Super Bowl Ratings Still Being “Processed & Verified,” Nielsen Admits After Unprecedented Delay – Update

clapclapclap

https://deadline.com/2021/02/super-bowl-ratings-delayed-nielsen-cbs-buccaneers-tom-brady-1234690027/

UPDATE, 5:11 PM: Well, that was quick, kind of.

Nielsen still don’t have any Super Bowl LV ratings to report today, but they do now have something to say about the unprecedented delay – though it ain’t much.

“Super Bowl numbers are still being processed and verified,” a spokesperson for the blushing company finally said today. “We anticipate that final viewing figures, which will include Out Of Home (OOH) viewing, will be available to the media tomorrow. We will update the press and the industry accordingly when a final timeline is confirmed.”

Which sounds like more of we’ll let you know when we let you know, but we’re not telling you why.

Ref calls “foul.”

PREVIOUSLY, 4:21 PM: There was a lot of history made at the Super Bowl last night for Tom Brady, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and halftime show headliner The Weeknd, but Nielsen today are making some history of their own.

As America waits and waits on the viewership verdict, it appears at this late hour that there will be no ratings for the Big Game any time soon for the first time ever.

Literally becoming the new definition of the phrase “You had one job,” the long-time data measurement company has nothing to report on the Buccaneers 31-9 win over former reigning NFL champs the Kansas City Chiefs on CBS yesterday. Fast affiliate ratings may be available early in the AM tomorrow, I hear. However, as a well-positioned network source said, “that’s anyone’s guess at this point, isn’t it?”

The problem seems to be incorrect metrics that have caused Nielsen to “re-process” their data. A spread sheet of ratings information did go out earlier Monday, but was quickly recalled. Throughout the day, networks were told that numbers would be coming soon, only to be told that the release time had been pushed back again.

“It looks pretty certain there will be nothing tonight now,” said another network exec to Deadline on the delay. Usually unadjusted early numbers for overnight ratings are distributed to network clients around 8 AM PST. Around that time today, Nielsen made it known that nothing was coming down the pipe until at least 11:30 AM PST. (snip)

Rumor they're claiming a pipe burst in the counting building....

Edited by clapclapclap
Viewer fraud?
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/super-bowl-ratings-delayed-nielsen-cbs-buccaneers-tom-brady-1234690027/

UPDATE, 5:11 PM: Well, that was quick, kind of.

Nielsen still don’t have any Super Bowl LV ratings to report today, but they do now have something to say about the unprecedented delay – though it ain’t much.

“Super Bowl numbers are still being processed and verified,” a spokesperson for the blushing company finally said today. “We anticipate that final viewing figures, which will include Out Of Home (OOH) viewing, will be available to the media tomorrow. We will update the press and the industry accordingly when a final timeline is confirmed.”

Which sounds like more of we’ll let you know when we let you know, but we’re not telling you why.

Ref calls “foul.”

PREVIOUSLY, 4:21 PM: There was a lot of history made at the Super Bowl last night for Tom Brady, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and halftime show headliner The Weeknd, but Nielsen today are making some history of their own.

As America waits and waits on the viewership verdict, it appears at this late hour that there will be no ratings for the Big Game any time soon for the first time ever.

Literally becoming the new definition of the phrase “You had one job,” the long-time data measurement company has nothing to report on the Buccaneers 31-9 win over former reigning NFL champs the Kansas City Chiefs on CBS yesterday. Fast affiliate ratings may be available early in the AM tomorrow, I hear. However, as a well-positioned network source said, “that’s anyone’s guess at this point, isn’t it?”

The problem seems to be incorrect metrics that have caused Nielsen to “re-process” their data. A spread sheet of ratings information did go out earlier Monday, but was quickly recalled. Throughout the day, networks were told that numbers would be coming soon, only to be told that the release time had been pushed back again.

“It looks pretty certain there will be nothing tonight now,” said another network exec to Deadline on the delay. Usually unadjusted early numbers for overnight ratings are distributed to network clients around 8 AM PST. Around that time today, Nielsen made it known that nothing was coming down the pipe until at least 11:30 AM PST. (snip)

Rumor they're claiming a pipe burst in the counting building....

...incorrect metrics...

I'd like to see that explained. Maybe it's unimportant.

• Fuck You 1

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the ratings were horribad, bad enough they'll have to refund a bunch of advertiser dollars, and they'r trying to figure out how to spin it, or hoping if they stonewall long enough, people will quit asking. Since all the networks, news outlets, and the NFL have common financial interests, they'll do everything they can to cover up for each other. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the ratings were horribad, bad enough they'll have to refund a bunch of advertiser dollars, and they'r trying to figure out how to spin it, or hoping if they stonewall long enough, people will quit asking. Since all the networks, news outlets, and the NFL have common financial interests, they'll do everything they can to cover up for each other. 

I’m sure Goodell will figure something out.  He’ll pander to anyone or anything.  His motto ... “No boots unlicked, no butts unkissed, no dicks unsucked.”

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

That's what I think, too. They'll bury the details in "metrics" and data dictionaries. Fraud... It's all the rage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Stadiums should be full next year. Having no crowd definitely changes the atmosphere. May not be the reason for the ratings drop though, it's been steadily dropping as people cut the cord. 

I wish they would broadcast the game with the behind the center camera on a string and just stadium noise. They did that for a few college games at one point, of course college atmosphere was better but it still feels like you are there. Plus it's difficult to see what's really going on football wise from the regular side to side camera, I don't understand why they exclusively use that.

I was really expected numbers to be up. We’re told we shouldn’t go to bars, shouldn’t go to super bowl parties, etc. 

So basically in supposed Covid lockdown, what the fuck else is there to do? Read a comic book? I just figured folks would stay home and turn on the tv. I guess I don’t know what I’m talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

I was really expected numbers to be up. We’re told we shouldn’t go to bars, shouldn’t go to super bowl parties, etc. 

So basically in supposed Covid lockdown, what the fuck else is there to do? Read a comic book? I just figured folks would stay home and turn on the tv. I guess I don’t know what I’m talking about. 

54 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Stadiums should be full next year. Having no crowd definitely changes the atmosphere. May not be the reason for the ratings drop though, it's been steadily dropping as people cut the cord. 

I cut the cable a couple years ago and have Sling now but all you needed to watch the SB was a $15-$20 antenna. I suppose I didn't contribute to the ratings. 

Was it politicised? I only pay passing attention when football is not being played. I think I saw Biden say some rah rah Murica stuff but I was not really listening.

My main take away from the pre-game was that maybe the Packers could hire that CGI resurrection of Vince Lombardi in a desperate attempt to get back to the Super Bowl before Aaron Rodgers retires.

Edited by Valmy77

4 hours ago, oh_snap said:

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I thought so, too.  I think the reality is probably that with so many cord cutters and on demand streaming options available now, audiences for everything are just going to be lower and more niche.  

I think that in most years, there are large parties + most people are going to be talking about the commercials & halftime show in the days following the Super Bowl, even for people who don't care about football. It will be a topic of conversation at work the following day... 

...but so much of the country doesn't go into work, and the people who don't care about the game aren't going to still tune in just to watch the commercials when there isn't anyone else to talk to while the game is going on, so they lost those people too.

Lots of people felt disconnected to sports in general and they have fallen off as a form of entertainment in a major way over the last 11 months.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Was it politicised? I only pay passing attention when football is not being played. I think I saw Biden say some rah rah Murica stuff but I was not really listening.

My main take away from the pre-game was that maybe the Packers could hire that CGI resurrection of Vince Lombardi in a desperate attempt to get back to the Super Bowl before Aaron Rodgers retires.

Respecting human beings for being human beings is seen as a political issue by some people.

I was asleep until late in the 1st quarter, so I can't comment on anything up until about the end of the 1st quarter.

- Smaller market teams, the only interesting storyline is "will Brady do the same thing he always does, but in a different place"

- Bars and restaurants closed or limited, no watching the game there

- Lots fewer Super Bowl parties with family, friends, church, etc. to capture the casual viewers

Basically, the question is whether you care enough about the outcome of the game to watch it at your house, by yourself or with your household members.  And for a lot of people that answer is no. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, oh_snap said:

People don't give a shit about much of anything, any more, except just surviving and taking care of a few close friends and family, IF they can. THAT is what policies as severe as a "lockdown" do to people. They kill people and make them give the fuck up. Really stupid, in my humble opinion. Sports? Who give a damn?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

11 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Who’s actually crunching the numbers ... Dominion or the Census Bureau?

Careful, Dominion is about to make enough money from lawsuits to buy their own NFL franchise.  And you might be surprised to learn who was in charge of the 2020 Census.  Hint, it was the same people who can't do basic math to begin with.   

But yeah, I'm guessing this may also be the NFL trying to 21st century spin their viewership.  Typically it was just eyeballs on TV sets because that's how you watch the Super Bowl, in groups of 2 to 2,000.  But I bet a lot of people this year, for the first time in history, viewed the Super Bowl the same way they view most of their shows/events/movies...on a tablet or laptop which is way outside the norm for how Nielsen counts viewers for the Super Bowl.  I watch maybe an hour of the NFL each season, and watch a fair amount of online streaming content on my laptop.  But it would never occur to me to watch the Super Bowl on anything but a big screen TV......until this year.  I bet millions of Americans at home alone, or with just their immediate family, probably watched a bit of the game on a tablet or computer and that doesn't translate well to the way Nielsen has counted viewership for the big game for the last 50+ years.  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Lots of people felt disconnected to sports in general and they have fallen off as a form of entertainment in a major way over the last 11 months

That's been slowly happening for decades, just recently accentuated by a few other events.

Edited by ouflak

25 minutes ago, ouflak said:

That's been slowly happening for decades, just recently accentuated by a few other events.

A while back I was without WiFi for a couple days but the satellite TV worked just fine. It's amazing how quickly I eased back into old sports viewing habits.  Just about any live football game is more interesting that almost anything else on at any given time.  But is it more interesting than anything I can stream immediately at my leisure on Prime or Apple TV?  Nope. When that's available, I'm only making time for my teams or a particularly interesting game. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Maybe Surly could buy a halftime ad for next year’s SB

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

- Smaller market teams, the only interesting storyline is "will Brady do the same thing he always does, but in a different place"

- Bars and restaurants closed or limited, no watching the game there

- Lots fewer Super Bowl parties with family, friends, church, etc. to capture the casual viewers

Basically, the question is whether you care enough about the outcome of the game to watch it at your house, by yourself or with your household members.  And for a lot of people that answer is no. 

We watched reruns of the Brit mystery show “Midsomer Murders” on PBS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I admit I didn’t even turn it on.  COVID and the over politicization of what is to many an escapist activity has made me realize I got better things to do with the time.

I would not be surprised that many feel the same way and will continue to find other outlets. 

After the 25 minute Covid infomercial that was the "pre-game show," I was about ready to turn it off too.

Hey media! We fucking know about Covid! We don't need it shoved down our throat every chance you get.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

It wasn’t politicized at all. Anybody who thinks that is looking for it.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/02/super-bowl-ratings-lowest-52-years-buccaneers-chiefs/

-worst TV ratings since the Joe Namath Super Bowl

-worst viewership since the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl

-highest-ever streaming audience for a Super Bowl

Some comparisons to other championships in terms of viewership/ratings drops in 2020:

-CFP title game dropped 27%

-World Series dropped 30%

-NBA Finals dropped 49%

-Final round of the Masters dropped 58%

-Stanley Cup Final dropped 61%

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

A couple of little downvoting, butt hurt pussies up in here. 

Wait. You went and searched out one of my posts on a different board to neg because I negged you here.

Classic beta, cuck behavior. 

If you want to whine about shit unrelated to football, you're going to get negged.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

No, I'm not. However, unlike you, I don't have a driving desire to fit in and be part of the majority. I'm past giving a fuck.

I just watched a football game, I must have missed all the brainwashing...unless it was subliminal...

• Hook 'Em 2