Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Just now, TheMailBox357 said:

Looks like the national 9.95ers consider Butler to be an upgrade over Hampton. 

Hampton is ranked #232 & #224 on the On3 industry rankings & 247 Composite rankings, while Butler is ranked #179 & #122 in the same rankings.

Oops! 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed. On3 has him about the tiers below everyone else as a prospect. 

I bet a lot of it is that he didnt play many games this year and most likely most people at On3 didnt get eyes on him ... Cant wait till he gets ranked by them and the BOMC rides again

15 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

What’s the word on why he would forgive his senior year to get ready for college? Is this another Blue where we have to worry about how much he loves the game?

It's the opposite. He was playing very well this year, but decided to stop so he could take extra classes and be a spring enrollee.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed. On3 has him about three tiers below everyone else as a prospect. 

33 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I bet a lot of it is that he didnt play many games this year and most likely most people at On3 didnt get eyes on him ... Cant wait till he gets ranked by them and the BOMC rides again

29 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

What’s the word on why he would forgive his senior year to get ready for college? Is this another Blue where we have to worry about how much he loves the game?

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It's the opposite. He was playing very well this year, but decided to stop so he could take extra classes and be a spring enrollee.

We do love those early enrollees.

Pretty pumped about this guy after his not being on my radar 60 hours ago.

His Calabasas teammates may have been all-

“WTF? …merde.”

But our coaches definitely love the focus on college.

There is no way to make a perfect track conversion, but here's the way I break this stuff down.

Receivers with this kids' build typically improve on their 40 times around 0.2 seconds per year in high school. But Butler only has two times posted. The time of year also factors into this. Athletes run better times in the summer. Anyway, he improved by 0.3 seconds from his sophomore to junior year. If we conservatively give him a 0.2-second improvement in his senior season, that puts him at 10.9 100 meters. 

A 10.9 converts to a 4.54 forty-yard dash. It's not a perfect conversion, but it's worth noting.

He posted a 7.07 60-meter time. That converts to a 4.43 forty-yard dash.

If you watch his tape, look at his frame, and take into account that the kid isn't a full-time track star, it's easy to see he could improve his speed in college. It's easy to speculate he's faster than his limited track times.

He shows excellent balance and field vision on film.

Many on here thought Deandre Moore was slow, but I remember looking into that last year. His 100-meter conversion put him at 4.55 in the forty with a running back frame. That is on the high end of what I would call an acceptable time, especially for a physical slot.

In the Herman and Strong tenure, we recruited "4-star" receivers who couldn't break 4.7 in the forty. That's a very big problem, especially if they don't have size. These recruiting services have no idea what they're doing.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1