Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Because the more this goes on the more it reads like he was mad at playing time and quit on his team. 

The only family issue he’s got is that family members in his life are fucking morons spewing bullshit in his ear. 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Would he have one more year or two more years after the conclusion of our season in April?  

Doesn’t matter. He gone. There’s no way he’s coming back after all the shit his dad talked about Beard on Twitter. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, I was just thinking of how long he'd have at another school, and then as far as planning for the draft (if he has lots of friends and family tell him he's ready, which could likely happen).  But even with the Covid year, if you transfer a second time after this season, that does burn a year (even the Covid year), or?  So if he transfers now via the portal, he won't have to sit, but that'll be his final year of eligibility?  I'm just wondering what he's being told, he won't get drafted this June.  But maybe two more seasons at another quality program could get him there...but if he only has one...I don't know...does he just say fuck it and go play in Europe?  I really, really had high hopes for this young man and he had great glimpses early on.  

^
That's fucking awesome.  Part of Why I love this school.  

No matter how hard people try to tear us down, we'll never be like A&M.  

Top 20 program on national TV gets big win in the home stretch before seeding.  And who congratulates the team...one of our  Oscar winners?  One of our many local tech billionaires?  Just the new King of Jeopardy, that's who.  

1 minute ago, Chad said:

It was nice to continue the dominance over TCU, but looking ahead to the 28th can Texas finally record a W against Baylor for the first time in four fucking years please.

Not counting on it. That's part of why this win tonight was so important. For me it's more likely this team loses its last 3 games than it is they win two of the 3. Beat West Virginia in Morgantown, and then roll the dice against Baylor and Kansas.

The defense in the post is severely undermanned. Baylor has a short bench, too, because of injuries, but it's a much more athletic roster, with better shooters. 

11 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I've said this before, but I still don't like the style of offense he plays, I think it relies far too much on individual efforts as opposed to playing good team basketball in the half court. It's not really a true motion offense, and half the time you're really not sure what's going on until someone makes an individual play. If you look at our big tourney games that year:

1. Michigan - Didn't matter much, UM could not handle the no middle defense and effectively gave up after halftime.
  2. Gonzaga - Great game, but we got pretty lucky with some individual plays down the stretch and some poor officiating in our favor/boneheaded mistakes by the Zags. We had two possessions in a row toward the end where we just aimlessly dribbled the ball around the perimeter and chunked up a 3, both just happened to go in. We absolutely pissed our pants on a couple of full court presses that also could have cost us the game, etc etc.
  3. Michigan State - Almost pissed this game away due to lack of coherent offensive action for the last 10 minutes or so of that game. Dribble, dribble, dribble, 3 pointer from Culver sealed the game.
  4. Virginia - Lots of what ifs in that game, but dribble, dribble, dribble, contested Culver jumper (x2) on the final possession was not what I wanted to see. Literally any kind of offensive action or set play would have been better.

Again, that 2019 Tech team was a huge anomaly in an offensive sense. We had at least 5 (depending on how you slice it) competent ball handlers and 6 players you absolutely had to guard at the 3 point line (7 if you stretch it and count Tariq Owens...his percentage wasn't great but he was green-lit to shoot them and hit several big 3s in the tourney). That is not normal and literally any school would be lucky to see that kind of combination in a lifetime.

I do believe Beard would benefit greatly from changing his offensive approach, maybe bringing in a known offensive mind as an associate head coach or something and let him focus on the defense. A lot of people wanted him to do that at Tech.

Great post.

My take - he's not going to hire someone to run his offense.  He's going to run the same offense.  The reason he came to Texas was to have better access to and more successfully recruit the individual talent he needs to win running 1) his defense and 2) whatever offense he can generate through individual talent that is not derived from his defense.  If he were to ever hire an OC, that's when we'll know he determined he can't garner improved results just with better recruiting / talent.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Great post.

My take - he's not going to hire someone to run his offense.  He's going to run the same offense.  The reason he came to Texas was to have better access to and more successfully recruit the individual talent he needs to win running 1) his defense and 2) whatever offense he can generate through individual talent that is not derived from his defense.  If he were to ever hire an OC, that's when we'll know he determined he can't garner improved results just with better recruiting / talent.

I think you're probably right on all counts.

2 hours ago, jinx said:

Good win and shows how much coaching matters when talent is equal or less.

I’m curious like others what Mitchell’s issue is. We could definitely use him in March. 

What is curious is his USG is the same between UMass and Texas. Both at 26.3%, but he's averaging 10 less points and 6 less shots. It's likely that Texas was going to him, but he's not able to physically dominate the Big 12 like he was the A10. Even his Per 40 isn't that far off, in shots per game just he's not hitting the same percentages, and he's shooting nearly 50% less FTs per game. Sounds like his dad got into his head, without knowing the correct facts.

"I buzz fast and I know things."

reminds me of Tyrion Lannister when he said, "That's what I do.  I drink.  And I know things."  

I guess the mash-up would be "I drink to get a buzz fast.  And I know things."  

How cool to get the tower lit for you.  

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What is curious is his USG is the same between UMass and Texas. Both at 26.3%, but he's averaging 10 less points and 6 less shots. It's likely that Texas was going to him, but he's not able to physically dominate the Big 12 like he was the A10. Even his Per 40 isn't that far off, in shots per game just he's not hitting the same percentages, and he's shooting nearly 50% less FTs per game. Sounds like his dad got into his head, without knowing the correct facts.

This news isn't shocking to me. Mitchell had only played over 20 minutes in 1 of the last 5 games. 

Mitchell is too slow on the defensive end and IMO Bishop has been the best player for about a month. I would prefer Mitchell stick things out but Bishop needs to be a 30 minute a night guy at the 5 right now. 

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Not counting on it. That's part of why this win tonight was so important. For me it's more likely this team loses its last 3 games than it is they win two of the 3. Beat West Virginia in Morgantown, and then roll the dice against Baylor and Kansas.

The defense in the post is severely undermanned. Baylor has a short bench, too, because of injuries, but it's a much more athletic roster, with better shooters. 

People are overthinking size in the post. Beard has always played small. Tonight the game changed against TCU when Bishop was able to start hedging on the perimeter and switch. Beard would much rather have athleticism than size at the 5.  I bet this is the underlying issue with Mitchell and why his minutes were starting to decline. 

IMO, the interior problems against a team like Tech had more to do with the back court. Tech's wings and guards are too athletic/big for our guys (especially on the boards). 

I thought for a stretch there our best lineup was when we went big with Allen/Mitchell/Bishop but I think this lineup is what Beard wants with Bishop at the 5. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I consider him gone. I understand Beard is trying to work on it. 

Probably safest--and best--to assume he's gone, but I will hold out hope for reconciliation. This team needs him. I doubt they make the second weekend without him. He has his limitations, but so does everyone else on the roster, yet they all have key contributions to make.

Don't quit on your brothers, Tre. You might not have known each other for long, but y'all have been battling together--for each other--and have more to do.

🤘

I hope Mitchell sticks things out but Bishop also needs to be a 30 minute a night guy. He's been very good the last month or so. 

Bishop is now 2nd in ORTG, 2nd OR, 1st DR, 2nd BLK%, 2nd TS, 3rd PRPG!, and 2nd in FTR. Unfortunately, I think that's part of the issue with Mitchell. When Bishop is playing this well at the 5 minutes are going to be limited. 

For a team that struggles to score they need somebody that can grab offensive boards and get to the free throw line. Bishop is the best on the team at both of those things. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Probably safest--and best--to assume he's gone, but I will hold out hope for reconciliation. This team needs him. I doubt they make the second weekend without him. He has his limitations, but so does everyone else on the roster, yet they all have key contributions to make.

Don't quit on your brothers, Tre. You might not have known each other for long, but y'all have been battling together--for each other--and have more to do.

🤘

BS. His dad basically nuked that possibility with his moronic tweets calling out Beard specifically. This season is a luxury anyway. We're at a 20-win season for the first time in years and whatever happens in either tourney, we are far beyond what we could've hoped for with Shaka at the helm. I hope Beard sees this season as house money. If so, Tre (good kid surrounded by dipshits) is gone, Beard can teach his rightfully-pissed teammates what it's like to give up on your team and what it means to stay committed, focus their resolve for this year's tournaments, and go big next year without caving to a whiny helicopter parent. Like you, I don't think we make it to the second round without Tre, but we don't need the distraction at this point and I think Beard's better off creating a lesson for his team while he looks longer-term. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

"I buzz fast and I know things."

reminds me of Tyrion Lannister when he said, "That's what I do.  I drink.  And I know things."  

I guess the mash-up would be "I drink to get a buzz fast.  And I know things."  

How cool to get the tower lit for you.  

giphy.gif

I know using the Jeopardy font/logo would be a pain in the ass.  

But if we don't get a burnt orange surly shirt that says:

"Buzz Fast.  Know Things." 

With a Longhorn/Bevo wearing a Pagri (or as close as we can get without trademark violation)

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

BS. His dad basically nuked that possibility with his moronic tweets calling out Beard specifically. This season is a luxury anyway. We're at a 20-win season for the first time in years and whatever happens in either tourney, we are far beyond what we could've hoped for with Shaka at the helm. I hope Beard sees this season as house money. If so, Tre (good kid surrounded by dipshits) is gone, Beard can teach his rightfully-pissed teammates what it's like to give up on your team and what it means to stay committed, focus their resolve for this year's tournaments, and go big next year without caving to a whiny helicopter parent. Like you, I don't think we make it to the second round without Tre, but we don't need the distraction at this point and I think Beard's better off creating a lesson for his team while he looks longer-term. 

Don't disagree with anything you've said. Those tweets from Tre's pop are shockingly ignorant and potentially cancerous.

I'd put it to the team--do they still want Tre around or has the bridge been burned?  Could all be forgiven? Would Tre stay committed and focused if he did return?

No to any of those and it's definitely not worth the distraction. The team has been playing well despite an unforgiving schedule (7-3 over the past 10 games). I don't wanna fuck with that. I just think Mitchell's services still have value, but only if he truly wants to be there and if his coach and teammates still want him there.

• Hook 'Em 2

… and whomever sets up pressers STILL hasn’t figured out how to provide a mic to the people asking the questions.

I also think our press backdrop for all press conferences looks bad. It should be similar to the masters one. Just burnt orange with one impressive sponsor and our iconic logo alternating.

7 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I also think our press backdrop for all press conferences looks bad. It should be similar to the masters one. Just burnt orange with one impressive sponsor and our iconic logo alternating.

CDC:

jason-bateman-no.gif

12 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah that was a big win last night. With 12 minutes left we were looking at a very real chance of finishing the year on a 5 game losing streak. 
need to take care of business at Morgantown. 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah that was a big win last night. With 12 minutes left we were looking at a very real chance of finishing the year on a 5 game losing streak. 
need to take care of business at Morgantown. 

Eh. I think people’s fears about this stretch have been overblown. WVU is really bad. They’re 1-13 in their last 14 games. I highly doubt we would lose to them even if we didn’t pull out the TCU game. As it stands, we just need to beat a bad WVU team and then we’ll be at least 10-8 in conference and playing with house money for the final two games. 

This is also why @LTtxfan’s fears of going 1-6 were so ridiculous when we were the favorites in 3 or 4 of those 7 games.

Speaking of which, he was first worried we’d go 3-7 in the coming 10 game stretch. We started that stretch 2-1 so he then shifted to being worried we’d go 1-6 over our next 7. We’re currently 2-1 in that 7 game stretch as well, so I guess the real takeaway is we need him to make another post about how scared he is that we’ll end the season 0-3 and lose in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. 

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Eh. I think people’s fears about this stretch have been overblown. WVU is really bad. They’re 1-13 in their last 14 games. I highly doubt we would lose to them even if we didn’t pull out the TCU game. As it stands, we just need to beat a bad WVU team and then we’ll be at least 10-8 in conference and playing with house money for the final two games. 

This is also why @LTtxfan’s fears of going 1-6 were so ridiculous when we were the favorites in 3 or 4 of those 7 games.

Speaking of which, he was first worried we’d go 3-7 in the coming 10 game stretch. We started that stretch 2-1 so he then shifted to being worried we’d go 1-6 over our next 7. We’re currently 2-1 in that 7 game stretch as well, so I guess the real takeaway is we need him to make another post about how scared he is that we’ll end the season 0-3 and lose in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. 

Well, we’d lost to Tech and if we’d have lot that game we’d be on a 2 game streak with only one “easy” game left in the last 3 after that. Beating WVU is as key as beating TCU. Do that and it’s no big deal to go 2-3 in our last 5 as those would all be too 10 teams we lost to.  

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Does anyone here think Febres should still be getting minutes? 

No, but I also don't think Askew and Cunningham (to an extent) should be playing as much as they do. Someone has to get bench minutes to give the starters a breather. Mitchell leaving is forcing us to play certain guys more minutes than we normally would.

They all 3 have their limitations but Askew and Cunningham can at least do some things. 

Febres is in the game to stretch the court and he can't hit anything from 3. I get the idea because Texas needs anyone that can hit an open 3 but I think we've seen enough to know Febres isn't catching fire this year. 

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Does anyone here think Febres should still be getting minutes? 

Judging from his career thus far he's usually good for 2 or 3 games where he goes off for 5 or more 3s. It won't hurt to give him spot check minutes throughout the season to see if he's hot on any particular night. His defense isn't bad in my eyes. The main thing he lacks (outside of his shot being broke right now) is the inability to penetrate. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not shit. 

Well, geezus, Wally.  If you can’t drop a hint to the SID, who can? 😇 

Tell ‘em to put one mic on a stand in the middle of the room.  Then tell the lazy reporters that they’ll have to get off their fat asses and go to the mic if they want their question answered.

Somehow, they seem to think they’re the important part of a presser.  Maybe there’ll be fewer stoopid questions asked …