Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

19 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

2 weeks post Moderna #2. I'm living the post-vax life.

Yup, just over 2 hours ago I crossed the threshold. I know I don’t need to wear my mask to the grocery store anymore. I’ll keep it in my car and carry my vaccination card with me as I figure out how this post-vax life is going to work.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Nothing like being on vacation and catching COVID on your second day.  Fully vaccinated a month ago, woke up yesterday morning not feeling well, symptoms are that of a mid-grade cold.  Female host is 7 months pregnant and also a nurse, and as such is a bit sensitive about all things health-related right now.  Got a take home test and was positive.  Been isolating in the guest house of our host since yesterday afternoon.  Looks like the long awaited vacation will consist of posting on surly and watching tv.  Hopefully that’s the worst case scenario.  To top things off, this was a scouting trip for a move later this year, so there was actually some work that needed to get done in that regard that in all likelihood won’t happen now.  Woo hoo!!!

Nothing like being on vacation and catching COVID on your second day.  Fully vaccinated a month ago, woke up yesterday morning not feeling well, symptoms are that of a mid-grade cold.  Female host is 7 months pregnant and also a nurse, and as such is a bit sensitive about all things health-related right now.  Got a take home test and was positive.  Been isolating in the guest house of our host since yesterday afternoon.  Looks like the long awaited vacation will consist of posting on surly and watching tv.  Hopefully that’s the worst case scenario.  To top things off, this was a scouting trip for a move later this year, so there was actually some work that needed to get done in that regard that in all likelihood won’t happen now.  Woo hoo!!!
Damn sorry to hear that.

On the bright side, I think Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J each had zero hospitalizations for vaccinated people in their trial data and are doing a decent job against the new variants as well.

So, hopefully your immune system kicks this bastard's ass in short order.

1 minute ago, APMP said:

Damn sorry to hear that.

On the bright side, I think Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J each had zero hospitalizations for vaccinated people in their trial data and are doing a decent job against the new variants as well.

So, hopefully your immune system kicks this bastard's ass in short order.

Not that worried about the health aspect.  Pissed beyond belief about the losing the vacation and move prep work.  Good news is I can stay here for as long as is needed at no additional cost.

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Not that worried about the health aspect.  Pissed beyond belief about the losing the vacation and move prep work.  Good news is I can stay here for as long as is needed at no additional cost.

Sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  Can you just wait 72 hrs and retest?  I have lost track of all the CDC recommendations.  

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  Can you just wait 72 hrs and retest?  I have lost track of all the CDC recommendations.  

The nurse host is running things.  I’m doing what I am told to do via FaceTime.  I’ve retested once and still positive.   Just going to wait it out and test daily if it doesn’t get any worse than it is currently, which is mildly annoying.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The nurse host is running things.  I’m doing what I am told to do via FaceTime.  I’ve retested once and still positive.   Just going to wait it out and test daily if it doesn’t get any worse than it is currently, which is mildly annoying.

GL.  Bet you test negative within 48 hrs

8 hours ago, APMP said:
10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
GL.  Bet you test negative within 48 hrs

Yup, and that would be a vaccine win.

Feel a little better this evening.  It would definitely be a vaccine win if I feel the same when I wake up in the morning.

Guest Lobo
13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Great to see.  Sucks you had to deal w the BS in the first place.  Drink twice as much now...

Listen to this man, he's knows what he's talking about.  He's pre-law.  

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Great to see.  Sucks you had to deal w the BS in the first place.  Drink twice as much now...

Out of respect to my 7-month pregnant host, I’m going to do another test tomorrow moning and evening.  She said if they are both negative I can emerge from my hole and interact with everybody at a bit of a distance.   She doesn’t want me hugging her kids just yet.  Wife has tested negative the entire time and has been staying with another of her cousins who aren’t as hypersensitive to this due to being in the healthcare field and pregnant.  She gets to hug the kiddos tonight.  Still pissed about not being able to use my reservation at Fig on Saturday night.

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Out of respect to my 7-month pregnant host, I’m going to do another test tomorrow moning and evening.  She said if they are both negative I can emerge from my hole and interact with everybody at a bit of a distance.   She doesn’t want me hugging her kids just yet.  Wife has tested negative the entire time and has been staying with another of her cousins who aren’t as hypersensitive to this due to being in the healthcare field and pregnant.  She gets to hug the kiddos tonight.  Still pissed about not being able to use my reservation at Fig on Saturday night.

I guess this isn't the place to tell you how much I love Fig.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

And if this sounds like I’m complaining, I’m not.  She has provided every medical resource available.  I’m guessing her hospital is going to be missing a few things the next time they do inventory.  I’ve been using one of those pulse ox things you put on your finger for the last few days.  Dipped down to 93 on Saturday and am back up to 98 today.

Stories like the one we just saw over the past couple of days is why vaccine hesitancy blows my mind.

Sorry if I'm venturing into CR territory. Glad that it's going to end up well for a member of the Surly mafia.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

And if this sounds like I’m complaining, I’m not.  She has provided every medical resource available.  I’m guessing her hospital is going to be missing a few things the next time they do inventory.  I’ve been using one of those pulse ox things you put on your finger for the last few days.  Dipped down to 93 on Saturday and am back up to 98 today.

Thanks for posting.  In my mind after getting vaxd I like to think i am 100% immune to the c19, but even with the super high eff. rate of the vaxs, it's still possible to get.  Glad you had no complications

28 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Thanks for posting.  In my mind after getting vaxd I like to think i am 100% immune to the c19, but even with the super high eff. rate of the vaxs, it's still possible to get.  Glad you had no complications

I’m about as healthy as a 45 year old who is a tad overweight and drinks too much can be, but there is little doubt in my mind that I would have been on the DL for a week or more without the shot.  I’ve lost two older family members to COVID, so I take it seriously.  That being said, just tested negative again, so I am off to pick up the wife and we are going to drive through a bunch of neighborhoods we are considering to get a better feel for them.  If we both test negative again this evening, we will start interacting with other humans again tonight on a limited basis.

• Hook 'Em 3

My wife works in the schools.  I work in the grocery industry. Both of us have been Neck Deep with exposure from day one. Neither one of us ever had symptoms or had to go into quarantine.

once the vaccine became available, I got it for one reason and that is travel so that we could see family. Other than that reason, I probably wouldn’t even care.oh…And come to find out, they don’t even ask about the vaccine to get on a plane. Oh well… I’m fine with having taken the vaccine. It has alleviated a few hassles at work.

Update: everyone is still testing negative.  Had a lovely little socially distanced low country boil in the backyard tonight.  I kept my distance more than anyone else because I could sense mama bear (our host) was still a little uneasy.  This will go away in a day or so and we will still get a few days of quality time with all of the nieces and nephews.  Not ideal, but it certainly could’ve turned out worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, EE2B said:

First Moderna shot at lunch today. Feels good to get the first one knocked out. I should’ve done this a long time ago.

You’re lucky to be alive…don’t celebrate yet.

Edited by slorch

On 6/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, EE2B said:

First Moderna shot at lunch today. Feels good to get the first one knocked out. I should’ve done this a long time ago.

Stay careful. I know three people who ended up with serious cases of COVID between the first and second shots. Don't let your guard down. 

Are any of you running into friends or family that won't get vaccinated? From what I see, I have some friends that just don't believe in it and/or they want a free ride on herd immunity from everyone else. They're also unwilling or unable to communicate why they think the vaccine is dangerous. At best I hear that they don't believe they will die from COVID. And given their age and general health, that's probably true. they completely discount long term side effects.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are any of you running into friends or family that won't get vaccinated? From what I see, I have some friends that just don't believe in it and/or they want a free ride on herd immunity from everyone else. They're also unwilling or unable to communicate why they think the vaccine is dangerous. At best I hear that they don't believe they will die from COVID. And given their age and general health, that's probably true. they completely discount long term side effects.

it's just the "it will never happen me" mentality.  And, statistically speaking, even it does, the outcome will be mild.  But out of the 600K or so that have died in the US, a number greater than 0% have been healthy and young and rolled snake eyes.  Not much you can do.  But yet, there are still people (likely the same people) decrying like 150 cases of the heart inflammation condition supposedly due to the vaccine and not caring that this is out of 150 million vaxed people.  there is no way for logic and reason to change those hearts and minds.  Do what's right for you and yours, give it the ol' college try to convince those you care about and then go about your business.  If unvaxed people get saved by herd immunity, great!  That means it's working and those that can't get the vax yet can breathe a littler easier.

• 1 month later...

12 yr old just got her first vaccination yesterday.  We all had COVID in late January(probably from school).  My wife(no pics), 15 yr old son and I had no issues with the vaccination.  My daughter who got COVID, but who was the only asymptomatic one of us in January is feeling it today.  Mostly tired with spurts of energy and a sore arm.  

• Hook 'Em 2

When people talk about soreness in the arm after getting the shot, are they just talking about feeling it at the point in their arm where they got jabbed with a needle? Or is it more than that. Like, does the whole arm hurt? I mean, anytime you get a shot you’re poking a little hole in your flesh and your going to feel that point until it heals up.

My first shot felt barely like a pin prick and my second I didn’t feel at all. But afterward I could feel the point where the needle went in enough that I could touch it with my eyes closed. Are we talking about a localized “soreness” like that or something more?

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When people talk about soreness in the arm after getting the shot, are they just talking about feeling it at the point in their arm where they got jabbed with a needle? Or is it more than that. Like, does the whole arm hurt? I mean, anytime you get a shot you’re poking a little hole in your flesh and your going to feel that point until it heals up.

My first shot felt barely like a pin prick and my second I didn’t feel at all. But afterward I could feel the point where the needle went in enough that I could touch it with my eyes closed. Are we talking about a localized “soreness” like that or something more?

More localized soreness like you get with a flu shot but a little worse.

Just feels like your whole shoulder is sore from a hard workout

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

More localized soreness like you get with a flu shot but a little worse.

Just feels like your whole shoulder is sore from a hard workout

Okay, I didn’t experience that so I wasn’t sure what people meant. I meant localized in terms of just the point where the needle went in rather than in any of the muscle tissue surrounding it. 

On 6/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, slorch said:

My wife works in the schools.  I work in the grocery industry. Both of us have been Neck Deep with exposure from day one. Neither one of us ever had symptoms or had to go into quarantine.

once the vaccine became available, I got it for one reason and that is travel so that we could see family. Other than that reason, I probably wouldn’t even care.oh…And come to find out, they don’t even ask about the vaccine to get on a plane. Oh well… I’m fine with having taken the vaccine. It has alleviated a few hassles at work.

I feel like this take aged poorly, but you do you.  

My reaction to the Pfizer vaccine was milder than the 2020 flu shot I took. Bad reactions appear to overexaggerated and anecdotal. 

United just hit their employees with a vax mandate. I think this is how it gets done. Employers firing people and flight travel bans for the unvaccinated. I wish it were easier, but it's not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I described it as feeling like someone punched you in the arm and frogged the shit out of you, not like the punch itself, but the  residual soreness.   Not like dead arm or when you threw the football or baseball too much.

Edited by slorch

20 hours ago, Homercles said:

I feel like this take aged poorly, but you do you.  

Maybe.  My motivation for getting vaccinated paid off in spades, as my family was able to get together for the first time in over 18 months.  My outlook was not 'wrong' then and we still have the memories, with possibility for future ones, right?

However, I did post something this morning in the other Cv thread about how someone's reluctance to get the vaccine has touched my life. Had I not been vaccinated already, I would be getting it tomorrow, for sure.  We don't all have the same reasons for doing things, but like a lot of things in life, doing the right thing, for whatever reasons, can pay off in multiple ways.

I do believe getting the vaccine is the right thing to do.