UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

2 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

We haven't made it to the Sweet 16 since 2008. Give him the job.

I think he’s done a great job but he has a very very good roster that is experienced with senior leadership. If a Billy Donovan says yes he will come you take him all day.

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

Kansas was a 1. Kansas State was a 3. He beat Baylor and TCU. He beat Iowa State. All were single digits.

That’s conference play. Tournament play is way different and you know that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I think he’s done a great job but he has a very very good roster that is experienced with senior leadership. If a Billy Donovan says yes he will come you take him all day.

That’s conference play. Tournament play is way different and you know that. 

I agree. It much tougher to win on the opponent's home court than a neutral tournament court. 

41 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m happy we’re in the sweet 16 but RT beat a 15 and a 10 seed so I don’t think the standard is just to make it with this veteran roster he has. Let’s see if he can beat a single digit seed this Friday first. 

Well Xavier only beat double digit seeds as well so I guess beating them doesn't mean much either.

Am I doing this right?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I agree. It much tougher to win on the opponent's home court than a neutral tournament court. 

Then I guess you think Shaka is a great coach. He won conference games of teams that eventually made the tourney. 

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Well Xavier only beat double digit seeds as well so I guess beating them doesn't mean much either.

Am I doing this right?

Yes I’m not impressed with xavier

51 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m happy we’re in the sweet 16 but RT beat a 15 and a 10 seed so I don’t think the standard is just to make it with this veteran roster he has. Let’s see if he can beat a single digit seed this Friday first. 

You can only beat the team in front of you 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Then I guess you think Shaka is a great coach. He won conference games of teams that eventually made the tourney. 

Yes I’m not impressed with xavier

Don't change the subject. This team has proven that they can beat good teams. Other than Kansas who we beat 2 out of 3, we had more quad one wins than any other school in the country.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You can only beat the team in front of you 

I agree. I just don’t want RT long term. He’s managed a well put together roster after a f5 tornado and kept the wheels from coming off. I want someone that’s built his own roster and won games. Billy Donovan gives me a boner so I’m all in on him even though it won’t happen.

5 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Don't change the subject. This team has proven that they can beat good teams. Other than Kansas who we beat 2 out of 3, we had more quad one wins than any other school in the country.

Lol you started the subject change. I said tourney and you went to conference games of teams that have a high seed now in the tourney. I guess Arkansas would win the big 12? So use your same dumb ass reasoning with Shaka. 

Penn State was 9-2 in their last 11 following a four game losing streak that must have shook some life into them and I assume taught them to commit to small ball and their three point shot. Truly one of the hottest teams in the tournament with one of the best players in Pickett and a few incredible shooters. Also the oldest team in college basketball. Compare that to 3 seed Baylor who limped into the tournament after hitting some sort of wall, and honestly I’d much rather have played Baylor than Penn State right now. All that will be remembered is that they were a 10 seed that challenged us, but I think it helps to provide some context when saying we had an easy route to the Sweet 16

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I guess Purdue is a great team. They’ve proven they can beat tournament high seeds in the regular season. 

We’re in the sweet 16, the first time we have had 2 wins in the NCAA in 15 years and the best shot of going to the Final Four in about 20 years.  Did not make it with Aldridge (won 3) and did not make it with Durant (Won 1 game).

Looking at what he has done at Texas is the key here.  Don’t wish cast on bringing someone else in and anoint them the solution when most of the time what they did before fails to translate to success at Texas.

RT has been successful of keeping the team focused when the HC was fired just a couple months in.  

He navigated the B12 tournament to a banner.

He has made in game adjustments to keep the team focused on what works.

He has maintained the defensive intensity and brought on new found confidence on offense.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I posted this somewhere, but I'll update just for context.  Top 3-pt shooting teams in D1:

1. Colgate

5. Xavier

9. Penn State

11. Gonzaga

It's not like we haven't seen it already.

While Xavier shoots it at a very impressive clip, their average threes per game is pretty close to ours at 7.4 (we average 7.1, Gonzaga is at 7.7 for example). Doesn’t seem like they live and die by it like Penn State does, who made over 10 per game this season (fucking insane).

Xavier is still a tough team to guard, but I think Penn State’s unique style and movement really wore our guards and Timmy down by the second half until we seemed to regroup after the timeout, although they did miss a couple solid looks still. In the first half we were just flying around like organized madmen and doing so definitely helped us win the game in the end. If you don’t give it everything you have and more, that PSU team in their end of season form will do what they did to ATM all day. May be wishful thinking, but I’m hoping that was part of the reason we missed so many good attempts from deep. What I‘m getting at here is we have definitely seen and done well against Xavier’s style of play this year, while PSU was a tough prep for in two days.

Obviously I want to see that we are still aggressive per usual on defense, because they can be had turnover-wise (they are 216th in the country in turnovers per game at 12.2). If we can limit the TOs again and win the turnover battle, plus maybe just maybe shoot at least our average from three, I think we should be happy with the result.

EDIT: lost track and realized this wasn’t the game thread, don’t mean to derail

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Unless Donovan is ready to come to Texas this year, there is not a huge crowd of jaw-dropping candidates waiting for us to snatch them up. If we are going with less than a home-run hire, Terry makes sense for a lot of reasons, most of which I will not rehearse here. In his first turn at the wheel of a major men's team, he has us two games away from matching our best result ever. What he did at UTEP is potentially informative, but the best indicator of how he is likely to coach Texas in the tournament is more likely to be (granted, a limited data set) how he has coached Texas in the tournament. Chasing some other "maybe" or "probably" when we have at least in some sense a S16 coach would be foolishness. Hope that Donovan surprises us and comes or, failing that, that Terry has grown in team-building under Beard and brings us right back next year without his interim tag.

How do you expect to succeed without rehearsing?

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I guess Purdue is a great team. They’ve proven they can beat tournament high seeds in the regular season. 

It's night and day if you compare the way Matt Painter coached his team in the last 10 minutes of the FDU game vs. the way RT coached his team in the last 10 minutes of the Penn State game.

Painter didn't call a TO to calm them down until there was like a minute left. Painter drew up dumb plays with Edey setting picks at half court. Painter let his guys jack up 3s instead of doing the obvious and feeding Edey. Painter's guys were fucking SHOOK and scared when they went down.

RT called two TOs to calm his team and end Penn State runs. RT drew up smart plays to get us good shoots. RT fed Disu instead of letting the ice cold guards shoot 3s. RT's guys were confident and didn't miss a shot after Penn State's 10-0 run to go up 3.

Anyone playing the "RT doesn't do anything. He's just lucky he has Beard's players" card doesn't watch the games closely imo. Maybe his tactics won't work as well with a different set of players, but he's clearly doing things strategically, making adjustments, coming in with a solid game plan, etc. He's not just sitting there saying "attaboy!"

Purdue would probably still be in the tournament if RT was their head coach.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Terry sold me at the end of the Penn St game. We were down late, he called a TO, and obviously reminded them about going inside to Disu. 

straight out of the book of his mentor rick barnes, who was great about this. i can't count the number of times that a team would go on a run against us and rick would call a TO, and you'd see us pound the ball inside three possessions in a row. it's the best way to stop an opponent run like that- slow the game down, and try to get good looks around the rim and at the line. seeing RT call that TO and turn the game around was a great sign, i loved it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

It's night and day if you compare the way Matt Painter coached his team in the last 10 minutes of the FDU game vs. the way RT coached his team in the last 10 minutes of the Penn State game.

Painter didn't call a TO to calm them down until there was like a minute left. Painter drew up dumb plays with Edey setting picks at half court. Painter let his guys jack up 3s instead of doing the obvious and feeding Edey. Painter's guys were fucking SHOOK and scared when they went down.

RT called two TOs to calm his team and end Penn State runs. RT drew up smart plays to get us good shoots. RT fed Disu instead of letting the ice cold guards shoot 3s. RT's guys were confident and didn't miss a shot after Penn State's 10-0 run to go up 3.

Anyone playing the "RT doesn't do anything. He's just lucky he has Beard's players" card doesn't watch the games closely imo. Maybe his tactics won't work as well with a different set of players, but he's clearly doing things strategically, making adjustments, coming in with a solid game plan, etc. He's not just sitting there saying "attaboy!"

FDU pretty much just fronted Edey and doubled the shit out of him. They begged for Purdue to beat them with anyone else. And Purdue couldn't figure out an adjustment. Painter seems like he fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I never said painter was a good coach. I used Purdue as an example for old gregggy since he said texas has already beaten “high seeded” teams during conference play and I was saying tournament and conference are polar opposite. Example: Purdue. 

Painter is a great example of a regular season coach that chokes when it matters most. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Terry sold me at the end of the Penn St game. We were down late, he called a TO, and obviously reminded them about going inside to Disu. They also made a couple of other adjustments. After, they took the lead and never looked back. If it wasn't Terry, then he's smart enough to let one of his assistants do it, which shows he understands that the team being successful is more important than him. If he was totally clueless, and the players figured it out and didn't listen to Terry and did it on their own, then were screwed. But Saturday wasn't the first time adjustments were made, which changed the outcome. Kids obviously love him, and it looks like he can actually make coaching decisions during a game, instead of doing breathing exercises at critical times. I was in the find someone else camp earlier, but he's won me over. 

i see a couple of guys laughing but I agree here.  He stopped their run after that time out. We immediately took over.  

yes I understand a better coach wouldn’t have been in that position or we would’ve gone an even bigger run if Beard was around.  I get it.  But baby steps

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Tell that to Tommie Lloyd who you would probably take in a heartbeat over Terry. I love this shit and I knew it was coming. A fucking #1 seed lost this weekend to a 16 and you actually think this was a logical post. Lulz.

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Terry sold me at the end of the Penn St game. We were down late, he called a TO, and obviously reminded them about going inside to Disu. They also made a couple of other adjustments. After, they took the lead and never looked back. If it wasn't Terry, then he's smart enough to let one of his assistants do it, which shows he understands that the team being successful is more important than him. If he was totally clueless, and the players figured it out and didn't listen to Terry and did it on their own, then were screwed. But Saturday wasn't the first time adjustments were made, which changed the outcome. Kids obviously love him, and it looks like he can actually make coaching decisions during a game, instead of doing breathing exercises at critical times. I was in the find someone else camp earlier, but he's won me over. 

Nah it was the coaching staff, because the play coming out of the TO was specifically designed to get Disu an easy look in the paint.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I never said painter was a good coach. I used Purdue as an example for old gregggy since he said texas has already beaten “high seeded” teams during conference play and I was saying tournament and conference are polar opposite. Example: Purdue. 

Painter is a great example of a regular season coach that chokes when it matters most. 

The time to quit digging a hole is when you're at the bottom of it. Like now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You can say RT has done a great job and still would like to find another coach moving forward. It doesn’t have to be all in on RT or nothing.

I mean if RT has done a great job why would you let him go and take a chance on someone else?

I feel bad for y'alls wives. You must always be thinking about how she's not as good as you could possibly do in an ideal world and fantasizing about other options. The grass is always greener. You always think that the person who is not here right now might be better than the person who is. Which is almost never true.

Personally in my life I've learned to appreciate the people who are there working their asses off, trying their best, and doing a great job even if they're not the perfect ideal. Because in my experience it almost always turns out that the person you thought might be the perfect ideal from far away is not actually that great once they're there up close.

Jettisoning RT for anyone short of Billy Donovan or Jay Wright makes no sense to me. And even then I'm not 100% sold.

I'm sure as fuck not trying to push RT out for Oats, Musselman, etc. at this point. Again if he sucks in 3 years ok let's move on. We will still be Texas with plenty of money to attract almost anyone at that point.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MotownHorn said:

I mean if RT has done a great job why would you let him go and take a chance on someone else?

I feel bad for y'alls wives. The grass is always greener. You always think that the person who is not here right now might be better than the person who is. Which is almost never true.

Personally in my life I've learned to appreciate the people who are there working their asses off, trying their best, and doing a great job even if they're not the perfect ideal. Because in my experience it almost always turns out that the person you thought might be the perfect ideal from far away is not actually that great once they're there up close.

Jettisoning RT for anyone short of Billy Donovan or Jay Wright makes no sense to me. And even then I'm not 100% sold.

I'm sure as fuck not trying to push RT out for Oats, Musselman, etc. at this point.

There are two guys that you would take over him regardless. Shame Oats has that massive buyout because he’d be a 3rd. 

10 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

UT will get destroyed in the press if CDC doesn't hire RT.  

Yes, and rightfully so. There isn’t even a plan for the fantastical home run hire. Terry will be given a 4-yr+ deal. I’m surprised we’re still having the discussion. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There are two guys that you would take over him regardless. Shame Oats has that massive buyout because he’d be a 3rd. 

I don't want Oats anywhere near the University of Texas.

Murder is worse than domestic violence. And neither of them are any fucking good. Hard pass.

FOUR Bama players were at that murder scene. It's basically a team building exercise murdering a perfectly innocent 23 year old mother at that point. If you want Oats there's something fucking wrong with you IMO. 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I don't want Oats anywhere near the University of Texas.

Murder is worse than domestic violence. And neither of them are any fucking good. Hard pass.

FOUR Bama players were at that murder scene. It's basically a team building exercise murdering a perfectly innocent 23 year old mother at that point. If you want Oats there's something fucking wrong with you IMO. 

K cool

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Terry sold me at the end of the Penn St game. We were down late, he called a TO, and obviously reminded them about going inside to Disu. They also made a couple of other adjustments. After, they took the lead and never looked back.

A tale of two coaches:

Acting Texas head coach uses a late timeout to get his team to focus on what was working and draws up a play that actually leads to points; team soon regains lead and never looks back.

Former Texas head coach uses a late timeout for "breathing exercises;" team falls behind and never recovers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yes.  But you play who is in front of you and he earned the 2 seed.  Again on Techs magical run, their first two opponents were northern kentucky and Buffalo.  Buffalo was a good team but still a mid major

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  But you play who is in front of you and he earned the 2 seed.  Again on Techs magical run, their first two opponents were northern kentucky and Buffalo.  Buffalo was a good team but still a mid major

And UVA played a 16, 9, 12, 3, 5 and 3 to win their title. You play who is in front of you. Doesn’t matter who it is - 6 in a row wins you a title. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And UVA played a 16, 9, 12, 3, 5 and 3 to win their title. You play who is in front of you. Doesn’t matter who it is - 6 in a row wins you a title. 

I believe we are in agreement

30 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes, and rightfully so. There isn’t even a plan for the fantastical home run hire. Terry will be given a 4-yr+ deal. I’m surprised we’re still having the discussion. 

Probably had a plan and RT blew it up.  

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I believe we are in agreement

Probably had a plan and RT blew it up.  

According to rocket horn, it wasn’t impressive enough since Bennett didn’t demand to play only the best seeds or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how you can be a fan of Texas basketball and watch this team without being impressed by what Terry has done this season. How many seasons have we had with talented rosters that played top 10 ball at some point in the season only to meltdown later in the season and in March? This team has a good roster but it's not loaded with first round picks by any means. IMO we have had several teams with better rosters that were much worse than this team on the court, even with Barnes who was a very good, if flawed, coach. I think there are plenty of long-term question marks about RT in charge as far as roster management, player development, culture building, etc, but he has done an excellent job of guiding us through this season.

We also happen to know that Terry is a damn good recruiter, and he actually even assembled some high end talent at UTEP, including Souley Boum (I don't know the details of why he didn't win more there, but in any case that program is not UT). The guy knows the UT program.. I don't usually buy into this sort of thought but I think there is something there with UT basketball. We are an odd program in that we have a rather unusual mix of unlimited resources and immense access to talent, but also a contradictory combination of middling fan/student enthusiasm yet extremely high expectations. Our former NBA players might be a more important part of the program than at any other school, and many of them played for RT. Shaka definitely did not get UT basketball and Chris Beard did.

And I completely agree that if we replaced Terry we would get absolutely destroyed by the media and it would be setting up the next guy for failure, whether that is fair to us or not. We know from Shaka Smart, Tom Herman, Charlie Strong, etc, that any coaching hire is an unknown that might fail. I see hiring Terry as having a higher floor and no lower of a ceiling than hiring any other coach would be, outside of the aforementioned Jay Wright / Brad Stevens tier of guys that aren't coming.

I will say that if we were going to hire a different coach Sean Miller would make a lot of sense. He is damn good and I hope we can beat him on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

According to rocket horn, it wasn’t impressive enough since Bennett didn’t demand to play only the best seeds or something. 

Lmao. You’ve seen my posts this season where I’ve gone above and beyond praising RT. We’ve won two games we were supposed to win. 

Again, you can be happy for the job RT has done this season and still think we need a new coach for the next 4-5 years. Hopefully one that has built his own roster and has won. BD and maybe a couple of more you could try and poach is all that’s out there. I’ve given in to the fact we are probably keeping RT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The only question with Terry is can he build a program and win with his own guys. Maybe Texas recruits itself and we don't need to worry about that shit, but I doubt it

Last three coaches have recruited very well.  I expect Rodney to do the same. 

also.  It’s been 15 years since we’ve made the sweet 16.  What will the next guy think when you fire him ?   Unrealistic expectations maybe

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Nah it was the coaching staff, because the play coming out of the TO was specifically designed to get Disu an easy look in the paint.

As discussed next time down was Carr hard to the rim, not drive and jump shot.  I think it was hey get it to Disu or if it’s there guards get to the rim and draw the foul. If that was the message then the guys executed 100%.  That’s coaching, players, and experience.  Drawing up a play or two, telling guys what to do, and then seeing them execute for 4+ mins is fucking amazing.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Last three coaches have recruited very well.  I expect Rodney to do the same. 

also.  It’s been 15 years since we’ve made the sweet 16.  What will the next guy think when you fire him ?   Unrealistic expectations maybe

The next guy will think, damn I better make the elite 8, final four, or championship haha