Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Horns247/Steve Wiltfong/Top247 WR committed to Texas at halftime of National Title game after watching Tide's offensive explosion

Spoiler

Top247 WR committed to Texas at halftime of National Title game after watching Tide's offensive explosion

Steve Wiltfong

As Steve Sarkisian was suiting up for Monday night’s National Title game as Alabama’s offensive coordinator, he was putting in work for his next gig making recruiting calls as the head coach of Texas.

One of the prospects he chatted up was Lewisville (Texas) High Top247 2022 receiver Armani Winfield.

“He had his suit and tie on about to leave the hotel,” Winfield said. “We were really chopping it up about the new era at Texas.”

Sarkisian told Winfield he needed players like him to have the explosive offense he wants to have in Austin. The type of offense that ranked first nationally in passing efficiency this year and second in scoring against an all-SEC schedule and College Football Playoff opponents. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Winfield then witnessed in the first half Heisman Trophy winner Devonta Smith hauling in 12 passes for 215 yards and three touchdowns in an eventual 52-24 win over Ohio State.

“I saw what he did in the first half and I called (Longhorns receivers) Coach (Andre) Coleman and told him I wanted to commit," Winfield said. "He got back to Coach Sark and it was up from there.”

Winfield announced his college plans Tuesday afternoon becoming the first prospect to commit to Sarkisian at his new post, choosing to stay home over the likes of Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. He had close to 40 scholarships total.

“Just the offense, the type of offensive mind he has, how Coach Sark really uses his playmakers, he gets the matches he wants,” Winfield said. He is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the country’s No. 12 receiver and No. 79 prospect overall.

Beyond Sarkisian, Winfield is excited to put on for the Lone Star State.

“Growing up in Texas I always wanted to play in Texas and stay loyal to the soil,” Winfield said.

Through three seasons Winfield has caught 128 passes for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. He also shines in the offseason for True Buzz Athletics and has competed with them since the seventh grade.

“They’re getting a polished route runner, someone who has the desire to be special,” True Buzz’s DeMarquis Brooks said. “He really wants to be great. He’s committed to his work ethic and committed to the game.

“He brings a savviness to the position. He’s bringing the confidence that the Longhorns nation needs and he’s definitely a gifted athlete. I think after a year or two polishing him up he’ll be a great college guy. His frame can carry another 20 pounds easily and he can develop elite speed. I think that’s the underrated part of his game, his speed. You can’t see it because he’s a long-strider so you don’t know how much top-end speed he has but he can definitely get better with a strength and conditioning program.

“He has very fluid hands," Brooks continued. "Has always been a hand catcher. He can torque his body. He can make those difficult catches because he has good body control. He’s a polished receiver, he can run any route on the route tree. You can put him in the slot, if you want to put him outside you can put him outside.

“He’s a technician.”

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sark After Dark having a bunch of connections from playing at BYU will never not be funny to me.

It’s definitely funny, but Norm Chow was extremely innovative at BYU and actually has a pretty impressive coaching tree, so Sark has been set with a strong network since early on and only strengthened that with long stints at USC, the NFL, and Bama. It also doesn’t hurt that everyone he comes across seems to like him. 

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Also not sure that's Thorndale.  I think the arrow is pointing closer to Silsbee, actually.

Ok but if he drove at an average of 55 MPH how long would it take him to get from Silsbee to Austin if he had to make a pit stop in Thorndale? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s definitely funny, but Norm Chow was extremely innovative at BYU and actually has a pretty impressive coaching tree, so Sark has been set with a strong network since early on and only strengthened that with long stints at USC, the NFL, and Bama. It also doesn’t hurt that everyone he comes across seems to like him. 

Ok but if he drove at an average of 55 MPH how long would it take him to get from Silsbee to Austin if he had to make a pit stop in Thorndale? 

Depends on whether he's stopping at [insert JuCo (presumably?) name here] to pick up LaGaryonn Carson.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach

Spoiler

The buzz around Steve Sarkisian has never been hotter than it is right now.

Coming off a dominant performance in the national championship game last night, Sarkisian scored a recruiting win with four-star wide receiver Armani Winfield before his official press conference at Texas, and today is the day to hit the ground running and go after some big targets. Though his staff hasn't been officially announced yet, the members who know they are coming to Texas should be ready to work the phones.

The Longhorns haven't had a lot to sell in over a year, but that has changed. With Sarkisian center stage in a brilliantly called game, the Texas program was able to commandeer part of the spotlight and sell hope and change along with an offense that can feature playmakers. Now is the time to go big game hunting. With last night's performance top of mind, the Longhorns should be aiming their best shots at the best players in the country.

Stan Drayton remains in place for Texas and will provide strong continuity for a talented class of running backs. Andre Coleman's return should see a renewed push with the handcuffs off of him in recruiting. Whether a prospect is committed or a lean shouldn't matter right now. Texas ties shouldn't matter right now. Five-star quarterback Gunner Stockton is on the board after decommitting today. Multiple nationally-ranked prospects around the country are reaching out and trying to get on the Texas radar. There should be no ceiling on what Sarkisian can do right now to try and change the landscape of some of these recruitments.

COMMENTS
Today is the day to make a full-on push for Quinn Ewers and Caleb Burton. Ewers was once a Texas commit who grew up loving the Longhorns. He decommitted and chose Ohio State for their ability to develop players for the next level. If he still loves Texas that much, Sarkisian has shown he can provide all of those same things. Burton is the local five-star prospect who chose Ohio State over Texas continuing a damaging trend for the Longhorns. If he signs with Ohio State next year, Texas needs to make that decision as difficult as possible.

The buzz around the new Texas coach will never be higher than it is now, an d the Longhorns can take advantage of that energy on the recruiting trail.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

At 10:00 Sark makes it clear he will never be a QB power run offense.  Ewers is a pro style guy.  He is made for Sarks offense.  tOSU is not the best fit for him and frankly neither was Hermans.  22:45 - 32 encapsulates Sark.  He only likes moving targets.  He explains how he beats you.  Good insight.  Texas has no lack of skill position guys but imo we need to recruit nationally for some fat oline hosses, especially from SEC states.  Imo if you don't get the cream of Texas linemen the drop off in talent is drastic and inconsistent at best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Horns247/Steve Wiltfong/Top247 WR committed to Texas at halftime of National Title game after watching Tide's offensive explosion

Reveal hidden contents

Top247 WR committed to Texas at halftime of National Title game after watching Tide's offensive explosion

Steve Wiltfong

As Steve Sarkisian was suiting up for Monday night’s National Title game as Alabama’s offensive coordinator, he was putting in work for his next gig making recruiting calls as the head coach of Texas.

One of the prospects he chatted up was Lewisville (Texas) High Top247 2022 receiver Armani Winfield.

“He had his suit and tie on about to leave the hotel,” Winfield said. “We were really chopping it up about the new era at Texas.”

Sarkisian told Winfield he needed players like him to have the explosive offense he wants to have in Austin. The type of offense that ranked first nationally in passing efficiency this year and second in scoring against an all-SEC schedule and College Football Playoff opponents. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Winfield then witnessed in the first half Heisman Trophy winner Devonta Smith hauling in 12 passes for 215 yards and three touchdowns in an eventual 52-24 win over Ohio State.

“I saw what he did in the first half and I called (Longhorns receivers) Coach (Andre) Coleman and told him I wanted to commit," Winfield said. "He got back to Coach Sark and it was up from there.”

Winfield announced his college plans Tuesday afternoon becoming the first prospect to commit to Sarkisian at his new post, choosing to stay home over the likes of Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. He had close to 40 scholarships total.

“Just the offense, the type of offensive mind he has, how Coach Sark really uses his playmakers, he gets the matches he wants,” Winfield said. He is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the country’s No. 12 receiver and No. 79 prospect overall.

Beyond Sarkisian, Winfield is excited to put on for the Lone Star State.

“Growing up in Texas I always wanted to play in Texas and stay loyal to the soil,” Winfield said.

Through three seasons Winfield has caught 128 passes for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. He also shines in the offseason for True Buzz Athletics and has competed with them since the seventh grade.

“They’re getting a polished route runner, someone who has the desire to be special,” True Buzz’s DeMarquis Brooks said. “He really wants to be great. He’s committed to his work ethic and committed to the game.

“He brings a savviness to the position. He’s bringing the confidence that the Longhorns nation needs and he’s definitely a gifted athlete. I think after a year or two polishing him up he’ll be a great college guy. His frame can carry another 20 pounds easily and he can develop elite speed. I think that’s the underrated part of his game, his speed. You can’t see it because he’s a long-strider so you don’t know how much top-end speed he has but he can definitely get better with a strength and conditioning program.

“He has very fluid hands," Brooks continued. "Has always been a hand catcher. He can torque his body. He can make those difficult catches because he has good body control. He’s a polished receiver, he can run any route on the route tree. You can put him in the slot, if you want to put him outside you can put him outside.

“He’s a technician.”

Sark calling recruits hours before the biggest game he's coached. Yeah, I don't think we need to worry about recruiting under him..

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

At 10:00 Sark makes it clear he will never be a QB power run offense.  Ewers is a pro style guy.  He is made for Sarks offense.  tOSU is not the best fit for him and frankly neither was Hermans.  22:45 - 32 encapsulates Sark.  He only likes moving targets.  He explains how he beats you.  Good insight.  Texas has no lack of skill position guys but imo we need to recruit nationally for some fat oline hosses, especially from SEC states.  Imo if you don't get the cream of Texas linemen the drop off in talent is drastic and inconsistent at best. 

damn watched all 40 mins of that. All the shit he spoke about in his press meeting, it's evident here. The motherfucker is genuine and authentic. I'm on board. Choo choo motherfucker. Hand on tight cause we aint got no brakes.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

The other thing that is nice about that video is he flips back and forth showing plays run on college and same play working in NFL. Talks how it's not a gimmick but a scheme that is effective at all levels.

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Some user on IT posted this

Armani just said on his IG live “y’all heard it here first Quinn is going to flip!” Then threw up the Hook ‘Em!

👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀 

🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘 

👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘

👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀  👀🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘  🤘

Edited by Getafix

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Some user on IT posted this

Armani just said on his IG live “y’all heard it here first Quinn is going to flip!” Then threw up the Hook ‘Em!

Usually you get the QB first and have him recruit for you, but in this case we just need to keep grabbing all the top 22 guys and let them recruit Quinn back. He and Burton are gonna get awfully lonely real fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted on the podcast thread on the football board(if you haven’t already, listen, subscribe and give the equivalent of Bijan amount of stars)

we are looking for someone to provide some commit analysis, I love recruiting and follow it closely but I don’t know jack shit about most of these dudes except what the collective hive mind thinks. I don’t want to regurgitate a bunch of 995er drivel and would love for someone from surly to maybe provide a paragraph or two about what we can expect from commits as the sark train gets rolling and either come on the pod or have either me or Rick read it on the pod. I know we have some knowledgeable dudes on the recruiting board who could give us more of a deep dive. @golfclap @Burt Macklin @Fud came to mind but it’s been awhile since the recruiting board has been worth a damn and I know there are more of y’all out there. Hit my PMs

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting