Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

44 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas is already golden. Two more wins against any of these teams and they're getting a top 6ish seed. Some of ya'll really underestimate how shitty the bubble is.

A 7-11 Big 12 team is making the tournament this year. 

Edit: I assume you're talking about the bubble but I guess you could be talking about something else. 

I’d have us as a 5 with 2-3 finish to the season I think- but it could be a 6 I suppose. If the season ended today I’d assume we are a 4 seed. If we finish with 5 wins (counting the conference tournament) I have us as a 3 seed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I just read about this, family issues?

I haven't really been able to find a reliable source yet. Seems like a touchy family issue. Everything is tight-lipped.

There's almost no shot Texas can finish 4-1, or even 3-2, if Mitchell doesn't play.

Edited by MuellerHorn

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Speaking of former Texas players, has anyone watched Will Baker this year? 

The guy looks like a completely different person with facial hair and weight gain. I'm not sure Texas fans would even know it's him. 

crazier is he's shooting 39% from 3.  I know its a level down from Big 12 but wow.

• Like 1

I think Hamm could probably help Texas this year but all in all none of the guys that transferred are spectacular. 

The player I do wish would have returned is Coleman. If Texas had a legit guard off the bounce this would be a substantially better team. Probably even top 5 good. IMO Coleman was a very good college guard that just wasn't utilized correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

This team has: 

•no size

•no athletes 

•no shooters

This team is:

•19-7 (8-5, 15-1 at home)

•no. 14 in KenPom (14th in AdjD, 30th in AdjO)

•well coached

•designed to win in the tourney 

we've got a top 10, possibly top 5 coach nationally, with a bona fide top 5 staff of assistants, and a top 10 recruiting class incoming. just wait until Beard gets a roster full of his own guys. we are in unbelievably great shape moving forward, co soldering what was left when our previous coach left. 

Yeah, especially defensively. 

I think this is the floor defensively and it's a top 10 defense. 

This team has: 
•no size
•no athletes 
•no shooters

This team is:
•no. 14 in KenPom (10th in AdjD, 30th in AdjO)
•well coached

we've got a top 10, possibly top 5 coach nationally, with a bona fide top 5 staff of assistants, and a top 10 recruiting class incoming. just wait until Beard gets a roster full of his own guys. we are in unbelievably great shape moving forward, considering what was left when our previous coach left. 

Looking like a tough gritty group that doesnt mind being in close games coming down the stretch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

This team has: 

•no size

•no athletes 

•no shooters

This team is:

•no. 14 in KenPom (10th in AdjD, 30th in AdjO)

•well coached

we've got a top 10, possibly top 5 coach nationally, with a bona fide top 5 staff of assistants, and a top 10 recruiting class incoming. just wait until Beard gets a roster full of his own guys. we are in unbelievably great shape moving forward, considering what was left when our previous coach left. 

This this this. The casual fan has no idea of the massive difference between Bears and Smart. But up close it’s amazing he’s winning with this group. There’s no great scorer. No great point guard. No size. No great shooter. 

This group is a full of a bunch of guys who are good / very good college players who have limited potential to make it to the NBA.  As a consequence, they are very mature and relatively skilled, but not very athletic at all.

Beard has coached them up to be gritty AF.  They are STILL learning how to play within his system and are still developing chemistry. Earlier in the year they were tentative, not because of inexperience, but because they were still figuring out how to play Beard's style of basketball.  We are still seeing that to a degree, but every game is getting better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

These next 2 games at home seem important. Beat two likely tournament teams (Tech and TCU) I would say there's a great chance Texas gets a top 4 seed. 

Not sure if tcu will hold on to being a tournament team.  That bad loss at home last night moved them to 5-6 in the B12 standings.  They need at least 2 more wins (probably 3)

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 2/19
@BAY7 BAY
11:00 AM

espn-2@2x.png

Mon, 2/21
vsWVUWVU
7:00 PM
BIG12|ESPN+

Wed, 2/23
@TEX20 TEX
6:00 PM    
Sat, 2/26
vsTTU11 TTU
5:00 PM

espn-2@2x.png

Tue, 3/1
vsKU6 KU
BIG12|ESPN+

Thu, 3/3
@KU6 KU
BIG12|ESPN+

Sat, 3/5
@WVUWVU
1:00 PM
BIG12|ESPN+

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

This team has: 

• no size
  • no athletes 
  • no shooters

This team is:

• 19-7 (8-5, 15-1 at home)
  • no. 14 in KenPom (10th in AdjD, 30th in AdjO)
  • well coached
  • designed to win in the tourney 

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I haven't really been able to find a reliable source yet. Seems like a touchy family issue. Everything is tight-lipped.

There's almost no shot Texas can finish 4-1, or even 3-2, if Mitchell doesn't play.

not my place to share details, but it is a family health issue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, someguy said:

not my place to share details, but it is a family health issue.  

I’m embarrassed I’ve had such mixed feelings about it. The fan side of me wanted it to be a family health issue. The human side of me wanted it to be basketball related. I’m sorry the fan side of me gets to be pleased.

I hope whatever the situation is it turns out for the best for everyone involved. Regardless, I look forward to Mitchell rejoining the team whenever it’s appropriate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

What does the Big 12 tourney bracket look like the okie state being banned? Are they just considered 10th and the 7 seed moves on to play the 2nd??

The first day of play will just be one game (8/9) instead of two games (8/9 and 7/10).  I think wherever they are in the standings, everyone just moves up a slot.  So if they finish 7th, everyone below them is seeded a spot higher (8th is seeded 7th, 9th is seeded 8th and 10th is seeded 9th). 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, Revolution512 said:

Beard’s number one priority, to me, has to be figuring out getting into our sets. We start slowly or go through droughts when people pressure our ball handlers or blitz the ball screens. Everyone is taking it right to us and we aren’t able to get going. When that happens, the offense collapses 

Great post by Revolution512, so bumping forward.

Recently, the Texas offense has been much more aggressive earlier in their offensive possessions.  Really enjoyed their offensive performance during the overtime against blOU last night.  

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The roster churn of transfers and Freshman signees are Beard's guys. He has been doing that for a while now.

Out of the holdovers, Ramey is a shut down defender, Jones is a scoring spark/ leadership/ gut check, Febres( point conceded,) and Cunningham is the defensive spark/ disruptor.  All of those guys except possibly Febres have produced/ contributed.  Who do you think Beard wishes wasn't there?

Hell, the case could be made that one of "Beard's own guys" is the worst player on the team in the Musketeer, God love him.

I disagree that the roster is remotely a negative/ opportunity.  It ain't a surprise either, how the team's play has developed through the season.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Against the KU dude, yeah.  Otherwise, I'd say he's a 3-point chucker.

Do you think Beard wishes Ramey would have moved on, as in, Ramey's dead weight?

I don't.