TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, immamac said:

How pissed off do you think Sam Ehlinger is right now about the loss? 

Really wish he took that extra year. Was he perfect? No. Was he leader? Fuck yes. Did he make plays when we needed em? Damn right. Did he put the team on his back on multiple occasions? Yep. Was he a good leader and good guy? Fuck yeah he was. He surely would’ve understood the magnitude of this game and had our boys calm and ready to play. Oh well. Help us Casey, you’re our only hope 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Disagree unless he transfers. Card is young and inexperienced but was the starter for a reason. He has better tools and must have been better in practice. Just needs more experience.

Lake Travis guy.  7 on 7 is drilled in their head from an early early age. they are all practice kings. then bullets start flying.  he had a very good but not great game against LaLa, who might not be as good as we thought.  he's reasonably mobile but not quick.  I agree that he can be just fine if we can get a real OL around him.

Casey throws some wobblers(which probably happens in practice too) and Card does have tight spiral and zip.  I can see Sark lovin the shit outta Card's throws.

Sark didn't take into account that his OL sucks when he picked his QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I hope Casey ends up being awesome, but the way some of y'all talk about him makes me wonder how ya'll got the secret game tapes of him succeeding at this level outside of one half of a bowl game. 

our hope is he can extend drives with his feet off schedule when the OL breaks down.  oh and maybe hit a wide open receiver on a deep ball.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, XForce said:

Reveal hidden contents

https://twitter.com/jaychiles/status/1436868392137330690?s=21

Sounds like someone’s still salty about Colt beating them out. 

I mean...we had a player straight up tell us this on the podcast when we interviewed them. This is a real thing, but I am not sure that is how Sark is currently operating. 

By most accounts, Hudson Card is Steve Sarkisian's dream QB.

The problem seems to be that Sarkisian is figuring out that he ain't in Tuscaloosa anymore and he's not going to be able to do things the way he prefers for another year or two.

The fact that he's starting Casey seems to be the first step in acknowledging that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean...we had a player straight up tell us this on the podcast when we interviewed them. This is a real thing, but I am not sure that is how Sark is currently operating. 

I find it hard to believe there’s any racism or politics involved in the QB decision. Sark trusted his gut about Card and who’s to say he was wrong? We need more data. Sark exacerbated things by waiting too long to put Casey in. That being said, I could care less who the QB is if we’re winning. I’d feel the same way if Sam was still here  and the same debacle happened. 

That being said, do I think Jett Bush is more athletic or has the upside of Byron Vaughns? Hell no  I trust my eyes. Do I understand why Adimora barely sees the field? 

Fuck. Now I’m questioning everything I know. 

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah, what Chiles posted is some next level reaching. I’ll stick with the theory that Sark sees Card as the ideal match for the offense he wants to run here in the long term.

As for Chiles, he’s delusional if his post is a reference to him losing the QB competition to the most accurate QB in CFB history.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, immamac said:

8 hours ago, XForce said:

I find it hard to believe there’s any racism or politics involved in the QB decision. Sark trusted his gut about Card and who’s to say he was wrong? We need more data. Sark exacerbated things by waiting too long to put Casey in. That being said, I could care less who the QB is if we’re winning. I’d feel the same way if Sam was still here  and the same debacle happened. 

That being said, do I think Jett Bush is more athletic or has the upside of Byron Vaughns? Hell no  I trust my eyes. Do I understand why Adimora barely sees the field? 

Fuck. Now I’m questioning everything I know. 

8 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Yeah, what Chiles posted is some next level reaching. I’ll stick with the theory that Sark sees Card as the ideal match for the offense he wants to run here in the long term.

As for Chiles, he’s delusional if his post is a reference to him losing the QB competition to the most accurate QB in CFB history.

I don't think McCullough meant they used race to decide starters. There was more at play in terms of politics who would be starters. What I gathered from the comment was basically Texas is your small town Texas team so whomever has the booster/boosters daddy, school board members kid, and etc will play instead of the better player because of politics.

12 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I hope Casey ends up being awesome, but the way some of y'all talk about him makes me wonder how ya'll got the secret game tapes of him succeeding at this level outside of one half of a bowl game. 

The 1/2 bowl game was pretty good. Being a QB is more than beautiful passes ... ask Jeff George.

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think McCullough meant they used race to decide starters. There was more at play in terms of politics who would be starters. What I gathered from the comment was basically Texas is your small town Texas team so whomever has the booster/boosters daddy, school board members kid, and etc will play instead of the better player because of politics.

Wait. Hold on. I think I need to sit down. Are you actually suggesting that people make up excuses for not getting what they want? Surely you jest. There is no way a player would ever find some bogeyman to blame for not winning the top job. Get out of here.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Wait. Hold on. I think I need to sit down. Are you actually suggesting that people make up excuses for not getting what they want? Surely you jest. There is no way a player would ever find some bogeyman to blame for not winning the top job. Get out of here.

It's been blatantly obvious for some time that best player doesn't start or get playing time. That doesn't mean that sometimes the best player does start. 

We will see what Casey has the next 2 games. If he absolutely blows out tech I think he keeps the starting job until he turns into a turnover machine. 

Casey is very good, but he's a gamer and seems at his ceiling already, which is fine he's a RS junior that is not a bad thing. Card is good with a ceiling of great, but has no experience and just showed his ass for 3 quarters against a dogshit Arkansas team.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Chiles sucked and now he wants to re-imagine that fact.  He couldn’t hold Colt’s jock now or then.  And all the usual losers gobble up his bait. 

clockwork.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's been blatantly obvious for some time that best player doesn't start or get playing time. That doesn't mean that sometimes the best player does start. 

We will see what Casey has the next 2 games. If he absolutely blows out tech I think he keeps the starting job until he turns into a turnover machine. 

Casey is very good, but he's a gamer and seems at his ceiling already, which is fine he's a RS junior that is not a bad thing. Card is good with a ceiling of great, but has no experience and just showed his ass for 3 quarters against a dogshit Arkansas team.  

Hard to determine his ceiling.  He's played like 1 full game  Maybe he gets better after more game action.

As for any hint of racism, does anyone want to point out that Sark's wife is black?  I mean, at some point.......

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Chiles sucked and now he wants to re-imagine that fact.  He couldn’t hold Colt’s jock now or then.  And all the usual losers gobble up his bait. 

clockwork.

I think that’s called revisionist history; Chiles was such a bad quarterback I forgot he was even considered a quarterback. As a matter of fact he couldn’t even hold Tyrone Swoopes jock. Those who gobble up that crap do so because it’s the ignorant man’s argument.

19 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Disagree unless he transfers. Card is young and inexperienced but was the starter for a reason. He has better tools and must have been better in practice. Just needs more experience.

Sark said it himself during yesterday's press conference. Paraphrasing he said something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how much better someone executes the play called if another player moves the team much more consistently down the field". That tells me that Card consistently graded out better in practice when it came to doing things the called play asked him to do, be it progressing through reads, or throwing to the correct WR on a given play. However, if that level of execution doesn't translate to the gameday field then it's much to do about nothing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think people (even the players on the field) forget how much subjectivity goes into deciding who to play. This ain't the SAT with hard and fast metrics determining your standing in an assortment of categories. Sure, sometimes some decisions are obvious, but frequently they are determined on the margins and something seemingly small provides the difference between the starter and the backup. From a player's perspective that may seem like politics, but in reality it's just part of the vast swath of gray that comes with most of the decisions we make as human beings. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Let me start by saying that game was an abomination, and I'm not happy with it in any sense...I'm just looking for something to keep me from crawling in a bourbon bottle every Saturday this fall...

Assuming Casey continues to show his game-time skills, there are some positive outcomes:

- we have no QB controversy.

- we have Casey starting, who seems to have a better grasp of how to handle things then the bullets start flying (as someone described it above).

- we have Card as second string, and everyone (Card, players, boosters, fans) knows he isn't ready yet.

So we get to keep both QBs, get to start the one who gives us a better chance now, and get to keep the one who has the higher ceiling for later.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark read his OL and "practice we talkin' bout practice" wrong.  The smart play would have been to go with Casey first game.  I can't say Casey wins the Ark game if he starts LaLa and Ark but I don't think the lights would have been too bright for him as they were for Card.  Good news is we will find out about Casey over the next 3 and then the real test comes.

Card will be fine but we need a better OL and run game for him to reach his potential.  If Casey is successful Sark's goal will be to convince Card not to portal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Rewatching the offensive plays, my main observations were:

Card still showed excellent accuracy and zip on short/intermediate throw. Obv terrible accuracy on deep balls, not sure why bc he seems to have the arm strength.

Card was obviously nervous and had awful pocket presence. He ran himself into 2 of the 3 sacks (including the fumble) when the pocket was still clean. Didn't sit in the pocket long enough to let the plays happen. Also made several throws while scrambling (including the Whit missed TD) that he could've been sitting in the pocket for. This is his single biggest issue imo and we saw it in the spring game and even ULL too.

Casey is just so much more comfortable standing in the pocket reading the field. Usually comes with experience so hopefully Card develops it.

For all the Sark criticism I've seen, Card's statline should've still been excellent. Card finished 8-15, 61 yards. Whit dropped an easy ~25 yarder and a tougher ~15 yarder. Card missed Whit on an wide open ~25 yard TD. He missed Worthy on the deep ball when he had legit 5 yards of separation (minimum 50 yard play, likely 75 yards for a TD). Next play he misses Moore deep with 2-3 yards of separation (minimum ~40 yard play, possibly 75 with a TD). Bottom line, if the players execute on 2-3 of those plays, Card's statline is more like 70% completion, 10 ypa, 1-2 TDs and 0 INT. That would be an elite statline, and still ignores less obvious execution errors like checking down too soon, not pulling the trigger, etc. All that to say, that passing scheme wasn't the problem. Receivers were open, Card had time to hit them, the plays were sitting there to be made. The players didn't execute.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thompson on perseverance: "My mindset was, if I’m not going to get named (the starter) week one and it’s not going to be given to me, I have to go take it myself."

Al I reading too much into this?

Yes, he just meant "I didn't get the job" just like any other human being.  Let's CTFO.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thompson on perseverance: "My mindset was, if I’m not going to get named (the starter) week one and it’s not going to be given to me, I have to go take it myself."

Al I reading too much into this?

Yes. Shocker a 20 or 21 year old gen z kid isn’t perfect at word choice. He’s just saying if he wasn’t initially named the starter he knew he had to work hard to go earn the job. Obvious but it’s a template answer for athletes in interviews.