Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

13 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The graft choice is one of the biggest influences on how fast players can be released to full go. Bone-tendon-bone autograft means harvesting a bit of patella, a bit of tibia, and the patellar tendon connecting them to use as the new ACL. The literature supports trusting the maturation of the graft at 3 months with return to play occasionally as early as three months but with the average closer to 10 months. A lot of that average likely has to do with the fact that mid-season surgery for one-season-per-year athletes means most of a year until the next game. For the average human, quadriceps tendon autograft (your own stuff) or hamstring allograft (from the bone bank) often makes more sense, but those are slower to incorporate (to go from being a graft implanted in the knee to being an ACL). Even with the "slower" grafts, I've seen people back at the competitive level as early as 5 months.

TLDR: It is optimistic, but not foolishly so, to look for Brooks to be 100% next season.

https://news.ohsu.edu/2022/10/07/new-technique-for-acl-repair-taps-bodys-own-healing-power

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What’s your point? I provided when the injury occurred, surgery date, and the date of his return to on field activity. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What’s your point? I provided when the injury occurred, surgery date, and the date of his return to on field activity. 

My point is that from Corum’s mouth to your ears it was never an ACL tear.  Some bullshit website that I’ve never heard of provided some erroneous report that has people thinking that Brooks will be back in less than a year.  I don’t buy it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Repair is still a bit of a novelty. I've only done it once, and that knee was crying out for it. The fastest way back onto the field in my opinion is BTB. The BEAR repair protocol only begins graduated return to sports after 6 months.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

My point is that from Corum’s mouth to your ears it was never an ACL tear.  Some bullshit website that I’ve never heard of provided some erroneous report that has people thinking that Brooks will be back in less than a year.  I don’t buy it.

Well you’re fucking stupid. He’ll be back by fall camp. It’s not 1972, eat shit. Respectfully 

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

Repair is still a bit of a novelty. I've only done it once, and that knee was crying out for it. The fastest way back onto the field in my opinion is BTB. The BEAR repair protocol only begins graduated return to sports after 6 months.

A lot depends on how bad the tear is, correct? Like a partial, full, clean, ruptured, etc?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well you’re fucking stupid. He’ll be back by fall camp. It’s not 1972, eat shit. Respectfully 

A lot depends on how bad the tear is, correct? Like a partial, full, clean, ruptured, etc?

Do you ever get tired of being a dumbass?  Here’s another source once again proving you’re fucking retarded.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/platform/amp/2022/12/20/23520041/michigan-football-blake-corum-nfl-draft-decision-sideline-fiesta-bowl

On the podcast, Corum confirmed that it’s a meniscus injury, which isn’t as serious as something like a torn ACL or MCL. Corum is still using crutches but the good news is he’s on a path to recovery and being 100%. Corum said it’s going to be a couple of months.

Can you read you fucking baboon!?

• Hook 'Em 1

Brooks has basically nothing to gain by coming back and a lot to lose. He's got 10 good games of film out there and was the top RB on most people's board before he got hurt. That's enough to for some team to roll the dice on a potentially blue chip player with a Day 3 pick. Roschon got 800k guaranteed for signing as a Rd4 pick. Brooks does not come from money and Surly paid him 3500 dollars to tear it up for Texas this year.

Now what if his recovery looks more like Neyor's or Michael Gallup. His 2024 film is what he'll be judged on, not this year. Even Blake Corum who has been posited as an extremely optimistic "he did it so everyone should be able to" does not look like the same back this year as he did last year. If his knee isnt full speed in 2024 he can get paid and nurse it on IR in the NFL. If he's not fullspeed at Texas he may be SOL

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Do you ever get tired of being a dumbass?  Here’s another source once again proving you’re fucking retarded.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/platform/amp/2022/12/20/23520041/michigan-football-blake-corum-nfl-draft-decision-sideline-fiesta-bowl

Can you read you fucking baboon!?

Why do I need to read when I already know his timeline? Don’t ever get tired of acting like you know what you’re talking about but completely wrong and stupid?

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes. Partial usually means no surgery. Tear and rupture are different words that essentially mean the same thing in this context. Repair (a la BEAR) is normally only for acute (recent) tears in the middle of the ligament, as opposed to avulsion (where it tears off of its attachment). There are some exceptions and nuance to all of this. The bottom line is that you need two things to advance out of the more "PT" phase of rehab and start working on sport-specific drills (allowing cutting and pivoting on the operative knee). You need good restoration of function, usually graded largely on quadriceps strength, and you need to be able to trust the weak link in the chain physically, generally the site of incorporation of the graft to the bones on either side of the knee. The graft incorporation is faster for bone and with native tissue. It is slower with purely tendinous grafts and with donor grafts.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

@Magus Ossiswith the goods.  

My experience is that high-level athletes without a complicated meniscus tear, a BPTB graft, and an attentive/aggressive rehab program can be back well within 9 months.  You know that any prolonged immobilization of his knee will set him back next fall more than anything. I’d be upbeat about his rehab program at least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

You must be an osteopath. 

33 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Brooks has basically nothing to gain by coming back and a lot to lose. He's got 10 good games of film out there and was the top RB on most people's board before he got hurt. That's enough to for some team to roll the dice on a potentially blue chip player with a Day 3 pick. Roschon got 800k guaranteed for signing as a Rd4 pick. Brooks does not come from money and Surly paid him 3500 dollars to tear it up for Texas this year.

Now what if his recovery looks more like Neyor's or Michael Gallup. His 2024 film is what he'll be judged on, not this year. Even Blake Corum who has been posited as an extremely optimistic "he did it so everyone should be able to" does not look like the same back this year as he did last year. If his knee isnt full speed in 2024 he can get paid and nurse it on IR in the NFL. If he's not fullspeed at Texas he may be SOL

No one is drafting an injured RB in the 4th round, last time that happened was 10 years ago and the Marcus Lattimore retired without ever playing a down in the NFL

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Brooks has basically nothing to gain by coming back and a lot to lose. He's got 10 good games of film out there and was the top RB on most people's board before he got hurt.

Brooks returning is almost a certainty now. RBs already have little value in the draft to most NFL teams and he has torn ACL. Early reports have already hinted as much. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

No one is drafting an injured RB in the 4th round, last time that happened was 10 years ago and the Marcus Lattimore retired without ever playing a down in the NFL

It happens. I guess you don't keep up with the draft. Teams will gamble on upside

2014 Jaylon Smith 2nd round 

2019 Jeffrey Simmons tore his ACL in predraft workouts. Drafted 19th

2021 Caleb Farley drafted 21st overall despite extensive injury history 

2022 Jamison Williams torn ACL in the SEC championship game. Drafted 22nd overall

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

It happens. I guess you don't keep up with the draft. Teams will gamble on upside

2022 Jamison Williams torn ACL in the SEC championship game. Drafted 22nd overall

Those aren't RBs. That's the point. 

RBs already have lesser value in the draft than they did 10 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

None of those guys play RB and 3/4 were seen as much higher upside than brooks currently is 

He will go undrafted and can’t workout to make a practice squad.  His best bet is to hope for a NiL deal and to show out next year with hopefully fewer reps to keep him healthy.  

Looks like Quinn is likely to come back too but for different reasons.  Who knows, maybe JT sanders comes back as well!  Bring the whole gang back!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Those aren't RBs. That's the point. 

RBs already have lesser value in the draft than they did 10 years ago. 

Veteran running backs on their 2nd contract have less value than 10 years ago. Cheap running backs in the draft still have value. 2 were drafted in the top 12 and 7 on the first 2 days.

25 minutes ago, Fug said:

None of those guys play RB and 3/4 were seen as much higher upside than brooks currently is 

Those guys fell 10 spots at most, but Brooks is gonna drop from potential 1st RD completely out of the draft? His injury is so risky no NFL team will touch him but simultaneously we believe he'll be good to go week 1 if he comes back to Texas?

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He will go undrafted and can’t workout to make a practice squad.  His best bet is to hope for a NiL deal and to show out next year with hopefully fewer reps to keep him healthy.  

Looks like Quinn is likely to come back too but for different reasons.  Who knows, maybe JT Sanders comes back as well!  Bring the whole gang back!

I was thinking about JT earlier today. 

He hasn’t had an All-American type season like we all thought that he would. And his blocking looks like it’s his first year playing tackle football.

I am sure that JT will be drafted, but I would expect late 3rd to 4th round rather than the high 2nd round like we all thought. 

That said, NFL league minimum is like $750K and he won’t be getting that in Austin. His focus will be getting to that 2nd contract. He can learn to block in the NFL.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, someguy said:

I wonder if Hibbler is back in play with MSU firing Arnett?

Total side note, but I sat next to Zina Umeozulu for a bit at the TCU game.  I know there had previously been some questions about his frame, but he definitely looks the part.

What a coincidence - he told me he sat next to some guy

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

The graft choice is one of the biggest influences on how fast players can be released to full go. Bone-tendon-bone autograft means harvesting a bit of patella, a bit of tibia, and the patellar tendon connecting them to use as the new ACL. The literature supports trusting the maturation of the graft at 3 months with return to play occasionally as early as three months but with the average closer to 10 months. A lot of that average likely has to do with the fact that mid-season surgery for one-season-per-year athletes means most of a year until the next game. For the average human, quadriceps tendon autograft (your own stuff) or hamstring allograft (from the bone bank) often makes more sense, but those are slower to incorporate (to go from being a graft implanted in the knee to being an ACL). Even with the "slower" grafts, I've seen people back at the competitive level as early as 5 months.

TLDR: It is optimistic, but not foolishly so, to look for Brooks to be 100% next season.

Are they using BMPs or autologous stem cells to speed up integration these days?

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are they using BMPs or autologous stem cells to speed up integration these days?

People are trying augmentation, but there isn't very good evidence to show it helps yet. People are cautious about BMPs because of links to increased cancer risk in the skeletally immature population suggested by previous studies.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kiper has Quinn 9th in his draft eligible  QBs. Yeah, he’s coming back. 

the guy that's actually worth listening to (Brugler) had him at #6 in his list in his most recent top 50

• Maye 1
  • Williams 3
  • <tier break>
  • JJ McCarthy 16
  • Shedeur Sanders 24
  • <tier break>
  • Jayden Daniels 43
  • Quinn Ewers 45
  • Carson Beck 50

image.png.eab14410d7b0e3bfb3972e301b9efe28.png

if he jumps into the McCarthy 2nd tier behind the top guys then i think he goes. if he doesn't, he stays. he has a handful of games to determine that part.

Edited by NoName

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I was thinking about JT earlier today. 

He hasn’t had an All-American type season like we all thought that he would. And his blocking looks like it’s his first year playing tackle football.

I am sure that JT will be drafted, but I would expect late 3rd to 4th round rather than the high 2nd round like we all thought. 

That said, NFL league minimum is like $750K and he won’t be getting that in Austin. His focus will be getting to that 2nd contract. He can learn to block in the NFL.

The best draft guys have him going early to mid 2nd round as of now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

how can anyone take him returning/not seriously when he has 3-4 games left. potentially 33% of his season still to play (he's played in  games so far)

he isn't making a final decision to come back today, no matter what any of these dudes say.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

the guy that's actually worth listening to (Brugler) had him at #6 in his list in his most recent top 50

• Maye 1
  • Williams 3
  • <tier break>
  • JJ McCarthy 16
  • Shedeur Sanders 24
  • <tier break>
  • Jayden Daniels 43
  • Quinn Ewers 45
  • Carson Beck 50

image.png.eab14410d7b0e3bfb3972e301b9efe28.png

if he jumps into the McCarthy 2nd tier behind the top guys then i think he goes. if he doesn't, he stays. he has a handful of games to determine that part.

I have a feeling that as soon as he got in front of scouts at the combine he would shoot up draft boards after seeing him throw. He is a far higher end prospect than JJ McCarthy. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Eligible players have until Jan 16th to declare for the draft,  a lot can happen between now and then.  

I don't think any decisions have been made.  My guess is that he gone. 

To maximize his initial NFL contract he needs to stay, put on weight, get stronger, and show some durability.  Who's going to draft a guy high who has missed or been knocked out of multiple games every year he's played football?

• Hook 'Em 2