Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Three more hours until we know our fate.  I'm still hoping against hope we get seeded in Forth Worth as a 5.  But it's 2022, we'll be a 7 and sent to Pittsburgh because fuck civilization.  Fuck the doomed.

14 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It’d signal the disparity amongst top seeds and suggest there is little chance anyone outside of a 1, 2 or 3 seed making the FF. This isn’t a 5 seed. 

Wut? Where you advance in the tourney is irrelevant to what your seeding should be before the tournament. Our resume is a 5 or 6. This team is a 5 or 6. Not sure why you keep repeating that they aren’t. 

Edited by hobbes2702

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wut? Where you advance in the tourney is irrelevant to what your seeding should be before the tournament. Our resume is a 5 or 6. This team is a 5 or 6. Not sure why you keep repeating that they aren’t. 

Your second sentence - thanks pal. Had no clue (fucking Christ are you serious?).

My point is, if this team is a 5 seed (it’s not and we will be a 6), then it is indicative of a tournament where all the top seeds make it, and no team below probably a 3 seed has any realistic chance of making the FF. I’m repeating we aren’t a 5 seed because we are highly unimpressive and would be the worst 5 seed in recent memory. We have little shot at making tbe S16 and zero chance at a FF. But thanks for pointing out that your seeding is irrelevant to where you advance. Lulz. Im not your fucking wife. 

Edited by Porterhouse

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Your second sentence - thanks pal. Had no clue (fucking Christ are you serious?).

My point is, if this team is a 5 seed (it’s not and we will be a 6), then it is indicative of a tournament where all the top seeds make it, and no team below probably a 3 seed has any realistic chance of making the FF. I’m repeating we aren’t a 5 seed because we are highly unimpressive and would be the worst 5 seed in recent memory. We have little shot at making tbe S16 and zero chance at a FF. But thanks for pointing out that your seeding is irrelevant to where you advance. Lulz. Im not your fucking wife. 

So we are worse than previous years five seeds? Ok. You realize a 5 seed has made the final four 8 times ever right? 
Last years 5 seeds were Creighton (21-8), Colorado (23-8), Tenn (18-9), and Nova (17-6). 2019 was Miss St (23-11), Marq (24-11), Wisc (23-11), and Auburn (27-9). Im not sure why you think 5 seeds are so great. 
My lady has more understanding of college basketball than you do apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I know exactly what I’m talking about. We have little talent. Nowhere did I say there wasn’t a valid reason for it. Or that Beard can’t do it. In fact I stated the opposite. This has been a disappointing season thus far. We are not a 5 seed. 

So you are here to tell us we aren’t a 5 seed but we are a 6 and that we need more talent, despite the highest ranked portal class last year and around the 10th highest rated incoming freshman class. Thanks for the input.

not sure why I am even doing this, but you also realize Disu was a bust due to injury and we lost Mitchell for the year. Still we were a clear 5 seed in every projection before the TCU loss. A bunch of us that do know what we are talking about and watching realized in early conference play that our preseason ranking was absurd. We have the most unathletic team I can ever recall at Texas. We have the talent level of a team ranked anywhere from 15 to 25 or so and that’s exactly what we’ve been all year. And it’s a freaking miracle that Beard got us there.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So you are here to tell us we aren’t a 5 seed but we are a 6 and that we need more talent, despite the highest ranked portal class last year and around the 10th highest rated incoming freshman class. Thanks for the input.

not sure why I am even doing this, but you also realize Disu was a bust due to injury and we lost Mitchell for the year. Still we were a clear 5 seed in every projection before the TCU loss. A bunch of us that do know what we are talking about and watching realized in early conference play that our preseason ranking was absurd. We have the most unathletic team I can ever recall at Texas. We have the talent level of a team ranked anywhere from 15 to 25 or so and that’s exactly what we’ve been all year. And it’s a freaking miracle that Beard got us there.

Five seeds only win their first round game 59% of the time but apparently we just aren’t as good as all the amazing five seeds of the past.

I think we are a 6(due to TCU bed shit) and if there is a situation where they have to avoid a conf matchup in the 2nd round we could drop to 7.    a 5 would please me because this team can beat a 4 but gonna have trouble with a top 10 type opponent.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

TCU loss was that bad considering the halftime lead. We don’t have the talent level of a 15th ranked team. We have a borderline 25th team. I was unaware seniors in high school not on our roster have anything whatsoever to do with our talent level in ‘21-‘22. Yes, I am aware of Disu and Mitchell. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Five seeds only win their first round game 59% of the time but apparently we just aren’t as good as all the amazing five seeds of the past.

I don’t think a 5 seed is an amazing team in general don’t recall too many 11-loss 5 seeds, 2019 excepted. The Big 12 has a lot of decent teams but only three truly good teams (we are the inverse of SEC football; we are bottom heavy). Only 2 have a legitimate shot at a FF. I think we slightly overrate a conference that will only have 5 tourney teams - only 3 of which have a good chance of making it to 2nd weekend. An 11-loss team doesn’t impress and this one isn’t worthy of a 5 seed. It’s an important distinction because there’s a marked difference between 3 and 4 seed talent levels for 2nd round matchup potential. 

On 3/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, MotownHorn said:

TCU got a board with 25-30 seconds left and we didn't even try to foul until there was 15 seconds left.

That's on the coach, not the players, imo. He should have had them ready to foul immediately.

Wow, you’ve clearly played a lot of basketball. Carr missed a shot with 20 seconds left in a 2 point game and a big man who barely shoots 50% from the line gets the rebound! Do you really think Marcus Carr dribbles into traps continuously all year and coaches haven’t told him that’s a bad idea?? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Joe Lunardi quote criticism of Horns vs Va Tech matchup...

MISS: The committee did 6-seed Texas no favors by under-seeding Virginia Tech as an 11. Then again, what would the tournament be without its share of double-digit winners in the first weekend?

CBS ranking of tournament teams... Texas as #6 seed and VA Tech #7 seed

22   Texas

The Longhorns have not met their preseason hype, but that's OK. This was a team projected to be among the 5-10 best back in October, and it's taken a few twists and turns since then. Chris Beard's group was bounced immediately from the Big 12 Tournament by TCU and now sits in a spot it could take advantage of. Texas is one of the most experienced teams in this tournament, but can it find the consistency that it's been searching for over the past two months? Senior guards Marcus Carr and Andrew Jones are capable, but it's forward Timmy Allen who needs to be the centerpiece if Texas is to make the regional semifinals.

27   Va. Tech

That ACC title game against Duke showed us all why Virginia Tech is not only deserving to be in this field, but why it's a Sweet 16 dark horse, to boot. Mike Young has long been regarded as one of the wiser minds in the game. He's recruited and coached up one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the sport. Justyn Mutts plays as tough as his name sounds. Storm Murphy can make it rain. Hunter Cattoor hunts 3s like his playing time depends on it. Keve Aluma has grown into an opportunistic around-the-rim big who previously was a fledgling player under Young at Wofford. Easy team to root for, and one of the hottest heading into the NCAAs.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, LTtxfan said:

CBS ranking of tournament teams... Texas as #6 seed and VA Tech #7 seed

22   Texas

The Longhorns have not met their preseason hype, but that's OK. This was a team projected to be among the 5-10 best back in October, and it's taken a few twists and turns since then. Chris Beard's group was bounced immediately from the Big 12 Tournament by TCU and now sits in a spot it could take advantage of. Texas is one of the most experienced teams in this tournament, but can it find the consistency that it's been searching for over the past two months? Senior guards Marcus Carr and Andrew Jones are capable, but it's forward Timmy Allen who needs to be the centerpiece if Texas is to make the regional semifinals.

27   Va. Tech

That ACC title game against Duke showed us all why Virginia Tech is not only deserving to be in this field, but why it's a Sweet 16 dark horse, to boot. Mike Young has long been regarded as one of the wiser minds in the game. He's recruited and coached up one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the sport. Justyn Mutts plays as tough as his name sounds. Storm Murphy can make it rain. Hunter Cattoor hunts 3s like his playing time depends on it. Keve Aluma has grown into an opportunistic around-the-rim big who previously was a fledgling player under Young at Wofford. Easy team to root for, and one of the hottest heading into the NCAAs.

Wait, so the Va Tech Coach and big man are former Terriers? Shit just got personal.

8 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Wait, so the Va Tech Coach and big man are former Terriers? Shit just got personal.

VA Tech is Texas' kryptonite - mid-major studs who go off against us. 

Storm Murphy, Keve Aluma and Justyn Mutts are all former Wofford players who followed Young.   Cattoor also committed to Wofford out of HS but signed with VT when Young was hired. 

Mid-major program in a P5 conference ready to kick our ass. 

On 3/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, Js1 said:

VA Tech is Texas' kryptonite - mid-major studs who go off against us. 

Storm Murphy, Keve Aluma and Justyn Mutts are all former Wofford players who followed Young.   Cattoor also committed to Wofford out of HS but signed with VT when Young was hired. 

Mid-major program in a P5 conference ready to kick our ass. 

I bet the Va Tech coach asks one of his players to measure the height of the rim.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Newsflash. Jaden Ivey is pretty good. I mean, I knew that already, but he sure is amazing to watch. @shadow_operative compared him to Ja Morant. He's sure looking it today.

That said, Yale staying in it at the 10m mark, 25-18.

I think our team is way better than most here but Ivey is a different level player. We could definitely beat Purdue but I seriously doubt it with Ivey running the show for them