruiting notes on a plethora of the Longhorns top targets set to come off the board in the coming months.
Horns247 Staff

After landing the number one player on the board for the entire 2024 recruiting cycle on Thursday, the Texas Longhorns recruiting machine has no plans to slow down as Steve Sarkisian and Co. have more than a handful of five-star targets still left on the board.

With the majority of the class already in the boat ahead of the season, the Longhorns staff will aim to utilize the remaining four months of the 2024 recruiting cycle to close on their top targets, just as they’ve done before in the previous two cycles.

Who are some of the most important recruits left on the board for Texas and where do the Longhorns stand with them?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we go in-depth on the recruitments of nine of Texas’ top targets including seven five-star’s.

Listed in order by Top247 ranking—

RYAN WINGO, WR, ST. LOUIS UNIVERSITY (MO.)

With the Longhorns expected to lose each starting pass-catcher following the conclusion of the 2023 season, Steve Sarkisian doesn’t have a bigger target left on the offensive board than the nation’s No. 2 wide receiver Ryan Wingo. With a commitment date set for Dec. 20, Wingo’s decision will likely be the last of the remaining five-star targets. Like many recruitments in the modern era of college football recruiting, NIL is a topic, especially factoring in the new state of Missouri NIL bill that is set to go into effect on Aug. 28. Other than plans for Wingo to be in Austin for the Wyoming game, there aren’t any dates set for upcoming visits but it’s worth noting the five-star still has official visits available for Tennesee and Texas A&M. Georgia and Michigan are also lingering with the Volunteers and Aggies, but the vibe of this recruitment points to it coming down to Missouri and Texas. Steve Sarkisian and his staff have shown their expertise when it comes to closing time and with Wingo’s decision date set for Early Signing Day a commitment from the No. 7 overall prospect in the nation would serve as icing on the cake for the 2024 class. (Jordan Scruggs)

JORDAN ROSS, EDGE, VESTAVIA HILLS (AL.)

Remember him? The 247Sports five-star tells Horns247 he intends to visit a Texas game this fall. Things have gone relatively quiet with Ross since his June visit slate, one that included an official visit to Texas. But he tells us contact with Texas is alive and well, particularly with Steve Sarkisian. Tennessee is viewed as the top competition for Ross at this point in time. The Alabama native recently tweeted a commitment date is “coming soon.” (Hank South)

TERRY BUSSEY, ATH, TIMPSON

Sunday served as a birthday and the release of a top five for the No. 1 ATH in the nation Terry Bussey, who named Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M as his finalists. I was able to speak with a source close to the five-star on Sunday evening who passed on that Texas is pushing hard to get Bussey on campus for the Longhorns week three game vs Wyoming. The month of September will be crucial as Bussey will only have four weekends available to take visits ahead of his commitment date of Sept. 28. The nation’s No. 15 prospect has only taken official trips to Oklahoma and Texas so far, as the trio of Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M are also bumping shoulders with the Red River Rivals for planned visit dates for September weekends. Texas A&M is the leader on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, and the intel I received from speaking with sources yesterday further backs up that Texas A&M is in pole position a month and a half out from the decision date. For Texas to emerge at the top of the podium next month, the Longhorns will need to beat out future SEC foes for a Saturday date in September. (Jordan Scruggs)

MICAH HUDSON, WR, LAKE BELTON

After a rollercoaster month of June that featured several highly publicized visits to Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech, noise around Lake Belton five-star Micah Hudson died down in July. After seeing Hudson on Friday and speaking with sources throughout the weekend, more twists and turns could be expected as the five-star’s commitment timeline is up in the air with no visits marked on the calendar. For a variety of reasons Texas Tech is still the leader in this one, and it’s without doubt that for Texas to have a contending shot at this race they will need to overcome several obstacles, as will Texas A&M. Timing and win-loss records have the potential to play a factor in this one the later it goes into the fall. (Jordan Scruggs)

BRANDON BAKER, OT, MATER DEI (CA.)

If you’re looking for a top-tier recruit Texas has consistently improved its position for throughout the summer, look no further than five-star offensive tackle Brandon Baker. The Mater Dei product was on campus in June for an official visit, as well as OVs to Georgia and Ohio State. As Horns247 has consistently reported, Texas is squarely in the race alongside Oregon and Ohio State. But as we get closer to the season, the efforts Texas has put in look to be turning things more from cautiously optimistic to confident in UT’s chances to add Baker. Probably still some twists and turns here, but this is one to continue monitoring closely. (Hank South)

KOBE BLACK, CB, WACO CONNALLY

The highest priority in-state target left on the board, Waco Connally CB Kobe Black named a top five of LSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, and Texas A&M last week and the buzz around the Longhorns has never been louder. In what was a similar situation to that of recent five-star Texas commit Colin Simmons, I entered in my 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of the Longhorns on the first night of Black’s Texas official visit. If I hadn’t entered in a prediction at that time, I would have this weekend as things continue to trend to Black joining his former Connally teammates Jelani McDonald and Tre Wisner in Austin. As far as timeline goes, it’s expected to be a while before a decision is made, but in speaking with any source around this recruitment it’s clear that Texas is setting the pace in the race for the nation’s No. 2 cornerback. Visits that could still be taken ahead of a commitment have the chance to change this recruitment, but for now, I’m loving my Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas. (Jordan Scruggs)

DOMINICK MCKINLEY, DL, ACADIANA (LA.)

Sticking in the Bayou State, another major target in 247Sports’ five-star defensive tackle Dominick McKinley is closing in on his decision. As Horns247 reported last week, McKinley is set to announce his college commitment on Sept. 1, Acadiana’s season-opener. While at times, depending on who you ask, LSU has presented the top competition, this has quickly morphed into a Red River Shootout race for the elite talent. Jordan has gone more in-depth on this in past reporting, but sources continue to watch the Longhorns and Sooners here for McKinley. Others like LSU remain in play, as does Ohio State. Texas A&M isn’t seen as much of a contender. As for my Crystal Ball projection in favor of UT from last week, I still feel confident in Texas’ chances ahead of next month. (Hank South)

WARDELL MACK, CB, MARRERO JOHN EHRET (LA.)

Texas saw defensive back targets Corian Gipson and Selman Bridges commit elsewhere this summer. But fortunately for the Longhorns staff, the cupboard isn’t bare when it comes to options at the cornerback position this cycle. Four-star Louisiana native Wardell Mack continues to trend towards Texas, according to several sources. This coming off a late June official visit to Austin. Florida is presenting the heaviest competition to date, and both home-state LSU and Florida State haven’t thrown in the towel. But multiple sources feel it’s the Longhorns recruitment to lose at this point in time. Mack himself targeted a late August or early September decision when we last caught up with him. "Sark tells me he's really high on me as a player and that he thinks I can come in and play early in the SEC when they make the move," Mack said after his Texas official visit. "He thinks I'm one of the best players in the nation and I'm a major priority for them." The Texas staff has targeted a handful of Louisiana natives this cycle, and is already winning its share of SEC recruiting battles. Mack would be another major win in future conference rival territory. (Hank South)

DANNY OKOYE, EDGE, TULSA NOAH HOMESCHOOL (OK.)

We saw the 247Sports composite four-star edge rusher drop his top six on Sunday. While Texas made the cut and is still actively involved, one source I spoke with on Sunday felt it was anyone’s race as to where Okoye is going to end up. And that could be a positive for Texas depending on how you look at it. Visits are going to be impactful in the decision-making process. We heard a lot of positive buzz in Texas’ favor after his official visit to Austin in June, but that somewhat quelled in the weeks to follow with other trips being taken, with a program like Tennessee gaining confidence. He’ll return to the Forty Acres for the Wyoming game next month, which could jumpstart things back into the Longhorns’ favor. An official visit scheduled to Knoxville at the end of September will be one to watch, as will a visit to Oklahoma for the Sooners’ season opener. Bottom line: probably a ways to go here with the visit slate and Okoye targeting a mid October to late November decision. However, Okoye hasn’t ruled out spontaneously committing either. (Hank South)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Ketch reads this board.

Which LSU bullshit? That the #1 commit in the state of Texas for 2023 - who visited LSU 7 times and said it was his dream school - just committed to UT ?

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Which LSU bullshit? That the #1 commit in the state of Texas for 2023 - who visited LSU 7 times and said it was his dream school - just committed to UT ?

No, Dakorien Moore and Caden Durham. Simmons, Mack, and McKinley would be great, and we won't miss Durham, but we need to keep pounding the message into cajun to stay the fuck out of Dallas and Duncanville.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

He's saying, I believe, that Mack decision's to commit to Florida may have been influenced by Black's silent commitment to Texas. It's all supposition of course.

Yes. Likely the coaches decided 1st come, 1st serve and they would be done at 2 for right now. Even though they had Mack higher on the board. So, the dream DB class is down to Wilson, Rubell, and Black. I guess Lair pretty much as a spot right now as well.

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Y'all I'm pretty sure we just got beat for Mack. Gerry has been saying UF was Mack's personal favorite. Which makes their confidence a little weird

IT's info seems industry average when it's not an NIL recruitment

Mom apparently really liked UT. Guess the UF staff won her over.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes. Likely the coaches decided 1st come, 1st serve and they would be done at 2 for right now. Even though they had Mack higher on the board. So, the dream DB class is down to Wilson, Rubell, and Black. I guess Lair pretty much as a spot right now as well.

With NIL, it's not about how many you are willing to take, it's about how much you're willing to pay for each subsequent one.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I haven't seen anything that makes me think they wouldn't have happily taken Black and Mack 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Y'all I'm pretty sure we just got beat for Mack. Gerry has been saying UF was Mack's personal favorite. Which makes their confidence a little weird

IT's info seems industry average when it's not an NIL recruitment

As much as I like Gerry and Bobby, IT has a pretty bad track record on prognostication at this point.  

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I guess the copium take is that this staff has flipped a lot of DBs. Jaylon Guilbeau, Terrance Brooks, Warren Roberson, and Xavion Brice were all straight flips. Jelani McDonald had also previously been committed to another school. 

My copium take for any DB or WR miss in recruiting is the portal. You can't build a unit from the portal but you can definitely find quality starters.

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls