Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

8 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Legit question from somebody who only casually follows recruiting..

Is TyAnthony Smith a big deal?   3 star recruit aggie has a few higher rated LBs in that class alone..

Is it the message that we flipped somebody?   A special position of need? 

It's not just a perception thing.  Smith will be good.  He is better than his rating.  Plus, as others have said he will be the only LB recruit this class.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Jaylan Ford was a 3 star. Kenneth Murray (a guy we lost to OU) was a 3 star. Dantre Robinson is a 3 star. Justin Flowe was a 5 star.

TyAnthony is pretty good already, but he has a solid frame to add weight to without losing his athleticism.

4 minutes ago, Vermin said:

It’s a thin year at LB and we have 0 committed.

1 minute ago, Plorant said:

It's not just a perception thing.  Smith will be good.  He is better than his rating.  Plus, as others have said he will be the only LB recruit this class.  

Thank U GIF by filmeditor

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

the fact that they STILL do not have a position coach or DC announced - or any coaches yet fully announced as far as i know - is a complete failure on their end.

who is out recruiting for them?

A&M sent Tony Jerod-Eddie (who was an analyst but got promoted by ERob when he was announced as interim) and Sean Spencer, who again has yet to be formally announced and is not on their website STILL

if i am a recruit who is considering flipping how do i even know who to reach out to at A&M since there is no clarity on who is or isn't on the recruiting trail on their own website.

Here, Jerod-Eddie is showing everyone the thumb he stuck up the ass of that Cornhusker (?) player during the fumble scrum. It’s a big hit with recruits. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
22 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:
“Resources have gone into concrete”
that’s a weird way to spell “jimbos retirement fund”

He probably meant the new aggy Disneyland they're about to break ground on, but yeah that as well.

Only ride they will have will be a rollercoaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never been to an Applebee’s yet in one of more bizarre twists of my 25 years in longhorn netdom, I’ve somehow been accused of having been at one. Good to know more about a place I hope to never visit. 

28 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Thank U GIF by filmeditor

I watched Scrooged a few nights ago. I always forget how fun the ending is even though it is obviously a take on the Christmas Carol and that should be a given. Bill Murray really is hatable in the first half of that show. 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Legit question from somebody who only casually follows recruiting..

Is TyAnthony Smith a big deal?   3 star recruit aggie has a few higher rated LBs in that class alone..

Is it the message that we flipped somebody?   A special position of need? 

I had the same question. His highlights aren't bad, but he doesn't really have many "holy shit" plays. With the portal, I guess there's not much downside in taking a risk on those types of players. Also, aggy tears.

Just now, closetojumping said:

I watched Scrooged a few nights ago. I always forget how fun the ending is even though it is obviously a take on the Christmas Carol and that should be a given. Bill Murray really is hatable in the first half of that show. 

I'd say it's underrated, because I just don't hear it talked about enough in comparison to other Christmas movies.  But it's fucking great, even with the cheesy ending, and there are several hilarious lines that can fly under the radar.

After he has the vision of the waiter on fire in the restaurant:

spacer.png

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

If you haven’t gone out to chili with some business associates and thrown back draft beers and devoured southwest eggrolls and sliders you’re missing out. However I would not recommend sleeping with the drunk and extremely handsy married loan officer who has a psycho husband. 

Was his psycho husband mean to you? 

24 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Buncha kids in here. Get off my menu!

AABA3411-3C96-4ACC-B31D-DF98CAE9521B.thumb.jpeg.c1656e4b4fbbed4914084b94c80d3466.jpeg

http://yesterant.com/magic-time-machine-in-austin-closed/

Still open in San Antonio btw, coincidentally just down the road from Applebees for a quick hop. It's a terrible, disgusting restaurant. Food is beyond gross, but it has an absolutely fantastic bar in back - the Mine Shaft. TVs aren't great for watching football, but you can slam fizzy drinks with dry ice in them while Catwoman and Captain Jack Sparrow mull about. We walked in there one night and they were having a Magic the Gathering meetup there. It was everything that you could possibly imagine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I had the same question. His highlights aren't bad, but he doesn't really have many "holy shit" plays. With the portal, I guess there's not much downside in taking a risk on those types of players. Also, aggy tears.

Similar to a "Preferred Walk On," Sark has designated a couple spots each recruiting cycle as "Preferred Aggy Tears."

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What’s with Filsaime being labeled a 4 star all of the sudden? He’s been a 5 star the entire fucking cycle. 

Unsurprisingly, you have on3 to thank for that

https://www.on3.com/db/xavier-filsaime-121995/

https://247sports.com/player/xavier-filsaime-46103308/

Outside of On3, he's stayed a Composite 5-star for months: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/xavier-filsaime-at-mckinney-264208/RecruitRankHistory/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Buncha kids in here. Get off my menu!

AABA3411-3C96-4ACC-B31D-DF98CAE9521B.thumb.jpeg.c1656e4b4fbbed4914084b94c80d3466.jpeg

http://yesterant.com/magic-time-machine-in-austin-closed/

Their soup and crackers were awesome! Miss those. The  rest if the food was pretty meh, but it was a really fun place for a kid.

Chili's Terlingua Burger was great. Too bad they took it off the menu. Chili's stopped serving a burger with chili...

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Still open in San Antonio btw, coincidentally just down the road from Applebees for a quick hop. It's a terrible, disgusting restaurant. Food is beyond gross, but it has an absolutely fantastic bar in back - the Mine Shaft. TVs aren't great for watching football, but you can slam fizzy drinks with dry ice in them while Catwoman and Captain Jack Sparrow mull about. We walked in there one night and they were having a Magic the Gathering meetup there. It was everything that you could possibly imagine.

Surprised Duncan wasn't there for a D&D tournament. 

7 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Keep dropping these guys we can craft a better narrative that way.  We win with superior coaching and development.

Yea put me in this camp. It’s far superior to services overrating your players as long as it doesn’t get out of control. Given our program trajectory I doubt it even lasts long. 

9 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bobby and Gerry have touched on this before.  Typically the recruiting industry will drop Texas commits a bit due to NFL draft history.  Once we start cranking out NFL draftees, these rankings will go up a bit.

So why even have recruiting rankings if the outcome is pre-determined?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bobby and Gerry have touched on this before.  Typically the recruiting industry will drop Texas commits a bit due to NFL draft history.  Once we start cranking out NFL draftees, these rankings will go up a bit.

The brilliance of lowering rankings purportedly because of people who aren’t even here anymore but apparently because of the logo is unassailable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1