TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Did you watch the game? Arky defense was flying around on that last drive (one dude dove headfirst into Robinson, should’ve been targeting) defense was hyping the crowd up before 4th down. They wanted to make a statement. Thompson trucked his way to a touchdown anyway. 

Forgot my sarcasm filter

8 hours ago, Xian said:

This cult of card is fucking confusing. What has he shown to make these fucks worship him. 

Card looks great when our shitty ass OL is going up against our shitty ass DL in practice.  That's about it.  Every broadcast, they mention how the team loves Casey.  That's who they want to play for, and it shows.

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah, super obvious that card is the next vy if the coaches would just let him do his thing 🙄

Yeah that’s exactly what I did I compared card to VY. Dumbass. I was comparing coaching results early on to each other. 

Just now, troph said:

Don’t be dense. He’s a heisman candidate at several schools with a real team around him. Kid can ball. I’ve seen enough. I was shocked Card got the nod to begin with.

Honestly there’s not much to dislike about Casey.  He looked better than Sam ever looked vs Colorado. Even last week against Louisiana he looked impressive 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hudson Card is the second coming of Garret Gilbert. And you folks claiming Thompson was playing in garbage time clearly don’t understand rivalry football — Arky wanted to shut us out, badly, the whole game. I have little confidence in this staff making good strategic decisions now that they failed to replace Card in the first or second quarter when it was clear that he didn’t have his head in the game. I hope they change course and prove me wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

You think there's one "main reason" we lost that game? Pass protection was bad. Run blocking was bad. WRs were bad. QBs couldn't throw. We couldn't tackle. Our secondary got beat. Our defensive line got mauled. We played undisciplined. Our game planning and coaching was bad. 
Casey has earned the start going forward, but we didn't lose that game because of Hudson: we lost that game because we were awful.

Special teams also sucked
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The negativity of the fanbase contributed to screwing up both Simms and Gilbert. Seems like Card is well on his way with this group! (I would’ve let Casey start the third quarter though).

Foh.... The turnovers screwed up Simms and Gilbert.

Fan negativity should not affect QB play if the QB is worthy of starting. If my internet posts affect a QB, should he be the starting QB? No.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I said contributed, not solely responsible for it. You think the most hardened QBs like Montana or Brady would completely block out their own fans booing, chucking beer bottles from the stands, chanting for the backup, and thrashing them on radio and social media? You expect an 18 year old to block it out?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I said contributed, not solely responsible for it. You think the most hardened QBs like Montana or Brady would completely block out their own fans booing, chucking beer bottles from the stands, chanting for the backup, and thrashing them on radio and social media? You expect an 18 year old to block it out?

You do realize they sucked, right?

I mean do you actually think they were good qbs while at Texas? 

One of the main reasons I wanted to go Casey this year was exactly due to what we saw out of Card last night.  The loss wasnt his fault, thats not the issue.  There were a lot of factors on why we lost (o line needs to be fixed ASAP).

But Card was just not ready for that type of environment.  It was clear that the game was at a different speed than was he was used to.  

Again, still on the Card train, but I wanted to WIN this year.  Not saying Card cant win, but with the younger guy, youre gonna have a lot more growing pains than you will with the Casey IMO.

10 hours ago, maninblack said:

Show up to a meeting on time asshole and maybe you'll give your boss confidence

So let me get this straight, the same guy who called Sark the day he was hired to get the playbook is suddenly an irresponsible jackass who can't manage to attend meetings on time?!?!?! Some of you guys will swallow hole anything these 9.95ers feed you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

IT has a narrative to push with Card being signed with them. No matter how much they deny it....(Eric tried calling out @THUJONE on IT...)  

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Look I like both guys, but I want to win now, im so fucking sick of these shit ass 7 win seasons that I dont really want to sit here and watch a young guy go under trial by fire and lose a bunch of games so he can learn by season 2 or 3 and maybe be good

Card can still be the future of this program without starting him as a RS Freshman.

Edited by DiceHands

TL;DR

I watched the whole thing. I was expecting Card to be on a very short leash after the ULaLa performance. When the 2Q arrived and Card continued to miss open receivers, I was halfway expecting, and full-on praying, that Sarkisian would show himself to be the equal of Lincoln and put Casey in while keeping Card by his side to learn how to hang onto QB101 lessons learned... and possibly returning to the field after the in-game coaching. I am fairly sure that Casey would have jump-started the O regardless of the warmed-over dog shit play of the OL. I sincerely hope that we see Casey start at Rice, and that Card gets some play once we have a comfortable lead. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Honestly there’s not much to dislike about Casey.  He looked better than Sam ever looked vs Colorado. Even last week against Louisiana he looked impressive 

This is borderline dumbassery.

He was fine versus Louisiana. Impressive is placing undue praise. Versus Colorado he was on point no doubt but in 11 throws he threw a pick (only not cause the dude flat dropped it). When a dude lights it up for a half, that’s a bit disingenuous when Sam had many, many moments of greatness.

I’d start him.

If Casey doesn’t start against Rice, he absolutely should stop showing up to practice and enter the portal.

There’s no way you can keep your credibility as a coach (within the team or the fanbase) if the entire offseason is spent talking about how close the QB battle is, yet despite performance on the field you keep treating one of them as clearly second tier.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Kid has played in three games and has impressed in all three. I haven’t had that sit up in my chair and watch a young kid play QB like him since VY.  Wow is right indeed. Lol.

I don’t want to do the research, but Casey has probably lead scoring drives on 6 of his last 8 or 9 series (going back to bowl game). 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

TL;DR

I watched the whole thing. I was expecting Card to be on a very short leash after the ULaLa performance. When the 2Q arrived and Card continued to miss open receivers, I was halfway expecting, and full-on praying, that Sarkisian would show himself to be the equal of Lincoln and put Casey in while keeping Card by his side to learn how to hang onto QB101 lessons learned... and possibly returning to the field after the in-game coaching. I am fairly sure that Casey would have jump-started the O regardless of the warmed-over dog shit play of the OL. I sincerely hope that we see Casey start at Rice, and that Card gets some play once we have a comfortable lead. 

We needed a spark.  I think the game may look different if Casey starts the 2nd half.  Not saying we would have won, but the score couldve atleast been closer.  Its not Hudson's fault, but sometimes football is a game of momentum and when youre stalling with 3 and out every drive, you need something to put life back into the team.

Also - hes a freshman, and its hard to be a vocal leader in that situation.  I think this team needed that last night.  Card just heads to he bench and sits there quietly.  He will learn how to be a leader, but for now, Id rather see Casey start and be the guy until Card feels more comfortable at the college level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Couldn't watch the game thankfully. What did Hudson do that was so bad? Accuracy? Decision making? Pocket presence? All of the above?

Sounds like the OL and WRs didn't help out at all, but unbelievable how much worse the offense was than last game.

He basically withered under pressure.  Didn't make many throws, ovethrew some deep balls.  Was both hesitant and too quick to run.

OL, WR, and coaching did him no favors, but he couldn't Ehlinger.

And that raises a salient point.  Ehlinger's ability to improvise and run like a dumptruck early and often tended to kind of mask OL deficiencies.

Think early Shane Buechele, except Shane was actually better than Card under similar circumstances.

Edited by TwiceHorn

You do realize they sucked, right?

I mean do you actually think they were good qbs while at Texas? 

Well first Garrett’s team was not good. Yes, I’d say Simms was good. Both guys started at least a game in the NFL. You don’t get that opportunity without something.

I do recall a story about Simms phone being lit up. Sorry that’d be impactful on many dudes.

As shitty as we played we were only down two scores with the ball to start the third quarter. If your coach can’t tell that his quarterback doesn’t have it on a given night by the end of that second quarter, I’m not sure he has any business being a head coach.

Supposedly they were neck and neck till the end of fall practice. If that’s true, they should be interchangeable and you should be comfortable making a change. I know there’s cons to doing that as well, but card had literally played 6.2 quarters of college football to that point. It should’ve been a no brainer.  And if the concern is card’s ego, he has no business playing here anyway.

I hope Sark can learn from this, but head coaches don’t seem to be much on introspection.

• Hook 'Em 3

I can almost understand opening the 3rd quarter with Card…almost.

But when he checked down with a 4 yard dink on 3rd and 8, that should have been IT.

And Sark was visibly upset…depending on my lip reading skills…hollered some along the lines of “Fuck! Run the fucking play! Trust the fucking play!” into his headset.

Would be interesting if someone could find that clip.

Was sorely disappointed he didn’t pull the plug immediately after that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If Casey doesn’t start against Rice, he absolutely should stop showing up to practice and enter the portal.

There’s no way you can keep your credibility as a coach (within the team or the fanbase) if the entire offseason is spent talking about how close the QB battle is, yet despite performance on the field you keep treating one of them as clearly second tier.

If Card starts vs Rice then either Sark is a moron or Card was a real threat to transfer if he wasn’t named starter

24 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I don’t want to do the research, but Casey has probably lead scoring drives on 6 of his last 8 or 9 series (going back to bowl game). 

His possession results have been as follows (I'll spare the labeling of the games just so that we can get to the number to which you're referring)

1. TD
2. TD
3. FG
4. TD
5. TD
6. Punt
7. TD
8. T.O.D
9. TD
10. FG
11. Punt
12. TD
13. TD

8 TD's
2 FG's
2 Punts
1 TOD

It's certainly a lot better than what we've been seeing from Card, who's been shown to be green in just about every way that can be. That's not a knock on the kid at all, but compare where the 2 are just in terms of their stages in development and it's not close. Thompson's displayed a much better presence in the pocket, his decision making is noticeably better, his composure, his read progression in the passing game, etc. None of that is to say Card won't turn into that kind of player, but he hasn't and Thompson has. This really shouldn't be a complicated issue.

• Hook 'Em 6

If Card’s strength is supposed to be his arm talent and ability to throw downfield, it clearly was not on display last night. I counted at least three deep balls where Sark schemed an open receiver downfield that Card missed. If he hits one or two of those, Odom has to change his scheme to keep safeties deep over the top on running downs. 

Card, right now at least is not a running threat. If teams can drop 8 on obvious passing situations and he cannot punish soft fronts running, And if he cannot connect on deep routes to punish teams over playing the run, that really does not leave us much. It’s probably worth evaluating if he’s the right guy to start. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This is a question for anybody that was at the game. How often did we have guys open deep? Since we only threw deep 3? times, that’s the only time I recall seeing the camera pan that far out. Were our guys consistently beating the D down the field or was it really only those times that Card threw it deep? Because it sure seemed like we could’ve beat the hell out of them that way if Card ever found some accuracy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If Card’s strength is supposed to be his arm talent and ability to throw downfield, it clearly was not on display last night. I counted at least three deep balls where Sark schemed an open receiver downfield that Card missed. If he hits one or two of those, Odom has to change his scheme to keep safeties deep over the top on running downs. 

Card, right now at least is not a running threat. If teams can drop 8 on obvious passing situations and he cannot punish soft fronts running, And if he cannot connect on deep routes to punish teams over playing the run, that really does not leave us much. It’s probably worth evaluating if he’s the right guy to start. 

And its not that he just missed.  He missed them BADLY.  Balls soaring off to the right of the receiver, balls under thrown, balls over thrown, etc.  Guys were wide open and we missed them consistently. 

I love the zip Card has on the intermediate throws, but his deep ball accuracy is terrible so far.  If we want to win this year, we cant keep putting a guy out there that doesn't have a complete game yet. 

Edited by DiceHands

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

This is a question for anybody that was at the game. How often did we have guys open deep? Since we only threw deep 3? times, that’s the only time I recall seeing the camera pan that far out. Were our guys consistently beating the D down the field or was it really only those times that Card threw it deep? Because it sure seemed like we could’ve beat the hell out of them that way if Card ever found some accuracy.

Card was not good with the deep ball last week either.   

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yeah, I’d like to see an analysis of the all-22 film (done by someone at a website that doesn’t have a financial stake in Hudson Card) breakdown how much of this was Card not seeing open receivers/making the right read, and how much was the WR’s just not getting open, because there was probably a lot of both. 

• Like 1

But when he checked down with a 4 yard dink on 3rd and 8, that should have been IT.

MF this. It’s not just that he checked down, it’s that the check was covered. Take your chance running or throwing it past the sticks, but a check with a defender right there accomplishes nothing. He had plenty of time on a lot of those three man rush drop backs.

If they’re rushing three and covering up both downfield receivers (can’t see this on TV) and the check down, there’s almost certainly room to run. He didn’t take it. When he did throw downfield there were some windows, indicating that perhaps the receivers were getting open at times and he was hesitant to make the throw. Obviously the throws he did make he mostly missed.

Texas legitimately could have won the game with a QB switch. I don’t know that they would have, but they could have. Sark appears willing to lose this team and this season, which could handicap future seasons given the recruiting impacts, to play Card.

Am I remembering correctly in the quarterback thread in the fall people were talking about how much faster Card was and a better runner than Casey? That’s obviously bullshit at this point. It looked like the game was too fast for him. And that’s nothing to be worried about this early in his career, other than the coaches not realizing it.