Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

There is no system that is perfect, you need a pretty large sample size and a willingness to make the right call (see the reddit block drama of the DPOY from the NBA last season)

Still if they are blocking the wrong guy, they still blocked someone, the play was a bust, a most likely sack. But the old system of QB sacks would not have done any better.
That said coaches internal stats are always better of course, but those are not exactly shared, much less to NFL scouts.

Maybe, just maybe, the game of football has too many variables for analytics to be useful
  • Like 1

I went to St. Peters before Tcu, yes that school in march madness a couple years back, and being the Peacocks…I thought the logo was cool so I rocked that. A lot of others would color in the Pea and just be walking around with “cocks” on their head thinking it was cool. I’m sure it got plenty dbags laid. It’s just confusing looking back-if you’re supporting male fertility and having a “cock”…ok fine, be that ultra alpha man. But point being is one night a huge group of athletics got lost in Greenwich Village-took the wrong stop- and let’s just say every baseball and football player with “cocks” on their head we’re sure getting plenty of attention…..yet they couldn’t figure out why guys in chaps were so interested in them. 
now this story actually ends with me leaving the group and going downtown to pick a few “things” up. Few hours later I’m in a studio meeting Curren$y and learning that whole business. It ended up working out but I’m glad that the “cocks” hat situation ended up helping me out and I got a job at a studio out of it. NTTAWW having a cock or supporting cocks as a male but it does create an interesting dilemma if others think you like “cocks” and not a giant, feathered bird. Insert NTTAWWT.gif 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

46 minutes ago, chiu1040 said:

My bad.  I actually used the search function within the thread to see if it had been mentioned and didn't see anything.

No problem, chiu, thank you for being gentlemanly. Did you just see Smith being discussed on another board, or do you happen to have personal knowledge? If it’s the latter, without divulging too much, do you happen to have any further information? Thank you.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, chiu1040 said:

My bad.  I actually used the search function within the thread to see if it had been mentioned and didn't see anything.

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

You're good. Welcome to the board. Get ready for the craziest mix of shit on the internet - oh, and UT sports too.

BTW,  if you don't know much about cheese you might want to read up on it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I went to St. Peters before Tcu, yes that school in march madness a couple years back, and being the Peacocks…I thought the logo was cool so I rocked that. A lot of others would color in the Pea and just be walking around with “cocks” on their head thinking it was cool. I’m sure it got plenty dbags laid. It’s just confusing looking back-if you’re supporting male fertility and having a “cock”…ok fine, be that ultra alpha man. But point being is one night a huge group of athletics got lost in Greenwich Village-took the wrong stop- and let’s just say every baseball and football player with “cocks” on their head we’re sure getting plenty of attention…..yet they couldn’t figure out why guys in chaps were so interested in them. 
now this story actually ends with me leaving the group and going downtown to pick a few “things” up. Few hours later I’m in a studio meeting Curren$y and learning that whole business. It ended up working out but I’m glad that the “cocks” hat situation ended up helping me out and I got a job at a studio out of it. NTTAWW having a cock or supporting cocks as a male but it does create an interesting dilemma if others think you like “cocks” and not a giant, feathered bird. Insert NTTAWWT.gif 

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

No kidding. This thread is a fucking disaster. Damned near every time I click on it and try to catch up, I wind up scrolling back up with "wait, what thread did I click on?" in my head. It's just a wall of splattered poo coming in from all directions and the heinous miasma hovering along with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

(FCB yada yada, but besides the Ewers stuff, some good quotes on Arch (that Gramps Archie gave to the Spun).)

The Insider: The latest on Quinn Ewers' future and how it affects the Texas quarterback room
In this week's edition of The Insider, we have the latest on quarterback Quinn Ewers' future and how it affects the Texas QB room and much more.

CHIP BROWN (Horns 247)

Spoiler

The Insider: The latest on Quinn Ewers' future and how it affects the Texas quarterback room
In this week's edition of The Insider, we have the latest on quarterback Quinn Ewers' future and how it affects the Texas QB room and much more.

CHIP BROWN (Horns 247)

Let's start off this week's edition of The Insider with the latest on Quinn Ewers' future and how it affects the Texas quarterback room. I wrote in The Insider on Sept. 28 that the NFL was the last thing on Ewers’ mind:

There’s a lot of noise about Quinn Ewers being projected as a high pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Just tune it out.

Why?

Because I’m told Ewers is tuning it out.

First of all, there’s a long way to go between now and then.

Secondly, I’m hearing Ewers is in no hurry to make a decision about his future.

He’s learning on the job, just 14 games into his college career. He’s enjoying his time at Texas after whirlwind decisions to leave Southlake Carroll a year early, enroll at Ohio State (for four miserable months) and then start over in Austin.

I’m hearing the NFL is the last thing on Ewers’ mind right now. Right now, he’s focused on becoming the best quarterback he can be for Texas as the Longhorns try to make the most of what could become a special season.

In talking to sources close to Ewers this week, not much has changed since Sept. 28.

The NFL is still the last thing on Ewers’ mind right now.

The redshirt sophomore quarterback is fighting through an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder to help Texas win at Iowa State Saturday night in yet another “championship game” to help the Longhorns reach their goals this season.

“He wants to help Texas win a championship,” a source close to Ewers said Wednesday. “That’s his only focus.”

One thing I’ve heard consistently from sources close to Ewers is that he feels no pressure to turn pro at the end of this season simply because he’s draft-eligible or because he’s being projected as a high selection in mock drafts.

Ewers can seek an evaluation from the NFL's College Advisory Committee afforded to underclassmen. That evaluation tells players if they're projected to be a first- or second-round pick. If they're not projected as a first- or second-round pick, they're advised to remain in school.

Sources say if Ewers feels like he needs another year of college football before turning pro, then that’s what he’ll do. That’s regardless of whether or not underclassmen receivers Adonai Mitchell and Xavier Worthy and/or junior tight end Ja'Tavion Sanders head off to the NFL after this season, and regardless of Texas moving from the Big 12 into the SEC next season with a home game against Georgia in addition to a non-conference game at Michigan on the schedule.

“He’s gonna make that decision when he’s ready,” the source said. “Whenever that is.”

The other big question Longhorn fans have is if Ewers returns to Texas, how would that affect the rest of the quarterback room?

Arch Manning and his family have always been good with Arch learning as a true freshman and competing for the two-deep in 2024. If Ewers returns, Manning would be good with competing to be in the two-deep, sources said.

Arch’s grandfather, Archie Manning, told The Spun as much last week when he was asked if he gets antsy waiting to see Arch on the field at Texas.

“Every situation is different,” Archie Manning told The Spun. “If you remember, Peyton and Eli went to school early for spring training. Peyton got thrown in for his first game as a freshman [at Tennessee]. He played a great deal that season. Tennessee had a great offensive line and two really good running backs, so that allowed him to work into it.

“Eli had what I think is the best course. He redshirted his first year [at Ole Miss], was a backup in his second year, and then started in his third year. I think it’s a big jump. Arch played 2A Football, as did Peyton and Eli. Every situation is different.

“I think the most unfortunate thing was that Quinn Ewers got hurt. He was having a great year. I think Maalik [Murphy] has done some great things filling in. Arch is happy with the decision he made. All the reports we get is that he’s doing well. He’s going to get a redshirt out of this year, and I think that’s important.”

And while most Texas fans assume Maalik Murphy might be the odd man out if Ewers returns in 2024, don’t jump to conclusions.

Those close to Murphy, including his quarterback coach in California, Danny Hernandez, have talked about how much Murphy loves Texas, loves his teammates and loves learning from Steve Sarkisian.

Murphy had interest from at least two SEC schools after Texas’ spring game and he stayed at Texas. If the NIL money is right and there’s a starting opportunity somewhere else, it might be tempting to look elsewhere.

But we’re not there yet.

There’s still a season left to finish with games to be played. The Longhorns’ goal of a Big 12 championship is still a possibility.

That’s where everyone’s focus is right now.

THE LATEST WITH OFFENSIVE LINE RECRUITING

(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)
Last week, we reported there were two names to watch along the offensive line in the wake of Auburn commit DeAndre Carter reaffirming his pledge to the Tigers.

They were a pair of Austin-area tackle prospects committed elsewhere: Jacob Ponton of Dripping Springs (committed to Texas Tech) and Ory Williams of San Marcos (committed to LSU).

Horns247 was in attendance for Ponton’s playoff game last Friday and spoke with him following the contest.

It’s clear Texas is still in the evaluation phase for the Red Raiders’ pledge and he doesn’t appear to be wavering. A Texas offer could certainly shake things up, but there hasn’t been any movement there yet.

Kyle Flood is tracking his playoff run, so we’ll continue on the wait-and-see approach with the 6-foot-7, 265-pounder.

As for Williams, he told Horns247 he could “possibly” look at returning to Austin for a visit. After checking in with sources, there isn’t a whole lot of concern as to where Williams stands with LSU, and he’s pretty locked in with the Bayou Bengals.

We’ll see if any other names emerge over the next few weeks, or if the offensive line is potentially a spot Texas tries to address in the transfer portal. — Hank South

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No kidding. This thread is a fucking disaster. Damned near every time I click on it and try to catch up, I wind up scrolling back up with "wait, what thread did I click on?" in my head. It's just a wall of splattered poo coming in from all directions and the heinous miasma hovering along with it.

c1PXZV.gif

• Haha 1

I watched Roy Williams take a slant to the house on LSU and then saw him go NCAA Football (the game) all over them and I said “hook em” from that moment on in a house of Michigan/Michigan state parents. The principal at the school my mom worked at was a head big 12 ref and he had open tickets that we found out about. Remember seeing game day at the original location a few times and have a few game balls that we got to go to. Thankfully we won every game we went to that he reffed…

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

And yet it's the best thread on Surly.