Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Collin Ginnan: Breaking down the new additions to the final 2024 On300

On3 has released its final recruiting ranking for the 2024 class. This final update comes after the end of the high school playoffs and postseason All-American games, where top prospects across the country faced off in a week of practices and ended with nationally televised games. The latest edition of On3’s 2024 rankings features 41 prospects that are new to the On300. Thirty-nine of the 41 players have signed a National Letter of Intent with their current school.

One new On300 recruit has yet to sign with any program. Another is a ‘Short-Term Signee’ — a recruit that signed early in December, enrolled and entered the NCAA Transfer Portal prior to the February National Signing Day. Director of Scouting and Rankings Charles Power and National Scout Cody Bellaire break down 10 marquee additions to the final 2024 On300.

EDGE Zina Umeozulu — Texas

Allen (Texas) EDGE Zina Umeozulu committed to Texas on September 6 before signing with the Longhorns to join his brother, Neto, in Austin. Zina chose Texas over Oklahoma, Oregon, and Texas A&M. He checks in at No. 93 in the final edition of the 2024 On300.

“Zina Umeozulu was a big riser coming out of the Under Armour All-America Game. He had a fantastic showing throughout the week in Orlando. He had one of the best showings among EDGE prospects in attendance. Umeozulu has a big frame at around 6-foot-5, 230 pounds and plus-length. We saw him do some things in Orlando that quite frankly, he has not put on film over the last season or two at Allen High School. Umeozulu showed very good bend, good power, good first-step quickness and really gave offensive tackles a bunch of issues throughout the week. He was a guy who was a national name early in the process and has kind of flown under the radar a little bit over the past two seasons. But kind of reminded everyone of why he was considered to be a national talent as a sophomore. But just what he showed with his overall physical and technical skillset made him one of the more pleasant surprises that we evaluated on the national all-star circuit.” – Director of Scouting and Rankings Charles Power

QB Trey Owens — Texas

Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair quarterback Trey Owens committed to Texas last January and signed with the Longhorns in December. Owens chose Texas over Baylor, SMU, Texas Tech, Rice and others. He checks in at No. 217 in the final edition of the 2024 On300.

“Trey Owens is arguably one of the most improved players at the quarterback position for us. His jump from his junior to senior was extremely impressive. His production was through the roof for Cy Fair (TX) High School and compounded that stellar senior season with an excellent showing during the week of practice at the Adidas All-American game. His size with his ability to place the football and make plays downfield was tremendous and showed that he deserved to be considered as one of the top signal callers in the country.” – National Scout Cody Bellaire

DL Alex Foster — Baylor

Greenville (Miss.) St. Joseph defensive lineman Alex Foster committed to Baylor on July 4 and remains unsigned ahead of the February National Signing Day. He checks in at No. 152 in the final edition of the 2024 On300.

“Alex Foster is a huge riser for On3. He has several positive indicators as a prospect overall. For starters, he has an outstanding frame. This guy is 6-foot-4.5, 280 pounds with elite length. His arms measure over 35 inches and he is very young for the class. Should be a 2025 prospect, won’t turn 17 until September. Alex Foster put together really good senior film, he runs sideline to sideline, is a big, explosive athlete who is just scratching the surface of his potential. I think when you look at how he stands up physically and athletically among the defensive line group, we came away being bullish on his upside. This is a guy who is really just beginning to tap into what looks to be a mint potential.” – Charles Power

WR Kylan Billiot — LSU

Houma (La.) Terrebonne wide receiver Kylan Billiot committed to LSU on June 14 and signed with the Tigers in December. Billiot chose LSU over Georgia Tech, Florida, and Troy. He checks in at No. 108 in the final edition of the 2024 On300.

“Kylan Billiot is a prospect that we always continued to find ourselves saying “he’s got a shot, we just want to see a bit more.” After seeing him at LSU summer camp for two years in a row heading into his senior season, it was obvious that he had the physical and athletic traits to be a top-tier prospect but the skillset was just so raw.

“The senior film showed improvement in some positional traits, but seeing him compete during the week at the Adidas All-American game pushed him over the edge for us. He displayed the ability to separate from corners at all levels of the field and proved that he can go out there and win at the catch point consistently against the best competition in the country.” – Cody Bellaire

WR Dominic Overby — Iowa State

West Jordan (Utah) wide receiver Dominic Overby committed to Iowa State on December 17 before signing with the Cyclones three days later. He checks in at No. 155 in the final edition of the 2024 On300.

“Dominic Overby is a prospect that we got wind of late in this 2024 recruiting process. It wasn’t until late in his senior season were we aware of just how gifted of an athlete was hiding in West Jordan, Utah. Overby didn’t pick up his first FBS offer until November of 2023, but when we turned the film on it was a no-brainer. With his size and movement skills combined with his ability to attack the football and make plays after the catch, Overby made it an easy decision for us to place him in the On300.” – Cody Bellaire

IOL Eugene Brooks — Oklahoma

Chatsworth (Calif.) Sierra Canyon interior offensive lineman Eugene Brooks committed to Oklahoma on July 25, choosing the Sooners over rival Texas. Brooks signed with Oklahoma in December. He checks in at No. 182 in the final edition of the 2024 On300.

“Eugene Brooks had a phenomenal showing at the Under Armour All-America Game. I think he was probably the strongest interior offensive lineman we saw at the point of attack. He’s just a bull on contact. Really was able to stone defensive linemen once he was able to get his hands on them and had a really good showing. Brooks has kind of transformed his body over the past year or so — cut a ton of weight, probably 60 pounds and is just moving much better. He’s a guy who is very explosive in short areas, strong, just has explosive power. He is a great shot-putter and just has a lot of natural play strength. Going to need to continue improving athletically and not overly long, but he’s just a rock-solid guard propsect and one who certainly helped himself in Orlando.” – Charles Power

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, TXRed said:

Our only On3 five star this cycle. What a fucking joke. 

This was the On3 Top 32 from December. Over just the last month, Baker, Wingo and Filsaime were all pushed out apparently based on nothing more than a handful of all-star games and Ryan Williams' reclassification? Smacks of gamesmanship.

GAmfjw-XYAENL_3?format=jpg&name=large

• Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This was the On3 Top 32 from December. Over just the last month, Baker, Wingo and Filsaime were all pushed out apparently based on nothing more than a handful of all-star games and Ryan Williams' reclassification? Smacks of gamesmanship.

GAmfjw-XYAENL_3?format=jpg&name=large

Filsame was the one bumped out as a 5+ because of the re-classification of Williams. 

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

Filsame was the one bumped out as a 5+ because of the re-classification of Williams. 

From the above December list, ten recruits who were five-stars last month got bumped down to four-stars. Three of them are Texas signees. Three are Ohio State. The other four are Clemson, SCar, Auburn and Notre Dame commits. It's pretty clear Charles Power is playing favourites.

Edited by satyanash

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

From the above December list, ten recruits who were five-stars last month got bumped down to four-stars. Three of them are Texas signees. Three are Ohio State. The other four are Clemson, SCar, Auburn and Notre Dame commits. It's pretty clear Charles Power is playing favourites.

Ha. Yes. Also, the drop for Simmons is fucking dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I expect this artificial suppression to last for all of about one more year until they realize that we are consistently sending guys to the league again. 

Just what you want from recruiting rankings...to tell you that a program's fortunes have turned years after you can see it in on-field results and the nfl draft.

But, but...how could Michogan win it all with such a low talent composite?!?

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

They seem to REALLY like Alabama’s class.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I expect this artificial suppression to last for all of about one more year until they realize that we are consistently sending guys to the league again. 

Bumping Alabama’s class because Saban recruited them (but won’t develop them) and dropping Texas’s class because guys like Strong and Herman couldn’t develop talent is a very smart strategy that makes perfect logical sense. Good work, 9.95ers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

When Gerry joins the OTF streams in, just spitballing here, let's say a little less than 2 weeks, one of the folks here that sits in on them should ask BB and GH what they think of the graders producing the On3 rankings, and if they think they're suppressing Texas targets/commits in some manner. I am willing to bet any amount of money that they dismiss the idea that the rankings are being suppressed in some form that works against Texas, but it should be funny to watch them on camera when they answer it. It's not in their best interest to rip on anything On3 related, but the troll in me thinks it would be funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When Gerry joins the OTF streams in, just spitballing here, let's say a little less than 2 weeks, one of the folks here that sits in on them should ask BB and GH what they think of the graders producing the On3 rankings, and if they think they're suppressing Texas targets/commits in some manner. I am willing to bet any amount of money that they dismiss the idea that the rankings are being suppressed in some form that works against Texas, but it should be funny to watch them on camera when they answer it. It's not in their best interest to rip on anything On3 related, but the troll in me thinks it would be funny. 

I got you....when that happens I'll superchat it so they actually read it. Just phrase the question in like 150 characters and I'll just copy/paste.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry has already come out and said this explicitly before Nahlin stuck his own foot in his ass by way of his throat. He said that the On3 guys (I assume he means Charles Power, et al.) have told him that they are going to ding Texas recruits due to lack of NFL development over the last decade. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gerry has already come out and said this explicitly before Nahlin stuck his own foot in his ass by way of his throat. He said that the On3 guys (I assume he means Charles Power, et al.) have told him that they are going to ding Texas recruits due to lack of NFL development over the last decade. 

Has Gerry actually said that or are you conflating that notion with me saying it on this board for the last year? Not being a dick, just wanting to be clear. I know what On3 is doing, but I would be pretty stunned if someone working at On3 was public about it.

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Has Gerry actually said that or are you conflating that notion with me saying it on this board for the last year? Not being a dick, just wanting to be clear. I know what On3 is doing, but I would be pretty stunned if someone working at On3 was public about it.

No, he actually said it on the youtube show. He has actually done it a handful of times within about a three week period when things were still in the air with our last big group of high rated guys that we signed  Like Filsaime and Black. 

Edited by Vertigo

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember Gerry mentioning this as well on the OTF live stream.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

I think ya’ll should ask Gerry but preface it with “we all know that Rivals/Orangebloods is the only truly accurate ranking, am I right?”

you misspelled the Looch 44.

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44/2024

dont forget Ketch also does a Top 100 in State, which is comical but not as bad as the Looch 44 based on prior years results

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

No, he actually said it on the youtube show. He has actually done it a handful of times within about a three week period when things were still in the air with our last big group of high rated guys that we signed  Like Filsaime and Black. 

53 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I remember Gerry mentioning this as well on the OTF live stream.  

For him to be publicly talking about it, you know there is some real disdain there. Wow.

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We could re-ask and get confirmation with specific answer that doesn't have to be masked. Ofc he won't completely shit on them.

Pointless if the dude has already talked about it in public.

30 minutes ago, Getafix said:

New/final ESPN 300.

The 14 Horns in the ESPN 300:

#12 Kobe Black

#15 Colin Simmons

#33 Ryan Wingo

#39 Xavier Filsaime

#40 Brandon Baker

#59 Jerrick Gibson

#89 Aaron Butler

#169 Jordon Johnson-Rubell

#195 Friddie Dubose

#205 Alan Jackson

#233 Zina Umeozulu

#242 Nate Kibble

#264 Wardell Mack

#287 Daniel Cruz

Obviously we love all of our signees equally. But Black over Simmons? Livingston and Kibble over Cruz? What the shit?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Getafix said:

New/final ESPN 300.

The 14 Horns in the ESPN 300:

#12 Kobe Black

#15 Colin Simmons

#33 Ryan Wingo

#39 Xavier Filsaime

#40 Brandon Baker

#59 Jerrick Gibson

#89 Aaron Butler

#169 Jordon Johnson-Rubell

#195 Friddie Dubose

#205 Alan Jackson

#233 Zina Umeozulu

#242 Nate Kibble

#264 Wardell Mack

#287 Daniel Cruz

Alan Jackson? better watch out or else CTJ will have an aneurysm 

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yeah but dude Texas is only going to have, uh, *checks notes* 8 guys drafted this year, so obviously their recruits ain't shit.

Hadn't thought about draft numbers since everyone finalized decisions to stay or declare. 8 should be safe (Worthy, Mitchell, Sweat, Murphy, Brooks, Sanders, Ford, Jones). Watts and Robinson will have outside shots as well. I had thought we could hit double digits but Majors, Barron, and Collins returning is great. 

If only Murphy were a year older he could have cashed in on his day 2 grade instead of transferring. 

32 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yeah but dude Texas is only going to have, uh, *checks notes* 8 guys drafted this year, so obviously their recruits ain't shit.

And only 2 RBs drafted in the top 115 picks last year, so Texas REALLY doesn't know shit about fuck on RBs.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hadn't thought about draft numbers since everyone finalized decisions to stay or declare. 8 should be safe (Worthy, Mitchell, Sweat, Murphy, Brooks, Sanders, Ford, Jones). Watts and Robinson will have outside shots as well. I had thought we could hit double digits but Majors, Barron, and Collins returning is great. 

If only Murphy were a year older he could have cashed in on his day 2 grade instead of transferring. 

Definitely (6)

• Mitchell
  • Worthy
  • Murphy
  • Sweat
  • Sanders
  • Ford

Probably (2)

• Brooks
  • Jones

Non-zero chance/likely UDFA (3)

• Whittington
  • Watts
  • Robinson

UDFA candidate

• Sanborn
  • Bush

Edit to add: I won't amend the list, but Watts has gotten lots of pub on his mph clocked at the shrine bowl, so maybe he moves up to a probably. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Edit

Ricky's one hitter answered my question. 

Edited by Gordon Shumway
already answered

20 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

We really have become RBU, sadly lost the CBU title but that can be won back. I’d actually rather have the rbu but regardless, what choice is doing is incredible. 

Um CBU ain’t a thing. I think you mean DBU.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Definitely (6)

• Mitchell
  • Worthy
  • Murphy
  • Sweat
  • Sanders
  • Ford

Probably (2)

• Brooks
  • Jones

Non-zero chance/likely UDFA (3)

• Whittington
  • Watts
  • Robinson

UDFA candidate

• Sanborn
  • Bush

Edit to add: I won't amend the list, but Watts has gotten lots of pub on his mph clocked at the shrine bowl, so maybe he moves up to a probably. 

there is zero chance Brooks does not get drafted, unless he blows out his knee again between now and the draft.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1